What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jimmy Smith is retiring (1 Viewer)

Will Jimmy Smith make it into the HOF?

• Yes, in 5 years

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, eventually

• No

• Total voters

The Football Freak

Footballguy
I'm a huge Jags fan and a HUGE Jimmy Smith fan so I wanted to be the one to make the poll. I'm gonna miss him, I wish he was still on my Jags catching those deep bombs. Always open, always making the spectacular catch, the guy was Mr. Reliable and he will be extremely hard for the Jags to replace, even at 37. Take it easy Jimmy.

7th in receptions with 862

11th in yards with over 12,000

67 TD's

Exactly.. He was a helluva player, but not considered an elite player at his position for a prolonged period of time. I think the argument others will make here (and have made in similar discussions of other players) is that there's only so many players from one position during any era that get elected into the HOF. Smith must deal with several other elite players like Rice, Moss, Owens, Harrison and even players like Tim Brown.

Rod Smith is a similar case.

Last edited by a moderator:
No chance.  If he'd come up with two or three more 1000-yard seasons, maybe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why? With his numbers you could make an argument that he is one of the 15 best ever. I would say top 10, but I'm a fan so my glasses may be tinted a little rosy.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First of all, there are only 17 modern-era WRs in the Hall of Fame; it is not easy to get in as WR. By the time Smith is eligible for inclusion in the Hall, his receiving yardsage numbers will be eclipsed by Bruce, Rod Smith, TO, Moss, Holt, and possibly McCardell and Keyshawn, which will leave him somewhere between #16 and #18 all time, and he's already only #31 in TDs. He's only had one really outstanding season in terms of yardage, and he didn't lead the league that year and only caught 6 TDs.Consistent, good player. Not a Hall of Famer.

The problem today is - and this is with all sports - the media saturation and marketing makes "future hall of famer" pretty ho-hum. I was listening to Czaban (Fox Sporst Radio) a few feeks ago and they had some rookie from the Washington Capitals on. I don't even remember his name (not a hockey fan) but after the interview he thanked him for coming on and called him a "future hall of famer." I mean, c'mon now... it's ridiculous.

Jimmy Smith's best years but him in the conversation among the elite receivers in the NFL. He didn't do it nearly as long to be considered - but he was a very good/great player. If there was a "Hall of Very Good" then he's in.

There is a Hall of Fame "test" that goes for every sport. If someone asks you a name and you have to think more than a half-second on whether they are or not, then they are not.

I don't mean this as an indictment on Smith himself. I have nothing against him and he was a good player, just not a hall of fame player.

I think he makes it, although that has nothing to do with whether or not I think he deserves it.

Nine of ten seasons with 1,000+ receiving yards might just do it.

Was he even ever top 5 at his position in a season (may be close in '99)? A good consistent WR but never dominant.

Was he even ever top 5 at his position in a season (may be close in '99)? A good consistent WR but never dominant.
He was top 5 in yardage five times, but top 3 only once. I think the strongest argument against him is that if Keenan McCardell plays two or three more seasons and manages 1650 yards and 6 TDs total, he will have higher career yardage and TDs than Jimmy Smith. If you're in the same neighberhood as Keenan McCardell, you're not a Hall of Famer.

You are going a ton of WRs who have numbers, but won't make the HOF over the next few years. Art Monk had (I believe did not look up) more catches than anyone when he retired and played with Washinton during its heyday and he has not made it.

Smith has been consistent and stayed around forever, but I am not convinced that is all to being a HOF. Need to do something that sets you apart from the pack.

if he'd a played in a bigger market his possibilty of making the HOF would be much greater. i'd be willing to bet his #'s are better than what most of us think they were. drug suspension was a bummer.

Was he even ever top 5 at his position in a season (may be close in '99)?  A good consistent WR but never dominant.
He was top 5 in yardage five times, but top 3 only once. I think the strongest argument against him is that if Keenan McCardell plays two or three more seasons and manages 1650 yards and 6 TDs total, he will have higher career yardage and TDs than Jimmy Smith. If you're in the same neighberhood as Keenan McCardell, you're not a Hall of Famer.
He's had a good, long, consistent career but was never great. He's also never won a superbowl or has any of those other "factors" that seem to help guys with inferior stats.

Not a chance in hell until Art Monk makes it....
He ranks seventh in NFL history with 862 receptions and 11th in receiving yards. He has more receptions than every receiver in the Hall of Fame, and only Marvin Harrison has more catches and yards receiving than Smith since 1996.That's pretty solid.

Edited to add I didn't mean to quote the Art Monk post...

He ranks seventh in NFL history with 862 receptions and 11th in receiving yards. He has more receptions than every receiver in the Hall of Fame, and only Marvin Harrison has more catches and yards receiving than Smith since 1996.That's pretty solid.

Has he won or appeared in any Super Bowls? Did he set any records while an active player? Did he ever get suspended during his NFL career?The passing/receiving numbers of the NFL are out of whack. Vinnie Testeverde is a Top 10 QB by your rationale and a LOCK to get in, and the ONLY way he gets into the Hall of Fame is if he has Jimmy Smith drive him there, and pay for his admission.

That's a pretty neat stat. None of the top 10 leaders in receptions are in the HOF. After this year, that number will probably rise to at least the top 12.

He ranks seventh in NFL history with 862 receptions and 11th in receiving yards. He has more receptions than every receiver in the Hall of Fame, and only Marvin Harrison has more catches and yards receiving than Smith since 1996.

That's pretty solid.
So there is one stat he's in the top-10 in (receptions). But again, by the time he's eligible he'll be passed by McCardell, Bruce, R.Smith, Keyshawn, TO, and probably Moss, Holt, Moulds, and Muhammad. Do they all get in the Hall?

I'm huge Jags fan and Jimmy Smith fan. Playing in a small market will hurt Jimmy some, as I do believe that if more had seen him play in his prime he would get a lot more respect. He was an excellent WR for many years. But I don't see any way he makes it into the HoF and don't think he earned it in any market. He was very close, but not quite there.

An interesting question arises with the debate about Jimmy. If he was very good for a long time but never great, and that's the measure for the HoF. Why shouldn't another Jag, Tony Boselli be a HoF'r? Tony was great, but not for a long period of time. Does the argument against Jimmy help Tony? Does the argument against Tony help Jimmy? I don't think either get in. But they are nice counter points to different veiws as to what determines a HoF'r.

There's only room for AT MOST one WR Smith in the HoF... and unfortunately for Jimmy, if it's anyone, it's Rod. Basically the same numbers... but Rod was on two SB Champion teams, Rod has extremely memorable moments (the 80 yard catch-and-run against Atlanta in the SB and the 106 yard rundown of Julius Peppers to prevent the TD), has a better claim to fame (the #1 undrafted reciever of all time, unless you count Don Hudson who joined the Packers before the existance of the draft), and Rod wins the character battle, too (never suspended). Add the fact that Rod has never in his entire career missed a single voluntary workout (a feat which Shanahan says he's never seen duplicated), and Rod's got the clear edge over Jimmy.

Basically, there's no way the Hall of Fame lets BOTH of them in, and there's no way that the Hall of Fame lets Jimmy in over Rod. Whether Rod ever makes the Hall of Fame or not (which, at this point, is still very much up in the air), he is the biggest obstacle standing between Jimmy Smith and the hall.

This doesn't diminish what Jimmy Smith has accomplished in the slightest. He was a fantastic reciever who had a wonderful career. He's just not a Hall of Famer.

No, and it's not close.
seeeeeeriously. Come on guys, get real. The guy's just not HOF material. He had a great career, but no way should he get into the HOF unless they're officially changing the name to the HALL OF VERY GOOD.

Has he won or appeared in any Super Bowls? Did he set any records while an active player?
Yes and yes. :P
It doesn't count if your team wins a superbowl in a year where you're only active for 7 games (as a special teamer) and finish the season with 0 catches for 0 yards and 0 TDs.

If you forget about the guy being a star or being in the league he isn't a hall of famer. I did on both points. He reminds me of a Rusty Staub or Al Oliver type. Always putting up nice numbers but was never a really feared player.... Oh if he was a hockey player he is in but that's another story........ :excited:

There's only room for AT MOST one WR Smith in the HoF... and unfortunately for Jimmy, if it's anyone, it's Rod. Basically the same numbers... but Rod was on two SB Champion teams, Rod has extremely memorable moments (the 80 yard catch-and-run against Atlanta in the SB and the 106 yard rundown of Julius Peppers to prevent the TD), has a better claim to fame (the #1 undrafted reciever of all time, unless you count Don Hudson who joined the Packers before the existance of the draft), and Rod wins the character battle, too (never suspended). Add the fact that Rod has never in his entire career missed a single voluntary workout (a feat which Shanahan says he's never seen duplicated), and Rod's got the clear edge over Jimmy.

Basically, there's no way the Hall of Fame lets BOTH of them in, and there's no way that the Hall of Fame lets Jimmy in over Rod. Whether Rod ever makes the Hall of Fame or not (which, at this point, is still very much up in the air), he is the biggest obstacle standing between Jimmy Smith and the hall.

This doesn't diminish what Jimmy Smith has accomplished in the slightest. He was a fantastic reciever who had a wonderful career. He's just not a Hall of Famer.
I agree that Rod is better qualified than Jimmy, but he's not going to make it either.

Has he won or appeared in any Super Bowls? Did he set any records while an active player?
It doesn't count if your team wins a superbowl in a year where you're only active for 7 games (as a special teamer) and finish the season with 0 catches for 0 yards and 0 TDs.
Facts are facts. Jimmy Smith has 2 Super Bowl rings.
Doesn't mean a thing if you don't do anything to earn it. Jimmy Smith didn't even *APPEAR* in a game in 1993. Was he on the practice squad or something? Either way, you can't claim that you legitimately earned a superbowl ring if you didn't even appear in a single football game that season.Besides, he may have the rings... but the original question was has he APPEARED IN ANY SUPERBOWLS. And I'm pretty sure he wasn't active in either. So no, he hasn't "appeared" in any superbowls. He hasn't played a single snap of any superbowl. Sure, he sat on the sidelines for a couple, but every single Head Coach in the NFL can make that claim, except for Mike Tice who always scalped his tickets.

I agree that Rod is better qualified than Jimmy, but he's not going to make it either.
I definitely think he's a borderline case. If he retires now, I agree. If he manages to play for another 2 seasons and put up good numbers, or if Denver wins another superbowl with him, then I think he makes it in eventually- especially with his whole "best undrafted WR ever" thing and everyone loving an underdog story. Either way, Rod Smith completely eliminates any chance Jimmy would have at the HoF.

If you forget about the guy being a star or being in the league he isn't a hall of famer. I did on both points. He reminds me of a Rusty Staub or Al Oliver type. Always putting up nice numbers but was never a really feared player.... Oh if he was a hockey player he is in but that's another story........ :excited:
This is not correct. Jimmy Smith was a very feared WR in his prime. More than a few top CBs have mentioned Jimmy as one of the WRs they most hate to cover. While I don't think it will be the small market he played in that will keep him for the HoF, I do think the small market lead to opinions like this. Jimmy Smith likely is not a HoF WR, but he was one of the best for a long period of time and was certainly feared by many teams.

Jimmy Smith has no chance. Sure, he is 7th in receptions right now, but receptions in general are higher than they used to be, so by the time he is eligible for the Hall, he will likely have dropped out of the top 10 and maybe even the top 15. And his TD numbers were never outstanding at all. A total of 67 is pretty weak for a guy with as many catches as he has.

I am a Broncos fan (obviously), but I do not see Rod Smith making it, unless he has two or three more highly productive seasons and even then, he would still be iffy.

I definitely think he's a borderline case. If he retires now, I agree. If he manages to play for another 2 seasons and put up good numbers, or if Denver wins another superbowl with him, then I think he makes it in eventually- especially with his whole "best undrafted WR ever" thing and everyone loving an underdog story. Either way, Rod Smith completely eliminates any chance Jimmy would have at the HoF.
Even if he does play 2 more years what can we realistically expect? 1000-6 tds and finishing as the 22nd-30th best wr? Not sure why that would change anything except to pad stats on an already good career. In 11 seasons he's finished 3rd, 4th and 4th best in wr points other than that his best finish was 12th. Consistently good, never great. Yes he's got the "other" with the SB rings that he helped earn but he's another guy that is not a game changer or feared wr. He's a solid, hard working wr that put up consistently GOOD stats.

Has he won or appeared in any Super Bowls?  Did he set any records while an active player?
Facts are facts. Jimmy Smith has 2 Super Bowl rings.
Doesn't mean a thing if you don't do anything to earn it.
Dude, all I did was answer some guy's question. He wanted to know if Smith played in a Super Bowl, and I gave him the answer. Nobody cares what your opinion is. :)
Besides, he may have the rings... but the original question was has he APPEARED IN ANY SUPERBOWLS. And I'm pretty sure he wasn't active in either. So no, he hasn't "appeared" in any superbowls.
http://www.superbowl.com/history/boxscores/game/sbxxviiBe careful about putting your foot in your mouth or you might get :own3d:

While I do not think Jimmy Smith deserves to get into the HoF, I do strongly disagree with the people that characterize him as pretty good WR that lasted along time and was never a "feared" WR.

Jimmy was much better than pretty good. He played for a team who's all time record for TD passes in a season is 20, think about that when you knock his lack of a 10 TD season. He put up his stats while always playing for a team that was not close to wide open in it's passing game.

But my opinion doesn't matter much, see if you think these quotes describe an only pretty good WR that was never feared.

Baltimore Ravens CB Chris McAlister

“We nicknamed him “J-Smooth” because he made everything look so easy. Jimmy is clearly one of the best receivers to touch the field. He was one of the most consistent players in the NFL, with his great combination of speed and power and elite route running ability. I loved competing against him because he always brought out the best in me. I will miss him as a competitor, and the league will miss him as a man. I wish him nothing but the best.”

Cincinnati Bengals WR Chad Johnson

“Retirement? No way. Not yet. He's smooth, still one of the best in the game.

Baltimore Ravens CB Deion Sanders

“Jimmy might not have the national recognition of Jerry Rice at the WR position, but every defensive back that has played in the 1990's to current, and every defensive coach in the league knows exactly who he is. He will go down in history as one of the best.

Tennessee Titans Head Coach Jeff Fisher

For years he has been one of the top receivers in the NFL, while others around the league received more attention. He is one of the more difficult receivers to defend against and he shows up week after week after week.”

Indianapolis Colts Head Coach Tony Dungy

“A tremendous receiver, a competitor. He has the great speed and acceleration out of the cuts. He catches the deep ball well. He's physically a tough guy. He just has what you look for in a receiver. And now he's at the point where he still has the physical skills, but he has a great deal of experience and he knows what he's doing out there. He's just one of the best receivers that's played in this era.”

Denver Broncos CB Champ Bailey

Jimmy Smith is the toughest wide receiver I've faced. He just works so hard and plays the game with so much intensity that he's difficult to stop. Every year, and I'm not sure why, he just doesn't get the attention he deserves. But he's one of the best receivers in the NFL.”

Baltimore Ravens CB Samari Rolle

“Jimmy has no weaknesses. He can play anyway he needs to. He can play the physical game. He can play the finesse game. Or he can run by you. That's why I think he's the best receiver in the league.”

St. Louis Rams WR Isaac Bruce

Jimmy Smith is one of the most unheralded wide receivers ever to play in the National Football League. He is one of the best route runners that I have ever seen. He is very explosive. Truly, truly a Hall of Famer.”

Indianapolis Colts WR Marvin Harrison

“Jimmy Smith is the ultimate receiver with the perfect personality to complement it. You look at Jimmy Smith and no other receiver does what he does. He has it all, size, strength, speed and hands. I have looked up to him since day one. He has encouraged me as receiver. I cherish my friendship with him and the times we have spent together at the Pro Bowl and other places. Once you get to know Jimmy Smith and talk with him, you realize he's a family man. It hurts me to see him leave even though I compete against him. He's the ultimate, point blank.”

What if a Michael Jordan kind of Smith comes into the league and goes to the HOF? Are all future Smith's damned to be left out because of that rule? I don't know if either of these Smith's should be in the hall, but I have to question your logic a bit. They've played in almost the same number of games and Jimmy has, and for the most part, always has had, better numbers. He was always more feared than Rod and was consistently drafted higher in pretty much every league over the past eleven seasons.

Your point is that Rod has Super Bowl rings and was undrafted while Jimmy has had some drug and suspension issues. I can agree with that, but if the HOF voters put more weight on talent, and less on rings and Rudyism, then Jimmy goes in long before Rod does.

It seems there are a few misconceptions about Jimmy Smith's career.

1. That he played a long time and while his career stats are impressive, they are the result of being pretty good for a long time but never great.

Jimmy only really played 10 seasons worth of games. He missed 4 games with the drug suspension in 2003 and started 4 games at the end of the 1995 season. He did miss 2 starts and 1 game in 2000. So his career was basically 1996-2005. He had 862 catches for 12,287 yards. So he averages out to around 85 catches and 1,200 yard per season. In that time frame he had 9 seasons over 1,000 yards and in the drug suspension year he had over 800 yards in 12 games.

People keep comparing him to Art Monk. In a less pass happy era, Monk only had 5 seasons over 1,000 yards, only 3 seasons with 80 or more catches(Jimmy had 6) and played 15 seasons. With those 5 extra years Monk ended his career less than 100 more catches and less than 500 more yards. Jimmy had 1,000 yards last season, he did not extend his career to milk stats.

Jimmy did not have a long career. He is 37 now, but injury and being cut by the Cowboys resulted in a delayed start to his career. His career stats are almost all from a 10 years stretch and 10 years is not a long time for a WR to play.

2. That he caught a lot of balls but was never a bigtime TD threat.

Here are some numbers: 19, 18, 20, 14 20, 19, 17, 14, 15, 15. That's the number of TDs thrown by Brunell and Leftwich in the years they played with Jimmy. Some of the years there were some TDs thrown by other QBs, but not enough to change my point. In Jimmy Smith's career there were two seasons were a QB had 20 TDs, and all the rest were under 20. He was never in an offense that would allow him to have bigtime TD numbers. He was not a great goalline threat as a WR but produced a good amount of TDs when you factor in the systems he played in. He had 178 catches over 20 yards, 39 over 40 yards and averaged 14.3 per catch. It's not like was a short yardage, ball control only WR.

3. That his numbers look good compared to old time WRs, but they aren't that great compared to other WRs in the more pass happy recent NFL.

Only Marvin Harrison has more catches and more yards than Jimmy from 1996 to the present. And that's with Manning in the colts offense. What could Jimmy have done with the colts, vikings, san fran/philly over the last 10 years? We'll never know. But his numbers are outstanding and he played in a non-aggressive system his whole career. In fact the passing numbers for the Jags do compare to the numbers of teams in the pre-pass-happy NFL era, so perhaps comparing Jimmy's numbers to older WRs isn't that much of a stretch. In reference to Monk, Theismann has some seasons in the early 80's that were much better than any season one of Jimmy's QBs ever had.

---------------------------------------------

A lot of people will say that Jimmy should not be in the Hof just because of his stats, that his skills weren't HoF level. I see it the other way. I don't think Jimmy is a Hof'r because his stats aren't good enough, namely his TDs. Jimmy's skill as a WR was certianly HoF level. But his stats just aren't that eye catching. I can blame it on the Jags system, but in the end he did not put up the numbers you expext from a HoF WR in the modern era. But that does not change that fact that for 10 years he was exceptional. He was not a pretty good WR that just padded is stats with a long career.

I regret that many of you obviously missed seeing Jimmy play enough to truly understand how good he was. He was a joy to watch, battled every play, and was as good as anyone in the game for those 10 years.

Users who are viewing this thread