What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

James Jones back with Packers (1 Viewer)

Some dude spent 80% of his free agent dollars on him this week in a league Im in ..... crazy.
Not necessarily crazy, it depends on your league depth.

In a 12 team, 25 spots I just spent 65% of my budget on him...and I am not even that big of a believer. But how much I spent is dependent on who else I expect to be available. In this case the best players on the wire now are Nate Washington and Travis Benjamin.

Adams had 8 targets last week to lead the team, Jones had 4.
Jones had 6 targets. Four of them in the endzone, three of which were caught, including one unreal grab behind the defenders head.
I think he had 4 receptions on 4 target.
There were two others. One a TD to Jones that was called back due to an immaterial holding call. Another a PI call to Jones in the endzone on a deep ball. 6 targets. 4 in the endzone. 3 TDs.

Look, I'm not saying that JJ is for sure going to supplant Adams as ARod's #2. I'm just saying it's premature to give Adams that crown. This situation is fluid and right now it's JJ, not Adams with the hot start.
You are correct. Those throws did happen. They don't count in the official stat line because of the penalties.

I'm not trying to diss James Jones here. I'm a Packer fan, and as I said earlier, I'm thrilled that he's back. I've watched nearly every play of this guys GB career though, and I don't think I'm going to be proven wrong on this one.

There's gonna be probably three games this year where he's heavily targeted and puts up WR1/2 numbers. Those games will be followed by three or four games of 3/45/0 like stat lines. I have a couple shares of Richard Rodgers, and I expect pretty much the same out of him.

I expect much greater consistency out of Cobb and Adams. Cobb has shown it, and ALL the local beat guys have been pounding the table on how good Adams has looked in training camp and OTAs this offseason.

Adams had 8 targets last week to lead the team, Jones had 4.
Jones had 6 targets. Four of them in the endzone, three of which were caught, including one unreal grab behind the defenders head.
I think he had 4 receptions on 4 target.
There were two others. One a TD to Jones that was called back due to an immaterial holding call. Another a PI call to Jones in the endzone on a deep ball. 6 targets. 4 in the endzone. 3 TDs.

Look, I'm not saying that JJ is for sure going to supplant Adams as ARod's #2. I'm just saying it's premature to give Adams that crown. This situation is fluid and right now it's JJ, not Adams with the hot start.
Yeah I didn't see the game, so I was just reading the stat line. The 2 unofficial targets are good to know about.

I agree he will be boom / bust if Adams lives up to expectations.

But the fact that Jones walks in off the street and immediately gets so much volume is a warning flag to me. How is that possible? That same dude got cut by two teams in 6 months and looked done. Most here rightfully expected Adams to run away with the opportunity...and yet here we are. So I wonder if the Packers aren't seeing Jones as a filler for most of the Jordy role, while Adams keeps his old job.

Zdravko said:

But the fact that Jones walks in off the street and immediately gets so much volume is a warning flag to me. How is that possible? That same dude got cut by two teams in 6 months and looked done. Most here rightfully expected Adams to run away with the opportunity...and yet here we are. So I wonder if the Packers aren't seeing Jones as a filler for most of the Jordy role, while Adams keeps his old job.
Take your eyes off the TDs. Look at the targets. Even counting the two penalty plays for Jones, Adams out targeted him 8-6. Adams got open too. Jones was blanketed on nearly every throw. The TD/redzone thing is going to even out long run, and probably will actually go in Adams favor. He has a vertical aspect to his game that Nelson/Cobb/Jones can't match. I think the back shoulder stuff that went to Nelson last year is going to go to Adams. The difference being it will be a pass coming in at 9'+ high over the corner. That is taking advantage of Adams' strengths.

Zdravko said:

Take your eyes off the TDs. Look at the targets. Even counting the two penalty plays for Jones, Adams out targeted him 8-6. Adams got open too. Jones was blanketed on nearly every throw. The TD/redzone thing is going to even out long run, and probably will actually go in Adams favor. He has a vertical aspect to his game that Nelson/Cobb/Jones can't match. I think the back shoulder stuff that went to Nelson last year is going to go to Adams. The difference being it will be a pass coming in at 9'+ high over the corner. That is taking advantage of Adams' strengths.
You can't be serious

Zdravko said:

You sound like an enthusiastic Adams owner and you might surely end up correct on all the above statements, although if Week 1 is any indication - that seems unlikely. (Side note - what evidence do we have that Adams is good at the back shoulder stuff? Other than "he is tall"?)

But I just re-watched the game in the Condensed view and I can tell you by looking at Rodgers that Adams started as clearly his #2 guy, while Jones was mostly an afterthought for the entire first quarter. Then gradually Rodgers' focus shifted and by the end of Q3 Jones looked like the top-2 read on most throws. It was also obvious by the attempted throws that Rodgers trusts Jones in a way Adams has not earned yet.

This all could be a random weekly artifact, it could be a function of defensive adjustments, it could be a lot of things, but for me it was clear that the pecking order at least for this game had turned around from the initial plan. We'll see if it lasts into Week 2. Surely, a 100% healthy Cobb will syphon work from both, so maybe they end up killing each others' upside in the long run, but - either way - I would be cautious to anoint Adams as a WR2 just yet.

I think any post here should end with an ownership disclaimer. I have zero shares of Adams and just acquired my first share of Jones.

Now we're crowning adams over Jordy in the vertical aspect..
Zdravko said:

You can't be serious
Now we're crowning adams over Jordy in the vertical aspect..
Davante Adams 39.5" Vertical Jump at combine.

Jordy Nelson 31" Vertical jump at combine.

Randall Cobb 33" Vertical jump at combine.

James Jones 34" Vertical jump at combine.

I think you guys completely missed the point. Adams can sky over a defender in a way the others can't. That should make him an attractive red zone target. Its also a place to complete a pass when Adams is otherwise covered. I don't think we are going to see nearly as many back shoulder attempts this year. Jordy is great at those, and its one of the best parts of his game. Rather than trying to force Adams into doing what Jordy is best at, I think they'll use Adams for what he's best at.

Kitrick, I guess it's the different use of "vertical." A lot of times vertical is used as stretching the field. That's how I read you're remark and why I thought it was crazy.

The Dude said:
Kitrick, I guess it's the different use of "vertical." A lot of times vertical is used as stretching the field. That's how I read you're remark and why I thought it was crazy.
This is also how I viewed it. However with clarification I see your point now.

Adams will get some targets, but both seem volume-or-TD-dependent WR3s. The continuous mixing up of Richard Rodgers further dilutes the value.

Adams will get some targets, but both seem volume-or-TD-dependent WR3s. The continuous mixing up of Richard Rodgers further dilutes the value.
I'm just not buying into this thinking. Reality is that James Jones struggles to get open. He's got Rodgers trust, and that means something. Its fantasy relevance. However, he's got a total of 7 targets on the season. So does Richard Rodgers. Cobb and Adams are both playing hurt and they have 16 and 13 targets respectively. Adams even missed a decent sized chunk of week 2 and was targeted far less when he returned. Assuming Adams ankle is going to be okay, he's going to be a FF WR2 this year. His big days are coming. Cobb is playing his way through that shoulder. He's got a lot of big days ahead too.

Bob McGinn, one of the best football writers in the business, just compared James Jones to Muhammed Ali vs Foreman in Zaire. He's basically a rope a dope guy now. He can get open occasionally by using some craftiness, but he just doesn't have the requisite quickness or speed anymore. He might score double digit TDs this year, but I don't think he's going to eclipse 750 yards. What he's done is take the top off the upside of Adams, Cobb and Rodgers by lowering their TDs by probably 2-4 each.

If you're heavy at WR what do you think you could get in return for him?

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember when people thought James jones was done and was signed to the packers as depth behind these young up and coming Wrs? Yeah that was funny wasn't it?

Anyone who was thinking about trading James Jones should do it now. After that performance on a nationally televised game his value will likely never again be as high as it is right now. I'll probably just hang on and hope the party continues. You can never have too much depth.

Anyone who was thinking about trading James Jones should do it now. After that performance on a nationally televised game his value will likely never again be as high as it is right now. I'll probably just hang on and hope the party continues. You can never have too much depth.
Why sell? Rodgers looks like the best QB in the league as usual, Adams is hurt again and never established himself, they've got no TE worth mentioning, none of the other Packers WR's are stepping up...don't see why it wouldn't continue.Edit: obviously in dynasty this could be a great sell-high window if you're a rebuild who scooped him out of FA for nothing.

Why sell? Rodgers looks like the best QB in the league as usual, Adams is hurt again and never established himself, they've got no TE worth mentioning, none of the other Packers WR's are stepping up...don't see why it wouldn't continue.Edit: obviously in dynasty this could be a great sell-high window if you're a rebuild who scooped him out of FA for nothing.
If you could get some help at a position of weakness, and would still be strong at WR after trading him away then it's something to consider. Right now he's just riding my bench which seems a waste. But like I said earlier, I do love me a deep bench. Makes for a great advantage once the bye weeks hit.

The cumulative scores haven't updated in my leagues yet but it's looking like JJ is within the top 20 WRs in both PPR and Standard scoring. Like I said before, I think he will end up being one of the most useful WW pickups this season. I know I have been starting him in every league where I have him, and it has been working out well.

The cumulative scores haven't updated in my leagues yet but it's looking like JJ is within the top 20 WRs in both PPR and Standard scoring. Like I said before, I think he will end up being one of the most useful WW pickups this season. I know I have been starting him in every league where I have him, and it has been working out well.
He's been huge as a Dez fill in and I'm sure for others.

If you could get some help at a position of weakness, and would still be strong at WR after trading him away then it's something to consider. Right now he's just riding my bench which seems a waste. But like I said earlier, I do love me a deep bench. Makes for a great advantage once the bye weeks hit.
As a Big Ben and James Jones owner, I will likely try to trade him off to a replacement QB....around the Eli Manning, Rivers type of players.

I regret to inform the Devante owners - again - that James Jones is here to run their guy's FF value into the ground. :)

Funny to see those giants of WR evaluations, the NY Giants, trying out Hakeem Nicks a month after cutting James Jones.

So...would you drop Forsett to pickup Jones on the WW....or would that be considered a knee-jerk reaction to Forsett's lackluster performance and the ongoing woes of the Baltimore offense over the first three weeks?

So...would you drop Forsett to pickup Jones on the WW....or would that be considered a knee-jerk reaction to Forsett's lackluster performance and the ongoing woes of the Baltimore offense over the first three weeks?
Surely you have a lesser player on your roster that you could drop.

Quasimoto said:
Peak said:
Surely you have a lesser player on your roster that you could drop.
I have a very short bench (3 spots). Currently carrying D.Lewis, L.Fitz, T.Gurley. Starters are OBJ, Edleman, Forsett, Hyde. Out of this list, Forsett is the one I'm most disgruntled with right now and I need to counteract my lackluster RB performance with a good WR - especially during Byes.

ETA: Oh...and please don't call me Shirley. TIA!

Users who are viewing this thread