What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Porter (1 Viewer)

ourmanflint

Footballguy
Jerry Porter signed with Jacksonville in the offseason at 6 years $30 MIL / $10 MIL guaranteed.

Assuming he gets his head screwed on straight and stays healthy, what sort of potential does this receiver have?

Has Jerry Porter really had a chance to shine in Oakland? Here is his career in a nutshell:

Picked in the 2nd round in 2000. Struggles to get involved in the offense his first 2 years.

2002 - 51/688/9 This with Jerry Rice and Charlie Garner catching over 90 balls and Tim Brown catching 80. QB Rich Gannon throws for 4600+ yds and 26 TDs.

2003 - injury riddled season for Porter. Also with injuries and inconsistency at QB

2004 - leads team in receiving with 64/998/9 opposite Ronald Curry. QB Kerry Collins throws for 3500 yds and 21 TDs

2005 - 76/942/5 opposite Randy Moss. QB Kerry Collins throws for 3700+ and 20 TDs. Moss caught 8 of them.

2006 - suspended all year

2007 - 44/705/6 with a horrible offense and hodgepodge of QBs throwing for 2800+ yds and 17 TDs

Last year Jacksonville’s QBs threw for 3500 yds and 28 TDs. Not bad production but no real #1 receiver. Reggie Williams lead the team with 38/629/10.

One has to think Porter has some serious potential here. He is currently ranked in FootballGuys redraft at 38 with a low of 59 (Lammey) and a high of 26 (Norton).

Undervalued?

Last edited by a moderator:
Made it through an entire 1/2 practice with the Jags before pulling up with a hamstring injury.

Jags fans have my sympathy.

Jerry Porter signed with Jacksonville in the offseason at 6 years $30 MIL / $10 MIL guaranteed.

Assuming he gets his head screwed on straight and stays healthy, what sort of potential does this receiver have?

Has Jerry Porter really had a chance to shine in Oakland? Here is his career in a nutshell:

Picked in the 2nd round in 2000. Struggles to get involved in the offense his first 2 years.

2002 - 51/688/9 This with Jerry Rice and Charlie Garner catching over 90 balls and Tim Brown catching 80. QB Rich Gannon throws for 4600+ yds and 26 TDs.

2003 - injury riddled season for Porter. Also with injuries and inconsistency at QB

2004 - leads team in receiving with 64/998/9 opposite Ronald Curry. QB Kerry Collins throws for 3500 yds and 21 TDs

2005 - 76/942/5 opposite Randy Moss. QB Kerry Collins throws for 3700+ and 20 TDs. Moss caught 8 of them.

2007 - 44/705/6 with a horrible offense and hodgepodge of QBs throwing for 2800+ yds and 17 TDs

Last year Jacksonville’s QBs threw for 3500 yds and 28 TDs. Not bad production but no real #1 receiver. Reggie Williams lead the team with 38/629/10.

One has to think Porter has some serious potential here. He is currently ranked in FootballGuys redraft at 38 with a low of 59 (Lammey) and a high of 26 (Norton).

Undervalued?
Undervalued if you ignore the fact that he is injury prone and his head isn't screwed on straight, like you seemingly have.

I like him as a 4th WR with 3rd WR upside. He's going to have a good QB getting him the ball and his only real competition should be Reggie Williams (maybe Mike Walker). He's on a good, well coached team now and it'll be interesting to see if he responds - I think he will and should have a decent season, though Jax won't throw enough to allow him to truly break out.

8 years of data to look at. OP makes excuses for him over and over. They have Matt Jones and Reggie if they want big talent that won't produce big. DelRio is trying to get them to overcome that. That's the issues there.

Early reports are real favorable with Jerry and Garrard "hitting it off". It looks promising but people are going to temper their enthusiasm about a Porter and talented Jaguars WRs that haven't produced big numbers until proven otherwise. Just plugging in some gaudy stats for him, people have done that and been burned. I don't imagine him being ranked too too high this summer.

Made it through an entire 1/2 practice with the Jags before pulling up with faking a hamstring injury.

Fixed. This clown regularly fakes injuries in the offseason and magically is cured right before the season. If I recall, one year when Gruden was coach, the bum faked right up to the 4th pre-season game. Gruden told him to either suit up and play or he wouldn't dress week one. He played. Fans on his #### for his faking back in 2005. They had had enough of his routine back then.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2005/08...r-the-final-53/

Undervalued?
I don't think so. WR35-40 is a pretty good guess. (I view him as a WR4 type in a 12-team league)
Definitely undervalued.Last season, the Jags threw for 3495 yards, to put that in perspective, Manning only threw for 300 more yards. And one could argue that the Jags will have more passing yards this year, as Garrard will have a season under his belt as the starter, and last time missed 4 games. Quinn Gray his backup averaged a full yard per attempt less than Garrard.Contrast that with what Porter had to deal with in Oakland last season. The FOUR quarterbacks that threw passes totaled a whopping 2883 yards.They had 3 receivers with over 500 yards receiving, Williams, Northcutt, and Wilford.Wilford in now in MIA, Northcutt is a journeyman. So that leaves Williams as Porter's competition for #1 WR status, which we know Porter has already locked up. Williams is entering his 5th season, and only twice has exceeded 600 yards. He's a solid #2 WR, but does not have #1 NFL WR potential.Now the Jags do have other WRs on their roster, but the only one worth even considering is Mike Walker, who has serious injury issues.Walker will probably battle with Northcutt to be the #3 WR.Porter really is the uncontested #1 WR, he's the only guy who has the ability to put up 1,000 yards (outside of Walker potentially) and the team is committed to him.Now that's probably all updside. Of course Garrard could get injured again. Mike Walker could explode to be the #1. Porter could get injured (he's only missed 2 games due to injury in the past 4 years though).Reality though is that Porter will be a solid #2 FF WR, and has potential to be a lower tier #1 FF WR. He does have risk associated with him, which should cause him to fall a little bit. But to slot him as your 4 or 5 would be a steal.

8 years of data to look at. OP makes excuses for him over and over. They have Matt Jones and Reggie if they want big talent that won't produce big. DelRio is trying to get them to overcome that. That's the issues there.

Early reports are real favorable with Jerry and Garrard "hitting it off". It looks promising but people are going to temper their enthusiasm about a Porter and talented Jaguars WRs that haven't produced big numbers until proven otherwise. Just plugging in some gaudy stats for him, people have done that and been burned. I don't imagine him being ranked too too high this summer.
Matt Jones is not really a WR talent. He was considered a raw prospect when drafted, and since then has proven he just doesn't have WR skills.Reggie Williams is talented, but not a top tier talent, just WR2 talent, which is what he is.

If anything, the Jags have been unable to judge WR talent in the draft for a while. Going out and getting a guy who has proven his talent at the NFL level was a smart move, and they will make sure they use Porter a lot.

I have been a supporter of Jerry Porter since he came out of West Virginia. At that time he was still only beginning to learn the nuances of the position. I told anyone that would listen that when he learns how to better use his body and run routes more effectively he would be one of the best in the league. Well, that was years ago - and Porter has disappointed me every year. I simply don't believe in him any more. :goodposting:

I have been a supporter of Jerry Porter since he came out of West Virginia. At that time he was still only beginning to learn the nuances of the position. I told anyone that would listen that when he learns how to better use his body and run routes more effectively he would be one of the best in the league. Well, that was years ago - and Porter has disappointed me every year. I simply don't believe in him any more. :sadbanana:
What about the two years he nearly hit 1,000? Do you feel he lost the talent? Or do you think he just doesn't have the work ethic? He's spent his entire career in the cesspool known as the NFL's Oakland Raiders. Do you think being in a better environment in JAX will not be a positive? I though he showed maturation last season, despite the ups and downs in Oakland. :shrug:

I have been a supporter of Jerry Porter since he came out of West Virginia. At that time he was still only beginning to learn the nuances of the position. I told anyone that would listen that when he learns how to better use his body and run routes more effectively he would be one of the best in the league. Well, that was years ago - and Porter has disappointed me every year. I simply don't believe in him any more. :goodposting:
What about the two years he nearly hit 1,000? Do you feel he lost the talent? Or do you think he just doesn't have the work ethic? He's spent his entire career in the cesspool known as the NFL's Oakland Raiders. Do you think being in a better environment in JAX will not be a positive? I though he showed maturation last season, despite the ups and downs in Oakland. :goodposting:
Work ethic is a serious concern with Porter, but I also think JAX is a worse team for WR's than OAK. Obviously OAK has been a mess, but JAX is a terrible place for WR's since they run the ball so much and the RB's are a big part of the passing game. He should manage to put together a 1000 yard season but there isn't a lot of upside.

I have been a supporter of Jerry Porter since he came out of West Virginia. At that time he was still only beginning to learn the nuances of the position. I told anyone that would listen that when he learns how to better use his body and run routes more effectively he would be one of the best in the league. Well, that was years ago - and Porter has disappointed me every year. I simply don't believe in him any more. :stirspot:
What about the two years he nearly hit 1,000? Do you feel he lost the talent? Or do you think he just doesn't have the work ethic? He's spent his entire career in the cesspool known as the NFL's Oakland Raiders. Do you think being in a better environment in JAX will not be a positive? I though he showed maturation last season, despite the ups and downs in Oakland. :ninja:
Work ethic is a serious concern with Porter, but I also think JAX is a worse team for WR's than OAK. Obviously OAK has been a mess, but JAX is a terrible place for WR's since they run the ball so much and the RB's are a big part of the passing game. He should manage to put together a 1000 yard season but there isn't a lot of upside.
I believe Porter scored a 28 on the wonderlic. He's not dumb and he knows how to get by with minimal effort and still cash a paycheck. Heck, he was able to get thru a whole year unscathed with a 1-7 yard performance and still cash his paychecks. He knows how to work the system. That's his greatest attribute...to himself. Signing with Jax. was a like hitting the jackpot. He can really slack off there as no one is expected to put up huge #'s at the WR spot.

I have been a supporter of Jerry Porter since he came out of West Virginia. At that time he was still only beginning to learn the nuances of the position. I told anyone that would listen that when he learns how to better use his body and run routes more effectively he would be one of the best in the league. Well, that was years ago - and Porter has disappointed me every year. I simply don't believe in him any more. :blackdot:
What about the two years he nearly hit 1,000? Do you feel he lost the talent? Or do you think he just doesn't have the work ethic? He's spent his entire career in the cesspool known as the NFL's Oakland Raiders. Do you think being in a better environment in JAX will not be a positive? I though he showed maturation last season, despite the ups and downs in Oakland. :hophead:
He played on Super Bowl teams, he was a doosh then, as well. He has never matured. And he makes Javon Walker look like an iron man.I don't hate Porter, I am disappointed that he never became a stud. I feel for the Jags fans, I think their WR situation stinks.Porter will have a few decent games, which will cause owners to insert him in their lineups, then he'll disappear. As soon as they pull him, he'll have a big game. Porter is gonna be a fantasy owner's nightmare, IMO.Lower tier #1? Wow, I really disagree with that.

cstu said:
Obviously OAK has been a mess, but JAX is a terrible place for WR's since they run the ball so much and the RB's are a big part of the passing game. He should manage to put together a 1000 yard season but there isn't a lot of upside.
Let's see:Last year JAX threw for @3500 yards

Last year OAK threw for @2800 yards

JAX threw for 25% more yards than than OAK.

Last year JAX threw 469 times.

Last year OAK threw 451 times.

About even in pass attempts

Last year JAX RBs had 61 receptions, @21% of JAX completions (288).

Last year OAK RBs had 98 receptions, @38% of JAX completions (260).

JAX RBs had 38% FEWER receptions than OAK RBs.

Last year JAX had 522 rushing attempts

Last year OAK had 508 rushing attempts

About even in rush attempts

Last year JAX rushing attempts made up 53% of the offensive plays

Last year OAK rushing attempts made up 53% of the offensive plays

Exactly even rushing attempt %

Jacksonville is CLEARLY a better place for a WR to be, in terms of offensive system, passing ability, and involvement of RBs versus WRs in the passing game.

kevinallen said:

Undervalued?
Undervalued if you ignore the fact that he is injury prone and his head isn't screwed on straight, like you seemingly have.
It appears you seemingly ignored the original poster clearly stating that he's aware of these two factors. I think a WR3 in a 10-team league is Porter's ceiling in the run-oriented Jax offense, with being un-rostered as his floor.
He acknowledges the two factors, but then assumes that they wont lead to any problems. I am not so optimistic perhaps.

He played on Super Bowl teams, he was a doosh then, as well. He has never matured.
This is now, that was then. Porter seemed very mature last season, despite being very unhappy in Raider land. He still gave it his all on the field.
And he makes Javon Walker look like an iron man.
Interestingly, Porter has missed 23 games in his career (12 of which were not injury-based, but I included them anyway), whereas Walker has missed 24 in his career. Walker has played 2 fewer seasons, and has already missed more games.
I don't hate Porter, I am disappointed that he never became a stud.
From your argument, which is littered with inaccuracies, I'd guess you hate him more than you'd like to admit. And that your perspective is tainted by your being a Raiders fan.
Lower tier #1? Wow, I really disagree with that.
In a 12 team league, he's got to put up top-10-12 numbers. Or if a team stacks up at RB, their #1 may even end the year as #15 at the WR position, and still be #1 calibre.Last year, Holt was the #10 WR in yards, with 1189. Porter could make that.

Last year Reggie Williams (JAX) was the #10 WR in TDs

So... given that JAX could put up a 10 TD WR, and Porter obviously knows how to score TDs (most rec TDs - 6 on 44 rec - in OAK last season, 9TD twice in his career), has the capacity to break 1,000 yards (mid-to-high 900s twice). He clearly has the ability to be a top-10 FF WR this season.

A low-end projection has him at 900-8. That would put him at 138 points, or WR 20/21 last season. That's a solid #2 WR in a 12 team league. That's his floor. Two more TDs (10), or 100 more yards would put him at WR #15 last season.

He's got the potential to put up 1,200/12 IMO.

kevinallen said:
Undervalued?
It appears you seemingly ignored the original poster clearly stating that he's aware of these two factors. I think a WR3 in a 10-team league is Porter's ceiling in the run-oriented Jax offense, with being un-rostered as his floor.
He acknowledges the two factors, but then assumes that they wont lead to any problems. I am not so optimistic perhaps.
Porter hasn't missed a game due to injury since 2003. I'm not sure where the injury-prone tag comes from.In 2006 he was benched due to a "bad attitude", but then again, that's also the season Randy Moss gave up on the Raiders team. IT didn't seem to affect him in NE. And, last season Porter didn't display any of his attitude issues at all. Hmmm... maybe it was the coach in '06 that was the problem?

Don't believe that I ever said he was injury-prone. Just said "if he stays healthy" which is probably a consideration for any player in the NFL.

He played on Super Bowl teams, he was a doosh then, as well. He has never matured.
This is now, that was then. Porter seemed very mature last season, despite being very unhappy in Raider land. He still gave it his all on the field.
Interestingly, Porter has missed 23 games in his career (12 of which were not injury-based, but I included them anyway), whereas Walker has missed 24 in his career. Walker has played 2 fewer seasons, and has already missed more games.
From your argument, which is littered with inaccuracies, I'd guess you hate him more than you'd like to admit. And that your perspective is tainted by your being a Raiders fan.
In a 12 team league, he's got to put up top-10-12 numbers. Or if a team stacks up at RB, their #1 may even end the year as #15 at the WR position, and still be #1 calibre.Last year, Holt was the #10 WR in yards, with 1189. Porter could make that.

So... given that JAX could put up a 10 TD WR, and Porter obviously knows how to score TDs (most rec TDs - 6 on 44 rec - in OAK last season), has the capacity to break 1,000 yards (mid-to-high 900s twice). He clearly has the ability to be a top-10 FF WR this season.

A low-end projection has him at 900-8. That would put him at 138 points, or WR 20/21 last season. That's a solid #2 WR in a 12 team league. That's his floor. Two more TDs (10), or 100 more yards would put him at WR #15 last season.

Wow, littered with inaccuracies. Oh, I am sure that me being a Raider fan has clouded my judgment. No argument.

Being a Raider fan, I also got to watch him every week for the past 8 years.

So glad to hear that he matured in his contract year. How fortuitous.

I was *kinda* on the Jerry Porter bandwagon, especially at his low ADP, but Switz is making some excellent arguments in his favor. I'm starting to like this guy more...

So... given that JAX could put up a 10 TD WR, and Porter obviously knows how to score TDs (most rec TDs - 6 on 44 rec - in OAK last season), has the capacity to break 1,000 yards (mid-to-high 900s twice). He clearly has the ability to be a top-10 FF WR this season.

Wow, littered with inaccuracies. Oh, I am sure that me being a Raider fan has clouded my judgment. No argument.

Being a Raider fan, I also got to watch him every week for the past 8 years.

He knows how to play the 'game'.

kevinallen said:
Undervalued?
Porter hasn't missed a game due to injury since 2003. I'm not sure where the injury-prone tag comes from.In 2006 he was benched due to a "bad attitude", but then again, that's also the season Randy Moss gave up on the Raiders team. IT didn't seem to affect him in NE. And, last season Porter didn't display any of his attitude issues at all. Hmmm... maybe it was the coach in '06 that was the problem?
Not injury prone? the guy can't even make it through non-contact drills without having to sit out due to an injury. Am i supposed to be impressed that Porter went one whole year without attitude problems? I dont compare Porter's case to Moss' case as similar either. Moss still played 13 games in 2006. And Moss is a HOF athlete, while Porter is not.

You think 900/8 is his floor? That would really be something considering only one person in the AFC South (where Porter will be playing in '08) got those numbers last year, and that was Reggie Wayne.

He knows how to play the 'game'.
Just wondering.... were 2002, 2004, and 2005 all contract years for him as well?
If you think he was mature in those years, you are showing how little you know about Porter. No offense, I ain't picking a fight here, but he didn't say the right things until this past season. He's been a pain in the butt, and a primadonna his entire career.

Asking Jerry Porter to be a reliable WR for you week in and week out is like asking John Daly to lay off the booze...just isn't going to happen and you can keep giving him chance after chance, excuse after excuse, fool me once shame on you, Jerry, fool me twice shame on Gruden, fool me thrice shame on Al Davis, fool me 4 times shame on Art Shell, fool me a fifth time shame on...I'm running out of blames...Jack Del Rio, yeah that's the ticket.

What's the WR1 in Jax been posting under Del Rio since he took over? Let me help you...

2003: Jimmy Smith 54/800/4

2004: Jimmy Smith 74/1172/6...that season alone should get Smith into the HoF.

2005: Jimmy Smith 70/1036/6...I really think this is a direct result of an underappreciated WR over his career. His final year too...how many WR end on that note?

2006: Reggie Willaims 52/616/4...that was awesome

2007: Reggie Willaims 38/629/10...did he really have 10 TD last season? Hmmmmm

I come up with...carry the 4...pie divided by the coupon...58 catches, 800+ yds, and 6 TDs...now you can spin the numbers however you like. Is Porter draftable, sure he is but to draft him as one of your 3 starters in a start 3 league is silly. I like him as a WR5 or 6 after I have solid, and I mean solid production form my 1-4 slots. I won't draft him because he will be gone before I would get comfortable with him.

Asking Jerry Porter to be a reliable WR for you week in and week out is like asking John Daly to lay off the booze...just isn't going to happen and you can keep giving him chance after chance, excuse after excuse, fool me once shame on you, Jerry, fool me twice shame on Gruden, fool me thrice shame on Al Davis, fool me 4 times shame on Art Shell, fool me a fifth time shame on...I'm running out of blames...Jack Del Rio, yeah that's the ticket. What's the WR1 in Jax been posting under Del Rio since he took over? Let me help you...2003: Jimmy Smith 54/800/42004: Jimmy Smith 74/1172/6...that season alone should get Smith into the HoF.2005: Jimmy Smith 70/1036/6...I really think this is a direct result of an underappreciated WR over his career. His final year too...how many WR end on that note?2006: Reggie Willaims 52/616/4...that was awesome2007: Reggie Willaims 38/629/10...did he really have 10 TD last season? HmmmmmI come up with...carry the 4...pie divided by the coupon...58 catches, 800+ yds, and 6 TDs...now you can spin the numbers however you like. Is Porter draftable, sure he is but to draft him as one of your 3 starters in a start 3 league is silly. I like him as a WR5 or 6 after I have solid, and I mean solid production form my 1-4 slots. I won't draft him because he will be gone before I would get comfortable with him.
It might be worth noting that 2003-2005, Byron Leftwich was the QB and Smith still put up nice numbers at the end of his career.2006 - Leftwich and Garrard split time evenly but no Smith. Reggie and Matt Jones are the leading receivers.2007 - They finally have some stability at QB with Garrard but still no receivers.Not arguing with your projection, just qualifying your WR stats under Del Rio.

Asking Jerry Porter to be a reliable WR for you week in and week out is like asking John Daly to lay off the booze...just isn't going to happen and you can keep giving him chance after chance, excuse after excuse, fool me once shame on you, Jerry, fool me twice shame on Gruden, fool me thrice shame on Al Davis, fool me 4 times shame on Art Shell, fool me a fifth time shame on...I'm running out of blames...Jack Del Rio, yeah that's the ticket. What's the WR1 in Jax been posting under Del Rio since he took over? Let me help you...2003: Jimmy Smith 54/800/42004: Jimmy Smith 74/1172/6...that season alone should get Smith into the HoF.2005: Jimmy Smith 70/1036/6...I really think this is a direct result of an underappreciated WR over his career. His final year too...how many WR end on that note?2006: Reggie Willaims 52/616/4...that was awesome2007: Reggie Willaims 38/629/10...did he really have 10 TD last season? HmmmmmI come up with...carry the 4...pie divided by the coupon...58 catches, 800+ yds, and 6 TDs...now you can spin the numbers however you like. Is Porter draftable, sure he is but to draft him as one of your 3 starters in a start 3 league is silly. I like him as a WR5 or 6 after I have solid, and I mean solid production form my 1-4 slots. I won't draft him because he will be gone before I would get comfortable with him.
It might be worth noting that 2003-2005, Byron Leftwich was the QB and Smith still put up nice numbers at the end of his career.2006 - Leftwich and Garrard split time evenly but no Smith. Reggie and Matt Jones are the leading receivers.2007 - They finally have some stability at QB with Garrard but still no receivers.Not arguing with your projection, just qualifying your WR stats under Del Rio.
Plus - the error in this argument is comparing Smith to Williams. Williams is not that good of a WR. Smith was. When JAX has had a solid #1 WR, he put up 1,000+ yards.

Plus - the error in this argument is comparing Smith to Williams. Williams is not that good of a WR. Smith was. When JAX has had a solid #1 WR, he put up 1,000+ yards.
Please tell me you are not comparing a borderline HoF WR IMO to Jerry Porter who has a bad atitude, poor work ethic, and has never dominated...sudeenly in a power run offense he is going to blossom? I'm just asking.

Jerry Porter is bi-polar. Let's not be too hard on the guy, yeah, he's a jerk but it's more of a medical issue than a personality flaw.

Please tell me you are not comparing a borderline HoF WR IMO to Jerry Porter who has a bad atitude, poor work ethic, and has never dominated...sudeenly in a power run offense he is going to blossom? I'm just asking.
Nope - comparing Porter to JAX WR situation in general.BTW - power running game? It is true that JAX runs more than they pass, but they still threw for almost as many yards as Indy did last season, and no one would consider Indy a power running team.Problem in JAX since Smith left has been the WRs. And while I'm not saying Porter is as good as Smith, he's a heck of a lot better than Williams, Northcutt, and Wilford.

Matt Jones is not really a WR talent.
You just correct people whether they say something incorrect or not, don't you?"big talent that won't produce" surely describes Matt Jones. YOU referred to him as "a WR talent" not I.

cstu said:
Obviously OAK has been a mess, but JAX is a terrible place for WR's since they run the ball so much and the RB's are a big part of the passing game. He should manage to put together a 1000 yard season but there isn't a lot of upside.

Jacksonville is CLEARLY a better place for a WR to be, in terms of offensive system, passing ability, and involvement of RBs versus WRs in the passing game.
And again ....what was CSTU's first sentence?

Matt Jones is not really a WR talent.
You just correct people whether they say something incorrect or not, don't you?"big talent that won't produce" surely describes Matt Jones. YOU referred to him as "a WR talent" not I.
:lmao: Good point! I just assumed when you said a "big talent that won't produce" you realized that they were playing him at WR. Hence all that matters is his talent as a WR. My bad. :thumbup:

cstu said:

And again ....what was CSTU's first sentence?
Well, since he was obviously contrasting OAK and JAX (by the usage of the word 'but' - defintion #1. on the contrary) with the implication that JAX was an even worse situation, it seemed reasonable to compare which situation was worse. And in fact, while OAK is a mess, JAX is NOT a terrible place for WR's since they run the ball so much, in comparison. :thumbup: I just thought it would be a valid comparison to make.

Nope - comparing Porter to JAX WR situation in general.BTW - power running game? It is true that JAX runs more than they pass, but they still threw for almost as many yards as Indy did last season, and no one would consider Indy a power running team.Problem in JAX since Smith left has been the WRs. And while I'm not saying Porter is as good as Smith, he's a heck of a lot better than Williams, Northcutt, and Wilford.
All good points Switz, but don't overpay for this guy.

I have been a supporter of Jerry Porter since he came out of West Virginia. At that time he was still only beginning to learn the nuances of the position. I told anyone that would listen that when he learns how to better use his body and run routes more effectively he would be one of the best in the league. Well, that was years ago - and Porter has disappointed me every year. I simply don't believe in him any more. :shrug:
I agree Lam, there is only so many times to get hyped about a guy when you have to throw in the towel. If some soul gets lucky to draft Porter and he turns into a fantasy goldmine god bless them. I'll pass and I pretty much resent posting in a thread waisted on talking about this turd. Theres there and there is there, Porter ain't even close. Sharking is a great pastime in fantasy football, then there are the folks who are stretching the limits of common sense. This ain't a shark move its blind grasping at inevitable failure by a guy who is the omnipotent poster child for futility. To quote Forest Gump "Stupid is as Stupid does". Porter is as Porter does.On the Flip side Porter would be the most talent at the WR position in Jax for the past three years, and Jack Del Rio ain't the inept coaching staff in Oakland. Maybe he can kick some sense into the guy.

A year ago, most of us were convinced that Randy Moss was done.

But hey...we all know that no other WR could leave Oakland and do better somewhere else. And hey...he never really had a 1000 yard season (998 isn't 1000, and 940 isn't even close! :popcorn: ).

Hey, he is injury prone (2 games?).

PLEASE!!!!!

There are legit reasons to doubt him, but the OP (and switz) are right...he's under-valued right now. He has the potential to perform at a high end WR2 level, but can be had in most leagues at a WR4 price-tag.

I have been a supporter of Jerry Porter since he came out of West Virginia. At that time he was still only beginning to learn the nuances of the position. I told anyone that would listen that when he learns how to better use his body and run routes more effectively he would be one of the best in the league. Well, that was years ago - and Porter has disappointed me every year. I simply don't believe in him any more. :)
I agree Lam, there is only so many times to get hyped about a guy when you have to throw in the towel. If some soul gets lucky to draft Porter and he turns into a fantasy goldmine god bless them. I'll pass and I pretty much resent posting in a thread waisted on talking about this turd. Theres there and there is there, Porter ain't even close. Sharking is a great pastime in fantasy football, then there are the folks who are stretching the limits of common sense. This ain't a shark move its blind grasping at inevitable failure by a guy who is the omnipotent poster child for futility. To quote Forest Gump "Stupid is as Stupid does". Porter is as Porter does.On the Flip side Porter would be the most talent at the WR position in Jax for the past three years, and Jack Del Rio ain't the inept coaching staff in Oakland. Maybe he can kick some sense into the guy.
"Hyped" would be expecting high end WR2 numbers. Buying at high end WR3, when he has clearly performed to that level before (see 04/05) isn't exactly a big stretch. How were those years a disapointment?Maybe Lammey was TOO HYPED before, and isn't seeing the situation clearly now?

Made it through an entire 1/2 practice with the Jags before pulling up with a hamstring injury.

Jacksonville Jaguars Wide Receiver Jerry Porter was injured today while running drills during their offseason training today. Jerry, according to 1010XL, a Jacksonville Radio Station, went down after favoring one knee, and "slammed his helmet on the ground". Jaguars training staff stretched him out on the field and he did leave the field under his own power.Porter recently missed a few repetitions during a previous OTA with what seemed to be a strained achilles. This is his second injury in as many weeks. Pete Prisco, who was present at the OTA, said that the injury did not appear to be serious, but the Jaguars should consider dialing down his participation to prevent a very expensive injury

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2008/5/27/540...jerry-porter-in

Veterans often fake injuries to get out of camp.
This guy fakes them during the regular season as well, it seems.
He's missed 2 games in the regular season because of injuries? I'm not disputing the fact this guy is a headcase. I don't believe he'll become a #1 ff option. I DO think he'll play the full season and I DO believe he'll serve as a very good #3 option (with upside as he's the #1 wr on his team).For as much of a nutball as he was for your team, you'll surely admit Al Davis and company shouldn't be the litmus test for a player's on field abilities.

Veterans often fake injuries to get out of camp.
This guy fakes them during the regular season as well, it seems.
He's missed 2 games in the regular season because of injuries? I'm not disputing the fact this guy is a headcase. I don't believe he'll become a #1 ff option. I DO think he'll play the full season and I DO believe he'll serve as a very good #3 option (with upside as he's the #1 wr on his team).For as much of a nutball as he was for your team, you'll surely admit Al Davis and company shouldn't be the litmus test for a player's on field abilities.
What does Al Davis have to do with anything? Jerry isn't on the Raiders anymore, and I wasn't questioning his ability.I question his durability, and his deep speed. His attitude issues? Those will get laid at Davis' door, and that's fine. Incorrect, but understandable.Jerry Porter hasn't missed many games with injury, but he was perpetually on the injury list. Always had a minor little boo-boo that kept him from being 100%. Always was banged up enough to disappear for weeks at a time.This guy just signed a mega-deal with the Jags, has two injuries already, and you just write it off to veteran laziness? Frankly, I'm not sure that isn't even scarier than if he was actually banged up! Porter has a history of getting banged up in Oakland, and missing time, both in practice and in games. #3 fantasy production? Sure, I think he could finish in the top 36. I also don't think he's gonna be a major steal. He signed a big deal, the Jags are a team people are kinda buzzing about, and after Moss, people are just going to assume the Raiders exports are gold. He's gonna be one of those "sleepers" no one sleeps on.

Reality though is that Porter will be a solid #2 FF WR, and has potential to be a lower tier #1 FF WR. He does have risk associated with him, which should cause him to fall a little bit. But to slot him as your 4 or 5 would be a steal.
WOW! That must be some good stuff you've been smoking here to come up with this.....Jerry Porter a FF#1?......As a long-time Raider fan, trust me on this one, this guy will never be a true #1 of an NFL team, let alone a fantasy team. I mean, the guy has pretty good talent, although he has lost a step since his earlier years and he just doesn't get the separation that is needed to be a true #1 WR.....I mean, there aren't any teams out there that are threatened by Jerry Porter while game planning.......will never command a double-team and simply is nowhere near a #2, let alone a #1, fantasy WR......C'mon, man, are you related to him or something?.....

Anybody notice that if you prorate Garrard's stats from last year (taking out the Indy MNF game because he left early with a high ankle sprain) that he outscored Derek Anderson in a 1pt per 20yd, 4pt passing TD format? In the 11 games he was fully healthy (missed three after injuring the ankle, sat week 17 after they clinched a playoff spot) he averaged nearly 18 points per game. He did that with a substandard NFL WR corps.

Enter Jerry Porter who, if he stays healthy, will assuredly be his #1 target. Someone made the point in this thread that Porter will never draw a double team. As a guy who drafted Porter as my WR4 in a 16 team league I say "great". I'm hoping the Jaguar running game will afford Porter a lot of 1on1 opportunities. IMO, to look back at what Byron Leftwich did and try to extrapolate that to the 2008 Jaguar passing game is silly. Garrard played better last year than Leftwich ever dreamed of playing since he came into the league.

Not trying to hijack the thread because I think Porter will be a nice value this year, but Garrard is the real value you need to be taking a look at.

It never ceases to amaze how people still find reasons to like this guy. Jerry Porter had flashes of potential several years ago, but those days are long since gone. Jerry Porter has no place on a championship caliber team, in fact, he probably couldn't hold a roster spot on a cellar-dwelling fantasy football team. Yes, that's how bad he is.

Users who are viewing this thread