What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Walter (1 Viewer)

kerpow

Footballguy
I picked him up last week in a pretty deep league and he dramatically exceeded expectations with 12/160. While everyone is waxing lyrical about Owen Daniels this guy is quietly accumulating some decent numbers. No TD's this season but 27 receptions for 328yrds.

Obviously the absense of Andre Johnson is a big factor but it could be a while before he plays again.

Oct 15 Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans WR Andre Johnson (knee) is not going to play Week 7. He could be another two weeks away from returning.

It seems he is filling the role that everyone expected Jacoby Jones to.

One good game. A bunch of bad to mediocre ones.

ETA: But he is headed in the right direction. Guess we'll have to see if he can keep it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
One good game. A bunch of bad ones.
Right, but his good game was last week, which may mean he's earned Schaub's trust as a go-to guy. Because of bye weeks next week he may wind up being my flex guy....tempting at this point. I'm not saying we should expect 30 points every week in PPR leagues, but even if he can become a 5-75 kind of guy, he'll do in a pinch.

Per KFFL, Jacoby Jones is supposed to be back this week. May not cut into Walter's production, but possibly one more mouth to feed.

Per KFFL, Jacoby Jones is supposed to be back this week. May not cut into Walter's production, but possibly one more mouth to feed.
Jacoby Jones was back last week. His job is punt returner and #4 WR. He'll rarely see the field on offense.

Don't be drawn in by a career game. Anyone ever heard of LaShon Johnson? A RB for the Arizona Cardinals that a dozen years ago ripped off a 270-yd. game. He followed that up with a respectable 100-yd. effort the following week but was never heard from again after that.

I would be surprised if Walter provides much more than 40-50 yards per game going forward. Jones maybe played behind him last week but Jones is more talented, Davis is more explosive, and AJ should be back in a few more weeks. Walter might do OK as a filler but consider yourself lucky to get 50 yards.

I think the thing to say about Walter is that he's playing better than most of us thought he would, and that's based on his last 3 games and not on a single game with gaudy numbers. He seems to be getting open more than I had noticed in the past.

Now, how much that will continue to mean production once AJ is back and he's the prime target will remain to be seen. But I think Walter has earned himself the #2 spot which is something that much of the fan base hadn't really seen that he'd done yet. My only question there is what do you do when AJ is back as far as position. I like Walter in the slot and Andre Davis on the outside more than vice versa.

Don't be drawn in by a career game. Anyone ever heard of LaShon Johnson? A RB for the Arizona Cardinals that a dozen years ago ripped off a 270-yd. game. He followed that up with a respectable 100-yd. effort the following week but was never heard from again after that.
A valid point no doubt, but the story here might be a bit different from LaShon Johnson's (whose story I admittedly do not recall). Houston has a less than stellar running attack, and while their defense has played well at times, it has not been able to control games. Typically Houston is throwing the ball in the second half, and throwing a lot. Matt Schaub is so far 9th in the NFL in pass attempts and 4th in passing yards. And their passing attack is not based on checkdowns to RBs. He's throwing downfield. Kevin Walter is in the top 30 in both targets in receipts. True, this would not be possible w/out last week's blowup, but it's worth noting that this did not come out of nowhere. In a ppr league, he's put up 13.7, 12.6 and 28 points respectively in the last three games based only on receptions and yards, no TDs. He's got the same number of targets as Owen Daniels year to date, and a terrific target/reception ratio. And while Andre Davis has played fairly well, he fumbled away a sure TD about a foot from the goal line last week. Now this may all be pointless banter when viewed from hindsight, but looking at his situation going forward, Kevin Walter seems to be a pretty solid choice for a team suffering from bye week doldrums or poor WR depth. We'll never refer to him as KW, but we shouldn't sleep on him either. I for one would consider playing him next week over someone like Santonio Holmes who even if healthy will face Denver's tremendous pass defense.

Stewy said:
zamboni said:
Jacoby Jones was back last week. His job is punt returner and #4 WR. He'll rarely see the field on offense.
Not true. Kubiak said he didn't think it was fair to Anderson to move him out of the No. 3 WR role so he kept Jones as the No. 4 in his first game back. Assuming Jones has no setbacks it's likely he'll be at least the No. 3 WR this week and should regain his starting job in the next few weeks (although maybe it'll be after the bye). The Texans' offense is having major problems putting points on the board and they need to get some playmakers on the field. Jones fits the bill.And no, I'm not a Jones owner.I think Walter's worth a look as a WR3 in PPR leagues until Jones gets up to speed and as long as Johnson is out. Davis has had some brutal luck - having one TD overturned and fumbling a TD out of the end zone in the past couple of games. I still think he's the WR to have in Houston as long as Johnson is out.

I think Walter's worth a look as a WR3 in PPR leagues until Jones gets up to speed and as long as Johnson is out. Davis has had some brutal luck - having one TD overturned and fumbling a TD out of the end zone in the past couple of games. I still think he's the WR to have in Houston as long as Johnson is out.

:shrug:

Jacoby wasnt really doing much with or without Johnson. Davis did quite a bit more before a rough patch, Walter hasnt been do much either. If Jacoby is going against a #3 or 4 DB- Jones probably has more talent in that match up and might produce some decent games.

When AJ comes back I see Walter - the possession receiver - opposite him and Andre Davis as the slot receiver. With the way Davis has been able to get downfield and catch the long heave, I don't think Jones is going to get significant time at WR.

In my league Davis and Walter have scored the same number of points, and they're both still behind Johnson. But Walter definitely has the advantage on targets.

Users who are viewing this thread