What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kenny Bell thread (2 Viewers)

I liked this guy last year more than I like any of this years receivers in the rookie crop. I would be shocked and disappointed if he failed so quickly.

A "lock" to make the team? The fact that this has to be stated is concerning.

Drafted him last year in one rookie draft. Him and Smelter get thrown in to a lot of trade offers. I'd have no problem moving him but I'm not going to sell him off for nothing. 

At some point VJax is going to step aside for someone else. Is it this year? Maybe. I'd like to hear that Bell has secured the 3rd WR and/or slot role by third preseason game. 

Drafted him last year in one rookie draft. Him and Smelter get thrown in to a lot of trade offers. I'd have no problem moving him but I'm not going to sell him off for nothing. 

At some point VJax is going to step aside for someone else. Is it this year? Maybe. I'd like to hear that Bell has secured the 3rd WR and/or slot role by third preseason game. 
A sportswriter posting random thoughts - probably after a few stiff drinks - in June concerns you?  I'd love for someone of my leaguemates to share this mindset. 

A sportswriter posting random thoughts - probably after a few stiff drinks - in June concerns you?  I'd love for someone of my leaguemates to share this mindset. 
A 24 year old player that hasn't played a down, has injury issues, is not the current WR3, was 5th round pick and the "nice" article about him is that he is a lock to make the team. I'm not down on Bell either but it's important to understand that at this point he is still a flyer. At best he's the number 2 behind Evans. So, likely a nice depth player. Maybe a WR3? 

I'd be pretty happy to have my league mates thinking like you. Sounds like I'd get a nice reception in the Dynasty Trades thread when I sold Bell to you. Since I already said I'd rejected bad offers, you must be making me pretty good ones. Or by "mindset" you meant something else, like my stunning good looks and wonderful smile :D  

A 24 year old player that hasn't played a down, has injury issues, is not the current WR3, was 5th round pick and the "nice" article about him is that he is a lock to make the team. I'm not down on Bell either but it's important to understand that at this point he is still a flyer. At best he's the number 2 behind Evans. So, likely a nice depth player. Maybe a WR3? 

I'd be pretty happy to have my league mates thinking like you. Sounds like I'd get a nice reception in the Dynasty Trades thread when I sold Bell to you. Since I already said I'd rejected bad offers, you must be making me pretty good ones. Or by "mindset" you meant something else, like my stunning good looks and wonderful smile :D  
Yeah, well whatever. 

You just keep on wetting your pants every time a sportswriter posts any stray thoughts in the offseason. 

The front office and coaching staff is high on Bell. They didn't draft or sign anyone. He will be their third WR this year, and could slide into the second outside spot once VJAX is gone. 

Yeah, and I do have some concern that Murphy may be just good enough to stunt Bell's production in the offense unti V-Jax goes hurdling off the cliff(which is sooner than later imo) and TB is forced to invest a high pick for a legit threat across from Evans next year.... especially if ASJ may be slipping toward bust.

I am a fan of Bell's talent but the time is now if he wants to carve out a role in this offense. As a 5th round pick if he can't easily beat out Murphy and completely own the slot job at the start of the year he may just be a guy that fights for a roster spot every year.

Let's wait until the pads get on. Bell will be much better than Louis and will win the third WR spot, I have no doubt about it. The reviews have been positive and at the moment it's all just guessing and every opinion is just guessing, but IMO Bell will win the job and win the confidence of coach too and secure his spot with the Bucs. There's no need to wonder what Bucs will draft next year, it's  so far away...

(RotoWire) Bell was impressive once again in Wednesday's mini-camp session, notching several touchdown grabs, Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

Analysis: The former Cornhusker continues to make up for lost time after having sat all of his rookie campaign in 2015 with a hamstring injury. Bell has been impressive throughout the offseason, and turned heads again Wednesday with several touchdown grabs from backup quarterback Ryan Griffin. The 23-year-old has received extra reps this week due to veteran Vincent Jackson sitting for precautionary reasons, and he's used the opportunity to catch the eye of his head coach. "Kenny definitely had a good day today and a couple really nice throws there in the red zone from Griff (Griffin)," coach Dirk Koetter said. "If you were out here enough, every guy has his ups and downs, has his good days and bad days and Kenny certainly made a couple plays."

Pewter Report's Zach Shapiro expects Kenny Bell to battle Donteea Dye for the Buccaneers' last receiver spot.
Earlier this offseason it looked like Bell was primed to be the Bucs' third receiver behind starters Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson. Now he might be on the roster bubble. Adam Humphries and Russell Shepard have moved ahead of him on the depth chart, leaving Dye and Bell to battle for the fifth and final spot. Dye nabbed 11 catches for 132 yards in 2015 while Bell sat out with a hamstring injury. Bell's best chance of making the team might be as a kick returner, though a strong camp will have him back in the mix for No. 3 duties.

Source: Pewter Report 
Jul 12 - 2:31 PM

So confusing. One day he is making big plays the next he is barely making the team.
It's the same way with ASJ. One week he's the key to the offense. Then he's losing his job. Then he's thrown out of practice for not knowing the plays..... it's not even a new playbook. Maybe the entire state of FL is a nexus and we should drive our car into a pond and take a nap until the season starts and we can really find out what is going on. Or just take a nap until everyone vacates a museum.... and break OUT of the museum we are locked in. I have never been to Florida but it sounds like a pretty crazy swamp.

Pre-camp reports are often a mixed review of media speculation and coachspeak.  Filter those reports with what we know about Bell:  hard worker, no character concerns, productive college career, standout at last year's combine, solid camp reports before his hamstring injury last August, can contribute on special teams, attended team meetings and even traveled with the team last season, learning the playbook and nuances of the pro game and developing a rapport with teammates and coaching staff, and the Bucs did not add significant competition.  Bell is somewhat undersized and has only a fifth round pedigree, and he will not be handed anything, but I believe in Bell's work ethic and talent, and the opportunity he has in front of him.  I fully expect Bell to not only make the roster but to become a contributor for the Bucs this season.  Vincent Jackson is 33, so Bell is a dynasty prospect to watch, but barring injuries to Jackson or Evans, he may have limited value in redrafts this season.

The media has basically nothing to write about.  The Bucs did not draft nor did they sign a WR in free agency.  That's really all you need to know about how they regard their WR corps.  Bell is a big time dynasty buy.

Bucs coach Dirk Koetter called out second-year WR Kenny Bell for needing to show more consistency.
"You take a guy like Kenny Bell," said Koetter. "Two days ago, he looked like the MVP out there and then he disappeared yesterday." The Bucs are hoping Bell can nail down their third receiver job, which may eventually go to Louis Murphy (ACL) if Bell doesn't step up. The Bucs are hurting for receiver depth.

Source: Tampa Bay Times 
Jul 31 - 10:51 PM

I have always been kind of meh on Kenny Bell.  I always thought they should have drafted Rashad Greene.  Anyways, it's sounding like he isn't making a huge splash or anything so far.  Koetter named Alan Humphreys as the #3.  This wasn't too surprising to me.  He was pretty consistent last season, and versatile.  WR depth is concerning. When Evans or V-Jax go out, it's going to be thin.

Just heard the audio of Koetter naming Humpries the #3.  He said "its not even close" or something along those lines.  Either Humpries is really good, which Jameis even called him a 3rd down machine, or the #4, 5, 6 WRs really suck.  Humpries did well with V-Jax out, so you have to wonder what a guy like him could do with a healthy Evans/V-Jax.  He might be open quite a bit, and Jameis already had a nice rapport with him.

Grahamburn said:
It's refreshing how honest he is.  I hope he's able to continue it.  In today's media market it will be a challenge. 
And he just said this on the radio:

"Well, I just told the print guys over there. You know, we can end the big secrecy about who the #3 is. I mean Adam Humphries is our #3. I mean it's not even close. That kid is as solid as you can get. Always does the right thing. The Players see it. The Coaches see it. So we might as well quit fooling around... "
-Dirk Koetter on how the race for the #3 WR spot is looking

Keep in mind that is much more related to the slot WR position.  I still expect Bell to be the primary backup on the outside.

I think I've still got him in one of my dynasty leagues, but I've never been that high on Bell's NFL prospects. He'd be a special teams demon on returns if he wanted to focus there, but he just doesn't have the build and natural feel for the position to be a top flight WR or really anything other than a 4th/5th receiver on an NFL team. 

I think I've still got him in one of my dynasty leagues, but I've never been that high on Bell's NFL prospects. He'd be a special teams demon on returns if he wanted to focus there, but he just doesn't have the build and natural feel for the position to be a top flight WR or really anything other than a 4th/5th receiver on an NFL team. 
I think he was working at returns, so that may be where he catches on.  I'm not sure if it was his fast 40 time or what, but this guy has always seemed over hyped to me.  How often does a 5th round WR pan out?  

(RotoWire) Bell had a particularly productive day on offense in Tuesday's practice, including a touchdown in seven-on-seven drills, the team's official site reports.

Analysis: The second-year speedster is already working as the first-team kickoff returner, but the Bucs also have high hopes for him as a backup receiver on the outside. Bell certainly provided encouraging results in that vein Tuesday, recording a pair of catches on back-to-back plays in the two-minute drill while playing with the second-team offense, and following up with an impressive touchdowns in seven-on-sevens later in the session. The Nebraska product figures to be one of the most closely watched players during preseason, as he tries to make a notable impression following a rookie campaign spent on IR.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10538/kenny-bell

Bucs WR Kenny Bell was held without a catch on two targets in Thursday's preseason opener.

It was the night from hell for the bubble wideout, who fumbled the opening kickoff before showing stone hands on his two targets and getting called for offensive pass interference. The 2015 fifth-rounder is now in grave danger of not making the team after missing his entire rookie year with injury. Aug 11 - 11:16 PM

:sadbanana:

Bucs WR Kenny Bell appears to be behind Adam Humphries, Russell Shepard, and Donteea Dye on the depth chart.
Bell looks to be on the wrong side of the roster bubble. Beat writer Roy Cummings has Humphries and Shepard as the favorites for the Nos. 3 and 4 jobs, with Dye emerging as the candidate for the final receiver spot. Since a horrible preseason opener, Bell has been working with the threes in practice.

Source: 620 Tampa 
Aug 26 - 12:24 PM

Bucs WR Kenny Bell appears to be behind Adam Humphries, Russell Shepard, and Donteea Dye on the depth chart.
Oh, geez...

Thanks for the update, Faust. I will wait before cutting him, but it appears that I have held him in six dynasty leagues for over a year for naught.

You roll the dice, sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

I am beginning to think in the future to never hold on my roster a player that redshirt's their rookie season (See also Deandre Smelter).

Kevin White, Breshaud Perriman...
Fine, and let's see how they do when they actually see the field in a regular season game.

And dude, are you really comparing the unheralded Kenny Bell to hyped prospects and higher round picks like White and Perriman? Please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fine, and let's see how they do when they actually see the field in a regular season game.

And dude, are you really comparing the unheralded Kenny Bell to hyped prospects and higher round picks like White and Perriman? Please.
What's the cutoff, then?  Devin Smith?

(Rotoworld) Free agent WR Kenny Bell worked out for the Browns. Analysis: It's his first known interest since getting released with an injury settlement before Week 1. The Browns are desperate for receiver help with Corey Coleman (hand) out 4-6 weeks, but Bell wouldn't be more than sub-package depth.

(Rotoworld) Free agent WR Kenny Bell worked out for the Browns. Analysis: It's his first known interest since getting released with an injury settlement before Week 1. The Browns are desperate for receiver help with Corey Coleman (hand) out 4-6 weeks, but Bell wouldn't be more than sub-package depth.
Translation: he still has no fantasy value even in deep dynasty leagues.

no, he's responding to your blanket statement that pretty much compares every red shirt rookie. you were the one who put Bell, White, and Perriman in the same grouping and he pointed out that they should not be comparable. 

Users who are viewing this thread