What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just Saw This On RotoWorld (1 Viewer)

DoubleG

Footballguy
Donald Brown's 2011 yards-per-carry average of 4.81 drops to 4.25 if you exclude one run -- Brown's 80-yard touchdown in Week 15 against the Titans.
:rolleyes: Yes, I realize that Brown is likely not going to average 4.81 YPC, but now even RW is using the "if you just take away the one big play..." logic. Yes, and Dorsett doesn't hold the record if we take away that 99.5 yarder...except we can't because he did, so he does. TIA. Have a great season.[/rant]

4.25 isn't so bad either, considering the horrendous QB play in Indy last year. That actually makes me feel better about Brown.

Rotoworld updates amuse me, you have to take them with a grain of salt since all they're doing is quoting speculative crap from beat writers. Yesterday they had a post declaring Hardesty as Trent Richardson's primary backup and then 4 posts later had one saying it was Brandon Jackson now. Silly, pointless speculation more often than not.

I hear what the OP is saying, but if you are trying to get an accurate projection for things moving forward, taking those types of plays into account is actually more advisable than not.

For example, Victor Cruz had TD of 74, 68, 72, 99, and 74 yards last year (in addition to 4 other plays of 40+ yards that did not go for scores). Those 9 plays accounted for 41% of his fantasy production last year. True, we don't know what would have happened had he not had those plays and maybe he would have earned some of that production back anyway (maybe he would have had a couple other catches for 40+ yards in those drives). However, in looking ahead to this year, I suspect that he will not have as many break away scores again.

To that end, even with similar targets, I can see Cruz losing 300/3 from his total last year based on the long play factor (which is both hard to replicate and tough to rely on).

While I agree you can't use the logic, "if you take away that one x yard run..." I think it's something to certainly be aware of. He most likely won't get an 80 yard run every year, and buying into him you should certainly be aware that his true ypc is closer to his career 4.2 average than last years 4.8.

The point is you should really know that if you expect him to get say 210 carries this year, expection 1000 yards out them, may be on the high side.

On the otherside, you also should be aware that he has at least shown the ability to break an 80 yard run and not get caught from behind.

Rotoworld updates amuse me, you have to take them with a grain of salt since all they're doing is quoting speculative crap from beat writers. Yesterday they had a post declaring Hardesty as Trent Richardson's primary backup and then 4 posts later had one saying it was Brandon Jackson now. Silly, pointless speculation more often than not.
This one is the best though, they just posted today...Arian Foster tweeted that he is trying a vegan diet.

Foster is one of the more thoughtful and introspective athletes around, so we wouldn't put it past him to stick with this diet. Still, there's no reason for owners to panic as the Texans will be certain to have their $43.5 million running back in optimal condition for Week 1. Foster is our choice for the No. 1 overall pick in fantasy drafts.

Source: Arian Foster on Twitter

Jul 9 - 8:39 AM

Why would someone going on a Vegan diet be a concern? Would you rather him say he eats at McDonald's 10 times a week?

This one is the best though, they just posted today...Arian Foster tweeted that he is trying a vegan diet.

Foster is one of the more thoughtful and introspective athletes around, so we wouldn't put it past him to stick with this diet. Still, there's no reason for owners to panic as the Texans will be certain to have their $43.5 million running back in optimal condition for Week 1. Foster is our choice for the No. 1 overall pick in fantasy drafts.

Why would someone going on a Vegan diet be a concern? Would you rather him say he eats at McDonald's 10 times a week?
I dont think it is a concern but it would be something to monitor. I dont know why he is trying this with the season around the corner. There is an article out there of tony gonzalez switching to vegan. He lost 10 lbs and some strength because he wasnt getting enough calories and protein. Hopefully arian doesnt make the same mistake.

Think Ricky Williams before and after his spiritual journey. But realistically, I think Foster will be fine. If he shows up to camp 20 lbs lighter then I'll begin to worry.

Think Ricky Williams before and after his spiritual journey. But realistically, I think Foster will be fine. If he shows up to camp 20 lbs lighter then I'll begin to worry.
I would think he would lose more weight during camp, because he would need to consume more calories than usual depending on how hard they are training in camp. If his vegan diet isnt done correctly during camp he could loose a lot of weight quickly. Im sure he will do it correctly but ya never know...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey all, I'm new to the forum, and I just gotta ask- what's wrong with eating McDonald's 10 times a week?

Hey all, I'm new to the forum, and I just gotta ask- what's wrong with eating McDonald's 10 times a week?
Nine burger and fry a day! /Ricky Gervais

Donald Brown's 2011 yards-per-carry average of 4.81 drops to 4.25 if you exclude one run -- Brown's 80-yard touchdown in Week 15 against the Titans.
:rolleyes: Yes, I realize that Brown is likely not going to average 4.81 YPC, but now even RW is using the "if you just take away the one big play..." logic. Yes, and Dorsett doesn't hold the record if we take away that 99.5 yarder...except we can't because he did, so he does. TIA. Have a great season.[/rant]
Well, when the bulk of his damage was a fluke run and a CarolinaGame, with most of the remainder sub 4.0, I can understand the caution.I think pointing out those hidden fluke plays is useful info.PSI'd disagree with yudkin in that yhe more big plays a player makes, the more comfortable I am with leaving them in, as I feel they're more predictive.Isn't it one is a fluke, 2 is a trend, or something like that?

I hear what the OP is saying, but if you are trying to get an accurate projection for things moving forward, taking those types of plays into account is actually more advisable than not.For example, Victor Cruz had TD of 74, 68, 72, 99, and 74 yards last year (in addition to 4 other plays of 40+ yards that did not go for scores). Those 9 plays accounted for 41% of his fantasy production last year. True, we don't know what would have happened had he not had those plays and maybe he would have earned some of that production back anyway (maybe he would have had a couple other catches for 40+ yards in those drives). However, in looking ahead to this year, I suspect that he will not have as many break away scores again.To that end, even with similar targets, I can see Cruz losing 300/3 from his total last year based on the long play factor (which is both hard to replicate and tough to rely on).
While I certainly think it's something to consider, it would seem that a large number of big plays could be an indicator that a player is just an explosive player and we should expect to see that continue. I mean, nobody at this point is saying that Randy Moss was a mediocre receiver that just got lucky and had a ton of big plays, right?I think another thing to consider is HOW a big play happened too. I could be wrong, but my memory is that Cruz piled up his big plays in a few different ways. Some were deep passes where he beat the secondary and some were quick passes he broke and took to the house. A guy breaking big plays in a variety of ways indicates a guy that is multidimensional, explosive, and earning his plays rather than a guy getting lucky.

'David Yudkin said:
I hear what the OP is saying, but if you are trying to get an accurate projection for things moving forward, taking those types of plays into account is actually more advisable than not.For example, Victor Cruz had TD of 74, 68, 72, 99, and 74 yards last year (in addition to 4 other plays of 40+ yards that did not go for scores). Those 9 plays accounted for 41% of his fantasy production last year. True, we don't know what would have happened had he not had those plays and maybe he would have earned some of that production back anyway (maybe he would have had a couple other catches for 40+ yards in those drives). However, in looking ahead to this year, I suspect that he will not have as many break away scores again.To that end, even with similar targets, I can see Cruz losing 300/3 from his total last year based on the long play factor (which is both hard to replicate and tough to rely on).
You can see him losing 300/3 cause of the long play factor? Doesn't the long play factor mean he's good at making long plays...so shouldn't he get around as many or more long plays? If the guy is getting one long play a year I can see how that shows that he's not that good at it...but 5 ridiculously long ones like Cruz's should mean he's the one creating these plays, right?People are saying the same things about Jordy Nelson and I don't get it. It's like they don't expect either WR to have one long play this year because they had too many last year. And then the reasoning is always some cop out like "regression to the mean." So in other words, just cause a a lot of mediocre WRs can't make long plays, WRs that can make long plays won't because they have to be average cause you know...peer pressure to fit in with the other WRs and stuff?

'lexdizzle said:
'Sweet Love said:
'Frankbot said:

I dont think it is a concern but it would be something to monitor. I dont know why he is trying this with the season around the corner. There is an article out there of tony gonzalez switching to vegan. He lost 10 lbs and some strength because he wasnt getting enough calories and protein. Hopefully arian doesnt make the same mistake.
This.Seems a bit late in the game to make a switch like that. Vegan is more strict than vegetarian. Can a highly trained athlete get enough protein eating vegan? Sure. But at the same time I imagine they need quite of protein and calories not only to maintain muscle mass, but also to rebuild the tissue they tear up every week during the season. Running a calorie and protein deficit during the season would seem like a horrible idea. And with a vegan diet mated to a high caloric demand there's some risk of doing that even if you don't intend to.

'lexdizzle said:
'Sweet Love said:
'Frankbot said:

This.Seems a bit late in the game to make a switch like that. Vegan is more strict than vegetarian. Can a highly trained athlete get enough protein eating vegan? Sure. But at the same time I imagine they need quite of protein and calories not only to maintain muscle mass, but also to rebuild the tissue they tear up every week during the season. Running a calorie and protein deficit during the season would seem like a horrible idea. And with a vegan diet mated to a high caloric demand there's some risk of doing that even if you don't intend to.
Last year he changed his diet and loaded up on a lot of carbs...then he got injured...then he said it was cause of his change in diet and loading up on carbs so he changed back..he didn't elaborate more on it. Ugh...I hope vegan doesn't do the same thing to him.

'David Yudkin said:
I think the OP's point, which is valid, is that when it comes to some players we don't make this kind of "correction," but for others, maybe guys who don't have the same appreciation from the pundits, we do. It is inconsistent.As for myself, I will repeat what I said in the Donald Brown thread. If he went untouched on that play and it was a "freebie," then I could see this. Or, if he were a guy who only had 50 touches or so. But he had 134 carries last year, so I think it is harder to throw one run out as an outlier. And if you look at the play, it was ALL Brown. He had to break a couple of tackles in the backfield and another as he ran further downfield. I think you have to take into account what actually happened in the play.

'lexdizzle said:
'Sweet Love said:
'Frankbot said:

Last year he changed his diet and loaded up on a lot of carbs...then he got injured...then he said it was cause of his change in diet and loading up on carbs so he changed back..he didn't elaborate more on it. Ugh...I hope vegan doesn't do the same thing to him.
Becoming vegan usually means MORE carbs, not less... I'm actually VERY concerned about this if it's true because a vegan diet lacks many of the important fat soluble vitamins a person needs for optimal health that's only present in animal products, (not to mention superior athletic performance). I might need to send him a tweet and direct him to some smarter sources of dietary advices.

VEGAN Question:

Bill Walton played for the BLAZERS '77 Championship Team. He had a lot of health issues that many speculated was due to lack of protein in his diet. Though when he got healthy they knocked DR J and 76ers out for the title.

When you think Vegan...I don't think your mind associates the KILLER INSTINCT you hope your RB has. IT doesn't take away from the talent of Foster. It could however impact him physically. Race cars need fuel. It's one thing for average person to go Vegan but high performance machine like elite NFL RB is even more work and effort.

TAKING OUT LONG RUNS/BIG PLAYS.

It's been addressed. But people are bringing up the point.

1 big play can skew that statistics in his favor.

It's important to do some due diligence and just not take #s for #s sake.

Maybe 161yds in week 15 was easy vs TEN. but the 47 he gained on 9 carries was way more impressive they way he had to work for it etc.

I don't know...maybe it's not Brown at all. It's the FULL BACK and blocking. There's a lot that goes into these scenarios/situations.

Ultimately, we need to get FF points scored and we're looking for increased odds and likelihood that will happen or continue to happen.

This is what underwriters do...this is what appraisers do...if youv'e ever disagreed with the value of your home appraisal.... you understand there's plenty that is subject to interpretation. Sometimes, it's just bad news....utlimately...it's all just info. Even if you're wrong...maybe you get lucky.

Some of you may not remember the sheer torment of owning Barry Sanders and watching his stats during a game. He would have something like 19 carries for 20 yards and then break one for 85 yards. You would end up with 20 for 105 and a TD and you would go away mentally drained and swear that you would get a more reliable RB next year. But then you would buy him again the next year. Some guys are just big play players. The trick is to decide who are the ones with non-repeatable flukes and who are the ones in the Sanders category.

Some of you may not remember the sheer torment of owning Barry Sanders and watching his stats during a game. He would have something like 19 carries for 20 yards and then break one for 85 yards. You would end up with 20 for 105 and a TD and you would go away mentally drained and swear that you would get a more reliable RB next year. But then you would buy him again the next year. Some guys are just big play players. The trick is to decide who are the ones with non-repeatable flukes and who are the ones in the Sanders category.
I bought donald brown low in this years salary cap league like i did reggie bush last year. Being productive is all tht matters when it comes to #4/5 RBs, im not trading brown away like i did bush. The ##### on rotoworld wouldnt have gaoned 4 yds on that "fluke" play so ill leave his 2011 ypc just as it is w Elias sports bureau.

'lexdizzle said:
'Sweet Love said:
'Frankbot said:

Becoming vegan usually means MORE carbs, not less... I'm actually VERY concerned about this if it's true because a vegan diet lacks many of the important fat soluble vitamins a person needs for optimal health that's only present in animal products, (not to mention superior athletic performance). I might need to send him a tweet and direct him to some smarter sources of dietary advices.
Oh ####...I just realized it was the opposite. He was cutting out the carbs and blamed it on that for his injury. He was trying to get leaner before his injury and cut out carbs for that purpose.

VEGAN Question:Bill Walton played for the BLAZERS '77 Championship Team. He had a lot of health issues that many speculated was due to lack of protein in his diet. Though when he got healthy they knocked DR J and 76ers out for the title. When you think Vegan...I don't think your mind associates the KILLER INSTINCT you hope your RB has. IT doesn't take away from the talent of Foster. It could however impact him physically. Race cars need fuel. It's one thing for average person to go Vegan but high performance machine like elite NFL RB is even more work and effort.
I doubt this lasts, but good news for Tate owner

First off, I'm a fan of Rotoworld. But for the bigger issue, I think it's a great question about whether to exclude plays like this. My answer on this is "sometimes". I think it really boils down to things like sample size. Obviously, the smaller the number of chances, the more scrutiny one big play will get.

This is sort of near another area that I see as an issue: Too many people put too much importance on one big play. Both good and bad. Take the New England - Baltimore playoff game last year. If Lee Evans holds onto a great pass from Flacco or Billy Cundiff doesn't gag the field goal, most people have a dramatically different opinion of Joe Flacco. And those are two events Flacco had no control over. In this case, they'll ignore the bigger body of work and let a couple of plays determine their overall opinion. Which I think is wrong.

Good question and good topic.

J

I agree with David Y.

I think you have to look at each of these things under their own events and consider how much data you have to work with, but overall, I think its valid to ask the question.

One of the best examples I can recall is Steve slaton. He came out and was a hot topic that one year and people were extrapolating numbers and putting him way up int he rankings for the next year (reminds me of DeMarco Murray in some ways now), but when you looked at what he was doing, he had a lot of facts that were counter to what people were suggesting. You had people saying he would do THIS because he is so dynamic and breaks a lot of long runs but the numbers were actually something like all but 2 of his TDs were 10 yards or less. Just lots of things that weren't easy to see on the surface but once you took some of the outliers away, it was pretty clear.

I think thats why they call it a detailed analysis. Anyone can look at a team and say "they threw for 5000 yards ..they are awesome" but what does that really mean? If 500 yards is 18th in the league, its suddenly not as "wow" when you put it into perspective.

the reason I'd be willing to overlook the one big play is that of 7 games last year where donald had double digit carries, 4 of those 7 were sub 4.0 ypc.

of the 3 games where he broke the 4.0 barrier, one was carolina, who everybody got fat on last year, giving up 4.6 ypc on the season.

just the week before the indy game they gave kevin smith 20/200/3 on total touches.

another was the big run game against a TEN team that wasn't much better, giving up 4.5 ypc on the year.

because of small sample size, those couple games blow his ypc season average up to a decent level, but that only means something if he plays those defenses all year in 2012.

he'll no doubt find a couple softies along the way this year, but the schedule doesn't look promising, and if he ends up with 10-12 sub 4.0 games his production won't be great, even if they actually stick with him all year.

by way of comparison, 'only' 7 of shonn greene's 16 games were sub 4.0 last year, with 3 more right at 4.0, although shonn did manage 250/1000/6 on the season, with 30 catches, which would be a great rb3 if you can get that in the 6th, I suppose.

thomas jones had a 9 double digit carry games last year -- 7 of which were sub 4.0 ypc.

daniel thomas also produced 9 double digit carry games, 6 of those being sub 4.0

ced benson saw 10 of 15 games come in under 4.0, while putting up shonn greene numbers on the year.

I agree with David Y.I think you have to look at each of these things under their own events and consider how much data you have to work with, but overall, I think its valid to ask the question.One of the best examples I can recall is Steve slaton. He came out and was a hot topic that one year and people were extrapolating numbers and putting him way up int he rankings for the next year (reminds me of DeMarco Murray in some ways now), but when you looked at what he was doing, he had a lot of facts that were counter to what people were suggesting. You had people saying he would do THIS because he is so dynamic and breaks a lot of long runs but the numbers were actually something like all but 2 of his TDs were 10 yards or less. Just lots of things that weren't easy to see on the surface but once you took some of the outliers away, it was pretty clear. I think thats why they call it a detailed analysis. Anyone can look at a team and say "they threw for 5000 yards ..they are awesome" but what does that really mean? If 500 yards is 18th in the league, its suddenly not as "wow" when you put it into perspective.
On thing about fantasy football is trying to figure out how TDs and long plays factor into the mix. It works the OPPOSITE way as well. For example, people were leary of Curtis Martin because he had a horrible year getting into the end zone in 2003. No one wanted to draft him the next year because he couldn't score, was over 30, etc. I snagged him in several leagues for a deep discount and he scored 14 times. As much as some people will want to argue and debate it, IMO predicting who scores TD, how many, and how consistently is extremely difficult (and many times comprised of a lot of luck and being in the right place at the right time).This year, as I see it, Antonio Brown is criminally under rated, as most projections have him with very few TDs again this year. Brown now has 85 career receptions and only 2 TDs. Of the 225 receivers since 2000 with at least 75 receptions, that is the second worst ratio after Jacquez Green (92 receptions ans 2 scores). I think it will take an act of Congress to keep Brown out of the end zone at the same rate, so I look at Brown as someone to go out of my way to get. Bottom line, I think far too many people over react when guys score a ton of barely score at all.

I don't think understanding the distribution of a player's carries is a bad thing. Like any other stat, you just need to make sure you understand how it relates to the bigger picture and then apply it correctly if you use it.

How meaningful is it in the context of Brown's situation? He had 78, 129, and 134 carries his first three years, and his previous longest runs were 45 and 49 yards. If I'm projecting him for a similar number of carries this year, having an idea of how (un)likely another 80 yard run will be from him isn't a bad thing. If I understand that it's going to affect where I'll project him in yards per carry.

If it's Chris Johnson who is breaking multiple long runs with some consistency, then understanding that is the situation may call for handling it a little differently.

Britt is getting hype because of a very small sample size as well. And his long play was a last gasp shovel pass that was nearly picked.

'GroveDiesel said:
'David Yudkin said:
While I certainly think it's something to consider, it would seem that a large number of big plays could be an indicator that a player is just an explosive player and we should expect to see that continue. I mean, nobody at this point is saying that Randy Moss was a mediocre receiver that just got lucky and had a ton of big plays, right?I think another thing to consider is HOW a big play happened too. I could be wrong, but my memory is that Cruz piled up his big plays in a few different ways. Some were deep passes where he beat the secondary and some were quick passes he broke and took to the house. A guy breaking big plays in a variety of ways indicates a guy that is multidimensional, explosive, and earning his plays rather than a guy getting lucky.
:goodposting: Cruz didn't just 'luck' into the big plays last season - he really developed into a top deep threat but was also heavily relied on by Eli Manning (159 targets last season). While some are saying to expect a regression, what I see is a soon-to-be-third year wide receiver who broke out in his second season, a guy who had a ton of targets - and he has room to improve in the reception percentage department. He'll be an absolute fantasy monster if he approaches 60% reception percentage this year, which I think is an attainable goal for this player. His yards-per-reception are likely to come down (not that it matters for fantasy purposes unless you play in a Yardage-bonus TD league), but I don't think we should assume a net loss of 300 yards receiving during 2012 for Cruz. TDs are more difficult to predict from year to year, but I think a high single-digit TD total from Cruz is a reasonable expectation, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in double digits in the TD department this year, either. I've got Cruz down for 85-95 receptions, 1400-1500 yards and 9-10 TDs this year. 85/1400/9 = 16.4 yards per reception. 95/1500/10 = 15.7 ypr

The OP severely took Rotoworld's blurb out of context. The actual post was:

"Donald Brown's 2011 yards-per-carry average of 4.81 drops to 4.25 if you exclude one run -- Brown's 80-yard touchdown in Week 15 against the Titans.

The run was the best of Brown's career and no one can take it away from him, but it single-handedly skews a stat we like to think of as predictive for NFL running backs. Even when you include the run, Brown's career yards-per-carry average is 4.17. And that's a lot more indicative of the kind of player he's been. Rotoworld's Evan Silva broke down 2011 game footage of Brown, Isaac Redman, and Evan Royster at the Draft Guide link below. Jul 8 - 2:48 PM"

Leaving out the bolded parts above is wrong, as it points out that Rotoworld recognizes the issue with taking away a single play, but their general point is still valid. Yudkin brings up Victor Cruz. The difference is that Victor Cruz had 9 plays of 40+ yards and Brown had 1. Maybe Cruz got lucky on 1 or 2 or 3 or even 4 of those plays, but to do it 9 times takes a lot of skill. No he, probably won't replicate that this year, but it took a lot of skill to do it in 2011. The difference is that with Brown there was just 1 run. And taking away that 1 run puts Brown's ypc at his career average, which is middling. Keeping that 1 play in alters his ypc well above his career ypc by almost 3/4 of a yard. So it certainly stands to reason that Brown's one 80 yard run was a complete fluke and will never happen again and therefore, Brown is much closer to a 4.2 ypc guy than 4.8 ypc guy.

:goodposting:

I love all the "such and such player is turning heads" or the "such and such player looks the part". WTF?! I swear if you buy all that stuff then the Dallas Cowboys and Green Bay Packers have a glut of all pro rookie WR's and RB's before they have even played a live snap.

Just silliness.

I love RW too, but this time of year is agonizing. But it is fun to watch all the guppies run out and pick up every player RW heaps praise on during the off season.

I remember back in the 90's when I was using my magazines to prepare for drafts, i would always use this logic to avoid drafting Corey Dillon (CIN) in the 2nd RD.

Someone else would always jump at his 1211/7TD year and realize that most of his games went

11/45

17/81

10/22

22/185 2TDs

16/52

21/76

20/212 TD

I love all the "such and such player is turning heads" or the "such and such player looks the part". WTF?! I swear if you buy all that stuff then the Dallas Cowboys and Green Bay Packers have a glut of all pro rookie WR's and RB's before they have even played a live snap.

Just silliness.

I love RW too, but this time of year is agonizing. But it is fun to watch all the guppies run out and pick up every player RW heaps praise on during the off season.
I would actually believe that the way they've been drafting them...

'GridironMenace said:
The OP severely took Rotoworld's blurb out of context. The actual post was:

"Donald Brown's 2011 yards-per-carry average of 4.81 drops to 4.25 if you exclude one run -- Brown's 80-yard touchdown in Week 15 against the Titans.

The run was the best of Brown's career and no one can take it away from him, but it single-handedly skews a stat we like to think of as predictive for NFL running backs. Even when you include the run, Brown's career yards-per-carry average is 4.17. And that's a lot more indicative of the kind of player he's been. Rotoworld's Evan Silva broke down 2011 game footage of Brown, Isaac Redman, and Evan Royster at the Draft Guide link below. Jul 8 - 2:48 PM"

Leaving out the bolded parts above is wrong, as it points out that Rotoworld recognizes the issue with taking away a single play, but their general point is still valid. Yudkin brings up Victor Cruz. The difference is that Victor Cruz had 9 plays of 40+ yards and Brown had 1. Maybe Cruz got lucky on 1 or 2 or 3 or even 4 of those plays, but to do it 9 times takes a lot of skill. No he, probably won't replicate that this year, but it took a lot of skill to do it in 2011. The difference is that with Brown there was just 1 run. And taking away that 1 run puts Brown's ypc at his career average, which is middling. Keeping that 1 play in alters his ypc well above his career ypc by almost 3/4 of a yard. So it certainly stands to reason that Brown's one 80 yard run was a complete fluke and will never happen again and therefore, Brown is much closer to a 4.2 ypc guy than 4.8 ypc guy.
So, if you throw out a long play as an outlier, how many of the plays where he lost yards do you throw out? Don't forget, he was hit in the backfield on the play that he went for 80s yards and that could easily have been a loss. In statistics, you don't just throw out one data point--you throw out a number from both sides. And you do it for every data line--not just one, or one player in this case. It isn't right to take away Brown's best run and then not do the same for every other RB if you want to compare their ypc. The other thing Rotoworld didn't consider: offensive scheme. In 2011, once Manning went down, they finally started running more I formation. So, including Brown's previous ypc and saying "that is more indicative of his ability," is misleading. I have argued before that the shotgun draw plays that IND ran almost exclusively with Manning was not beneficial to Brown's running style. A big reason he did better in 2011 was Manning going down and a more run friendly offense being used. To be fair, we don't know how Brown will run in yet another new offense in 2012, but I am pretty sure it will be better than the shotgun draw of the past. I don't expect him to gain 4.8 ypc this year, especially if his carries goes up, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see 4.5 ypc. Another variable? The offensive line. In Brown's early years the IND line was built to pass block, not run block. And they didn't open many good holes. The OL was revamped this year with bigger OL. I think that could bode well for Brown as well.

Bottom line: if you want to throw data out you need to do it more consistently (all players) and systematically. This web site offers a basic approach: http://www.ehow.com/how_5201412_calculate-outliers.html

Bottom line: if you want to throw data out you need to do it more consistently (all players) and systematically.
"median gain" is what we need, cross out a top for every bottom.If the back carried it 201 times, number 101 is the median number.

I agree, it is pointless.

to take a guys stats over a season and then say, if he didnt get that 80 yard run.....

well guess what? any Starting RB with more than 150 carries probably has one or two big ones. That's part of the package. We also include the crappy runs where he loses two or three yards too. In the end these things balance out.

his stats are his stats. They are just trying to get a story by manipulating the stats.

if you really want to look at what a RB brings to the table, you watch him play and take note of certain things:

1) were his good runs due to the line opening up a hole big enough to drive a truck through? or did the RB read the block, hit the hole hard and make a couple of people miss?

2) were his poor runs because he misread the play, or were they poor runs because people were missing blocks and allowing someone to get into the backfield?

these are the things you need to look at. While stats can be useful, and we all use them to a degree, I'm saying you need to look at other things too.

So, if you throw out a long play as an outlier, how many of the plays where he lost yards do you throw out? Don't forget, he was hit in the backfield on the play that he went for 80s yards and that could easily have been a loss. In statistics, you don't just throw out one data point--you throw out a number from both sides. And you do it for every data line--not just one, or one player in this case. It isn't right to take away Brown's best run and then not do the same for every other RB if you want to compare their ypc.

The other thing Rotoworld didn't consider: offensive scheme. In 2011, once Manning went down, they finally started running more I formation. So, including Brown's previous ypc and saying "that is more indicative of his ability," is misleading. I have argued before that the shotgun draw plays that IND ran almost exclusively with Manning was not beneficial to Brown's running style. A big reason he did better in 2011 was Manning going down and a more run friendly offense being used. To be fair, we don't know how Brown will run in yet another new offense in 2012, but I am pretty sure it will be better than the shotgun draw of the past. I don't expect him to gain 4.8 ypc this year, especially if his carries goes up, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see 4.5 ypc. Another variable? The offensive line. In Brown's early years the IND line was built to pass block, not run block. And they didn't open many good holes. The OL was revamped this year with bigger OL. I think that could bode well for Brown as well.

Bottom line: if you want to throw data out you need to do it more consistently (all players) and systematically. This web site offers a basic approach: http://www.ehow.com/how_5201412_calculate-outliers.html
What makes you think his rushes for negative plays are outliers? He had 12 of them last year, (all between -1 and -5 yards) accounting for almost 10% of his rushes.

Bottom line: if you want to throw data out you need to do it more consistently (all players) and systematically.
"median gain" is what we need, cross out a top for every bottom.If the back carried it 201 times, number 101 is the median number.
The problem with this is that the would be very little difference between players....take for exampleDonald Brown had a median rush of 3.Arian Foster had a median rush of 3.Cedric Benson had a median rush of 3.

The problem with this is that the would be very little difference between players....take for exampleDonald Brown had a median rush of 3.Arian Foster had a median rush of 3.Cedric Benson had a median rush of 3.
What if you figure in attempts?

Not sure what you mean.

Not sure what you mean.
There is no median for attempts. You multiply attempts x median rush.

Not sure what you mean.
There is no median for attempts. You multiply attempts x median rush.
Is that really going to tell you much other than who had the most attempts. Those 3 happened to be the first 3 I checked for median, but I'd imagine most players (with a reasonable amount of carries) will have a median of 3. So your most likely going to end up a list ranked in order of rushing attempts.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis rushed 18 times for 69 yards in the Bengals' Week 7 loss to the Steelers.

Another plodding effort. The Bengals actually opened the game with a surprising run-first approach, and Law Firm picked up 44 yards on his initial eight carries. Easy to defend, he managed 25 yards on his next 10. With Shonn Greene showing signs of life of late, perhaps Green-Ellis has unseated him as the worst starting running back in the league. The Bengals go on a bye in Week 8. 10-team leaguers can consider dropping Green-Ellis. He's just an RB3 in 12- and 14-teamers.
Really?

BenJarvus Green-Ellis rushed 18 times for 69 yards in the Bengals' Week 7 loss to the Steelers.

Another plodding effort. The Bengals actually opened the game with a surprising run-first approach, and Law Firm picked up 44 yards on his initial eight carries. Easy to defend, he managed 25 yards on his next 10. With Shonn Greene showing signs of life of late, perhaps Green-Ellis has unseated him as the worst starting running back in the league. The Bengals go on a bye in Week 8. 10-team leaguers can consider dropping Green-Ellis. He's just an RB3 in 12- and 14-teamers.
Really?
Yeah and Shonn Greene was droppable two weeks ago too but now he is showing signs of life. I try not to take to base my rankings on rotoworlds synopsis as they tend to become biased against certain players. Green-Ellis is a fulltime starter and was the best thing about the Bengals offense tonight even if that isn't saying much. Remember according to them LaRod Stephens-Howling isn't everydown back material and Vick Ballard can't get it done. Even when those guys had good weeks according to rotoworld it wasn't because of them. They just got lucky.Back to Green-Ellis though, he is easily a RB2 in 12 to 14 league teams.

Is that really going to tell you much other than who had the most attempts. Those 3 happened to be the first 3 I checked for median, but I'd imagine most players (with a reasonable amount of carries) will have a median of 3. So your most likely going to end up a list ranked in order of rushing attempts.
You probably actually want to look at variance. Assuming high variance is bad, value players based on total yards minus some penalty for high variance. You could calculate variance by carry (home run hitters probably have high variance, plodders low variance) and by game (a high game variance player is unreliable against stronger defenses ... a boom or bust type player). You could also look at the variance in the number of carries per game. You might want to stay away from players that only see the ball a lot in games when the running game is working well (gameplan type RBs). Ideally you'd want the guy with the most consistent production, which means consistent touches game to game, consistent ypc and touchdowns spread out throughout the season. But these guys all get drafted really early (Foster, Rice, Peterson, MJD).I do think its instructive to look at big games for mid tier / bench guys, because one huge game can make a huge difference to a guy on the edge of not being relevant. This seems to be more true at WR than RB, since there's so many touches to go around and there are so many WRs in the "barely rosterable" range. Last year 17 WRs had over 1000 yards and 67 had over 500. So that's about 50 WRs in the "should be rostered but don't feel great starting them" range (obviously this is very crude and doesn't take into account injuries, changes in who's starting, etc). If one of those guys got 50% of his fantasy points in 2 games I'd feel less good about them for next season.Targets and snap percentages should also be looked at. Once again, you want guys that get consistent looks. Andre Johnson and Steve Smith are having bad seasons but get consistent opportunities, and that bodes well for them going forward. Compare this to someone like Hartline. A single game this year accounts for nearly half his yards and his only touchdown, and his targets are highly variable (8, 12, 9, 18, 5, 0!!).

Users who are viewing this thread