What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is AAA worth $100 per year? (1 Viewer)

Keerock

Footballguy
My AAA membership is about to expire/renew. I do enjoy the peace of mind (and have used) the service a few times to get a tow and a tire change (wife's car while I was out of town). Haven't used it in a couple years (probably just jinxed it). Is that worth $100 per year?

Also... I know they claim there are thousands of discounts, but I can't remember there ever being a time I used them except for Cedar Point tickets. Unfortunately haven't been there in a few years and honestly don't remember if the discount was anything substantial. Do any of you with AAA use their discounts anywhere? I see they have "special" rates at hotels, but my status being an AmEx Platinum member gets a better discount.

I think so. We use the discounts in hotels up and down east coast when necessary.

Main benefit though and where it paid for itself for a decade was when my car battery broke in Montreal. AAA works with a Canadian version of same and getting a new battery and install in the parking lot of Olympic Stadium took an hour and I can't remember it costing me that much at all in fees for being in Canada.

We use it for the hotel discounts a few times a year which more than makes up for the $100.

Plus, like Uruk, the peace of mind it provides is definitely worth $8/month to me. But if you never use it for hotels and your auto insurance provides the other benefits, it may not be worth it to you.

Triple A is a non-profit, however they do have overhead and the benefits you get from triple A would be better spent elsewhere unless you have a beater of a vehicle that needs multiple tows per year.

I think so. We use the discounts in hotels up and down east coast when necessary.

Main benefit though and where it paid for itself for a decade was when my car battery broke in Montreal. AAA works with a Canadian version of same and getting a new battery and install in the parking lot of Olympic Stadium took an hour and I can't remember it costing me that much at all in fees for being in Canada.

Pretty sure you could call up a tow truck and have them deliver a battery for under a thousand dollars? Not sure how spending a hundred dollars a year pays for itself here.

I don't think it costs me $100 a year to have roadside assistance through my insurer. You might want to check that if that's all you use it for.
Yeah - I feel like my insurance company charge is around $65/year for roadside assistance.

Even then your insurance company is making money on that roadside assistance. Unless you have a really old vehicle it is just cheapest to pay out of pocket the rare time you need it.

We have it at a cheaper rate but to me I would pay a hundo. Wife had to use the complimentary Volvo roadside assistance one time and the wait time quoted was 3-4 hours

That one time you need to use it it sure is.
This is my leaning. We recently had a dead battery while at our summer cottage (grandsons left the reading lights on in the back seat). AAA came out within an hour and had a battery in their supply to replace it. Major hassle if we didn't have the coverage. Would have been even worse if this happened while we were away from our lodging.

Even then your insurance company is making money on that roadside assistance. Unless you have a really old vehicle it is just cheapest to pay out of pocket the rare time you need it
You have access to significantly more honest tow truck companies than I have come across.

Even then your insurance company is making money on that roadside assistance. Unless you have a really old vehicle it is just cheapest to pay out of pocket the rare time you need it
You have access to significantly more honest tow truck companies than I have come across.

I am not sure how you would quantify this, google is full of horror stories related to triple A towing but I cannot find a report that shows whether they have better or worse service. I am sure you can find horror stories from calling the tow truck directly as well.

I did need a tow 2 years ago in the middle of nowhere colorado when a jeep ran me off the road due to it going to fast around a corner in snowy conditions. I did not have AAA but was able to get a tow relatively quickly at a reasonable rate.

From my understanding AAA pays the tow tuck drivers less than you would pay out of pocket and the service could potentially be slower if the tow trucks have other business.

From my understanding AAA pays the tow tuck drivers less than you would pay out of pocket and the service could potentially be slower if the tow trucks have other business.
All true.

Without them, you get to negotiate with the tow truck company from the side of the road. I have done this before, and will not do it again.

i don’t use AAA, I have proper insurance, but same idea.

All true.

Without them, you get to negotiate with the tow truck company from the side of the road. I have done this before, and will not do it again.

Which is cheaper than paying 100 dollars a year if your vehicles are not beaters.

if you drive piles of crap like i have to then yes one hundred percent you get free tows within 200 miles if you had to use it once you paid for it like five times take that to the bank bromigo

it doesn't even have to be a POC for something unexpected to occur. We used to live in the mountains in colorado and would often have to deal with nails in tires and flats. very useful to have the AAA service

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
All true.

This is good to know. Not gonna change our approach because my car is rarely more than 10 miles from home base, but something to be mindful of if circumstances change and/or when I finally upgrade. Doubt I can get the wife on board with no roadside assistance, but I'm gonna try dammit.

There's three dozen ways to get roadside assistance without AAA. Insurance, a good credit card, warranty.

If it's the only reason you use AAA, probably not.

I don't think it costs me $100 a year to have roadside assistance through my insurer. You might want to check that if that's all you use it for.
Yeah - I feel like my insurance company charge is around $65/year for roadside assistance.
I get it for $9 bucks per car per year through Travelers. Only good for 15 mile tow though. Does include
• Jump starts
• Fuel delivery
• Flat tire change
• Lockout assistance
• Roadside winching

I get it for $9 bucks per car per year through Travelers. Only good for 15 mile tow though. Does include
• Jump starts
• Fuel delivery
• Flat tire change
• Lockout assistance
Roadside winching
Does your wife know?

The last time I needed a tow, was with a lease car so not a junker, and I was in a shady part of town, took 3 hours to get a wrecker, and wasn't fully covered by my insurance so it cost $200.

Got AAA the next day. Put the 9 bucks a month on a credit card that I have sock drawered and autopay it each month. Piece of mind and helps the ol' credit score. Win/win.

Definitely for wife and son. However, I recently called for a jump, the wait time was like up to 4 hours.

A benjamin is neither here nor there, so can't say it doesn't offer value for money, but this is another weird US v UK thing - here, this sort of cover is frequently bundled into the extras of many bank accounts and credit cards, either gratis or for next to nothing a month, and the companies in question don't care if you take out a year's cover at the roadside when calling them out, so you're not burning cash for no reason if the main reason you take out the cover is just for breakdowns rather than any ancillary benefits

(Edit - and yeah, this is a frequent op ex on car insurance, at least we offer it)

I just signed up for AARP.:oops: AAA is is better though. I think worth it.

Don't all car companies do roadside service now? I called Land Rover with a flat (I couldn't get the lug nuts off) They had a guy there in 20 mins at no change. I even offered him a $50 tip and he turned it down. Said he wasn't allowed to take it.

I worked for AAA emergency road service for 10 years so will share a bit here. Fair warning, I left AAA 20 years ago so I'm not certain how much of this is still applicable today. Take it with a grain of salt.

The battery service is outstanding but is not available in all areas. So it's a great selling point for the sales guys, but when I was there we had to turn down a ton of requests for this service because people were calling from areas where it was not available. If it's the same as before, they actually keep a good inventory of different battery sizes (but all by 1 or 2 brands) and this is how they can bring out a battery at night or holidays when you'd otherwise be hard-pressed to get one. IIRC the battery prices are pretty much the standard prices for whatever batteries they have, no discount and no unreasonable markup. Also in some areas the battery service ONLY does battery service calls. They have special vans for this and if they come out and determine a battery won't fix your problem, you have to wait for a tow truck (but the tow would be prioritized over people who called after you placed your initial call).

Triple A is a non-profit, however they do have overhead and the benefits you get from triple A would be better spent elsewhere unless you have a beater of a vehicle that needs multiple tows per year.
Not quite. AAA is a not-for-profit organization. Similar, but this is different than a non-profit.

Pretty sure you could call up a tow truck and have them deliver a battery for under a thousand dollars? Not sure how spending a hundred dollars a year pays for itself here.
Back in my day, no. Tow truck drivers would want to tow the car to some place where you could buy a battery. They would not want to lose valuable time going to a store, getting a battery for you, or installing it for you. They usually prefer to either a.) fit as many short, quick tows into a shift as possible or b.) hit the lottery with that occasional 100 mile tow since AAA pays per mile. AAA's battery service that Yankee mentioned was most likely a AAA-owned service, unavailable to non-members.

We have it at a cheaper rate but to me I would pay a hundo. Wife had to use the complimentary Volvo roadside assistance one time and the wait time quoted was 3-4 hours
At one point AAA was actually handling roadside assistance for many OEMs. I don't know or recall if AAA handled Volvo but multiple OEMs (and insurance companies, iirc) had direct interfaces so someone like BMW or GM (OnStar) would take your info and that info would show up in AAA's dispatch system just like requests from AAA members. One thing I hated was that AAA actually prioritized service to some of those OEMs over service to their own AAA members.

I am not sure how you would quantify this, google is full of horror stories related to triple A towing but I cannot find a report that shows whether they have better or worse service. I am sure you can find horror stories from calling the tow truck directly as well.

I did need a tow 2 years ago in the middle of nowhere colorado when a jeep ran me off the road due to it going to fast around a corner in snowy conditions. I did not have AAA but was able to get a tow relatively quickly at a reasonable rate.

This was definitely true when I worked there. By offering a pretty accurate guarantee of X calls per year, AAA can entice tow companies to do the service for a lower rate because they get a higher and more consistent volume without having to spend time/money on marketing and without competition for the work. It can be a good deal for them if they manage it correctly. Larger tow companies with more trucks typically manage this better than small one-man-band outfits with two guys with a truck who never owned a business before. When I left, I think AAA was paying $12.50 per tow in Atlanta (plus $2.50 per mile after 5 miles) in Atlanta, about $17 per locksmith call (keys locked in car), and about $9 to companies that only perform light services with smaller trucks ( battery charge, flat tire, etc.).

I have seen poorly run outfits fail to properly plan for the costs of maintaining & repairing the trucks and get into money trouble. That's when they really start getting scammy with people who call them directly (roadside negotiation) and also start de-prioritizing contracts that pay less (whether that's AAA or Travelers or whatever).

There's three dozen ways to get roadside assistance without AAA. Insurance, a good credit card, warranty.

If it's the only reason you use AAA, probably not.
Maybe. I can't say if AAA still does this but they did used to offer to reimburse you if AAA could not get service out quickly and you were able to get service privately. At that time most other orgs weren't doing that. No idea nowadays. And the likelihood of AAA being unable to get service quickly really varied by location. Southern Georgia was almost impossible, but AAA averaged under 30 min. in many (mostly urban) areas.

One other thing, also especially in larger cities, is that AAA actually owned fleets of tow trucks & light service vehicles and employed the drivers directly. Those assets were unavailable to the general public and to other road service orgs (unless they contracted AAA for their roadside assistance, as mentioned above).

--HORROR STORIES--
I won't get into the bad customer experiences, as I was the one they complained to so it was daily. Handling 2000 roadside calls per day, complaints were about a dozen per day which is not bad, but when something went bad it often went really, really bad. My horror stories are from the other side. One of my favorite drivers - a Nigerian guy with an awesome accent, a winning smile, and tribal scars on his face - got hit on the side of I-85 while changing a tire. The customer actually got in the tow truck and got on the AAA radio to tell us to call 911. That was a bad day. He survived but was never the same. In another incident a driver I knew pretty well failed to properly secure a vehicle to his flatbed and it came off on the road, seriously injuring some motorists behind him.

Last thing I'll touch on is "is it worth it". Probably not, but I still have AAA. If you need roadside assistance having something set up in advance (whether that's AAA or otherwise) just simplifies things and removes a bit of the stress from a bad situation. Plus my wife and kid would otherwise have no idea where to start if they had a problem.

I don't know if it's "worth it" but I routinely spend more money on dumber things. Keeping AAA is a no brainer IMO.

ETA: Forgot to add, I moved a few years ago and now have an AAA office about a 5 minute drive away. Renewed my license there last year. Way more convenient than going through the RMV.

Definitely worth it. We’ve got a couple cars starting to get long in the tooth, plus a daughter starting college this fall in the next state over.

I think its definitely worth it. $100 for that peace of mind is an easy decision. I've had some good experiences with them. if there's something that i already have like insurance that provides something similar, then its great to have a backup to help with a potentially crappy situation.

Have had it for over 20 years. Plus membership which gets more/further tows i think. Added my granddaughter last fall when she went to college.
always seems expensive when I write the check, but a couple months ago my wife blew an engine on the way to work, I was at work and not having to leave or deal with this at all is well worth the money. Plus knowing m grandchild won't be left stranded on the highway is helpful in its own way.

what is kinda interesting about the AAA membership is it's the same no matter what kind of car you drive. I had a beat up car that I sold about 5 years ago and would use it all the time. I bought a car that was a few years old, don't drive a ton and have used it once in the past 5 years. But have been member a long time and don't mind paying membership fee even if not getting great value out of it right now.

Never thought about it. For some reason I clicked on this thread. Then I got home yesterday and had mail from AAA. First year is only $32 for me and the wife is free. We are about to head out on a trip from Wisconsin to Cooperstown and then the ocean and other places in between. No brainer to give it a try for a year.

I guess I am in the minority, but absolutely not worth it in my experience. My insurance includes roadside and tire changes.

I just booked a Florida vacation for this fall and the hotel we choose had a Christmas in July promotion that was almost 400 dollars cheaper than AAA discount.

We also had AAA insurance about a decade ago when a storm ripped 3/4 of our siding and roof off. They replaced the shingles no problem, but it took a year of fighting and finally threatening legal action to get them to replace the siding. The only wanted to replace half of the siding on a color that couldn't be matched up. They also wanted to total my 6 year old truck that we had just paid off that has about 4000 in damage from the same storm.

I won't be using them for anything again if I can help if.

No. Check your auto insurer for a cheaper rate. I get road side assistance from State Farm for just a couple bucks a month.

Users who are viewing this thread