What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

KFAN in MNPLS/STP CONFIRMING Gus Frerotte will START (1 Viewer)

Bump up WRs in Minnesota. They join Tennessee as now having viable WR's in FF. :goodposting:

Frerotte sucks but he is 1000% upgrade of T-Joke.

That it had to come to this is inexcusable.Replacing a guy that you've defended for two years after week two for Gus Frerotte is the height of absurdity.I hate Brad Childress.
It does say a LOT about the team's talent evaluation, doesn't it, that Jsckson has been THE MAN for like 20+ consecutive months despite almost ZERO on field production, and then, after a weak showing in the passing game for 8 DAYS of a 6 month season, they hit the panic button and reach for the ultimate NFL LOSER!At least when J'ville decided to boot Leftwich before last year it was because Garrard was slapping them in the face and screaming that he was a viable NFL winning QB! THIS?Grasping at straws.

I don't know if the playcalling is a product of Childress' ineptness or Jackson's inability to handle an extended playbook.

I'm not sure that Gus is the answer but I think it's evident Jackson is not where they need him to be in order to be a SB contender. Hopefully, Childress is canned after this year and the Vikes make a serious run at an above average QB.

So that leaves us exploring a trade. Who you gonna trade for? (I'd love Brady Quinn...)
Question, AndyIf you could go back to the '07 draft and take Quinn at 1.07 (instead of AD), and keep Chester as the workhorse, would you?
I'm not Andy, but I'll answer this with a resounding no. Yes Quinn is a much better QB than anyone on the current roster, but ADP is in another world talent-wise. I am giddy every Sunday with anticipation to see him run. Will he break the NFL record again? How many jaw-dropping moves will he make today? Who's he gonna embarrass? These are questions I find myself wondering every Sunday. Now I think the Vikings would be a better team with Quinn and Chester than they are with Peterson and Jackson, but they still wouldn't be good enough to go deep in the playoffs. Plus, they might be good enough to allow Childress to keep his job and that would be a worst-case scenario as I don't think he has the talent to ever coach a SB champion.What I would've liked to see was Childress getting Peterson, then finding a good veteran to lead this team. Brees was available and the Vikings never even contacted him. Garcia was available, but again no interest from the Vikings. Pennington just this year could've been a serviceable QB but the Vikings never even looked twice. Each off-season with Minnesota, he had options in veteran QBs to bring in and lead this team, but instead he found backup QBs to hold the place until TJax was ready, or handed the reigns over to Jackson prematurely(as in last year and this year).

What they should have done was given up a first and second to trade up for Jay Cutler in the 2006 draft.

The Broncos traded their first and third to get it done.

I was screaming it then and I'm more pissed about it every day.
Finally somebody gets it right. They were unwilling to pay the price to move up for Cutler but, what did they trade to move up to get Tarvaris? I can remember being pi$$ed when they didn't move up and then completely irate when they traded up for Jackson in the 2nd round. This was/is the one move that will haunt the Vikings for quite awhile. As mentioned in the other posts, who really will be available this offseason? Not getting Cutler will likely set them back 4 or 5 years. Also, weren't the Texans only asking for a 3rd round pick for Rosenfels this year and the Vikings said no? Throw in all the Quarterbacks who were actually or even potentially available over the last couple of years and the fact that they are now going with Frerotte leaves a guy with quite a few questions about the management of the team.

I'm just not seeing right now the aggressiveness from Tarvaris that I saw throughout the off-season, training camp, the two pre-season games he played in.
Brad Childress http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12118_4159666,00.htmlIn other words, he is saying that there is nothing wrong with the playcalling and Jackson is to blame for being too safe with the football. It is going to be interesting to see if the playcalling gets more aggressive with Frerotte at the controls.

What they should have done was given up a first and second to trade up for Jay Cutler in the 2006 draft.

The Broncos traded their first and third to get it done.

I was screaming it then and I'm more pissed about it every day.
Finally somebody gets it right. They were unwilling to pay the price to move up for Cutler but, what did they trade to move up to get Tarvaris? I can remember being pi$$ed when they didn't move up and then completely irate when they traded up for Jackson in the 2nd round. This was/is the one move that will haunt the Vikings for quite awhile. As mentioned in the other posts, who really will be available this offseason? Not getting Cutler will likely set them back 4 or 5 years. Also, weren't the Texans only asking for a 3rd round pick for Rosenfels this year and the Vikings said no? Throw in all the Quarterbacks who were actually or even potentially available over the last couple of years and the fact that they are now going with Frerotte leaves a guy with quite a few questions about the management of the team.
Rumor was Vikings offered a 3rd for Rosenfels and Houston wanted a 2nd. For the record, I thought Trent Green would have been a good pick up for the Vikings. Vikings could have gotten him easily since it looked like nobody wanted him and his contract with the Rams was very inexpensive. Instead, we go with the guy the Rams discarded for Green.

Last edited by a moderator:
[Rumor was Vikings offered a 3rd for Rosenfels and Houston wanted a 2nd. For the record, I thought Trent Green would have been a good pick up for the Vikings. Vikings could have gotten him easily since it looked like nobody wanted him and his contract with the Rams was very inexpensive. Instead, we go with the guy the Rams discarded for Green.
The bottom line appears to be that no matter what, whoever is in charge did not want to bring in ANYONE who would remotely challenge Jackson. Between not signing or trading for any of the veterans who were available and then passing on drafting a QB until later in this draft, they have really put themselves behind the 8 ball.

So that leaves us exploring a trade. Who you gonna trade for? (I'd love Brady Quinn...)
Question, AndyIf you could go back to the '07 draft and take Quinn at 1.07 (instead of AD), and keep Chester as the workhorse, would you?
I'm not Andy, but I'll answer this with a resounding no. Yes Quinn is a much better QB than anyone on the current roster, but ADP is in another world talent-wise. I am giddy every Sunday with anticipation to see him run. Will he break the NFL record again? How many jaw-dropping moves will he make today? Who's he gonna embarrass? These are questions I find myself wondering every Sunday. Now I think the Vikings would be a better team with Quinn and Chester than they are with Peterson and Jackson, but they still wouldn't be good enough to go deep in the playoffs. Plus, they might be good enough to allow Childress to keep his job and that would be a worst-case scenario as I don't think he has the talent to ever coach a SB champion.What I would've liked to see was Childress getting Peterson, then finding a good veteran to lead this team. Brees was available and the Vikings never even contacted him. Garcia was available, but again no interest from the Vikings. Pennington just this year could've been a serviceable QB but the Vikings never even looked twice. Each off-season with Minnesota, he had options in veteran QBs to bring in and lead this team, but instead he found backup QBs to hold the place until TJax was ready, or handed the reigns over to Jackson prematurely(as in last year and this year).
:shrug: Brees was available after they drafted Peterson?

:thumbup: Brees was available after they drafted Peterson?
No, in that situation they would've had Brees already and probably wouldn't have had a poor enough season to warrant the 7th pick in the draft. However, they did have a chance to go get Brees after Chilly had given C-Pep his walking papers. I just worded it poorly in my post. Sorry.

Well, not that I want to get into the habit of defending Childress but there are a lot of teams that wish they had taken Brees a little more seriously when he was available.

Heck no. But maybe they should have done what the Browns did and given up an '08 first (and whatever else it was) for another '07 first and taken Quinn.That would mean they likely wouldn't have the juice to trade for Allen, but I think I'd be okay with that. The idea in getting Allen was that the defensive line would get pressure on the QB and minimize the pressure on the backfield. Well, he's getting pressure and the backfield still stinks.

Heck no. But maybe they should have done what the Browns did and given up an '08 first (and whatever else it was) for another '07 first and taken Quinn.That would mean they likely wouldn't have the juice to trade for Allen, but I think I'd be okay with that. The idea in getting Allen was that the defensive line would get pressure on the QB and minimize the pressure on the backfield. Well, he's getting pressure and the backfield still stinks.
Andy, I haven't given up on the Vikes completely yet. Just grabbed Gus off the wire to back up Cassel.ROLLIN WITH THE BACKUPS, BABY! :lmao:

Not sure I would compare Frerotte's STL performance with the rest of Frerotte's body of work. STL was a horrible team last year with a terrible o-line. Minnesota is so much better on the o-line it's like comparing college to nfl talent. Frerotte looked great in pre-season but more importantly he usually exceeds expectations in actual games I've seen him play in.

Not sure I would compare Frerotte's STL performance with the rest of Frerotte's body of work. STL was a horrible team last year with a terrible o-line. Minnesota is so much better on the o-line it's like comparing college to nfl talent. Frerotte looked great in pre-season but more importantly he usually exceeds expectations in actual games I've seen him play in.
Line should improve when McKinnie gets back.

That it had to come to this is inexcusable.

Replacing a guy that you've defended for two years after week two for Gus Frerotte is the height of absurdity.

I hate Brad Childress.
How about now?
IMO, nothing has changed. Chilly is still playing Chillyball and the Vikings have gotten lucky wins against the Saints, Lions, and Packers (and lost games they should have won against Indy and Chicago). Frerotte has definitely increased the offensive capabilities of the offense but his turnovers are limiting the team in the same way that Jackson's inability to string together series did as well. So in short, the Vikes continue to win games in spite of the QB play, coaching and atrocious special teams on the back of the running game and defense...just as they did down the stretch last year.It will not be enough to keep them in contention because the strategy of "keeping it close" does not work when your special teams are not special and you give the ball back to your opponent.

Chillyball is an absurd way to manage the game. New coach, solid QB and the Vikings are a monster...as they are now, their weaknesses are too easy to exploit for them to be truly dangerous.

Replacing a guy that you've defended for two years after week two for Gus Frerotte is the height of absurdity.

I hate Brad Childress.
How about now?
IMO, nothing has changed. Chilly is still playing Chillyball and the Vikings have gotten lucky wins against the Saints, Lions, and Packers (and lost games they should have won against Indy and Chicago). Frerotte has definitely increased the offensive capabilities of the offense but his turnovers are limiting the team in the same way that Jackson's inability to string together series did as well. So in short, the Vikes continue to win games in spite of the QB play, coaching and atrocious special teams on the back of the running game and defense...just as they did down the stretch last year.It will not be enough to keep them in contention because the strategy of "keeping it close" does not work when your special teams are not special and you give the ball back to your opponent.

Chillyball is an absurd way to manage the game. New coach, solid QB and the Vikings are a monster...as they are now, their weaknesses are too easy to exploit for them to be truly dangerous.
:thumbup:

wholefnshow said:
ScottyFargo said:

I hate Brad Childress.
How about now?

:yes:
;) Vikes fans are the best. Almost as miserable as Raider fans.

Last place.... first place... doesn't matter. Nothing the guy does will be good enough.

wholefnshow said:
ScottyFargo said:

I hate Brad Childress.
How about now?

That's because they always find a way to screw it up, they tried as hard as they could to screw it up against GB but squeeked away with a W. I don't see that happening against TB this week, AD won't be able to rush for almost 200 yards. :football:
:excited: Vikes fans are the best. Almost as miserable as Raider fans.

Last place.... first place... doesn't matter. Nothing the guy does will be good enough.

wholefnshow said:
ScottyFargo said:

I hate Brad Childress.
How about now?

:moneybag:
:banned: Vikes fans are the best. Almost as miserable as Raider fans.

First of all, ouch.Second of all, don't even come to me with your petty problems. At least the Vikes are winning, competitive and not in a state of perpetual total upheavel. Dude, I'd even be happy for a ticket on the Vike party boat!!

Vikes fans are the best. Almost as miserable as Raider fans.

First of all, ouch.Second of all, don't even come to me with your petty problems. At least the Vikes are winning, competitive and not in a state of perpetual total upheavel. Dude, I'd even be happy for a ticket on the Vike party boat!!
Ha. Don't get me wrong, when I said the Vikes win against the Pack was "lucky", I don't think they didn't deserve the win, it's just that no matter how dominant the run game or dominant the defense plays, QB play and special teams are frustrating all the other efforts.I sympathize with Raider fans, it certainly can't be easy to suffer through the turmoil. On the other hand, the Raiders beat the Vikes in Superbowl XI, so...stew in it! :tfp:

Users who are viewing this thread