What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jermichael Finley (1 Viewer)

Squintz82

Footballguy
Quite a difference from last year's hype train. I can't find a good thread on him anywhere. How does everyone think he performs this season? He certainly didn't turn out like the stud everyone hyped him up to be last season. But he did finish pretty strong down the stretch.

After the elite TEs come off the board, how does he compare to Hernandez, Gonzalez, and Davis?

Just came in to add that Finley will not be playing in tonight's game due to the birth of his son, London Dash William Finley (no joke). So don't be alarmed if you only follow the game on a stat tracker.

There's a few type of ways players handle being in a contract year when they know they're worth a lot more - one of the beat writers classified Finley as a cautious, tentative player last year and says he looks like a new man this year, focused and performing. The drops last year (14) were a big issue last year but I see that number decreasing. And without those drops he would have been at 80 receptions for over 1,000 yards. With the contact issue behind him that sounds like a good approximation to me.

As far as fantasy goes I think Finley in the 6th is very good value as he has such a high floor with Rodgers. I wouldn't ever expect Graham or Gronk years from Finley, but he's a guy you can start every week and have him get 6 targets like clockwork. Floor of 65/900, ceiling of 85/1100. I think he's a safe mid-round pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure he probably won't ever match the hype we have had for him in the past or the actual numbers Gronk and Graham hit last year.

HOWEVER, I'll answer the question a different way. Of all the TEs in the league, if there was 1 TE that has the physical ability to be unstoppable, outside the Double G dynamos, its Finley. If the Packers just got a bug up their butt and said "You know what? We're going to play that silly TE nonsence game like the Saints and Patriots do, he could easily be that TE that puts up 14TDs, 1200 yards, and 90+ catches.

HOWEVER, I'll answer the question a different way. Of all the TEs in the league, if there was 1 TE that has the physical ability to be unstoppable, outside the Double G dynamos, its Finley. If the Packers just got a bug up their butt and said "You know what? We're going to play that silly TE nonsence game like the Saints and Patriots do, he could easily be that TE that puts up 14TDs, 1200 yards, and 90+ catches.
So true. I think it was the opener against the Saints last year where he caught two passes early on and looked like a beast who was unstoppable and then he barely saw the ball thrown his way the rest of the game. Part of it is the Packers liking to spread it around and part of it is Finley being a knucklehead who has lapses which prevent him from being the monster stat machine he ought to be.

So true. I think it was the opener against the Saints last year where he caught two passes early on and looked like a beast who was unstoppable and then he barely saw the ball thrown his way the rest of the game. Part of it is the Packers liking to spread it around and part of it is Finley being a knucklehead who has lapses which prevent him from being the monster stat machine he ought to be.
It's not true. Finley as a fantastic physical specimen is pure hype and not based at all on reality. He's not particularly big for a TE. He's slow and can't jump (check his combine stats). He doesn't have good hands. He's not nearly as smooth and athletic as guys like Graham, Gates, etc.He's an average talent in a great situation. No more, no less.

It's not true. Finley as a fantastic physical specimen is pure hype and not based at all on reality. He's not particularly big for a TE. He's slow and can't jump (check his combine stats). He doesn't have good hands. He's not nearly as smooth and athletic as guys like Graham, Gates, etc.He's an average talent in a great situation. No more, no less.
Disagree. He very athletic. 6'5", 250 IS big. He had drops last year but prior to that, he was actually known as having very good hands. I think a guy can have a bad stretch every once in a while..I think julio had 8-10 drops last year..better avoid him too I guess.I guess this is just one of those situations where you're probably the first person I've heard say Finley isn't that big. really hard to read or buy anything after that.

You might want to, you know, actually look at the heights and weights of other TEs in the NFL before claiming 6'5" 250 is bigger than average for the position.

You might want to, you know, actually look at the heights and weights of other TEs in the NFL before claiming 6'5" 250 is bigger than average for the position.
Yeah buddy! YOU might want to do just that. Hernandez 6'1"

Vernon 6' 3"

Gates 6' 4"

Daniels 6' 3"

Keller 6' 2"

Fred Davis 6' 4"

Tamme 6' 3"

Clark 6' 3"

Winslow 6' 4"

Moeaki 6' 3"

Pitta 6'4"

Kedricks 6' 3"

Sure, there are some guys out there at 6'5", like Finley, but he's clearly not anywhere close to average Joe.

If you want to hate on a guy, you might at least want to base it on something subjective or, you know, like, check the numbers before you make an #### out of your statement.

Took me 3 years to realize it but not a single receiver in the Packers system can command targets.

Bad for fantasy football when your QB cant not throw the ball to 12 different receivers every game.

+1 to the ignore list.
Ignoring a guy that proved you completely wrong?
How does listing 12 shorter guys prove anything again? I can certainly find 12 guys taller than 6'5" and another 12 that weigh more than 250. Point is that Finley is not exceptional size-wise for an NFL TE. I'm just not going to waste time arguing with a guy acting like an antagonistic moron in multiple threads.

'Shutout said:
I'm sure he probably won't ever match the hype we have had for him in the past or the actual numbers Gronk and Graham hit last year.HOWEVER, I'll answer the question a different way. Of all the TEs in the league, if there was 1 TE that has the physical ability to be unstoppable, outside the Double G dynamos, its Finley. If the Packers just got a bug up their butt and said "You know what? We're going to play that silly TE nonsence game like the Saints and Patriots do, he could easily be that TE that puts up 14TDs, 1200 yards, and 90+ catches.
I'll stay out of the pissing match here but Finley's measurables are good. However, they lose in comparison to a few studs...and a few non-studs like the Titans Jared Cook.

+1 to the ignore list.
Ignoring a guy that proved you completely wrong?
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Awesome ownage here.
Funny thing about it is he calls me antagonistic yet he's the one that comes out with these quippy remarks and compels my replies.I thought the definition of antagonistic was on the person who brings out the opposition. Oh well, I guess for some people, they just believe what they want to and if they say "Nuh UHN!" enough times, they convince themselves.

There's a few type of ways players handle being in a contract year when they know they're worth a lot more - one of the beat writers classified Finley as a cautious, tentative player last year and says he looks like a new man this year, focused and performing. The drops last year (14) were a big issue last year but I see that number decreasing. And without those drops he would have been at 80 receptions for over 1,000 yards. With the contact issue behind him that sounds like a good approximation to me.As far as fantasy goes I think Finley in the 6th is very good value as he has such a high floor with Rodgers. I wouldn't ever expect Graham or Gronk years from Finley, but he's a guy you can start every week and have him get 6 targets like clockwork. Floor of 65/900, ceiling of 85/1100. I think he's a safe mid-round pick.
Not sure I'd endorse a floor of 65/900 since his best season so far has been 10 receptions and 140 yards shy of that. A career year almost can't be a guy's floor.I do think he has a shot at those numbers, but I'm not rushing to take him over any of 5 or 6 other TEs.

BTW I'm not saying Finley sucks. I think he's an average NFL starting TE, in the 10-20 range as an NFL player. He's not an elite athlete at the position, though.

'Shutout said:
I'm sure he probably won't ever match the hype we have had for him in the past or the actual numbers Gronk and Graham hit last year.HOWEVER, I'll answer the question a different way. Of all the TEs in the league, if there was 1 TE that has the physical ability to be unstoppable, outside the Double G dynamos, its Finley. If the Packers just got a bug up their butt and said "You know what? We're going to play that silly TE nonsence game like the Saints and Patriots do, he could easily be that TE that puts up 14TDs, 1200 yards, and 90+ catches.
I'll stay out of the pissing match here but Finley's measurables are good. However, they lose in comparison to a few studs...and a few non-studs like the Titans Jared Cook.
Yup, they do..Cook is a good example all around too because of his speed, catching, etc. Not really a pissing match. I think our friend here just told a little bit of a tall tale and got a little cranky when his attempt to take a dig at someone got pushed back at him.

'Shutout said:
He has some great physical attributes but I believe you're selling both Graham and Gronkowski short. They make some unbelievable grabs, better than what Finley is able to do and they use their bodies to shield off defenders much better than what Finley can do. He's good, but he plays with Aaron Rodgers and you use that as if he's playing with a crutch and not on even par with the offenses the other two have. They use their TEs because they create unbelievable matchups for themselves. NE has no thing for TEs, when Randy Moss had the mismatches, they threw 23tds to him at the WR position. Finley's good and he'll have solid TE numbers if he's healthy, but the reason there's not a lot of hype on him this year is because people are still in awe of what Gronkowski and Graham did last season.

'Shutout said:
He has some great physical attributes but I believe you're selling both Graham and Gronkowski short. They make some unbelievable grabs, better than what Finley is able to do and they use their bodies to shield off defenders much better than what Finley can do. He's good, but he plays with Aaron Rodgers and you use that as if he's playing with a crutch and not on even par with the offenses the other two have. They use their TEs because they create unbelievable matchups for themselves. NE has no thing for TEs, when Randy Moss had the mismatches, they threw 23tds to him at the WR position. Finley's good and he'll have solid TE numbers if he's healthy, but the reason there's not a lot of hype on him this year is because people are still in awe of what Gronkowski and Graham did last season.
That's not what I meant at all. I meant the Packers really like to spread it around and the Saints and Pats seem much more willing to just keep drawing from the well relentlessly. But IF the Packers would just say "Hey, we will utilize this mismatch like those guys do", then Finley COULD be that type of player.Best example I can think of is, last year, in a game vs. the Bears, the Packers showed a rare willingness to just pick a mismatch to death with Finley. They abused the Bears and Finley ended up with 7/85/3TDS. The Bears were completely outmatched. No matter who they put on him, he ran by them or over them and the Pack was willing to just keep picking at it. That's what we see the Saints and Pats do. They have that mentality of "I'm going to push this down your throat until you prove you can stop it." But the Packers almost play too "clever" for their own good sometimes. They spread it around, keep people off-balance. Its certainly effective, but I get the sense that if they wanted to, they have players on their team that could dominate on the field.

I do agree that Finley is an elite talent and can create a ton of missmatches and troubles for defenses.

Its just that im also pretty confident he has more drops than every other TE (open ended I know), squandered what little opportunities he had last year.

Definitely thankful for those two huge games though.

I do agree that Finley is an elite talent and can create a ton of missmatches and troubles for defenses.Its just that im also pretty confident he has more drops than every other TE (open ended I know), squandered what little opportunities he had last year.Definitely thankful for those two huge games though.
Yeah. That "dropped passes" stat has been discussed a lot. Personally I think its overrated unless its a pattern and its not with Finley. Sometimes guys just have bad stretches. Brandon marshall led the NFL in drops a time or two. Roddy White led the NFL in drops last year until the end of November. I wouldn't knock a guy too hard on something like that when they haven't shown that to be a career long problem. Terrell Owens is a guy that has always seemed to have a high number of super untimely drops but I'll tell you, there were a HAND FULL of years where I'd laugh out loud if thats what someone wanted to pick nits on him about. "ok...yeah..you got me there buddy! You're right! He DID drop those 2 passes in one game! Guess that's why he only finished with 9/130/1TD. Terrible, I know but whatcha gonna do?" I mean, its almost like nitpicking and expecting perfection. Even when Brady throws 50 TDs, he still throws some INTs...its part of life.

BTW I'm not saying Finley sucks. I think he's an average NFL starting TE, in the 10-20 range as an NFL player. He's not an elite athlete at the position, though.
Don't trip back peddling.
How am I backpedaling? Finley's average is exactly what I said in my first post in the thread.
Time to create an alias and start over
I'd suggest "FinleyFan88".

'Shutout said:
'Coeur de Lion said:

Vernon 6' 3"

Gates 6' 4"

Daniels 6' 3"

Keller 6' 2"

Fred Davis 6' 4"

Tamme 6' 3"

Clark 6' 3"

Winslow 6' 4"

Moeaki 6' 3"

Pitta 6'4"

Kedricks 6' 3"

Sure, there are some guys out there at 6'5", like Finley, but he's clearly not anywhere close to average Joe.

If you want to hate on a guy, you might at least want to base it on something subjective or, you know, like, check the numbers before you make an #### out of your statement.
I don't really want to jump in the middle of this (I came here hoping to find some useful info) but it appears you intentionally ignored weight in an attempt to make a point. Fact is, almost all of these guys are bigger than Finley in the sense that they all weigh as much or more than him. 6'5" 250 isn't small, obviously 6'5" is a decent height for a TE, but he's definitely skinny for a TE (which is maybe why he's not a good blocker). So this post is really kind of a petty attempt to disprove a worthwhile point - Finley isn't all that special from a physical standpoint. I recall a couple years ago someone calling him the most freakish athlete at the position and someone else referencing Vernon Davis' combine stats vs. Finley's. It wasn't even close. It is almost comedic how quickly the SP labels guys as athletic when they put up some numbers. Yet another reason why the "eyeball" test is such a worthless metric.That being said, I'm intrigued by Finley. If I thought he'd see more targets this year then I'd be all about him. But 92 targets just isn't going to cut it. Gronk and Graham need way more than 100 targets to do what they do. Can anyone make a case that Finley will see at least 120 targets? He'll need more than eliminating his drops to become an elite FF TE. If GB does feature him more, which is not impossible, then sure, he could easily be a top 4 guy. It's not because he's got elite physical skills, though. It's because he's in a great system. I think a lot of other guys could do just as well in that spot. But for our fantasy purposes that doesn't matter. He's the GB TE in 2012. How many targets will he see?

'Shutout said:
'Coeur de Lion said:

Vernon 6' 3"

Gates 6' 4"

Daniels 6' 3"

Keller 6' 2"

Fred Davis 6' 4"

Tamme 6' 3"

Clark 6' 3"

Winslow 6' 4"

Moeaki 6' 3"

Pitta 6'4"

Kedricks 6' 3"

I don't really want to jump in the middle of this (I came here hoping to find some useful info) but it appears you intentionally ignored weight in an attempt to make a point. Fact is, almost all of these guys are bigger than Finley in the sense that they all weigh as much or more than him. 6'5" 250 isn't small, obviously 6'5" is a decent height for a TE, but he's definitely skinny for a TE (which is maybe why he's not a good blocker). So this post is really kind of a petty attempt to disprove a worthwhile point - Finley isn't all that special from a physical standpoint. I recall a couple years ago someone calling him the most freakish athlete at the position and someone else referencing Vernon Davis' combine stats vs. Finley's. It wasn't even close. It is almost comedic how quickly the SP labels guys as athletic when they put up some numbers. Yet another reason why the "eyeball" test is such a worthless metric.That being said, I'm intrigued by Finley. If I thought he'd see more targets this year then I'd be all about him. But 92 targets just isn't going to cut it. Gronk and Graham need way more than 100 targets to do what they do. Can anyone make a case that Finley will see at least 120 targets? He'll need more than eliminating his drops to become an elite FF TE. If GB does feature him more, which is not impossible, then sure, he could easily be a top 4 guy. It's not because he's got elite physical skills, though. It's because he's in a great system. I think a lot of other guys could do just as well in that spot. But for our fantasy purposes that doesn't matter. He's the GB TE in 2012. How many targets will he see?
:goodposting: Finley is average amongst starting TE's as far as physical attributes go.. He gets to play with a great offense. That's where he gets the stats..

Packer guy drinking green and yellow koolaid..

"Of all the TEs in the league, if there was 1 TE that has the physical ability to be unstoppable"

:hophead: PACKERTALK©

Cannot believe it took so long for someone to say, in this thread

Bump Finley

:boxing:

I have him 5 th after the big 3 and Gates

Huge upside, ageee but not likely to capture it. 750 and 5-6 should be floor

55/770/8 would be a "breakout candidate" on any other team. This may not seem as mind-blowing in the post mega-Gronk/Graham era, but 1,000/10 is easily achievable for Finley. He didn't even play that well in amassing last year's stats... although he was still double-covered fairly often for someone who "sucks" per previous posts.

Cannot believe it took so long for someone to say, in this thread

Bump Finley

:boxing:

I have him 5 th after the big 3 and Gates

Huge upside, ageee but not likely to capture it. 750 and 5-6 should be floor
Pretty much sums up this guy for me. His situation is great and he has the QB to turn him into the next Gronk/Graham, but all of that was true last year and he played like a replacement level player and didn't capitalize. So now what?

55/770/8 would be a "breakout candidate" on any other team. This may not seem as mind-blowing in the post mega-Gronk/Graham era, but 1,000/10 is easily achievable for Finley. He didn't even play that well in amassing last year's stats... although he was still double-covered fairly often for someone who "sucks" per previous posts.
Proof? Jordy Nelson, Greg Jennings, Jones, Driver, Cobb, Finley...yeah i'm sure defenses wanted to take Finley out of the game.

Proof? Jordy Nelson, Greg Jennings, Jones, Driver, Cobb, Finley...yeah i'm sure defenses wanted to take Finley out of the game.
There are times defenses have yes.I would not say he was being doubled that often.

But he has been a focus at points.

Mostly he and Jennings.

I expect Jordy will take on more of those double teams this year.

But teams don't like getting beat up the middle by TEs. LBs have trouble covering guys like Finley where as they feel a corner can handle Nelson (even after he toasts them).

And can people stop with this stuff that he is just average physically...quit looking at combine numbers and watch the guy on the field. Go back and watch that Arizona playoff game and tell me the guy catching those balls is just an average physical talent.

'Shutout said:
'Coeur de Lion said:

Vernon 6' 3"

Gates 6' 4"

Daniels 6' 3"

Keller 6' 2"

Fred Davis 6' 4"

Tamme 6' 3"

Clark 6' 3"

Winslow 6' 4"

Moeaki 6' 3"

Pitta 6'4"

Kedricks 6' 3"

I didn't list weights because this was such a ridiculous statement against Finley that I didn't want to put the time into listing weights that probably aren't accurate today or extend this discussion into 40 times, short shuttle times, targets, etc, etc,.the basis of the whole thing is it is ridiculous to talk about finley in a way that just ignores that his combination of size, speed, and ability is "average at best". You don't accidently finish top 10 two out of three years on a team that can easily make you one of 4 legit options by being average.

Your bolded part is really all that needs to be said to confirm that you, yourself, don't really think he's average. What you are saying is that he just doesn't get the opportunities. That's NOT an indictment of skill, that's an indictment of the system he plays in and the talent of his teammates...which is EXACTLY my point in the first post.

If the Packers used him as the same primary option as the Saints and Pats do, he would be dominant. Its akin to how people talk about Fitz. NOBODY says Fitz is an "average" talent. They mark him down because of his situation. Its the same with Finley. He's vying for targets against two top 10-15 WRs, a Wr that has been top 20 or so for 5+ years, and an electrifying young WR. There are just so manyballs to go around and the mentality is to spread it around. Yet, somehow a 6'5", 250 man that runs 4.65-4.75~, depending on which source you use, finishes top 10 the last two years he has been healthy and people call him average.

First of all, LMAO seeing the GB offense as a negative for Finley. I'm pretty sure Rodgers and/or the coaching staff are distributing targets based on who gets open and makes plays. Finley's efficiency per target is nowhere near the level of the other options in GB, so they get more looks. His yards/target, catch rate, raw numbers, and everything else pale in comparison to the top NFL TEs. He's just not elite by anything measurable, period.

Second, Graham, Gronk, and Vernon Davis are the current elite physical talents at TE.

Graham: 6'7" - 260 - 4.53 - 38.5" vertical

Gronk: 6'6" - 265 - 4.68 - 33.5"

Davis: 6'3" - 254 - 4.38 - 42" + 33 bench reps

Finley: 6'5" - 250 - 4.82 - 27.5"

People have been throwing the "elite talent," and "physical freak" labels at Finley for a few years now. It's just not true.

42 inch vertical is nasty
So is sub-4.4 at 254 lbs. Davis is ridiculous, Calvin Johnson style.Megatron: 6'5" - 243 - 4.35 - 42.5"If Davis was in GB and Finley was in SF we'd barely know Finley's name. VD would be in the Gronk / Graham discussion.

There are times defenses have yes.I would not say he was being doubled that often.

Mostly he and Jennings.

But teams don't like getting beat up the middle by TEs. LBs have trouble covering guys like Finley where as they feel a corner can handle Nelson (even after he toasts them).

And can people stop with this stuff that he is just average physically...quit looking at combine numbers and watch the guy on the field. Go back and watch that Arizona playoff game and tell me the guy catching those balls is just an average physical talent.
3 years ago

Mostly he and Jennings.

3 years ago
Come on man. Obviously the old green and gold goggling homer one game eyeball test outweighs every measurable number by which we can judge football ability. :lol:

Mostly he and Jennings.

3 years ago
Doesn't stop people form talking up chris Johnson. Wait. i know what comes next...CJ is a top 10 back every year at the end of the year. Well, Finley is a top 10 TE each year (of course was hurt 2 seasons ago so not that year).

In all seriousness; What's REALLY the point people are trying to make when they rip on Finley? What do people possibly gain from saying a guy is average or nothing special or "if he was here and that guy was there, then it would be like this"?

In the end, in the game of FF, he's a top 10 player that plays consistently week to week. In real life, if you watch the guy, you have to be blind or in denial to not notice his physical abilities. What's the point in clamoring something only to be proven wrong every year by the actual facts?

The real heartburn people have with finley (those that do) is that they act like a jilted lover. They just can't seem to accept that he didn't meet their lofty expectations. for some reason being a gifted top 10 athlete isn't good enough. He gets punished for not being Gronk.

Its a silly discussion all the way around. if you took the time to go down on a field and watch every TE in the league play on a Sunday, there is no way you would come back from that saying that Finley is average or isn't big or isn't fast, isn't talented, etc. People are just caught up in a FF scoring title and to them points at any given time=abiltiy. If Gronk was in Jacksonville, I guaratnee people wouldn't be calling him so talented. Instead of referring to his attributes as why he is so great, they would be referring to them as why he's too "this" or that" and why it doesn't fit...not based on attributes but based on the fact they couldn't start him with confidence in a fantasy lineup.

Some people around here act like everything happens in a vaccuum and life doesn't happen. There are NO contributing factors to anything. There are no ebbs and flows in a player's everyday life. If a guy drops 5 more passes than he did last year, he's obviously a loser now. ok. I guess nobody in here, in their glorious careers, has ever missed their sales quota for a quarter or lost a few cases in their trials or reviewed a fiscal year where the bottom line didn't meet objectives. You could have been CEO of the year for five consecutive years but the one year you did your usual productive job and a couple of guys happened to have CAREER sales numbers, it was suddenly YOUR talent that must have flatered. We couldn't possibly attribute it to another person's stellar performance for that one time.

I can't believe we are still talking about this. Cipher it any way you want, those of you that think he is average. Say it how you want, think it how you want, and we will come back next year with another top TE finish from finley and you can tell us all again how this guys is average. Average like Joe mays or Bradie James. You know; he's just another guy.

First of all, LMAO seeing the GB offense as a negative for Finley. I'm pretty sure Rodgers and/or the coaching staff are distributing targets based on who gets open and makes plays. Finley's efficiency per target is nowhere near the level of the other options in GB, so they get more looks. His yards/target, catch rate, raw numbers, and everything else pale in comparison to the top NFL TEs. He's just not elite by anything measurable, period.Second, Graham, Gronk, and Vernon Davis are the current elite physical talents at TE.Graham: 6'7" - 260 - 4.53 - 38.5" verticalGronk: 6'6" - 265 - 4.68 - 33.5"Davis: 6'3" - 254 - 4.38 - 42" + 33 bench repsFinley: 6'5" - 250 - 4.82 - 27.5"People have been throwing the "elite talent," and "physical freak" labels at Finley for a few years now. It's just not true.
Sweet...lets pull up some combine stats for Jerry Rice...Tom Brady.You keep holding on to combine stats...Watch him on the field.Seriously...watch him move with and without the ball.Then really try to think about calling him just average.

Mostly he and Jennings.

3 years ago
So you think his talent has dropped off that much in that time?

Mostly he and Jennings.

3 years ago
Come on man. Obviously the old green and gold goggling homer one game eyeball test outweighs every measurable number by which we can judge football ability. :lol:
Its not a homer call to show what the guy can do on the field...rather than just looking at combine stats as your argument.

Mostly he and Jennings.

3 years ago
Doesn't stop people form talking up chris Johnson. Wait. i know what comes next...CJ is a top 10 back every year at the end of the year. Well, Finley is a top 10 TE each year (of course was hurt 2 seasons ago so not that year).

In all seriousness; What's REALLY the point people are trying to make when they rip on Finley? What do people possibly gain from saying a guy is average or nothing special or "if he was here and that guy was there, then it would be like this"?

In the end, in the game of FF, he's a top 10 player that plays consistently week to week. In real life, if you watch the guy, you have to be blind or in denial to not notice his physical abilities. What's the point in clamoring something only to be proven wrong every year by the actual facts?

The real heartburn people have with finley (those that do) is that they act like a jilted lover. They just can't seem to accept that he didn't meet their lofty expectations. for some reason being a gifted top 10 athlete isn't good enough. He gets punished for not being Gronk.

Its a silly discussion all the way around. if you took the time to go down on a field and watch every TE in the league play on a Sunday, there is no way you would come back from that saying that Finley is average or isn't big or isn't fast, isn't talented, etc. People are just caught up in a FF scoring title and to them points at any given time=abiltiy. If Gronk was in Jacksonville, I guaratnee people wouldn't be calling him so talented. Instead of referring to his attributes as why he is so great, they would be referring to them as why he's too "this" or that" and why it doesn't fit...not based on attributes but based on the fact they couldn't start him with confidence in a fantasy lineup.

Some people around here act like everything happens in a vaccuum and life doesn't happen. There are NO contributing factors to anything. There are no ebbs and flows in a player's everyday life. If a guy drops 5 more passes than he did last year, he's obviously a loser now. ok. I guess nobody in here, in their glorious careers, has ever missed their sales quota for a quarter or lost a few cases in their trials or reviewed a fiscal year where the bottom line didn't meet objectives. You could have been CEO of the year for five consecutive years but the one year you did your usual productive job and a couple of guys happened to have CAREER sales numbers, it was suddenly YOUR talent that must have flatered. We couldn't possibly attribute it to another person's stellar performance for that one time.

I can't believe we are still talking about this. Cipher it any way you want, those of you that think he is average. Say it how you want, think it how you want, and we will come back next year with another top TE finish from finley and you can tell us all again how this guys is average. Average like Joe mays or Bradie James. You know; he's just another guy.
So criticize the CJ discussion but expand on the Finley discussion using the same logic - or half of the same logic as the closest Finley has come to a CJ type season was last year.Ive been pumped on Finley, im aware of what he can do, but ive also seen what he can do. The Packers have a highpower offense sure, but he was healthy last year and caught as many balls as he did 2 years previously. The difference being he had 130% of the targets he had 2 years prior. Ill pass this year.

Users who are viewing this thread