What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keelan Cole, WR, Jets (1 Viewer)

Is Cole immune to Bortles wayward passes?

cant say I've seen all his targets but he did manage to find him last year in all the right places 

i had Bortles Brees and Goff in a best ball last year and I don't recall Brees making the final lineup much at all

John Brown, Gallup, Golladay, Lockett, Godwin, Cole, Taywan Taylor, Sutton

Just some names that pop up around his WR ADP.

Not saying these other guys are so much better but they're all darts and when taking the Jags offense into consideration I'd put a few of these guys ahead of Cole by situation alone but I won't be floored or anything if Cole emerges from all of them, or not.

Gotta love draft time. Always so many juicy flyers and then the season starts and splat...

John Brown, Gallup, Golladay, Lockett, Godwin, Cole, Taywan Taylor, Sutton

Just some names that pop up around his WR ADP.

Not saying these other guys are so much better but they're all darts and when taking the Jags offense into consideration I'd put a few of these guys ahead of Cole by situation alone but I won't be floored or anything if Cole emerges from all of them, or not.

Gotta love draft time. Always so many juicy flyers and then the season starts and splat...
Cole, Golladay and Godwin are dudes I'm actively targeting. Taylor and Brown less so since I play in full ppr. I'm not interested in Lockett or the rooks. 

Really unfortunate for Lee. But Cole and Chark are about to kill it.

Also, I wonder if this leads to Lazard getting a spot, or if he is too different of a player and someone like Greene or Mickens will stay on.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is Cole's upside for this season? I'd be surprised if he had 1000 and 6, but that would make him a top 20 WR last year. 

What is Cole's upside for this season? I'd be surprised if he had 1000 and 6, but that would make him a top 20 WR last year. 
I think 1,000 yards and 6 TDs is very doable.  The bulk of his 748 yards last year were in the second half of the season (including a game of 7-186-1).

He's a stud.  The biggest thing holding him down, imo, is the offense being more run oriented.   

Is Cole immune to Bortles wayward passes?

cant say I've seen all his targets but he did manage to find him last year in all the right places 

i had Bortles Brees and Goff in a best ball last year and I don't recall Brees making the final lineup much at all
I think the deeper the ball is or more touch it needs the worse Bortles is. Cole works a lot in the LOS-15 yard range. As a guy who had Allen Robinson two seasons in a row, I can confirm the deeper honeybaked ham ball from Bortles is an adventure.

On a separate note I'm happy AR15 is in Chicago. Trubisky can't be as inaccurate.

i see cole as a safe WR3ish type, especially with lee out of the picture.

personally, i think dede has a bit more upside and i'd be less surprised if he vaulted into WR2 territory this season, especially considering how good he looked down the stretch after so much time away. the team looked committed to giving him the ball when he was available even after missing all that practice and game time. (he got 65 targets compared to 55 for cole after dede came back.)

i see cole as the safer bet based on depth chart and preseason buzz and dede as the homerun bet. but both are bargains at their ADP...

The unofficial depth chart has Moncrief and Westbrook taking away from each other as the Y and Cole as the #1 receiver (X). Moncrief is also the slot guy so we'll see how it breaks down.

I think the deeper the ball is or more touch it needs the worse Bortles is. Cole works a lot in the LOS-15 yard range. As a guy who had Allen Robinson two seasons in a row, I can confirm the deeper honeybaked ham ball from Bortles is an adventure.

On a separate note I'm happy AR15 is in Chicago. Trubisky can't be as inaccurate.
That year Robinson exploded his adot was 14.9 yards and he had 356 yac on 80 receptions. To put it into context, last year Cole's adot was 12 yards and he had 299 yac on 42 receptions. It makes sense since Cole lined up in the slot a bit more than Robinson. Like you said Cole is more involved in the short-intermediate passing game. Really none of Lee, Cole or Westbrook's average depth of target came close to what JAC was trying to force with Robinson, they've reeled Bortles in quite a bit.

That year Robinson exploded his adot was 14.9 yards and he had 356 yac on 80 receptions. To put it into context, last year Cole's adot was 12 yards and he had 299 yac on 42 receptions. It makes sense since Cole lined up in the slot a bit more than Robinson. Like you said Cole is more involved in the short-intermediate passing game. Really none of Lee, Cole or Westbrook's average depth of target came close to what JAC was trying to force with Robinson, they've reeled Bortles in quite a bit.
I PRAY Coughlin and Co keep doing that. Keep Bortles throwing short and the occasional deep shot to keep defenses honest. I hear things like they feel Bortles is ready to be unleashed and my mind automatically thinks of poor ARob and Honeybaked Hams  :porked:

I PRAY Coughlin and Co keep doing that. Keep Bortles throwing short and the occasional deep shot to keep defenses honest. I hear things like they feel Bortles is ready to be unleashed and my mind automatically thinks of poor ARob and Honeybaked Hams :porked:
I don't know, it actually bit them in the ### last year.

"In weeks 11, 12, 13, 15 and 17 JAC lead in the second half but lost every single game. If fewer than three receivers were in on any play they ran 100% of the time with a 29% success rate." - Warren Sharp

They don't trust Bortles and played scared towards the end of last year. That's the difference between winners and losers - I mean Doug Pederson literally wrote a book titled "Fearless: How an Underdog Becomes a Champion." If you can't trust your QB to win games for you then he probably shouldn't be your QB.

i see cole as a safe WR3ish type, especially with lee out of the picture.

personally, i think dede has a bit more upside and i'd be less surprised if he vaulted into WR2 territory this season, especially considering how good he looked down the stretch after so much time away. the team looked committed to giving him the ball when he was available even after missing all that practice and game time. (he got 65 targets compared to 55 for cole after dede came back.)

i see cole as the safer bet based on depth chart and preseason buzz and dede as the homerun bet. but both are bargains at their ADP...
It's all just personal opinion I know, but I will never understand the fantasy community's fascination with Westbrook. I think it's because he has a cool name that people like to say. 

I don't know, it actually bit them in the ### last year.

"In weeks 11, 12, 13, 15 and 17 JAC lead in the second half but lost every single game. If fewer than three receivers were in on any play they ran 100% of the time with a 29% success rate." - Warren Sharp

They don't trust Bortles and played scared towards the end of last year. That's the difference between winners and losers - I mean Doug Pederson literally wrote a book titled "Fearless: How an Underdog Becomes a Champion." If you can't trust your QB to win games for you then he probably shouldn't be your QB.
They actually went 3-2 in those games.  And that includes a week 17 loss that I believe was meaningless to them.

They actually went 3-2 in those games. And that includes a week 17 loss that I believe was meaningless to them.
Yeah, he's actually referring to 2016 with the point being that Hackett didn't learn from those mistakes in 2017 and committed them vs. NE in the AFC championship. I didn't quote enough of what he said.  :bag:  

It's all just personal opinion I know, but I will never understand the fantasy community's fascination with Westbrook. I think it's because he has a cool name that people like to say. 

haha

the fantasy community often loves talented players who slide in the draft because of character issues and dede fits that profile. ("Why Did They Slide" by Walter Football.)

(for me, i also loved the way he looked when he finally made it to the field his rookie year and bortles clearly did too, tossing 65 passes his way in 10 games, more than any other jag).

By that token, Keke Coutee should be the talk of the draft.

Semi-interesting situation. I took Westbrook at 15.07, Cole went at 15.01, Moncrief went undrafted.

Only semi-interesting to me because their won't be enough volume to vault any of them into difference maker territory. Hoping for a solid bye week filler.

Don't forget Bortles averaged over 300 yds per game over the last 4 of 2017 (not incl. week 17 where the jags had nada to play for).  He can sling it to this guy with no problem.

Semi-interesting situation. I took Westbrook at 15.07, Cole went at 15.01, Moncrief went undrafted.

Only semi-interesting to me because their won't be enough volume to vault any of them into difference maker territory. Hoping for a solid bye week filler.
ARob was a difference maker. We do not yet know if Bortles will favor one & vault them to WR1 status...

I should probably follow this as I heard he is now penciled in as a starter across from Moncrief.  Which may not be worth the paper it is penciled on.  Could it be a starting two WR set of Dede and Cole?  I managed to trade for both of these guys for super cheap in a few leagues this offseason.

I had a chance to go back and watch all of Cole's catches from last year. He primarily works across the middle of the field running underneath crossers, slants, curls, ins and etc. - the team seems trust him in that role. He doesn't have very much YAC ability. He's kind of lanky, isn't very agile and is often brought down by the first defender. He does sometimes throw out a stiff arm and pick up extra yards but it's not an often occurrence. The most important aspect of his game, however, is his ability to beat man coverage on deeper routes. Splash plays are most definitely apart of his tool kit and makes it so DBs can't just sell out and play inside leverage against him. He's a long strider who can separate once he has gained momentum and he has adequate ball tracking skills. I didn't see many "wow" plays aside from a play in which a ball thrown way behind him on an dig in which he had to quickly swing his hips forward, adjust and pluck it out of the air with one hand. All in all I liked what I saw and it solidified my opinion of him being undervalued in drafts. Looking at some of the most recently completed MFL10 drafts and he's the 46th WR off the board. I think that's still quite low in ppr given how he's utilized and especially following Lee's injury.

Moncrief may be the threat, not Westbrook. Well-known and derided for "catching" the ball with his chest, he seems to be playing much better this preseason, and he has some legit YAC potential.

Moncrief may be the threat, not Westbrook. Well-known and derided for "catching" the ball with his chest, he seems to be playing much better this preseason, and he has some legit YAC potential.
I always liked Montcrief when he was in Indy. Seems odd that he is the forgotten piece in JAX. Unfortunately I don’t own any shares of him. 

I always liked Montcrief when he was in Indy. Seems odd that he is the forgotten piece in JAX. Unfortunately I don’t own any shares of him. 
Different teams (different coaches) have varying degrees of ability to integrate a new piece into their scheme.  See, for example, Jimmy Graham's criminal under-utilization in Seattle.

This is the truth.  Buzz is solidly behind Cole, but I expect Moncrief's targets to be roughly equivalent, and I assume he leads Jags WRs in touchdowns

I was always impressed with Montcrief, too. He torched a very good Jets secondary one Thursday night. He owned them that night.  

I can't explain why exactly, but when I watch tape of Cole, I'm reminded of young Roddy White. Hopefully he can develop into a target monster like Roddy was during his dominant stretch. 

I think projecting him for 75/1100/6 is realistic in 2018.

He is on every single one of my rosters this season. Also plan on starting him week 1 in DFS because he's still dirt cheap. 

Funny how it took an injury to Marquise Lee - who would have to be one of the least inspiring/impactful "WR1s" in the NFL and fantasy (he's pretty much been an inconsistent WR3 even when A-Rob was injured) - before people get excited about Cole.....not the 42-748-3 he put up as a UDFA rookie, without being a true focal point of the offense. 

Funny how it took an injury to Marquise Lee - who would have to be one of the least inspiring/impactful "WR1s" in the NFL and fantasy (he's pretty much been an inconsistent WR3 even when A-Rob was injured) - before people get excited about Cole.....not the 42-748-3 he put up as a UDFA rookie, without being a true focal point of the offense. 
I've been on him for over a month or so. Long before the Lee injury.

I just hardly ever post on these forums anymore. Mostly a lurker these days. 

I've been on him for over a month or so. Long before the Lee injury.

I just hardly ever post on these forums anymore. Mostly a lurker these days. 
Apologies if it seemed like my post was directed at you (it wasn't). Just a general observation.

Gonna be seeing every teams top CB. I'm pumping the breaks a bit even though he was killer for me at the close of last year. 
Had him at the end of last year so I think I was the only one targeting him. Unfortunately, I also have Lee. So while the injury helps him I think it may be incremental since as you said he could be facing stingier D. 

Gonna be seeing every teams top CB. I'm pumping the breaks a bit even though he was killer for me at the close of last year. 
Good point here however, as always, it all comes down to when you grab him. It's about value for your pick. I snatched him as my WR #4 in the 10th round. To me, even if he faces tougher D, there isn't a lot of downside when you potentially have a #2 caliber WR drafted in the 10th round. If people reach for him in earlier rounds, then yeah, your comment is right on but if people are grabbing him where he should be drafted, then I think it's still a great value pick.

Everyone wants to point to the last 3-4 weeks of the season in 2017 but even before that he was involved.  Not super involved but 2-3 catches pretty much every week.  I've had him on 2 of my rosters since week 9 of last year.  Pretty sure he was the 3rd most productive rookie last year (behind JuJu and Kupp I think?) and during that stretch of the last 4 weeks or whatever, I heard a stat that he was the 2nd most productive WR overall.  There is no getting off this train for me.  

On Draftkings they gave me this report of "for the upcoming season here was your best lineup last year" and Keelan Cole was in there for my best week and scored like 30+ points.  Just re-affirmed my position on him.  

Users who are viewing this thread