What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jets at Pats... Jets+-10.5 (1 Viewer)

Rovers

Footballguy
Rex Ryan is 3-4 against Belichick. In the last two games played on NE's home turf Sanchez has 5TD passes and 360 yards with a 116 QB rating. NE's pass defense is atrocious. While many want to hang a hat on how bad the Jets WR's might be, I disagree. S Hill has 3 TD's in 4 games played. Kerley is averaging over 17YPC. Keller should be 95% or better by now. S Hill is a legit deep threat against those sub par NE safeties. Schillens is not terrible for a WR3.

Few have been as down on the Jets as I have been, but this game I find interesting, and frankly, difficult to predict. I see three possible types of game here. The low scoring 16-13 game that could go either way, the Pats in a blowout, or a shootout with 60 points going on the scoreboard.

Does NE go with the double hurry-up? Pound the ball? Do the Jets attack the Pats defensive weakness and throw? Will the NE game plan be slow it down and run it down the Jets sub par rush D? Does Ryan realize he can only win by throwing the ball early and often? Try to force NE into passing instead of the reverse?

I'm going Jets 28, NE 27 in a huge upset.

Disclosure: I have 6 players in this game in my starting line up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see a decent game with NE pulling ahead in the 3rd quarter but never blowing NYJ out. I predict NE winning by 10.

best way to exploit ne at the moment is to throw the deep ball, the thing the jets do the worst, tebow throws a pretty good deep ball i wonder if we will see him take a crack or two?

jets d has stepped a bit more in recent games, they will need to get pressure on brady to have any chance in this one.. and wilkerson/coples have begun to show some signs..

a tall order, not out of the question but 10% chance of win, 50% chance of a non blowout and 40% chance of a double digit bad loss.

I expect a NE gameplan similar to how they put 52 on the Bills a few weeks ago with heavy doses of running the ball. I think multiple Pats rb's will have big games and the Pats will grind the Jets into submission that way. NE 34 NYJ 20.

Jets -10.5
I'll take the Pats +10.5 please. :moneybag: :moneybag:
Dooohhhh! :homer: Fixed. You knew what I meant... I think.I agree the Jets have not had much success throwing deep, but that is on Sanchez, not the WR's. 50 yard bombs are not in his repetoire, but if he can hit Hill 25 yards downfield over the safties, it could work. Ryan will load up the box to stop the run. They have to. This is a different NE offense. You stop the run, you have a chance. If NE goes double hurry up against 8 in the box, Brady WILL throw the ball. That could (and has led to turnovers) and that is how I would game plan it. I've read that Seattle was in nickel and still stopped or at least limited Ridley from that defense. Landry could be the key to the Jets D. Playing up against the run but dropping into nickel. Should have left the typo in there... maybe the Jets CAN win by 10! :scared:

If the Jets wants to go to the nickle by default we'll see a bunch of Hernandez and Gronk - maybe even some runs by Hernandez - and a ton of Welker dink and dunk stuff - and then go long to Lloyd. Can the Jets handle that? it seems like a mismatch of proportions

If the Jets wants to go to the nickle by default we'll see a bunch of Hernandez and Gronk - maybe even some runs by Hernandez - and a ton of Welker dink and dunk stuff - and then go long to Lloyd. Can the Jets handle that? it seems like a mismatch of proportions
I think Cromartie will make Lloyd a non factor. He has upped his game since Revis went down. Is Hernandez really healthy now? I'm not so sure. I think if the Jets go nickel, the Pats run, run and run some more. Landry will disguise the nickel as best he can... but Brady is hard to fool.

only way the jets are in this game is if they rattle brady a couple of times... he is beginning to hear that pitter patter a little more these days...

The Jets and Rex Ryan did well against the Patriots in '09 and '10 (3-2, counting the playoff game), but the Patriots obliterated their defense last year thanks to the emergence of Gronk and Hernandez. The Jets never do well at stopping tight ends, and having to game plan to stop two great ones means they are vulnerable elsewhere. I suspect the Patriots will run it down their throats early and often.

START RIDLEY! :)

Looks like Bolden will not play. I expect a heavy dose of Ridley and Woodhead. The Pats need this win more than the Jets, and I think they come out firing on all cylinders. I don't think it'll be a blow out, but I see at least a 10-14 pt win.

I think Cromartie will make Lloyd a non factor. He has upped his game since Revis went down. Is Hernandez really healthy now? I'm not so sure. I think if the Jets go nickel, the Pats run, run and run some more. Landry will disguise the nickel as best he can... but Brady is hard to fool.
Agree with this. Unless the Jets can stop the nickel run, it is going to be a long day for that defense.

Rex Ryan is 3-4 against Belichick. In the last two games played on NE's home turf Sanchez has 5TD passes and 360 yards with a 116 QB rating. NE's pass defense is atrocious. While many want to hang a hat on how bad the Jets WR's might be, I disagree. S Hill has 3 TD's in 4 games played. Kerley is averaging over 17YPC. Keller should be 95% or better by now. S Hill is a legit deep threat against those sub par NE safeties. Schillens is not terrible for a WR3. Few have been as down on the Jets as I have been, but this game I find interesting, and frankly, difficult to predict. I see three possible types of game here. The low scoring 16-13 game that could go either way, the Pats in a blowout, or a shootout with 60 points going on the scoreboard. Does NE go with the double hurry-up? Pound the ball? Do the Jets attack the Pats defensive weakness and throw? Will the NE game plan be slow it down and run it down the Jets sub par rush D? Does Ryan realize he can only win by throwing the ball early and often? Try to force NE into passing instead of the reverse? I'm going Jets 28, NE 27 in a huge upset. Disclosure: I have 6 players in this game in my starting line up.
I am shocked... SHOCKED I tell you to see a post like this coming from someone hailing from NY.

I think the Jets are going to get blown out. NE by at least 17.
:cry: :goodposting: The Jets can't stop tight ends; the Pats have 2 great ones. The one thing the Pats do well on defense is stop the run; that's the one thing the Jets need to do for their offense to have an success. For the Jets to have a shot, Sanchez will have to play a great game and not turn the ball over. I don't see that happening. Even if he does, I doubt it will be enough.The Pats are a really good team and all of their losses have been really close. The Jets are not a really good team, unfortunately.

'njherdfan said:
I think the Jets are going to get blown out. NE by at least 17.
:cry: :goodposting: The Jets can't stop tight ends; the Pats have 2 great ones. The one thing the Pats do well on defense is stop the run; that's the one thing the Jets need to do for their offense to have an success. For the Jets to have a shot, Sanchez will have to play a great game and not turn the ball over. I don't see that happening. Even if he does, I doubt it will be enough.The Pats are a really good team and all of their losses have been really close. The Jets are not a really good team, unfortunately.
The Jets have given up 3 TD's to TE's through 6 games. Chandler, H. Miller and O. Daniels. Only Daniels had more than 50 yards recieving (79) and the Jets average only 42 yards to TE's per game including Daniels' total. Keep in mind that A Johnson was shut down in that Houston game. Not stellar by any stretch, but to say they can't stop TE's is incorrect. Landry and Bell were brought in specifically to cover the Pats' TE's. That's why Smith and Leonard are elsewhere. I agree that the Jets will not have success running the ball, but the Pats have no safeties that can cover. I agree it's on Sanchez. If he can sting that Pats D backfield early, it may open up the running game some. Still, Sanchez will have to throw for over 200 with no INT's. I think he might even be able to throw for 300 in this game. It's been an unpredictable year. We'll see what happens.

Wouldn't bet on the game, if the Jets didn't have Rex as their coach I'd say this is an epic beating as the Pats are burning off a loss and have more talent at just about every position on the field. However, Rex strikes me as the type that spends 10x more time scheming against the Pats than anyone else - year round. I don't see the Jets winning, but a 23-16 type game wouldn't surprise me.

'[icon] said:
Rex Ryan is 3-4 against Belichick. In the last two games played on NE's home turf Sanchez has 5TD passes and 360 yards with a 116 QB rating. NE's pass defense is atrocious. While many want to hang a hat on how bad the Jets WR's might be, I disagree. S Hill has 3 TD's in 4 games played. Kerley is averaging over 17YPC. Keller should be 95% or better by now. S Hill is a legit deep threat against those sub par NE safeties. Schillens is not terrible for a WR3. Few have been as down on the Jets as I have been, but this game I find interesting, and frankly, difficult to predict. I see three possible types of game here. The low scoring 16-13 game that could go either way, the Pats in a blowout, or a shootout with 60 points going on the scoreboard. Does NE go with the double hurry-up? Pound the ball? Do the Jets attack the Pats defensive weakness and throw? Will the NE game plan be slow it down and run it down the Jets sub par rush D? Does Ryan realize he can only win by throwing the ball early and often? Try to force NE into passing instead of the reverse? I'm going Jets 28, NE 27 in a huge upset. Disclosure: I have 6 players in this game in my starting line up.
I am shocked... SHOCKED I tell you to see a post like this coming from someone hailing from NY.
I don't know if that's supposed to be sarcasm, but I'd be pretty surprised to see jets fans picking the jets in any given week.

I don't think the Jets trust Sanchez enough to win this game.
Chase... I regretfully have to agree. If they are to have a chance, they have to let Sanchez attempt to play like a real, bona-fide NFL QB. I'm afraid they won't. This is Ryan's greatest weakness as a HC. He wants to dictate. That means running the ball no matter what. Belichick attacks weaknesses. Ryan doesn't, he's too stubborn. If he does allow Sanchez to play, I'll be surprised and my opinion of him, win or lose will go up. If he doesn't... I want him replaced. Not that my opinion means a hill of beans...

Actually, if Sanchez didn't suck so much, the Jets would have won this game. This loss is entirely on him. I just wonder how long it will take them to realize they wasted a first round pick on him. Once they do, the rebuild can begin... and pleeeease... don't even mention Tebow.

Actually, if Sanchez didn't suck so much, the Jets would have won this game. This loss is entirely on him. I just wonder how long it will take them to realize they wasted a first round pick on him. Once they do, the rebuild can begin... and pleeeease... don't even mention Tebow.
Sanchez made 3 horrible plays. No question about it.But Sparano is a joke (shotgun on 3rd and one inside the 5) when Greene is getting 4 yards every time. Brilliant) and Hill dropped a ball my grandmother would have caught. If he catches that ball, the jets either score a TD or work the clock down to nothing and kick a game winning FG. That's what awful about Sanchez. He shows just enough to make you think he just might get it. But in year 4, you can't fumble that ball in overtime. You just can't. Not on 2nd down. And the underthrown INT was awful.

Sanchez made 3 horrible plays. No question about it.But Sparano is a joke (shotgun on 3rd and one inside the 5) when Greene is getting 4 yards every time. Brilliant) and Hill dropped a ball my grandmother would have caught. If he catches that ball, the jets either score a TD or work the clock down to nothing and kick a game winning FG. That's what awful about Sanchez. He shows just enough to make you think he just might get it. But in year 4, you can't fumble that ball in overtime. You just can't. Not on 2nd down. And the underthrown INT was awful.
Agree with all of this. The only point I'd clarify is that even if Hill catches that pass, the Jets couldn't have kicked the game-winning field goal. They were down 3 at the time; they either would have needed to score a TD or kick the field goal, as they did later. Hill's drop didn't really make a huge difference.Sanchez had some awesome series, but he continuously shows a shocking lack of football awareness; that fumble is inexcusable. Taking that sack before the go-ahead field goal was awful too; it was just lucky Folk still made his kick. The Jets played really well, and Landry played his best game as a Jet. This game was there for the taking. I really wish the Jets hadn't gone to the prevent right after they hit their last field goal, because the Pats marched down the field pretty easily to tie the game when they'd been struggling to move the ball before.

Agree with all of this. The only point I'd clarify is that even if Hill catches that pass, the Jets couldn't have kicked the game-winning field goal. They were down 3 at the time; they either would have needed to score a TD or kick the field goal, as they did later. Hill's drop didn't really make a huge difference.Sanchez had some awesome series, but he continuously shows a shocking lack of football awareness; that fumble is inexcusable. Taking that sack before the go-ahead field goal was awful too; it was just lucky Folk still made his kick. The Jets played really well, and Landry played his best game as a Jet. This game was there for the taking. I really wish the Jets hadn't gone to the prevent right after they hit their last field goal, because the Pats marched down the field pretty easily to tie the game when they'd been struggling to move the ball before.
You're right. The Hill drop was on the previous drive. Still, it would have made a world of difference. If he scores on the play, they're up 4 and NE obviously needs a TD. If he catches it and doesn't score, you could obviously still score later or work the clock down. (which didn't matter in retrospect, but could have) I was really pissed about the Sanchez sack before the 2nd FG as well, at first. however, It would have been nearly as bad to throw the ball away and let the Pats save a time out. If NE had an extra time out, they might have won the game in regulation.

He wasn't very good, but that Hill drop was a killer.And virtually no one in here predicted the game. Pats are not very good, the Jets are worse.

He wasn't very good, but that Hill drop was a killer.And virtually no one in here predicted the game. Pats are not very good, the Jets are worse.
I think I am a virtual someone. I mean, ok, I said Jets 28-27... but I had the points about right, and if Sanchez .. oh well. I was pretty close anyways. Neither team is not very good? Um... ok. :unsure:

Lost in the result in that Rex Ryan completely outcoached Bill Belichick again. Going into Foxboro with Mark Sanchez against Tom Brady is like bringing a knife to a gun fight, yet the Jets were right there at the end and could have won it if not for a drop by Hill or a long FG miss.

I dont know about the first part of the game - but Rex went super conservative when it was time to put the Pats away - result: LOSS.

I think I am a virtual someone. I mean, ok, I said Jets 28-27... but I had the points about right, and if Sanchez .. oh well. I was pretty close anyways. Neither team is not very good? Um... ok. :unsure:
Honestly, do you see either team making it far in the playoffs? I suppose it's possible because the AFC is so weak, but neither of these teams should be considered in the top 10 overall right now.

The Jets have been much better than I anticipated since Revis went down (mostly due to Cromartie and Wilson stepping up their play, although wilson has been very lucky) but the Jets are still a very flawed football team. Even if you assume Sanchez is an average QB (jury still out and I'm leaning towards no due to the constant rookie level mistakes) this team's talent is still below average at RB, LB, WR (although Kerley's emergence is exciting). None of the LB's can rush the passer or cover anyone (the only "above average" skill among them is Harris' ability to stop the run).

This off-season, Holmes becomes cuttable and Pace and Scott's contracts run out. Bryan Thomas will likely retire. I'm not a cap expert, but those moves should open up a decent amount of money to bring in some younger, more mobile defenders. Right now, the only slow guys are KILLING the jets' ability to get off the field on 3rd down.

The Jets also need to find a big time RB who can make some plays in the passing game as well. Greene has been better recently, but he's still well below average, stinks in the passing game and is always getting banged up. Yesterday was probably the 4th or 5th time in his career that Greene couldn't play down the stretch of a close game.

The team will also improve as Wilkerson, Coples and Ellis get more experience. But an edge rusher is still the team's biggest need.

Honestly, do you see either team making it far in the playoffs? I suppose it's possible because the AFC is so weak, but neither of these teams should be considered in the top 10 overall right now.
List the 10

The Jets have been much better than I anticipated since Revis went down (mostly due to Cromartie and Wilson stepping up their play, although wilson has been very lucky) but the Jets are still a very flawed football team. Even if you assume Sanchez is an average QB (jury still out and I'm leaning towards no due to the constant rookie level mistakes) this team's talent is still below average at RB, LB, WR (although Kerley's emergence is exciting). None of the LB's can rush the passer or cover anyone (the only "above average" skill among them is Harris' ability to stop the run).

This off-season, Holmes becomes cuttable and Pace and Scott's contracts run out. Bryan Thomas will likely retire. I'm not a cap expert, but those moves should open up a decent amount of money to bring in some younger, more mobile defenders. Right now, the only slow guys are KILLING the jets' ability to get off the field on 3rd down.

The Jets also need to find a big time RB who can make some plays in the passing game as well. Greene has been better recently, but he's still well below average, stinks in the passing game and is always getting banged up. Yesterday was probably the 4th or 5th time in his career that Greene couldn't play down the stretch of a close game.

The team will also improve as Wilkerson, Coples and Ellis get more experience. But an edge rusher is still the team's biggest need.
:no: It would be an 11 million dollar cap hit if we cut Holmes after this season. ETA: Nevermind, it's a savings of 1.5 million. Not sure if that justifies cutting him. It might. After this year, I'm sure Pace, Scott, Eric Smith and Brad Smith will be gone. Thomas isn't under contract but I assume he'll get better. I think they let Moore walk and plug in Vlad as a starter. The team's biggest free agent will be Keller; he won't put up great stats because he's on the Jets, but he's a great talent and I think he'd be a huge asset on a better team, and I wouldn't be surprised to see another team make him a big offer.Coples was in the backfield a lot yesterday, but I agree, the Jets STILL need a good edge pass rusher. After this season, I also hope the Jets are able to re-sign Landry. By next year, the Jets D-line should be a force though, as you said, because both Wilk and Coples are the real deal. I also liked what I saw from Demario Davis yesterday.

Who do you see playing the Texans in the AFCCG right now? The AFC is totally wide-open, and I think the Pats have as good a shot as any team at making the AFCCG.

Users who are viewing this thread