What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jonathan Stewart or DeAngelo Williams going forward? (1 Viewer)

Sunday Devil

Footballguy
I want to get people thoughts on this issue.

DW seems to be the one to ride from here on out since he will get a healthy dose of carries going forward. Nonetheless, I don't think that Stewart will stop producing the way he has, but I do think 10-15 points in a PPR league is his ceiling. As for DW, I've noticed his YPC is increasing week by week and its easy to see that he is experiencing an upward trend in production per play and in the overall game, not to mention he is looking fast and elusive as ever.

So is DW fools gold? or is it for real? or Is J Stew the man to own still?

:popcorn:

Who knows. This is a team that should be running the ball but they think they are a passing team. Up 27-7 vs Detroit and they are throwing like they are down 50.

How juicy is the matchup with TB - they made Chris Johnson look like a hero.

Struggling if I should plug DeAngelo back in my lineup this week - other than 2 games he's been a big diasappointment.

I think JStew is the one to own... He gets the pass targets, & Carolina is still itching to throw constantly. DWill's 15 carries in week 12 is his ceiling for this year, IMO. He won't have that many again the rest of the way. OC Chud is trying to get a HC job....wants Cam to post huge #'s to help get to the promised land!!! Hahahaha

Kill one of them and then you have a top 10 back? :shrug:
best idea thus far....
Only if the one you kill is Cam. Cam has more rushing yards on less attempts than J Stew does....and he's got twice as many rushing TDs as J Stew and D Will COMBINED!!If you were to divide Cam's rushing yards and TDs evenly among the two, D Will would have 773 yards and 8 TDs (along with 93 receiving) and J Stew would have 675 rushing yards and 7 TDs (along with 341 receiving, giving him over 1,000 yards from scrimmage). In my league, that would put both RBs squarely in the RB #8-13 range so far this season.

Seems JSTEW is the one that has the lower floor and has been steadier throughout this weird season. Like Favreco said, they were up big on the Lions and still couldn't find a ground game so who knows.

I think it is a TOTAL crapshoot and I know a lot of people posting have them both on their rosters so my advice is: If you don't have to, steart neither. If you are scrapping for your life and have little options, start both!

'Macdaddy_2004 said:
How juicy is the matchup with TB - they made Chris Johnson look like a hero.Struggling if I should plug DeAngelo back in my lineup this week - other than 2 games he's been a big diasappointment.
That is exactly why posted this thread, I have both JS and DW. Hard to pick one of them with my RBs being Lynch, Spiller, J Stew, DW, and Tolbert.... Im thinking Spiller and Lynch (PPR League) :confused:

I have both. I think both are severely limited due to Cam always running and vulturing TD's. Fantasy wise Cam is great to own but in reality he's not a very good QB. Until Carolina realizes that they need to have a more balanced attack it's a toss up between the two. DW just got a big contract too, which makes the under utilization of DW even more confusing.

Frankly I am rolling with either CJ spiller or Hillis over both in a ppr league because of the mess that is Carolina

For this year Cam is a vulture but think DWill will shine vs TB. Heck Carolina plays TB twice yet.

I cant find it anywhere, but thought I read DWill was a FA this year. Is that true? If so is it worth trying to get both in a dynasty league to turn a RBBC into 2 starting RBs.

For this year Cam is a vulture but think DWill will shine vs TB. Heck Carolina plays TB twice yet.I cant find it anywhere, but thought I read DWill was a FA this year. Is that true? If so is it worth trying to get both in a dynasty league to turn a RBBC into 2 starting RBs.
Someone needs to knock the dog crap out of Newton down around the goal line and maybe he will start handing if off to his backs down there.

For this year Cam is a vulture but think DWill will shine vs TB. Heck Carolina plays TB twice yet.

I cant find it anywhere, but thought I read DWill was a FA this year. Is that true? If so is it worth trying to get both in a dynasty league to turn a RBBC into 2 starting RBs.
No, he signed a huge contract before this season.

This. And that is why I don't understand why they don't run te crap out of him.

Thanks for clarifying for me. Thought I might be sly about trading for both but now I may just stay away from both.

If you're down to these two options, you're probably screwed this year already.
Actually not true. Sometimes I start both of them in a PPR league and I'm 8-4 and a playoff team. I've also been starting Phillip "I suck" Rivers at QB most of the year.
Same boat..I'm destroyed at RB and have these guys going for me and I actually have the 5th best record in the league going into this week. JSTEW, especially, at least in PPR, has been non-spectacular but very steady and startable. On most weeks, he has been a better safe play than some other flex options (Manningham, Holmes, tolbert, Wayne, etc).

How can Stewart only be 24 yet be in his 4th year? With the fairly low mileage he has on him, he should have at least another 6 good years left, no?

How can Stewart only be 24 yet be in his 4th year? With the fairly low mileage he has on him, he should have at least another 6 good years left, no?
Something in the 4-6 year time frame, sure. As long as those years continue to be with Cam/D Will/both they will be limited years, though. D Will is 28 and signed a 5 year deal this past off-season. I don't see any way of him being there till the end of it, as all $21M that was guaranteed is paid out in the first two years. With the way he's being used, I can't see him being retained for the 3rd year (2013 season).J Stew is 24 and will be a free agent in 2013, and I can't see the Panthers paying him what he'll be worth at that time - unless they cut ties with D Will. That will be around the time (or about a year away) from when Carolina will likely have to pay BIG BUCKS to keep Cam around. Having D Will's huge contract, Cam's likely huge contract, and J Stew's deal all on the books at the same time would be too much for that team to handle. They will likely both be Panthers to start the 2012 season...2013 I doubt it.

I have both. I think both are severely limited due to Cam always running and vulturing TD's. Fantasy wise Cam is great to own but in reality he's not a very good QB. Until Carolina realizes that they need to have a more balanced attack it's a toss up between the two. DW just got a big contract too, which makes the under utilization of DW even more confusing.
I think Carolina does know that they need a balanced attack, but that isn't their goal this year. At the beginning of the season the staff said that their focus this year is on developing Cam Newton. As the season progresses they were going to challenge him, and continue to add more of the playback into the games. I think next year you will see a more balanced attack.

'Macdaddy_2004 said:
How juicy is the matchup with TB - they made Chris Johnson look like a hero.Struggling if I should plug DeAngelo back in my lineup this week - other than 2 games he's been a big diasappointment.
Same. I got him as a throw in with a trade earlier in the year and I've used him twice. Last week was one of the guaranteed locks against Indy. I'm wondering if he's back or if that was just because Indy is sooooo bad.

'Insein said:
Same. I got him as a throw in with a trade earlier in the year and I've used him twice. Last week was one of the guaranteed locks against Indy. I'm wondering if he's back or if that was just because Indy is sooooo bad.
:shrug: Based on production allowed to RBs, if starting DWill @ Indy was a "lock", then starting him @ Tampa should be the same...

They both have top ten talent. Together my preference is The daily show in ppr, Dwill non-ppr. Strictly matchup plays

'Insein said:
:shrug: Based on production allowed to RBs, if starting DWill @ Indy was a "lock", then starting him @ Tampa should be the same...
I agree, but I still don't have the balls to do that. Its win or go home for me this week.

I wouldn't say starting him against Indy was a lock - it was a good gamble that paid off.Fact of the matter is I don't see D-Will's upside that much better than say of a guy like Ingram.Newton and Stewart are both threats to vulture short TD's.The Carolina defence isn't strong either - at any time CAR could be playing from behind and J-Stew has been the RB getting most of the receptions.

This. And that is why I don't understand why they don't run te crap out of him.
No, he is the one they need to protect due to the investment...they should be running Stewart until the wheels come off and they can let him go without hesitation, ala Miami and Ronnie Brown.

I own Stewart but not DWill. On the one hand, the way the Panthers manage their RBs is inscrutable (though, to be fair, more scrutable than last year, when they had Clausen at QB and regularly failed to get either back double-digit carries). How do you have two of the more talented RBs in the league and not just run them both into the ground? Hell, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out, considering that's exactly what you did three years ago. You remember three years ago, right? The last time you were good?

On the other hand, putting aside the wasted potential, I really can't complain too much about Stewart this year. Having owned both backs at various points last year, I knew what to expect going in. And by that standard, I would say he's produced at or slightly above where I drafted him (9th). The few times I've had to spot-start him due to byes or injuries, he's produced quality numbers. And the receptions have just been a bonus, especially in my 0.5 PPR league.

Of course, DW was drafted in the 4th, so I suspect his owner wouldn't be so forgiving.

'zftcg said:
I own Stewart but not DWill. On the one hand, the way the Panthers manage their RBs is inscrutable (though, to be fair, more scrutable than last year, when they had Clausen at QB and regularly failed to get either back double-digit carries). How do you have two of the more talented RBs in the league and not just run them both into the ground? Hell, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out, considering that's exactly what you did three years ago. You remember three years ago, right? The last time you were good?
For one Jeff Otah is on IR this year and he is one of their best run blockers, and as I said a few post above, the Panthers staff said this year their focus is on developing Cam Newton. They aren't concerned about wins this year. This also isn't the same staff from three years ago.

In FF, there are about 3-4 RBs that are dependable. Everyone else has their issues.

I was kicking this idea around with a few buddies a month or so ago where we were looking at the "2nd wave" of RBs that all went within a round of one another (and all thought they had the next big thing):

Bradshaw

JSTEW

Moreno

Ryan Mathews

SJAX

Peyton Hillis

Best

Felix Jones

Blount

Guess how many of those guys are happy right now?

Then look at the guys that went 2 rounds later:

Turner

Green

Beanie

Lynch

Benson

Bush

McGahee

this stuff makes no sense..Why try?

In FF, there are about 3-4 RBs that are dependable. Everyone else has their issues. I was kicking this idea around with a few buddies a month or so ago where we were looking at the "2nd wave" of RBs that all went within a round of one another (and all thought they had the next big thing):BradshawJSTEWMorenoRyan MathewsSJAXPeyton HillisBestFelix JonesBlountGuess how many of those guys are happy right now?Then look at the guys that went 2 rounds later:TurnerGreenBeanieLynchBensonBushMcGaheethis stuff makes no sense..Why try?
Turner went two rounds after Morneo (or any of the other guys on that list)?

In FF, there are about 3-4 RBs that are dependable. Everyone else has their issues. I was kicking this idea around with a few buddies a month or so ago where we were looking at the "2nd wave" of RBs that all went within a round of one another (and all thought they had the next big thing):BradshawJSTEWMorenoRyan MathewsSJAXPeyton HillisBestFelix JonesBlountGuess how many of those guys are happy right now?Then look at the guys that went 2 rounds later:TurnerGreenBeanieLynchBensonBushMcGaheethis stuff makes no sense..Why try?
Just pick the best 1 from each tier and you'll be fine ;)

Turner went two rounds after Morneo (or any of the other guys on that list)?
Startup dynasty. yeah, for Turner to fall that far was criminal and everyone knew it but you know how it is in startup dynasties: some guys want to build very young.

Users who are viewing this thread