What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Jones re-signs with the Bears (1 Viewer)

foxco

Footballguy
(Rotoworld) Bears agreed to terms with RB Kevin Jones on a two-year contract worth approximately $3.5 million.

Analysis: The Bears had talked about finding a back to pair with Matt Forte, but in the end they're settling for Jones. They matched two offers from the Bills, so it looks like they believe another year removed from ACL surgery will allow him to contribute more offensively than he did last year with just 34 carries.

I like Jones and although still capable, he'll never be the back he was when he entered the league and this has to be taken as good news for Forte and his owners.

I like Jones and although still capable, he'll never be the back he was when he entered the league and this has to be taken as good news for Forte and his owners.
Agreed, he will never be the back he once was. Hopefully he can help the team out and be that guy that can give Forte a breather once and awhile.

He might not have the physical gifts he once had, but the guy is all heart. I gained a ton of respect from him when he walked into Lovie Smith's office and said something to the effect of "I see I'm not getting any carries and that's okay, but I want to help the team out in some way... can I play special teams". The very next game he made great plays on downing punts and also made two solo tackles. I said it last season and I'll say it again, anybody that has that kind of heart and determination with decent ability, will always have a locker in an NFL locker room.Link for the story... http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2008/de...rs-chicagodec14

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice article.

A healthy KJ is a nice backup RB to have. If I was a Bears fan I would know the backup can easily shoulder the load for 2-3 games if Forte went down.

Why?clearly 32 teams agree with you, but I'm curious why his career as a starter ended so quick.He was an impressive player on a bad team not too long ago and without him playing well, the Lions just got worse so maybe even more valuable than I thought back then.

Agreed, he will never be the back he once was. Hopefully he can help the team out and be that guy that can give Forte a breather once and awhile.
#1 ranked running back in the country coming out of High School, it has been downhill since.

#1 ranked running back in the country coming out of High School, it has been downhill since.
Maybe I need to clean my glasses, but I always thought KJ did ok in Detroit given the abysmal coaching and the O-Line play. The guy finished RB9 in 2006 points per game in my league. That was quite impressive in my opinion given what was going on there. Not every RB can finish top 10 in a very crappy situation. I always had respect for him, he was doing his best out there.

Maybe I need to clean my glasses, but I always thought KJ did ok in Detroit given the abysmal coaching and the O-Line play. The guy finished RB9 in 2006 points per game in my league. That was quite impressive in my opinion given what was going on there. Not every RB can finish top 10 in a very crappy situation. I always had respect for him, he was doing his best out there.
I just remember how he was recruited out of HS and then didn't quite live up the hype in college and then has had a mediocre career NFL wise (this was not totally his fault - Detroit was full of crappy players and management).

I just remember how he was recruited out of HS and then didn't quite live up the hype in college and then has had a mediocre career NFL wise (this was not totally his fault - Detroit was full of crappy players and management).
he was one of the most electric RB's i've ever seen in College, of course he wasn't really used as a workhorse till late b/c of lee suggs. he probably was never meant to be a workhorse and thats exactly what Detroit wanted when they drafted him.

He was the best rookie RB of his class that first year on a very bad team. What happened? Injuries and an inept team management. Personally, I think he can still be very good although he just doesn't have the physical durability to start 16 games. Last season he was still coming back from surgery. This season he will be healthy for the first time in three years and I think that is why CHI outbid Buffalo, who supposedly made him two offers. He did generate interest on the FA market and the contract he signed was NOT a vet minimum. I think he will get more carries than people expect because I think CHI is going to want to use Forte less in order to keep him from wearing down and getting hurt. And if he does get hurt KJ will do much better than alot of people think. Despite the common opinion he is worth owning as a handcuff for Forte owners in leagues with large rosters.

lol I don't know if KJ is worth holding in Fantasyland. But if I was a coach or GM I wouldn't mind seeing him as one of my reserve RB's at all. I have a ton of respect for him, he doesn't make excuses for himself so I don't think anybody else has to. It's very hard to find a player that doesn't point the finger and he's making lemonade out of the lemons he's been given.

Realistically, he should still get the veteran minimum where ever he goes and for it to be special teams or a 3rd down back or just a reserve back in general is a blessing. The guy won't take a full pounding and he's probably making more then 90% of the board members. I'm one of the few that think Jim Sorgi has the best job in the NFL lol.

Just when I was worried that the Bears weren't going to do anything to help themselves in free agency - my mind's at ease now. :pics:

Come on Angelo, please acknowledge that the Bears have more holes than can be filled in the upcoming draft.

We do disagree. As for depth, I have little reservations rolling into a season with Kevin Jones, Adrian Peterson, and Garrett Wolfe as the #2, #3, and #4 RB options. I think RB-wise the Bears are in better shape than they have been in a long time. I don't think Kevin Jones is a worldbeater but compared to the #2 RB's thoughout the league a healthy Kevin Jones is solid. Of course if Jones goes down injured everything changes, but that's true for every roster in the league.

Currently listed as #2 RB

Ahmad Bradshaw

Antonio Pittman

Brandon Jackson

Chauncey Washington

Chester Taylor

Chris Brown

Correll Buckhalter

Darren McFadden

Darren Sproles

Derrick Ward

Donald Brown

Felix Jones

Fred Jackson

Glenn Coffee

Jamaal Charles

Jerious Norwood

Jerome Harrison

Jonathan Stewart

Kenny Watson

Kevin Faulk

Kevin Jones

Ladell Betts

LenDale White

LeSean McCoy

Maurice Morris

Mewelde Moore

Ray Rice

Reggie Bush

Ricky Williams

Shonn Greene

T.J. Duckett

Tim Hightower

We do disagree. As for depth, I have little reservations rolling into a season with Kevin Jones, Adrian Peterson, and Garrett Wolfe as the #2, #3, and #4 RB options. I think RB-wise the Bears are in better shape than they have been in a long time. I don't think Kevin Jones is a worldbeater but compared to the #2 RB's thoughout the league a healthy Kevin Jones is solid. Of course if Jones goes down injured everything changes, but that's true for every roster in the league. Currently listed as #2 RBAhmad BradshawAntonio PittmanBrandon JacksonChauncey WashingtonChester TaylorChris BrownCorrell BuckhalterDarren McFaddenDarren SprolesDerrick WardDonald BrownFelix JonesFred JacksonGlenn CoffeeJamaal CharlesJerious NorwoodJerome HarrisonJonathan StewartKenny WatsonKevin FaulkKevin JonesLadell BettsLenDale WhiteLeSean McCoyMaurice MorrisMewelde MooreRay RiceReggie BushRicky WilliamsShonn GreeneT.J. DuckettTim Hightower
You're making my point.I would place Kevin Jones in the lower 1/4 of these backups.In a dynasty league, I would place Kevin Jones AHEAD of the following RBs,provided you replace Faulk with with Taylor or Maroney, and replace Chauncey with Jennings.PittmanChris BrownBuckhalterWatsonDuckettMooreWe are only talking about #2 RBs here.I'll take Coffee and Sheets combo over Jones and Peterson in a dynasty.I'll also roll the dice on Rashad Jennings over Kevin Jones at the point in his career.In my opinion, 6 teams have a worse #2 RB scenario using your player list..

They matched two offers from the Bills
That's interesting to me... I'm wondering if this was before/after the Bills signed Rhodes, and what it means for Lynch's future. Not that I think Jones could replace Lynch, but I wonder if it's an indication the team isn't satisfied with Lynch.

There has already been talk that Jones is looking quicker this year than last (which makes sense given his health issues). I think he makes a solid RB2 for the team. - Forte is clearly going to get a ton of touches again this year, but Jones should be an effective backup. If Forte were to go down for an extended period due to injury, I would have concerns about Jones’ ability to play a large role for Chicago and stay healthy himself, but I would guess it would be a full on RBBC if that were to happen (Forte injury).

Users who are viewing this thread