What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

JALEN RICHARD - RB Oakland - Run don't walk !! (1 Viewer)

Yeah I would not trade Enunwa for him.   Richard is a hold if you have him to see what happens.   He has talent and could pass Washington for the passing game work.  

If you drop him in Dynasty I think he will get picked up.

I am buying this guy. With the Lynch news he is practically free right now. He had an excellent rookie year and appears to be serious about working his rear off to perfect his craft. He just seems like one of those guys that will force coaches to give him more opportunities based on work ethic and improvement. He adds a great dimension in the passing and return game. I am buying and holding this nickel stock.

The Lynch news - assuming something happens - could easily be HUGE for Richard...   If the Raiders don't draft an RB and Lynch isn't good (seems likely - out of football for a year and now has to play in an inferior system) Richard could be looking at a lead role.

If Richard gets passing down work he will be valuable either way.

The Lynch news - assuming something happens - could easily be HUGE for Richard...   If the Raiders don't draft an RB and Lynch isn't good (seems likely - out of football for a year and now has to play in an inferior system) Richard could be looking at a lead role.

If Richard gets passing down work he will be valuable either way.
Richard seemed more dynamic and looked to be more trusted down the stretch but I can't see how this would be anything but an RBBC with Washington. Olawale seems to have a body type more suited for short yardage but he wasn't really used in that situation consistently when Murray was injured to make me think they give him more of that role, as opposed to letting Richard and Washington vie for first as out of the backfield receivers. 

If the Raiders don't land Lynch, my guess is they take a guy like D'Onta Foreman if he somehow drops, or just go late round flyer on a between the tackles guy like or Elijah Hood (NC), James Conner (PIT), or Brian Hill (WYO). 

There will be production from the Raiders running game this year, I just think that whether they land a new guy or not, it will be too distributed to really rely on fantasy-wise.

I think things went about as well as they possibly could have this offseason in terms Richard getting a shot in 2017.  They only drafted Hood, who I don't see surpassing Richard (Waldman doesn't like him either) and signed Lynch.  For PPR leagues Lynch isn't really a pass catching back, and there is a pretty good chance he won't be as good for the Raiders as he was a few years ago in the Seahawks system.

It's far from assured, but Richard is cheap, talented, and passes the eye test.  I'm still buying this.

Washington is still a threat, of course.

Don't see a major bump for Richard,  I see Lynch taking Murray's role of 50-60% snaps and majority of GL work.  Only major upside is Lynch gets hurt plus you're forgetting about Washington.   Oakland was a RBBC team last year and will not change this year...  Lynch is the only guy worth drafting...

I think things went about as well as they possibly could have this offseason in terms Richard getting a shot in 2017.  They only drafted Hood, who I don't see surpassing Richard (Waldman doesn't like him either) and signed Lynch.  For PPR leagues Lynch isn't really a pass catching back, and there is a pretty good chance he won't be as good for the Raiders as he was a few years ago in the Seahawks system.

1. It's far from assured, but Richard is cheap, talented, and passes the eye test.  I'm still buying this.

2. Washington is still a threat, of course.

Don't see a major bump for Richard,  I see Lynch taking Murray's role of 50-60% snaps and majority of GL work.  1. Only major upside is Lynch gets hurt      

2. plus you're forgetting about Washington.   Oakland was a RBBC team last year and will not change this year...  Lynch is the only guy worth drafting...
Read much?

It's far from assured, but Richard is cheap, talented, and passes the eye test.  I'm still buying this.

Washington is still a threat, of course.
Lynch is obviously not a long-term answer for the Raiders, and I have to believe that even if Lynch at 31 still has the skills and endurance he had a few seasons ago at 28, the Raiders are going to try to lighten his load to keep him available for a playoff run.

If "Beast Mode" has morphed into "Domestic Animal Mode", or he is unable to make it through the season, I think it is more likely we see a committee approach.  Hood's running style is different from that of Richard and Washington, and perhaps Hood finds a role in that scenario as the power back.  Last season, neither Richard nor Washington appeared ready to be feature backs, and perhaps they are better equipped to serve in a complementary role to a power back such as Lynch or Hood.

I still believe there is value to be mined from this backfield, especially in dynasty leagues, but I am not expecting a feature back to emerge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lynch did not come out of retirement to share carries in his home town. 
Not really his decision though. If his play doesn't warrant playing time, then he will likely have a timeshare. 

Furthermore, Richard is more of a receiving threat. Lynch has never been a receiving threat. So, in theory, you're right- he won't be sharing carries; he will be sharing looks/targets however as he will not be the target for the passing game.

Also, what's wrong with a potential split that we see with many other RBs out there: Lynch gets 2 series for every 1 of Richard? We see this in Buffalo at times with McCoy, Dallas, and in Tennessee. Older RBs seem to flourish when they take a rest every 3rd series

Richard is a very exciting player who is capable of big plays at any time.  I would love for him to get a chance to be more than a bit player, but I'm not sure if the Raider coaches feel that way about him.  I'll hold him for a couple more years in the one league I have him  just to see.

Jalen Richard came into the game after DeAndre Washington in the Raiders' preseason opener, rushing five times for seven yards.

Washington drew first blood in Marshawn Lynch's absence, but the duo ended up rotating series evenly. Washington was scarcely more effective than Richard, generating only 16 yards on his five carries. Richard was listed ahead of Washington on the Raiders' initial depth chart, but tonight and practice reports suggest Washington has the lead for official No. 2 status.

Related: DeAndre Washington

Aug 13 - 12:07 AM

^^^ Interesting. Based on last year and early reports, I had Richard as the lead Raiders COP, but maybe things have changed. Or perhaps, DWash played the Marshawn role last night, and Richard kept his normal role. Was surprised we didn't see any carries from Elijah Hood.

You do realize that the link even speaks to the fact that Washington was more successful in preseason, right?  There are a number of posts about this, but Washington certainly seems to be the more talented back behind Lynch.
They are actually very similar backs. Richard was better last year. He has much better lateral agility and somewhat better hands. Washington runs with more power. Richard is going to be Marshawn's COP and Washington Marshawn's backup.

Washington has a lot of talent and looked great in preseason. This situation could get fluid at some point this year.

They are actually very similar backs. Richard was better last year. He has much better lateral agility and somewhat better hands. Washington runs with more power. Richard is going to be Marshawn's COP and Washington Marshawn's backup.

Washington has a lot of talent and looked great in preseason. This situation could get fluid at some point this year.
Interesting.

I got the impression that Richard had more power than Washington because of generally better pad level. However what you are describing is the opposite of that impression. Has this changed?

It kind of seems like the narrative and roles are reversed from what I was thinking about these two last season.

Jalen Richard rushed five times for 22 yards in the Raiders' Week 1 win over the Titans, adding a six-yard reception.

Richard and DeAndre Washington both checked in on Oakland's series series, and proceeded to rotate. There was no separation, with Richard touching the ball six times to Washington's five. As was the case last year, Richard and D-Wash are stuck in a timeshare behind the Raiders' starter.

I think he is a fine desperation flex starter this week.

I just cannot see the Raiders beating up Marshawn this week.

He's sitting on my wire and I'm debating a flyer grab. But seems it will take big leads for him to be relevant and even then still battling Washington for touches...sound about right?

seems like he and washington are splitting backup work, but is richard the one to own when marshawn goes down?

I've been holding Washington waiting for the Lynch injury, but especially in ppr, maybe I should switch to Richard

Guaranteed 50:50 timeshare if something happens to Marshawn. 

But I would definitely want either piece of that timeshare on that offense.

I think I've said it already, but I think Richard is the better of the two RB by quite a bit.  If Lynch weren't such a cultural icon I think we'd be seeing a ton more of Richard.

I think I've said it already, but I think Richard is the better of the two RB by quite a bit.  If Lynch weren't such a cultural icon I think we'd be seeing a ton more of Richard.
The season is young.  Washington and Richard should get decent work as the Raiders try to limit Lynch's touches. 

Jalen's got that electricity, which is the only way to describe it. Hard to tell who gets the carries if Lynch goes down. If I had my pick between them I'd go Jalen.

Guys this isn't a Gordion knot. The Raiders have shown us exactly what they are trying to do with the running game in general and with Richard/Washington specifically.

Something happens to Marshawn this is a 50:50 timeshare. No question about it.

Guys this isn't a Gordion knot. The Raiders have shown us exactly what they are trying to do with the running game in general and with Richard/Washington specifically.

To start with I think it is.  Usually in that situation one guy out produces the other and gets a larger split. 

It does seem rather obvious after last season.

anyone else have the feeling that this is a pretty great buy low & cheap situation?

the raiders offense sure has struggled quite a bit and lynch hasn't looked too dynamic. and now with carr sidelined, i wouldn't be shocked if the team made more of an effort to get the ball to their dynamic playmakers, like richard, in the coming weeks.

i with how quiet his hype trains have been, i think he's a nice buy candidate.

anyone else have the feeling that this is a pretty great buy low & cheap situation?

the raiders offense sure has struggled quite a bit and lynch hasn't looked too dynamic. and now with carr sidelined, i wouldn't be shocked if the team made more of an effort to get the ball to their dynamic playmakers, like richard, in the coming weeks.

Not sure you can put the blame on Lynch. The highest paid offensive line in the league is getting their ### handed to them right now.

strong said:

I don't want any part of the Raider running game at the moment.  The Oline looks horrible.  With no threat of a passing game, I expect defenses to crowd the LOS and focus on stopping the run.   

Creepin' up.

Based solely on tonight's game, he seems to be separating from Washington (I own both on the same dynasty roster). It helps the cause that Marshawn got tossed for shoving a ref.

Love the natural skills; seems solid enough; seems destined for 150 touches minimum this year; 250 touches is not out of reach :beer:

Weebs210 said:
His value is capped because I still see them using Lynch as the goal line back.
Lynch coming off the bench and bumping the ref might get him suspended. So he might get his opportunity next week

Users who are viewing this thread