What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it time for the news ticker to go away at the bottom of all sports games? (1 Viewer)

Keep the ticker or boot it?

• Keep the ticker at the bottom of sports broadcasts

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Get rid of it

Votes: 24 72.7%

• Total voters

TheFanatic

Footballguy
I was like Pavlov's dog when that chime went off on the NFL broadcast and they would show the scores/stats of other games and then the ticker would disappear. And when they changed it to run the ticker constantly I was ecstatic. That was before I got a smart phone. Now I get too much information. I want to watch the game. I don't need to know that the Baltimore Orioles placed a middle reliever on the DL and recalled some guy I've never heard of from Triple A. And I really don't need to see that every four minutes during the game. It's just plain distracting. I know, I know. Just don't look. I try. It's hard not to. 

I was like Pavlov's dog when that chime went off on the NFL broadcast and they would show the scores/stats of other games and then the ticker would disappear. And when they changed it to run the ticker constantly I was ecstatic. That was before I got a smart phone. Now I get too much information. I want to watch the game. I don't need to know that the Baltimore Orioles placed a middle reliever on the DL and recalled some guy I've never heard of from Triple A. And I really don't need to see that every four minutes during the game. It's just plain distracting. I know, I know. Just don't look. I try. It's hard not to. 
I think they should get rid of it for the simple fact if you have recorded a game to watch later and you happen to look at a different game in the mean time, it ruins the game you were going to watch.

I think they should get rid of it for the simple fact if you have recorded a game to watch later and you happen to look at a different game in the mean time, it ruins the game you were going to watch.
This is a complaint I have as well. On Sundays during NFL season, I record NASCAR races and it never fails that the winner gets revealed to me somehow before I get to watch the race because of a ticker.

Another pet peave I have is when my local networks do some kind of ticker (weather alert or breaking news story) it changes the broadcast over to SD vs HD. Frustrating....

my TV has an option for changing screen size/dimensions ... if one has a similarly equipped setup i'm sure there's a way to customize out the ticker, no?

Last edited by a moderator:
my TV has an option for changing screen size/dimensions ... if one has a similarly equipped setup i'm sure there's a way to customize out the ticker, no?
That's an option. And I've done that in the past. But usually when I do that, it also gets rid of the stuff in the upper corners which is usually where the score of the game is. Now if TV manufacturers came out with a "No Ticker" screen option that just slid the screen straight down and did a small pill box type effect, that would be awesome. Lose the ticker, but keep everything else!

Even worse is if you are watching soccer or tennis on delay, they put the score to what you are watching. So if you manage to somehow avoid the news, the ticker at the bottom gets you. 

I don't know why it can't be set to do the crawl for, say, 5 minutes every hour.  Having it continually really blows.

Get rid of it.

It is really annoying when you are waiting to see a specific score (because you are too lazy to look on your phone or tablet), and you sit there for an hour while they show the top 25 scores repeatedly, interesting facts, ESPN win probabilities,  promos for shows, and other garbage.  Then when you think your score is about to pop up, they cut to commercial..

It is long overdue that we have a button on our remotes that lets us customize what we're watching in some basic ways.

Users who are viewing this thread