What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

James Davis signed by Lions, time for Best owners to question injury? (1 Viewer)

dontknowaboutme

Footballguy
Traded for Ronnie Brown and now have signed James Davis to practice squad, not looking good for the short term.

Side note, I have always liked Davis as a back but he has never gotten much of a chance with a team and likely won't here either.

Thoughts?

This thread scared me when I looked at the title, but a practice squad signing doesn't change things anymore than the Brown signing did.

I am still worried about Best, but this certainly doesn't add to the worry.

Of all things, I'm more surprised that James Davis wasn't on an NFL roster. I would think that he could contribute for a number of teams...but maybe he isn't a good special teams player.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread scared me when I looked at the title, but a practice squad signing doesn't change things anymore than the Brown signing did.I am still worried about Best, but this certainly doesn't add to the worry.
I know, Best has been good for my teams in my two ppr leagues.

Has any news been published about Best's concussion tests? When do the tests normally happen?
That is what is fueling the speculation. No news other than Best sitting out practice and the Lions picking up two new backs, although as was said, Davis is only practice squad.

I think that at this point nobody knows the status of Best. It seems apparent to me that the Lions are making moves that they feel will help the team whether Best plays or not. Ronnie Brown gives them a short yardage option and a player to spell Best for a series or two during the game. If Best misses time then they are covered there too. Everything else is speculation and coach speak.

this makes sense even if best is ok to go, as they should prepare in the case that best gets another concussion. one more and hes prob not coming back

didn't Davis just walk out on his last team (WAS?)? If so, he must be a really good prospect to land another practice squad shot. I think the last time he was good was back at Clemson where he held off Spiller?

I'm drunk, so I might have my facts mixed up.

This thread scared me when I looked at the title, but a practice squad signing doesn't change things anymore than the Brown signing did.I am still worried about Best, but this certainly doesn't add to the worry.Of all things, I'm more surprised that James Davis wasn't on an NFL roster. I would think that he could contribute for a number of teams...but maybe he isn't a good special teams player.
He basically walked out of Redskins training camp and went MIA with no explanation. Shanahan was pissed as hell. You get blackballed for that #### in the NFL, if you can't act like a professional.

didn't Davis just walk out on his last team (WAS?)? If so, he must be a really good prospect to land another practice squad shot. I think the last time he was good was back at Clemson where he held off Spiller?I'm drunk, so I might have my facts mixed up.
Pretty early on a Wednesday to be drunk hahaha.

so is Ronnie Brown the one to have in case Best is out ??
This needs some clarification as its all speculation right now. There really isn't much reason to think that Ronnie wouldn't start over Morris, other than Morris being more familiar with the protection packages. The Lions run a lot of plays out of the shotgun but I don't know if that increases the importance of having a back that knows the packages or not. Given Stafford's injury history, and that neither back is expected to "light it up" if Best is out, makes me lean toward thinking that Morris might see more snaps. However, that's not to say the RB won't see more carries :confused:Very muddled situation right now.

This thread scared me when I looked at the title, but a practice squad signing doesn't change things anymore than the Brown signing did.I am still worried about Best, but this certainly doesn't add to the worry.Of all things, I'm more surprised that James Davis wasn't on an NFL roster. I would think that he could contribute for a number of teams...but maybe he isn't a good special teams player.
He basically walked out of Redskins training camp and went MIA with no explanation. Shanahan was pissed as hell. You get blackballed for that #### in the NFL, if you can't act like a professional.
I think he was pissed that they brought in and then he was working behind Hightower, Helu, and Royster in addition to Keiland Williams & Torain (who were already on the roster). I think he saw that 6th string RB's don't usually make the team

Hopefully they realize that Bust is just a 3rd down back and they are looking to get a back that can play downs 1&2.

Hopefully they realize that Bust is just a 3rd down back and they are looking to get a back that can play downs 1&2.
This post makes no sense whatsoever. The dude is #8 in PPR and could have been drafted in the 4th / 5th round. Insane value even if he misses a game or two.R.Brown will be mostly vulturing Stafford's TD passes and Jason Hanson's field goals, not Best's runs so even this signing doesn't impact him hugely.

This post makes no sense whatsoever. The dude is #8 in PPR and could have been drafted in the 4th / 5th round. Insane value even if he misses a game or two.R.Brown will be mostly vulturing Stafford's TD passes and Jason Hanson's field goals, not Best's runs so even this signing doesn't impact him hugely.
Ronnie "FG Vulture" Brown

so is Ronnie Brown the one to have in case Best is out ??
This needs some clarification as its all speculation right now. There really isn't much reason to think that Ronnie wouldn't start over Morris, other than Morris being more familiar with the protection packages. The Lions run a lot of plays out of the shotgun but I don't know if that increases the importance of having a back that knows the packages or not. Given Stafford's injury history, and that neither back is expected to "light it up" if Best is out, makes me lean toward thinking that Morris might see more snaps. However, that's not to say the RB won't see more carries :confused:

Very muddled situation right now.
Pretty sure you just muddled things more with your post. :)

Nothing worse than watching your placekicker put the team on his back and drive the length of the field, only to see some backup RB come in off the bench and put it through the uprights!! :hot:

Oh man.. does the James Davis bandwagon still start? I see it out back on the scrap heap..looks like it needs a new engine and transmission.

Nothing worse than watching your placekicker put the team on his back and drive the length of the field, only to see some backup RB come in off the bench and put it through the uprights!! :hot:
For the simple minded among us, Jason Hanson has 6 FG's from 20-29 yds. A higher percentage of those possessions should be converted into TD's with Brown. Best wasn't converting GL looks anyway so his stats shouldn't be affected too much by R.Brown's acquisition.

For the simple minded among us, Jason Hanson has 6 FG's from 20-29 yds. A higher percentage of those possessions should be converted into TD's with Brown. Best wasn't converting GL looks anyway so his stats shouldn't be affected too much by R.Brown's acquisition.
Well, Ronnie Brown has 0 career FGs of 20-29 yards AND 0 career TDs of 20-29 yards. I predict he vultures 0 20-29 yard FGs going forward.

Tanks for dumming tings down fer us cuz now i tink i uderstand stuf buttter.

The pure awesomeness that is Ronnie Brown converted exactly zero TD's in Philly (has a whopping 38 yards on the year) and was overtaken by a much smaller, rookie, RB that had no training camp with which to get up to speed. If Brown does anything of note, it will be with Best sidelined due to concussions and Brown simply one of a few barely viable options. I for one don't see him converting too many more of those potential 5-15 yard Red Zone touchdown runs (in lieu of Hanson's 20-29 yard FG's) unless Detroit's run blocking is light years better than Philly's...and I don't think it is.

and Hanson will probably also hit more 40+ yard FGs now because the DET running game wont be as good and they wont sustain as many drives

Well with Harrison's undisclosed "health problems" (see: Rotoworld) I wonder how what his chances are of remaining with the Lions. Could promote James Davis up from practice squad? Start up the deep sleeper bandwagon!

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Filed to ESPN: The Ronnie Brown-to-Detroit was voided because RB Jerome Harrison had health issues. Brown still an Eagle, Harrison a Lion. per twitter.

I was talking about the best not being an NFL RB for tge lions. I was not talking about the player on your little fantasy team that I could care less about.

Well, Ronnie Brown has 0 career FGs of 20-29 yards AND 0 career TDs of 20-29 yards. I predict he vultures 0 20-29 yard FGs going forward.
Dude... I think he is saying now that Schwartz would have run a bunch of fake FGs with Brown getting the ball. Pretty obvious imo FAKE FIELD GOAL VULTURE

Dude... I think he is saying now that Schwartz would have run a bunch of fake FGs with Brown getting the ball. Pretty obvious imo FAKE FIELD GOAL VULTURE
:lmao:

I find it funny you put me on alert because I ask a trade question on how much people value Ingram, and you quote Joe's pinned thread on the shark pool and get the mods on me, yet I click on this thread for an update and get nothing worthwhile. Youre a joke and a hypocrite, and thats coming from someone who makes plenty of posts in jests like this.

I find it funny you put me on alert because I ask a trade question on how much people value Ingram, and you quote Joe's pinned thread on the shark pool and get the mods on me, yet I click on this thread for an update and get nothing worthwhile. Youre a joke and a hypocrite, and thats coming from someone who makes plenty of posts in jests like this.
#2. Keep the personal attacks way down. I understand it's football and you're passionate. I am too. But I'm seeing the tool factor going way up in some of these posts and we can't have it. Disagree, argue, debate, support, critique whatever. But if you can't keep from calling the other guy a dumb###, you won't be posting here. This is the time of year when I have 10,000 urgent things to do every day. So please don't push this.Bottom line - 1. Keep this focused on NFL News and Player Discussion and General Strategy topics. 2. Understand most people in the Shark Pool don't care about your team and keep the focus on stuff that is applicable to all.3. Be Excellent to One Another.Thanks. I'm sorry to sound harsh there. It sucks playing board cop. But I place an extremely high priority on keeping the Shark Pool a great forum and on topic. And sadly, that means I have to tell some folks things they don't want to hear sometimes.You guys make this thing what it is. Thanks for that.J

#2. Keep the personal attacks way down. I understand it's football and you're passionate. I am too. But I'm seeing the tool factor going way up in some of these posts and we can't have it. Disagree, argue, debate, support, critique whatever. But if you can't keep from calling the other guy a dumb###, you won't be posting here. This is the time of year when I have 10,000 urgent things to do every day. So please don't push this.Bottom line - 1. Keep this focused on NFL News and Player Discussion and General Strategy topics. 2. Understand most people in the Shark Pool don't care about your team and keep the focus on stuff that is applicable to all.3. Be Excellent to One Another.Thanks. I'm sorry to sound harsh there. It sucks playing board cop. But I place an extremely high priority on keeping the Shark Pool a great forum and on topic. And sadly, that means I have to tell some folks things they don't want to hear sometimes.You guys make this thing what it is. Thanks for that.J
Like I saidIm just going to put you on ignore because clearly that is the best option. You're the first poster Ive ever done that too, FYI. LHucks has yet to get that treatment even. Congrats and goodbye.

Users who are viewing this thread