What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jared Allen (1 Viewer)

Should he be fined or suspended?

• Nothing should be done

Votes: 15 25.4%
  • He should be fined

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • He should be fined and suspended

Votes: 23 39.0%

• Total voters

DoubleG

Footballguy
Watch the GIF

He clearly launches and seems to seek the head. Louis is now out for the season. IMHO, Jared Allen should be suspended for a clear and obvious deliberate attempt to injure another player.

ETA: Mike Pereira stated that it was an illegal blind-side block on Fox.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what can happen with cheap shots. I hope you feel good about yourself, guy. May have ruined another player's career.

Same as Golden Tate vs. Sean Lee

Same old head on a swivel comments will apply. Louis shouldn't allow himself to be defenseless.

Allen should go lower, no doubt.

'treat88 said:
Same as Golden Tate vs. Sean LeeSame old head on a swivel comments will apply. Louis shouldn't allow himself to be defenseless.Allen should go lower, no doubt.
Ummm...Golden Tate = 5' 10" - 200 lbs. Jared Allen = 6' 6" - 270 lbs. Slight difference. I get what you're saying about head on a swivel - but there's a difference between a legal but unexpected block and launching at an opponents head.

The launching alone will result in Allen drawing a punishment in line with what D. robinson did a couple of seasons ago.

Allen's quote says "That's unfortunate." Yeah, he's right. Its unfortunate for him that the player got hurt because it now clearly draws attention to the fact that he didn't just hold up a bloack while the player ran by; he launched himself up and at the head. Consequences for this one.

'treat88 said:
Same as Golden Tate vs. Sean LeeSame old head on a swivel comments will apply. Louis shouldn't allow himself to be defenseless.Allen should go lower, no doubt.
Ummm...Golden Tate = 5' 10" - 200 lbs. Jared Allen = 6' 6" - 270 lbs. Slight difference. I get what you're saying about head on a swivel - but there's a difference between a legal but unexpected block and launching at an opponents head.
Yeah size difference certainly applies. Not making that comparison at all.Just saying that hit sets the precedent for the consequence.And I agree Allen should have gone lower.

Legal hit. No fine. No suspension.
Mike Periera disagrees.
Periera is wrong more often than not.According to the NFL rulebook it was a legal hit. Even if it was ruled a blindside hit and Louis was afforded defenseless player status Allen's block was still legal. Leaving your feet is completely legal unless you target the head/neck, which he didn't. It was shoulder to shoulder, viscious, and legal. That being said I wouldn't be shocked if the NFL fines him, even though they shouldn't.

For the record I'm a Bears homer. Tough that Louis is out, but that's part of the game. He should not have put himself in that position.

The hit was high and he will definitely get a fine.

I have to wonder if the hit was lower whether Louis would have still blown out his ACL.

Mike Periera disagrees.
Periera is wrong more often than not.According to the NFL rulebook it was a legal hit. Even if it was ruled a blindside hit and Louis was afforded defenseless player status Allen's block was still legal. Leaving your feet is completely legal unless you target the head/neck, which he didn't.
Ummm...no. Try again:Rule 12, Section 7 (b3) reads in the 2012 NFL rule book:

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is: Illegally launching into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (1) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (2) uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline” parts) to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body. Note: The provisions of (2) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or helmet in the course of a conventional tackle or block on an opponent.

Mike Periera disagrees.
Periera is wrong more often than not.According to the NFL rulebook it was a legal hit. Even if it was ruled a blindside hit and Louis was afforded defenseless player status Allen's block was still legal. Leaving your feet is completely legal unless you target the head/neck, which he didn't.
Ummm...no. Try again:Rule 12, Section 7 (b3) reads in the 2012 NFL rule book:

Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is: Illegally launching into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (1) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, AND (2) uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/"hairline" parts) to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent's body. Note: The provisions of (2) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or helmet in the course of a conventional tackle or block on an opponent.
Sorry, you are wrong. I've highlighted the part you've missed. To be illegal he has to (1) launch AND (2) use any part of his helmet. Jared Allen did not use his helmet nor did he target the helmet/neck of the opponent. Launching without using the helmet is legal according to the NFL rules.

'treat88 said:

Same old head on a swivel comments will apply. Louis shouldn't allow himself to be defenseless.

Not even close. Allen launched himself off his feet and went way high up to hit the head. Tate's borderline, this was as bad as Merriweathers.

Mike Periera disagrees.
Periera is wrong more often than not.According to the NFL rulebook it was a legal hit. Even if it was ruled a blindside hit and Louis was afforded defenseless player status Allen's block was still legal. Leaving your feet is completely legal unless you target the head/neck, which he didn't. It was shoulder to shoulder, viscious, and legal. That being said I wouldn't be shocked if the NFL fines him, even though they shouldn't.

For the record I'm a Bears homer. Tough that Louis is out, but that's part of the game. He should not have put himself in that position.
It wasn't shoulder to shoulder. Allen got him right in the facemask while launching himself. One of the clearest examples of actually targeting the head of any of the HtH hits the last few eyars.

Mike Periera disagrees.

I do not understand how you can watch that and not think the hit was to the head/neck area.

'treat88 said:

Not even close. Allen launched himself off his feet and went way high up to hit the head. Tate's borderline, this was as bad as Merriweathers.
You are both wrong.Tate launched and led with the helmet. Illegal.

Tate's contact rode up into Lee's neck/helmet area. Illegal.

Allen launched and led with the shoulder pad. Legal.

Allen's contact never went to Louis' helmet/neck. Legal.

I do agree about Louis' duty to make sure he's not defenseless. He allowed it to happen to himself.

'treat88 said:

I do agree about Louis' duty to make sure he's not defenseless. He allowed it to happen to himself.
:lmao:

Here's the gif.

Those of you who say Allen targeted and hit Louis' helmet I don't know what to say. If so, then the hit is illegal. IMO the impact is shoulder to shoulder only, I don't see evidence of Louis' helmet getting hit. I see Louis' shoulder snap back at impact but not the helmet. I guess it's a judgement call and we will have to disagree.

Here's the gif.

Those of you who say Allen targeted and hit Louis' helmet I don't know what to say. If so, then the hit is illegal. IMO the impact is shoulder to shoulder only, I don't see evidence of Louis' helmet getting hit. I see Louis' shoulder snap back at impact but not the helmet. I guess it's a judgement call and we will have to disagree.
It is not the helmet that matters, it is the head/neck area. Clearly Allen launched and delivered a hit to the head neck area. I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.

'treat88 said:

Here, listen from about 1:00 on...Pereira's Explains WHY it's illegal

Even if we agree with what you said (Allen launches with his shoulder not his helmet) Mike P. explains that it is still an illegal blindside block.

Here's the gif.

It is not the helmet that matters, it is the head/neck area. Clearly Allen launched and delivered a hit to the head neck area. I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.
Yes, I meant helmet/neck area as they are considered off limits. I don't agree that he hit the neck area. It looks like purely shoulder to me. But as I mentioned we will have to disagree on this aspect.

:shrug:

I don't see a hit to the head/neck area, and I don't see a blind-side hit. Allen leveled him at the shoulder and hit the front of him - not Allens fault the guy was not looking in front of him, or did not see the hit coming. Allen was between the lineman, and where the ball carrier was coming - so it was directly related to the play, not some behind the play hit.

Here's the gif.

Yes, I meant helmet/neck area as they are considered off limits. I don't agree that he hit the neck area. It looks like purely shoulder to me. But as I mentioned we will have to disagree on this aspect.
It's absurd to say that it even looks like shoulder to shoulder, much less that it's "purely" shoulder to shoulder. Allen's R upper arm hits Louis in the R shoulder pad and the plate of Allen's pad goes square to the bottom of the facemask. It's unequivocally a leap to hit the head. No other reason a guy Allen's size needs to go high than to hit the head.

I don't see a hit to the head/neck area, and I don't see a blind-side hit. Allen leveled him at the shoulder and hit the front of him - not Allens fault the guy was not looking in front of him, or did not see the hit coming. Allen was between the lineman, and where the ball carrier was coming - so it was directly related to the play, not some behind the play hit.
I linked to the video where Pereira explains why the hit was illegal.Here is the section in the rules Mike P. is referring to:

3. "Blindside" Block. It is an illegal "blindside" block if the initial force of the contact by a blocker's helmet (including facemask), forearm, or shoulder is to the head or neck area of an opponent when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and approaches his opponent from behind or from the side.

I think it's fairly clear that Allen's shoulder comes right up into Louis' neck/chin area. If some of you refuse to see that, I can't help you. :shrug:

'treat88 said:

You didn't read the full thread did you?

The comparison was made only for precedent's sake in terms of measuring the league's response.

I don't think this was Merriweather like but it was relatively blatant.

I think it's fairly clear that Allen's shoulder comes right up into Louis' neck/chin area. If some of you refuse to see that, I can't help you.
It's absurd to say that it even looks like shoulder to shoulder, much less that it's "purely" shoulder to shoulder. Allen's R upper arm hits Louis in the R shoulder pad and the plate of Allen's pad goes square to the bottom of the facemask. It's unequivocally a leap to hit the head.
Wow, it's like we are not watching the same thing. I don't see either player's helmets snap from impact and Louis' shoulder pad is on the side of Allen's helmet, which means Allen's shoulder pad can't be making contact with Louis' helmet either. Anyway we will have to disagree.

I linked to the video where Pereira explains why the hit was illegal.Here is the section in the rules Mike P. is referring to:

3. "Blindside" Block. It is an illegal "blindside" block if the initial force of the contact by a blocker's helmet (including facemask), forearm, or shoulder is to the head or neck area of an opponent when the blocker is moving toward his own endline and approaches his opponent from behind or from the side.

I think it's fairly clear that Allen's shoulder comes right up into Louis' neck/chin area. If some of you refuse to see that, I can't help you. :shrug:
Allen was not moving towards his own end line - he was moving towards the lineman - from the opposite direction, and hit him in the front. To the extent that the shoulder is adjacent to the neck, then it was close - but it was not a block to the neck/head imoNFL is all about player safety - and I won't be shocked to see a fine for this - but I don't see it as egregious or a cheap shot. It was clearly part of the play in blocking players in the direct path of the interceptor.

I think it's fairly clear that Allen's shoulder comes right up into Louis' neck/chin area. If some of you refuse to see that, I can't help you.
It's absurd to say that it even looks like shoulder to shoulder, much less that it's "purely" shoulder to shoulder. Allen's R upper arm hits Louis in the R shoulder pad and the plate of Allen's pad goes square to the bottom of the facemask. It's unequivocally a leap to hit the head.
Wow, it's like we are not watching the same thing. I don't see either player's helmets snap from impact and Louis' shoulder pad is on the side of Allen's helmet, which means Allen's shoulder pad can't be making contact with Louis' helmet either. Anyway we will have to disagree.
The league does seem to define the shoulder and upper chest as the head/neck area when it comes to the defenseless player rule.Basically once the player is defined as defenseless it seems they can't be hit above the numbers from any angle.I'm not arguing the definition of the rule, just commenting on how it is implemented.

No question Allen launches himself, the replay is hard to see exactly where he hits him, but is definitely up high, shoulder/neck/under the chin area. I haven't heard a lot about Allen being dirty over the years, but this will definitely get him a fine and hopefully a suspension.

'treat88 said:

The comparison was made only for precedent's sake in terms of measuring the league's response.

All two posts? I read to your post and responded to it. You were the third post in it. What other context do I need other than what you yourself had access to when you wrote yours?

:lmao: I'd bold the part I find funny, but the whole thing is. Why would Allen's helmet snap back from hitting a player in the helmet with his shoulder pad?

No question Allen launches himself, the replay is hard to see exactly where he hits him, but is definitely up high, shoulder/neck/under the chin area. I haven't heard a lot about Allen being dirty over the years, but this will definitely get him a fine and hopefully a suspension.
Always been a pretty classy guy as far as I've known.

'treat88 said:

All two posts? I read to your post and responded to it. You were the third post in it. What other context do I need other than what you yourself had access to when you wrote yours?
Just the next post which clarified what I meant with the comp.No biggie. Just wanted to be clear that I wasn't comparing the mechanics of the hits.

Sorry but are you using an outdate rule book?http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2012%20-%20Rule%20Book.pdf

PAGE 67

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 7

The actual rule is:

A player who receives a “blindside” block when the blocker is moving toward or parallel to his own end line and approaches the opponent from behind or from the side

Not when the players head is turned but actually from the side, like 90 degrees from the direction his body is moving. He was for sure moving TOWARDS Allen.

Now just because it wasn't Illegal doesn't mean he still shouldn't be fined and possibly sit out a game. There is no rule to say what he did was illegal though.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000100395/Lance-Louis-injured-on-Jared-Allen-block

Watch at about 54 seconds and you will notice the Bears Player is moving DIRECTLY towards Allen

Also note in order to have to even worry about the so called launching into the players shoulder you first have to deem the Chicago player "defenseless" and even though he had his head turned he was not defenseless

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 7 Part A - Deems who is defenseless

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 7 Part B - Says actions that are not allowed

:lmao: I'd bold the part I find funny, but the whole thing is. Why would Allen's helmet snap back from hitting a player in the helmet with his shoulder pad?
My point was that neither players helmet snaps back due to any impact. If there is no contact with Allen's helmet (which you just admitted there is not) then the only way the hit can be illegal is if Allen hit Louis in the helmet/neck area. Louis' helmet never snaps back so your theory of Allen's shoulderpad going square to the facemask is pretty thin. Plus the way they are lined up Allen's shoulder pads would have to be about a foot wider than Louis' in order to catch helmet. Too bad there isn't a better view so we could get a definitive look.

My point was that neither players helmet snaps back due to any impact. If there is no contact with Allen's helmet (which you just admitted there is not) then the only way the hit can be illegal is if Allen hit Louis in the helmet/neck area. Louis' helmet never snaps back so your theory of Allen's shoulderpad going square to the facemask is pretty thin. Plus the way they are lined up Allen's shoulder pads would have to be about a foot wider than Louis' in order to catch helmet. Too bad there isn't a better view so we could get a definitive look.
:lmao: @ evertyhing except the last sentence.Seriously, why would Allen's helmet snap back when he hits someone else with his shoulder pad? Smoking Gun!

Your mastery of using the :lmao: while avoiding actual debate is reaching Christo status.

Users who are viewing this thread