What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Trump Racist For Attacking Civil Rights Icon on MLK Weekend? (1 Viewer)

Dr Oadi

Footballguy
CNN panel say this is the final straw. This proves Trump is against civil rights for African Americans by tweeting.

“Congressman John Lewis should spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape and falling apart (not to…… mention crime infested) rather than falsely complaining about the election results. All talk, talk, talk – no action or results.”

Has Trump gone too far in picking on this congressman?

Probably not the best of time. But I am more concerned with when Trump is going to grow up and not let everything get to him

Not at all.  

He's racist for refusing to rent to people of color, even after caught and fined for it.  

His attack was also an attack on Atlanta. I would say his assumption that the district Lewis represents is a crime infested mess is where one might see Trump as being racist. 

CNN panel say this is the final straw. This proves Trump is against civil rights for African Americans by tweeting.

“Congressman John Lewis should spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape and falling apart (not to…… mention crime infested) rather than falsely complaining about the election results. All talk, talk, talk – no action or results.”

The attack is tone-deaf and stupid.  But it's not racist simply because it attacks Lewis.  If it's racist it's because it casts his urban, majority-black district as being "crime-infested," "in horrible shape," and "falling apart," which plays to standard GOP dog-whistle racism about blacks/inner cities.  In fact it's a huge district with a ton of socioeconomic diversity.

Im also guessing he has no idea who Lewis is or what he's done, simply because called a guy who got his head bashed in by the police during a civil rights protest  "all talk no action" is almost impossibly stupid.  Does he not know about Wikipedia?

How was that racist?
Only way would be to think protesting in the CR movement was "nothing" or that because he is black he must represent a screwed up crime infested district. I mean that's kind of bad the more I think about it.

It may not be explicitly racist.  But can anyone find a single example of Trump describing a majority-white district of area in similar terms and with a similar lack of compassion?  Certainly there are plenty of them in worse shape than Atlanta's 5th.  

The attack is tone-deaf and stupid.  But it's not racist simply because it attacks Lewis.  If it's racist it's because it casts his urban, majority-black district as being "crime-infested," "in horrible shape," and "falling apart," which plays to standard GOP dog-whistle racism about blacks/inner cities.  In fact it's a huge district with a ton of socioeconomic diversity.
It's also kind of racist to assume that a federal Congressman somehow has control over the local crime rate. It's got a John-Lewis-should-do-a-better-job-of-controlling-his-people vibe to it.

His attack was also an attack on Atlanta. I would say his assumption that the district Lewis represents is a crime infested mess is where one might see Trump as being racist. 
Is it though?  If crime is indeed a problem there it isn't racist to say so.

It's also kind of racist to assume that a federal Congressman somehow has control over the local crime rate. It's got a John-Lewis-should-do-a-better-job-of-controlling-his-people vibe to it.
Yup, also this.  Similar to when he called out Obama, our "great African American president," for not controlling the "thugs" in Baltimore.

Which part of his comment mentions race?

It may not be explicitly racist.  But can anyone find a single example of Trump describing a majority-white district of area in similar terms and with a similar lack of compassion?  Certainly there are plenty of them in worse shape than Atlanta's 5th.  
Trump is an equal opportunity troll.  He'll go after anyone that goes after him.  People said he was a racist for going after Obama's birther issue, but when the opportunity presented itself he also made it an issue with Cruz.

John Lewis was out of line challenging Trump's legitimacy.  I said last week that this would start happening.  The Dems have absolutely lost their minds.  They are doing everything they feared Trump would do if he lost.  Still in the denial stage of grief.

Is it though?  If crime is indeed a problem there it isn't racist to say so.
Crime is a problem in many places. But Trump only seems to point out crime issues in places that have a higher proportion of black people. That's what makes it racist. For example, Milwaukee has a higher crime rate than Atlanta. Yet Trump repeatedly praised the city and its leaders during multiple visits. Trump has repeatedly attacked Chicago and its leaders, yet he hasn't said a word about Miami, Orlando, Buffalo, or Minneapolis (all of which have higher violent crime rates than Chicago).

Trump is an equal opportunity troll.  He'll go after anyone that goes after him.  People said he was a racist for going after Obama's birther issue, but when the opportunity presented itself he also made it an issue with Cruz.

John Lewis was out of line challenging Trump's legitimacy.  I said last week that this would start happening.  The Dems have absolutely lost their minds.  They are doing everything they feared Trump would do if he lost.  Still in the denial stage of grief.
You're wrong on the birther thing. What he did to Cruz was a legal argument based on universally agreed-upon facts.  What he did to Obama is suggest, with zero evidence, that the generally agreed-upon facts were a lie.  Totally different.  I'm so tired of this "Cruz proved hes not a racist for being a birther" thing. 

Im not a fan of what Lewis said, but he's earned the right to speak.  Challenging him is a terrible look that will further tank Trumps abysmal approval ratings, guaranteed.

Crime is a problem in many places. But Trump only seems to point out crime issues in places that have a higher proportion of black people. That's what makes it racist. For example, Milwaukee has a higher crime rate than Atlanta. Yet Trump repeatedly praised the city and its leaders during multiple visits. Trump has repeatedly attacked Chicago and its leaders, yet he hasn't said a word about Miami, Orlando, Buffalo, or Minneapolis (all of which have higher violent crime rates than Chicago).
He spoke about crime in Milwaukee after the riots there.

You're wrong on the birther thing. What he did to Cruz was a legal argument based on universally agreed-upon facts.  What he did to Obama is suggest, with zero evidence, that the generally agreed-upon facts were a lie.  Totally different.  I'm so tired of this "Cruz proved hes not a racist for being a birther" thing. 

Im not a fan of what Lewis said, but he's earned the right to speak.  Challenging him is a terrible look that will further tank Trumps abysmal approval ratings, guaranteed.
You act as if there were no red flags on the Obama birth certificate.  The guy was listed in a Harvard publication as born in Kenya.  And it took him how many months to release the long form?

And how is it racist anyway?  Because Obama is half black?  Could it be that he was a political enemy?

Liberals have to stop labeling everything as racist.  It's a big part of the reason Dems got trounced in the election.

Trump is an equal opportunity troll.  He'll go after anyone that goes after him.  People said he was a racist for going after Obama's birther issue, but when the opportunity presented itself he also made it an issue with Cruz.
1. Trump questioned Obama's birth certificate before Obama ever "went after" Trump.

2. attacking a Hispanic guy doesn't exactly prove that you weren't racist for attacking a black guy.

You act as if there were no red flags on the Obama birth certificate.  The guy was listed in a Harvard publication as born in Kenya.  And it took him how many months to release the long form?
Not releasing documents people keep asking about is a sign something is fishy?

Just want confirmation about this other thing involving tax records.  

And how is it racist anyway?  Because Obama is half black?  Could it be that he was a political enemy?

Liberals have to stop labeling everything as racist.  It's a big part of the reason Dems got trounced in the election.
I'm gonna pass on both the "birtherism wasn't racist" thing and the "blame Trump on the people who didn't even vote for him" thing.  

ETA:  and the "winning the popular vote by 3 million and gaining seats in the House and the Senate = getting trounced" thing.  You're better than that, GB

Last edited by a moderator:
He spoke about crime in Milwaukee after the riots there.
Did Trump say that Paul Ryan or Gwen Moore needed to spend more time fixing their districts?

You act as if there were no red flags on the Obama birth certificate.  The guy was listed in a Harvard publication as born in Kenya.
OMG you don't really believe that do you? There was no "Harvard publication" that said Obama was born in Kenya. There was a book agent who mistakenly wrote that Obama was born in Kenya on a promotional pamphlet. That agent admitted that she made a clerical error which was later corrected.

I'm baffled that you would consider such a singular clerical error to hold equal or greater standing than the State Of Hawaii. Honestly, it makes me reconsider everything that you've ever posted here, assuming that you're not fishing.

Wait...your the guy who claims black racism towards whites is worse than the inverse, no?

I'm gonna pass on both the "birtherism wasn't racist" thing and the "blame Trump on the people who didn't even vote for him" thing.  

ETA:  and the "winning the popular vote by 3 million and gaining seats in the House and the Senate = getting trounced" thing.  You're better than that, GB
I was thinking of making a separate topic on this.  Maybe in a few months when the sting of the election has worn off and Dems are more receptive to hearing it.  https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html?mwrsm=Email&_r=0&referer=

Forbes had it as 6th worst in the country so there are a few worse. 
I don't know the breakdown by district but all of Atlanta doesn't fall under him. Plus I don't see how it's falling apart. Downtown ATL is nice, there's lots of jobs and universities.

I didnt think of it that way. But a draft dodger telling a civil rights icon who was nearly beaten to death for a cause that he is all talk is SAD. 

OMG you don't really believe that do you? There was no "Harvard publication" that said Obama was born in Kenya. There was a book agent who mistakenly wrote that Obama was born in Kenya on a promotional pamphlet. That agent admitted that she made a clerical error which was later corrected.

I'm baffled that you would consider such a singular clerical error to hold equal or greater standing than the State Of Hawaii. Honestly, it makes me reconsider everything that you've ever posted here, assuming that you're not fishing.
How was it racist exactly?

Lewis called Trump illegitimate. Whether you agree with that or not, it was very predictable that Trump would not only hit back, but hit back on Twitter in exactly the style that he did (my attacker is a failing loser). But moreover I would expect any politician to respond when called illegitimate. To bring the MLK holiday into this is irrelevant. Lewis happened to make the comment 3 days before the holiday.

I don't consider this much of a story, especially when so much other stuff surrounding Trump is horrifying.

How was it racist exactly?
How was what racist?

I take back everything I ever said about you giving a #### about truth and accuracy.  This is a post of a person who thinks truth is a matter of salesmanship.

I take back everything I ever said about you giving a #### about truth and accuracy.  This is a post of a person who thinks truth is a matter of salesmanship.
How so?  Because I didn't write two paragraphs about the publication where he was listed as from Kenya?  How does that matter?  The point I was making was there the birtherism didn't just pop out of thin air, that there was some basis for questioning it.

I was thinking of making a separate topic on this.  Maybe in a few months when the sting of the election has worn off and Dems are more receptive to hearing it.  https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-identity-liberalism.html?mwrsm=Email&_r=0&referer=
I've read plenty of pieces like that.

This raging dumpster fire of a presidency will always be on the people who dumped the kerosene and threw matches on it first and foremost, by a mile.  Then maybe second on the people who stood by and let them light the fire.  

And then maybe, a distant third, I'll listen to arguments about what those of us who spent an entire year doing everything we could possibly do to discourage the arsonists maybe also did some other things that arguably indirectly encouraged them.

I must be getting old.  I remember when the right was about personal responsibility instead of being delicate snowflakes who elected reality show idiots because liberals opposed bathroom bills and made too many Duck Dynasty jokes.

Users who are viewing this thread