What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ironic, Alanis or none of the above? (1 Viewer)

Ned Ryerson

Footballguy
I know this is a stupid question, but this forum thrives on such inanity-

A 6 year old child who is as tremendous a baseball fan as there could be for someone his age happens to be lucky and witnesses a no-hitter.

The 6 year says to his father "I'm so excited to see a no-hitter, I've waited my whole life for this."

Is the incongruity between "my whole life" and a 6 year old making such a statement sufficient to be "ironic" or just a humorous juxtaposition between the statement made and the speaker thereof.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say just humorous.

Even with common use like Alanis's that doesn't follow the older literary definition, there's an element of something being the opposite of what you expect. Winning the lottery is supposed to bring a great life but the guy immediately dies. Being afraid to fly is supposed to be an irrational fear but then the guy's plane actually does crash, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, but I can identify with the kid.

The Bears didn't win the Super Bowl until my 11th season as a fan, and it seemed like it took forever.

Now it's been 30 seasons since, yet 1985 feels like yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread