What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Brown Hype Train- Not as bad of reach as I thought (2 Viewers)

John Brown caught 7-of-10 targets for 99 yards in Week 15 against the Steelers.

It’s a needed breakout for Brown, who hadn’t went over 40 yards since Week 11. He led Buffalo in both receiving and targets. Brown burned Steven Nelson for a pair of 20-plus yard catches, with his highlight a 40-yarder that set up a go-ahead touchdown with under eight minutes remaining. This was one of Brown’s better games but he’s a fade for a matchup with the Patriots in Week 16.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Brown caught 4-of-8 targets for 50 yards in the Bills' Wild Card loss to the Texans.

Brown's eight looks were second on the team to Duke Williams' 10, though a number of those Williams targets were throw-aways out of the end zone. Signed to a three-year deal last offseason, Brown was as consistent as they come in his first year in Buffalo, posting at least 50 yards in every game Weeks 1-11. Brown faded a bit down the stretch, but he set career bests in catches (72) and yards (1,060) while falling one short in touchdowns (6) on 115 targets in the regular season. Brown proved he still has big-time playmaking skills when healthy. He's played every game the last two seasons. Brown will be an upside WR3 in fantasy drafts next summer.

John Brown caught 6-of-10 targets for 70 yards and a touchdown in the Bills' Week 1 win over the Jets. 

Brown should have had a second touchdown in the fourth quarter, but Josh Allen had a stupefying miss to a wide-open Brown in the end zone. Brown out-targeted Stefon Diggs in his Bills debut, though Diggs logged both more yards and catches. Brown is ultimately going to be a tough sell WR3 in a run-first offense with a target hog like Diggs, though he is worth keeping around in 12-team leagues for the upcoming bye week crunches. Deep-threat Brown is capable of changing fantasy matchups with only one catch. 

- Rotoworld

John Brown (foot) isn't practicing Wednesday.

Brown played 93 percent of snaps in Buffalo's Week 1 win over the Jets. Any foot injury is a concern for a deep threat like Brown. This could potentially open up targets for Gabriel Davis, who would step into a top-three role if Brown doesn't play this week.

RELATED: 

Gabriel Davis

SOURCE: WGR 550 Buffalo

Sep 16, 2020, 12:31 PM ET

John Brown (foot) returned to Bills practice Thursday, getting in a full session. 

It would appear Wednesday was a maintenance day. Brown is ready to go as a mid-range WR3 against the Dolphins after his 6/70/1 Week 1 vs. the Jets. 

Sep 17, 2020, 5:50 PM ET

Bills coach Sean McDermott said he's confident John Brown (foot) is "trending in the right direction."

Brown was limited at Thursday's practice. He also missed practice time last week with his foot injury. Brown likely isn't going to be 100 percent and will be at risk of an in-game setback if he plays this week.

Sep 25, 2020, 10:41 AM ET

Bills WR John Brown (calf) practiced Thursday. 

A great sign for Brown's Week 4 availability against the Raiders. If he practices Friday, Brown should be good to go for this week. Before being shut out last week -- thanks in part to his calf injury -- Brown started the season red hot, with 10 catches for 152 yards and two touchdowns in the firs two weeks. He's a volatile WR3 this week against Vegas. 

SOURCE: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter 

Oct 1, 2020, 12:29 PM ET

Bills WR John Brown (calf) was removed from the team's injury report Friday.

Brown tallied 16 targets in Buffalo's first two contests before coming up limp against the Rams. He'll return to the field as a confident WR3 in Week 4 as the Raiders are expected to be without first-round CB Damon Arnette (finger). Gabriel Davis is still expected to be involved for four-wide sets.

SOURCE: Buffalo Bills PR on Twitter

Oct 2, 2020, 2:29 PM ET

John Brown caught 4-of-5 targets for 42 yards in the Bills' Week 4 win over the Raiders.

Brown may have been a tad slowed by his calf injury, but he still showed up in the box score with the second-most receiving yards on the team. He also nearly had a touchdown. Brown made a fantastic catch in coverage at the goal-line but the review booth deemed Brown had possession at the half-inch line instead of at the goal-line. It was debatable. With Josh Allen still cooking, Brown is a boom-bust WR3 in fantasy circles. That'd be the case in Week 5 if the Bills game isn't postponed. Their opponent, the Titans, have double-digit positive coronavirus cases at the moment. Brown managers should have a backup plan just in case.

- Rotoworld

John Brown (calf) remained limited for Friday's practice.

With two consecutive limited sessions, Brown is fully expected to recover by Tuesday night and turn around to face Tennessee. His injury reports over the weekend will be telling.

SOURCE: Terry McCormick on Twitter

Oct 9, 2020, 3:33 PM ET

John Brown (calf) remained limited for Friday's practice.

With two consecutive limited sessions, Brown is fully expected to recover by Tuesday night and turn around to face Tennessee. His injury reports over the weekend will be telling.

SOURCE: Terry McCormick on Twitter

Oct 9, 2020, 3:33 PM ET
:confused:

Bills didn't practice on Friday?

linky

Bills WR John Brown (calf) is inactive for Week 5 against the Titans. 

As is No. 2 RB Zack Moss (toe). Both players were considered genuinely questionable to suit up, though Brown seemed to be in the clear after a week of limited practices. His absence frees up more targets for both Cole Beasley and impressive rookie Gabriel Davis. Beasley will be a floor option with Davis offering ceiling. Also inactive for the Bills are QB Jake Fromm, LB Matt Milano, TE Lee Smith, OG Quinton Spain and CB Tre’Davious White. 

Oct 13, 2020, 5:32 PM ET

Bills WR John Brown (knee) practiced fully Thursday. 

He's listed on the injury report with a knee issue, different than the calf injury that has been reported last week. Brown was inactive Tuesday against the Titans, leading to a 100 percent snap share for WR Gabriel Davis, who caught five of nine targets for 58 yards. A full Thursday practice means Brown is on track to play Monday against Kansas City in what is likely to be a high-scoring affair. Brown is a WR3 option with upside in an excellent game environment this week. 

RELATED: 

Gabriel Davis

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter 

Oct 15, 2020, 3:39 PM ET

Bills WR John Brown (knee) practiced in full Friday. 

That's two straight full sessions from Brown after he missed Tuesday's game against the Titans. Brown is a WR3 option with upside in an excellent game environment this week. Gabriel Davis, who got nine targets and finished with 58 yards in Week 5 with Brown out, can be dropped to waivers in 12-team formats. 

RELATED: 

Gabriel Davis

SOURCE: Chris Brown on Twitter 

Oct 16, 2020, 3:07 PM ET

John Brown (knee) is active for Week 6 against the Chiefs.

DFS Slant:

This dulls any DFS enthusiasm for Buffalo WR Gabriel Davis ... Brown himself is a WR3 value filler with acceptable salaries on DraftKings ($4,000) and Yahoo ($14). 

Oct 19, 2020, 3:35 PM ET

John Brown didn't catch any of his four targets in the Bills' Week 6 loss to the Chiefs.

Josh Allen missed Brown on multiple passes and had a rough night overall. He only threw for 122 yards. As a secondary pass-catching option on the Bills, Brown is going to be susceptible to the ups and downs of Allen for the remainder of the season. Cole Beasley saw seven targets and may have the inside track for the No. 2 receiving job in Buffalo. Brown is a WR4 with some upside if Allen can turn things around against the Jets next week.

Oct 19, 2020, 8:44 PM ET

Speaking Tuesday, Bills coach Sean McDermott admitted John Brown (knee) was not 100 percent healthy. 

This was obvious to anyone watching Monday's game between the Bills and Chiefs, where a hobbling Brown was eliminated for zero catches on four targets. Battling knee, calf and foot issues for nearly the entire season, Brown now has the Bills' Week 7 bye week to try to get healthy. Brown got off to a hot start in 2019 before badly fading down the stretch. Hopefully that is not his 2020 fate, as well. 

Oct 20, 2020, 4:31 PM ET

Current John Brown owners. Do you have any level of comfort having him on your bench and ready to use him as an emergency start due to injury/bye issues? Can’t imagine what his value is if any at all. 

John Brown (knee) remained sidelined for Thursday's practice. 

Brown was limping all over the field on Monday against the Chiefs, and then coach Sean McDermott said Tuesday he was nowhere close to 100 percent healthy. The Bills' bye is not until Week 11, so there aren't any easy decisions to be made with Brown's health. Even one game off would probably do him a world of good. If Brown suits up against the Jets, he will be a low-floor WR4 for Week 7. 

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Oct 22, 2020, 2:16 PM ET

Bills WR John Brown (knee) practiced fully Thursday. 

That's Brown's second consecutive full practice after missing Week 7 against the Jets. Going catches in two of his past three games, Brown would be a low-end WR3 option this week against New England. 

SOURCE: Buffalo Bills on Twitter 

Oct 29, 2020, 3:44 PM ET

Bills WR John Brown (knee) was removed from Friday's injury report.

Brown practiced in full throughout the week and should be back at 100% against New England. Expected to take the field without Stephon Gilmore (knee, questionable) Sunday, Brown is suddenly in a favorable spot across from Stefon Diggs in a total that was only bet down due to wind concerns mid-week.

SOURCE: Buffalo Bills PR on Twitter

Oct 30, 2020, 3:19 PM ET

Call me crazy and a bills homer but John Brown could very well be a late year league winner. He had good week 1 and 2 games then has been marred with injuries since then. Seems like he is finally healthy. He was dropped in my league last week and i quickly scooped him up. Potential buy low target also.... I think what we saw the last 3 games is Allen’s and the Bills floor offensively. Moss and Devin both healthy and a few O line pieces back and i think this offense could really get humming. 

Call me crazy and a bills homer but John Brown could very well be a late year league winner. He had good week 1 and 2 games then has been marred with injuries since then. Seems like he is finally healthy. He was dropped in my league last week and i quickly scooped him up. Potential buy low target also.... I think what we saw the last 3 games is Allen’s and the Bills floor offensively. Moss and Devin both healthy and a few O line pieces back and i think this offense could really get humming. 
This is a perspective thing, he's kind of driven me nuts in FF and I can't move him so I hold onto him.

The Bills sorely need him....and to be the player he was. Their line wasn't good enough to let Spain walk.

OL play in the NFL is as if several teams scarfed up all the good ones and the rest have trouble finding any. CB play is even worse except for some here n there. I think most teams forgot about competition and tried moreso to just instill their offense or defense. The XFL offered so many alternatives and of course they had the usual college amount. I think most teams would absolutely love to get a few hungry try as hard as he can type players now. Anyhow, rant rant, I'm really upset with the Bills and their line. They finally have a solid team and the line lets em' down

This is a perspective thing, he's kind of driven me nuts in FF and I can't move him so I hold onto him.

The Bills sorely need him....and to be the player he was. Their line wasn't good enough to let Spain walk.

OL play in the NFL is as if several teams scarfed up all the good ones and the rest have trouble finding any. CB play is even worse except for some here n there. I think most teams forgot about competition and tried moreso to just instill their offense or defense. The XFL offered so many alternatives and of course they had the usual college amount. I think most teams would absolutely love to get a few hungry try as hard as he can type players now. Anyhow, rant rant, I'm really upset with the Bills and their line. They finally have a solid team and the line lets em' down
I agree about the line, mostly about Spain. The Bills are so invested in Cody Ford that they keep forcing him into the lineup even when he hasn’t shown he is the best option. They forced the RT thing last year even when it was clear he is too slow. They have kept forcing him in at guard even though he hasn’t shown he is strong enough.

Their line should improve quite a bit starting this week though as they look to be getting Jon Feliciano back. Feliciano was by far their best guard last year and they’ve badly missed him. Hopefully his pec injury is fully healed and he’ll be good to go. Winters will probably still be in the lineup which isn’t good, but hopefully next week they get Ford back as he’s at least an upgrade over Winters.

Looking back, what’s really disappointing is how relatively little they got for Wyatt Teller and how awesome he is for the Browns right now.

I don't know about league winner, but I could see him being an every week starter. I do think he's been a major missing piece of the Bills offense, and also helps the running game by keeping safeties back, and allowing Diggs to run more intermediate routes.

I don't know about league winner, but I could see him being an every week starter. I do think he's been a major missing piece of the Bills offense, and also helps the running game by keeping safeties back, and allowing Diggs to run more intermediate routes.
Two of Brown's 3 biggest games last year, including 3 of his 6 TDs, were vs a bad Miami secondary. I think Brown helps the Bills offense, but with Diggs and Davis added to the mix, I agree that he won't be a league winner. Maybe a spot starter.

John Brown (knee) was a full participant for Thursday's practice.

Wednesday's scare was probably just a rest day since Brown has unfortunately recorded only 63 receiving yards while banged up since Week 3. He remains a boom-or-bust WR3/4 in a prime spot against Seattle's secondary, which has allowed the most fantasy points per game to opposing wideouts.

SOURCE: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Nov 5, 2020, 4:42 PM ET

Anyone starting smoke this week against mr unliiiiiiiiimited 
I'm presuming last week - first week back, high wind game - should be discounted.

Flexing him but only bc bye weeks and injuries. It is a tasty matchup but my preference would be to leave him on the bench if I had better options. This week, I don't.

John Brown caught 6-of-8 targets for 72 yards in Buffalo's Week 10 loss to Arizona.

Brown left with an ankle injury following a spectacular catch that ended up being negated for holding at the line of scrimmage. He totaled 19 targets in the seven quarters he was healthy for the past two weeks but heads into Buffalo's bye week with an unknown status. If Brown misses any amount of time, fantasy players should note that Cole Beasley (11/109/1) previously averaged the 16th-most fantasy points per game at his position in two starts sans Brown and saw a team-high 13 targets on Sunday. The organization should have an update on Brown before vacationing in Week 11.

- Rotoworld

Bills coach Sean McDermott confirmed that John Brown "tweaked his ankle" in Week 10 against the Cardinals.

McDermott said the team will know more about Brown's status "in the coming days and weeks." The 30-year-old totaled 19 targets in the seven quarters he was healthy for the past two weeks but would obviously step aside for Cole Beasley, who previously averaged 16.7 fantasy points in two starts sans Brown this year, to surge against the Chargers (and beyond) if the former were sidelined for any amount of time. The Bills should have a firm update following the team's bye.

Nov 16, 2020, 4:20 PM ET

John Brown (ankle) was not seen practicing Tuesday. 

Coming off a bye after tweaking his ankle in Week 10 against the Cardinals, Brown still looks iffy to play this week against the Chargers. His Wednesday and Thursday practice statuses will tell us more about his Week 12 availability. Brown profiles as a sneaky upside play in what could be a shootout with Justin Herbert and company. Gabriel Davis would be a WR3/4 in larger leagues if Brown sits. 

RELATED: 

Gabriel Davis

SOURCE: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter 

Nov 24, 2020, 12:33 PM ET

Correct me if I am wrong, but hasn't Tuesday typically always been a rest day for smoke this year?

John Brown (ankle) didn't practice Wednesday.

The Bills are calling Brown day to day after he tweaked his ankle in Week 10. It's obviously a bad sign he couldn't practice coming off a bye. Brown looks on the wrong side of questionable for Sunday's potential shootout with Justin Herbert and the Chargers. Gabriel Davis would take on a larger role if Brown sits.

Nov 25, 2020, 11:44 AM ET

Being placed on IR with high ankle sprain per Schefter 
Sad to see, that offense is almost unstoppable when he and Moss are both in there. 

This does make Cole Beasley a WR2 the next 3 weeks in my opinion. In the 4 games Brown has either missed, or missed most of, Beasley has gone 6-100, 6-53, 4-45-1, and 11-112.

Rotoworld take:

Bills placed WR John Brown (ankle) on injured reserve.

The team hopes Brown misses the minimum of three games, which would include the Chargers, 49ers and Steelers. Brown has recorded 29 catches for 386 yards and two touchdowns this season, including 19 combined targets over the last two games. Rookie Gabriel Davis could see a massive bump in usage and opportunities until Brown returns.

RELATED: 

Gabriel Davis

Nov 28, 2020, 3:55 PM ET

Bills coach Sean McDermott said John Brown (ankle) will return to practice this week.

Brown, who has missed the past three games with a calf injury, is eligible to have his 21-day practice window opened and return to the field all in time to turnaround for Sunday's kick-off. Rookie Gabriel Davis has excelled with at least four targets and a touchdown in every start for Brown in three-wide sets in that time but the latter still opens up Buffalo's downfield attack when at full health. Brown's pending return would also allow OC Brian Daboll to attack with more 10 personnel as the team marches towards the postseason.

SOURCE: Matthew Fairburn on Twitter

Dec 14, 2020, 5:06 PM ET

Bills designated WR John Brown (ankle) to return from injured reserve. 

This formally opens Brown's three-week window to resume practicing ahead of a potential activation. Coach Sean McDermott had already said Brown would practice this week. Impressive rookie Gabriel Davis has held down the fort in Brown's absence, but the Bills' offense still looks the most dangerous when Brown is in it. Brown will be a volatile WR4 for the fantasy semifinals if he gets the green light to face the Broncos on Saturday. 

Dec 15, 2020, 5:30 PM ET

Bills coach Sean McDermott said John Brown (ankle) won't play in Week 15 against the Broncos.

Brown returned to practice mid-week but won't be able to turnaround in time for Saturday's game. It will be business as usual for Buffalo with Stefon Diggs, Cole Beasley, and Gabriel Davis in three-wide sets in a game that has been bet up from 48 to 50 since initially opening. With Denver's secondary likely down to fourth- and fifth-string corners, all of the Bills' wideouts are legitimately in play for re-draft playoffs in Week 15.

SOURCE: Sal Capaccio on Twitter

Dec 17, 2020, 9:20 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread