What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keeper - Gronk or Michael Thomas (1 Viewer)

themitch

Footballguy
Hey Everyone,

I play in a 12 team PPR keeper league - Anyone picked after the 4th round is eligible to be kept forever.  Currently, I have to choose between keeping Michael Thomas or Gronk.  Gronk is obviously a beast if healthy, but that's a big if.  Thomas is the WR1 for New Orleans with Cook gone and he's young. Decisions ... decisions ...

Other Notable Keepers in the league:

• David Johnson
  • Odell Beckham
  • Amari Cooper
  • Jordan Howard
  • Melvin Gordon
  • Jay Ajayi

Wow, that is a tough choice.  For me it would depend on the rest of your lineup, and how strong you think your team is.

If you are solidly in a "contend for the championship" window for the next year or two, I'd probably still keep Gronk for the weekly positional advantage he offers when healthy.  Even then, it's hard to pass on a guy like Thomas, so unless I was dead set on winning this year's Super Bowl, I'd lean that way.

I should clarify, we refresh the rosters except for 1 keeper.  This is a redraft league, but we are able to keep 1 player picked after the 4th round.

Ah right...head is too much in dynasty mode this time of year.

I think I'd go Thomas in that case.  You are far more likely to be keeping him for the next 5 years than you are Gronk.

I think I would keep Gronk.  He is such a huge difference maker and with the ability to only keep one player from year to year you want to maximize the advantage that one player will give you.  I understand the desire to go with Thomas because you will theoretically get to keep a useful Thomas longer than a useful Gronk however you will get a new batch of potential keepers every year and I think it would be easier to find someone more similar to Thomas than to Gronk.  Keep Gronk for as long as he gives you the big advantage.  You will be able to find the new Thomas relatively easily.

Its close, but I'd keep Thomas. I understand the positional edge Gronk gives, but his question marks far outweigh that of Thomas. Gronk has multiple injury woes, his team just added Cooks(as opposed to subtracting him in Thomas case) which could lead to less usage for Gronk. The fact that you can keep 1 guy for as long as you want sways it even more in Thomas favor. 

Its close, but I'd keep Thomas. I understand the positional edge Gronk gives, but his question marks far outweigh that of Thomas. Gronk has multiple injury woes, his team just added Cooks(as opposed to subtracting him in Thomas case) which could lead to less usage for Gronk. The fact that you can keep 1 guy for as long as you want sways it even more in Thomas favor. 
I think it is the opposite.  You can keep only 1 guy total so it's not something that is going to carry your team forever.  Do you think Thomas is that much better than someone you can get next year or the year after or the year after?  I think the advantage Gronk gives at his position is much greater than what Thomas does at his - even if it is just for one or two years.  The likelihood of drafting someone equivalent to Thomas this year is good so if Gronk explodes and can't play again you will find someone similar to Thomas to keep for future years.

I just don't see that Thomas is that much of an advantage as a keeper when you can only keep one guy. 

If you really want to leverage your keeper for maximum long-term advantage, I suppose you keep Gronk and look to deal him in a package during the season for Beckham, Elliott or whoever your #1 dynasty asset is.

I think it is the opposite.  You can keep only 1 guy total so it's not something that is going to carry your team forever.  Do you think Thomas is that much better than someone you can get next year or the year after or the year after?  I think the advantage Gronk gives at his position is much greater than what Thomas does at his - even if it is just for one or two years.  The likelihood of drafting someone equivalent to Thomas this year is good so if Gronk explodes and can't play again you will find someone similar to Thomas to keep for future years.

I just don't see that Thomas is that much of an advantage as a keeper when you can only keep one guy. 
Well, its one guy who was drafted after round 4, as I read it. So I don't think its any lock that a better player than Thomas will come around after round 4 in the near future.

I'd take Thomas before Gronk in a redraft, so I see no reason not to in this league, which is essentially a redraft as well. 

Its kinda funny, I thought I was higher than most on Gronk, but apparently that is not the case.

I love both players but Micheal Thomas would be my choice.  Gronk has had problems staying on the field and Thomas is possible the next Julio.

If there's no round difference, I'd keep Thomas. He's being drafted above Gronk, thus he's the higher value. Thomas probably regresses from last year due to tougher coverage, but Gronk gets hurt all the time, so it probably evens out.

Unless there is a high TE PPR disperity (more than 1 point better than the PPR for WR) then I don't think this is even a contest. Michael Thomas is several years younger, put up good WR1 numbers when he was his team's WR2 IN HIS ROOKIE SEASON. As far as dynasty value, I firmly believe he blows Gronk out of the water. Four, maybe even three years ago I go with Gronk. Now, Michael Thomas with no reservations.

I think I'm going to go with Thomas.  I pick 1.11, so I believe I'll be able to get Gronk still on the 2.02 turn in case he does blow up this year, but I don't know how much Gronk has left in the tank, and Thomas should be a high end WR1 for years to come.

Users who are viewing this thread