What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Interesting take on Cutler (1 Viewer)

tdmills said:
Not sure if this is posted.

Thought it was an interesting stat...from Cutler's horrible game.

Bears wideouts produced biggest day since '04

Posted: 9/17/2009 2:57 p.m.

Jay Cutler has been widely criticized following the first four-interception game of his NFL career Sunday night in Green Bay. But the Bears quarterback helped his young wide receivers post big numbers in the loss to the Packers.
big numbers are great for fantasy nerds, but what counts in the nfl is winning.if you were to lead your team 80 yds down the field, only to throw a pick in the shadow of the goalpost which gets marched back down for a score, you wouldn't be helping your team win, but rather cheating them of at least the chance at a fg.

now imagine you do that 4x.

after you lose the game by 2 points, everybody will be talking about all that incredible yardage you put up w/that rocket laser arm.

when you throw that pick on the first play of the drive, in the shadow of your own goal it will be punched right in for a score, and after you lose by 2 points, everybody will be blaming the defense for ruining that great game you were having ---- oh, if only the defense could live up to your standard.

there aren't any good turnovers, but there are all different kinds of bad, and last year cutler threw some of the worst.

Jay Cutler threw for over 4500 yards this past season. That has only been accomplished 16 other times in league history. That has only been accomplished 8 other times in league history by someone under the age of 30. Only 3 other players have thrown for 4500 yards at 26 or younger: Drew Bledsoe in 1994, Neil Lomax in 1984, and Dan Marino in 1984 and 1986.

For all you naysayers, that's pretty good, right? He did something that nobody has done in the last 14 years.

Among active players, Jay has more career passing yards than anyone his age or younger.

The Chicago offense will take some time to be in sync, but it will come around. In time, Chicago moving away from passes completed to the running backs and toward passes completed to the wide receivers will benefit the ballclub.

Compare Jay's career to date with Peyton Manning's, Troy Aikman's and John Elway's at a similar point in time. Compare it to Trent Dilfer's, whose mouth sure has wagged this week.

People like to pile on. Jay is 26 years old. He will settle in at Chicago and have a fine career.

By the way...that list that whoever posted with Cutler being #15....lol. Sanchez, Pennington, Hasselbeck better than JC?!?! Also, no Favre in the top 15? Those are pretty egregious errors and sort of are a hinderence in your quest to make a point.
pennington threw for a 67% completion rate, only giving up 7 picks, to take a 1 win team to 11-5 and win one of the toughest divisions in football --- all this w/pretty much crap at wr.cutler, on the other hand, threw for 62% completions, handing out 18 picks like they were halloween candy, and stumbling home at .500 in one of the worst divisions in football --- while throwing to marshall and royal.oh, sorry ---- did you mean jesus christ?
And now for some more cherry picked stats that make a narrow viewpoint look impressive:Miami's defense allowed opponents to average less than 20 points per game.Miami's defense had 40 sacks.Miami's defense had 18 interceptions.Miami's defense had 17 fumbles forced and 12 fumbles recovered.Miami went 1-2 against teams that made the playoffs, averaging 13 ppg while allowing less than 23 ppg.Denver's defense allowed opponents to average 28 points per game. Denver's defense had 26 sacks.Denver's defense had 6 interceptions.Denver's defense had 9 fumbles forced and 7 fumbles recovered.Denver went 2-2 against teams that made the playoffs, averaging 23.5 pg while allowing 35 ppg.Obviously Cutler is not the greatest thing that ever lived, nor is he the trash some people imply. As a Bears fan I am extremely optimistic and my gut tells me he is the most talented QB to ever wear a Bears jersey in my lifetime (which isn't really saying much). I see things that amaze me, some things that make me shake my head, and then I remember he's a 26 year old pro-bowler in only his third season as a starter. We will find out soon enough whether Denver or Chicago got the better deal, the Broncos and Bears swapping starting QB's should provide about as accurate an analysis as possible in the NFL when we compare the 2008 and 2009 seasons.The multiple picks in preseason and the first game concern me, but I'm hoping they are the growing pains of learning a new offense and new receivers. I like his ability to feel pressure and temporarily avoid it almost as much as the cannon he has. I used to watch the Bears D every snap and if I needed to get up before a commercial I would do it when the Bears O had the ball. Now I can't miss an offensive snap, I truly feel we have a QB that is a threat to put points on the board every time he touches it. It's a great time to be a Bear fan.

tdmills said:
Not sure if this is posted.Thought it was an interesting stat...from Cutler's horrible game.Bears wideouts produced biggest day since '04 Posted: 9/17/2009 2:57 p.m.Jay Cutler has been widely criticized following the first four-interception game of his NFL career Sunday night in Green Bay. But the Bears quarterback helped his young wide receivers post big numbers in the loss to the Packers.
big numbers are great for fantasy nerds, but what counts in the nfl is winning.if you were to lead your team 80 yds down the field, only to throw a pick in the shadow of the goalpost which gets marched back down for a score, you wouldn't be helping your team win, but rather cheating them of at least the chance at a fg.now imagine you do that 4x.after you lose the game by 2 points, everybody will be talking about all that incredible yardage you put up w/that rocket laser arm.
Jay Cutler threw for over 4500 yards this past season.
dude, you are right on cue.

The Bears will win this weekend and everybody will have to shut their mouths. The Packers have a playoff caliber squad and the Bears gave them everything they could handle. Even without Urlacher, I am sorry, but they are solid at every position on D. I think people are going to be pretty surprised.
:thumbup:
Who's laughing now?
I know its one game, but the thing is most people are football idiots when it comes to football so i'm really not surprised. Next week if Cutler has an int. i guarantee this thread gets bumped just like i did when he had a good game, except i bump it by actually seeing the game. People will always micromanage and nitpick players and i'm not going too.

Jay Cutler threw for over 4500 yards this past season. That has only been accomplished 16 other times in league history. That has only been accomplished 8 other times in league history by someone under the age of 30. Only 3 other players have thrown for 4500 yards at 26 or younger: Drew Bledsoe in 1994, Neil Lomax in 1984, and Dan Marino in 1984 and 1986.

For all you naysayers, that's pretty good, right? He did something that nobody has done in the last 14 years.

Among active players, Jay has more career passing yards than anyone his age or younger.

The Chicago offense will take some time to be in sync, but it will come around. In time, Chicago moving away from passes completed to the running backs and toward passes completed to the wide receivers will benefit the ballclub.

Compare Jay's career to date with Peyton Manning's, Troy Aikman's and John Elway's at a similar point in time. Compare it to Trent Dilfer's, whose mouth sure has wagged this week.

People like to pile on. Jay is 26 years old. He will settle in at Chicago and have a fine career.
Or all off-season? To hear Trent Dilfer talk, you would think he was some all-time great QB who always played smart, mistake-free football. Cutler, on his worst day, is not nearly as bad as Dilfer was on a regular basis for years.

Or all off-season? To hear Trent Dilfer talk, you would think he was some all-time great QB who always played smart, mistake-free football. Cutler, on his worst day, is not nearly as bad as Dilfer was on a regular basis for years.

This article comes across as a case of the media thinking it is more important than it really is. Its like the Chicago press is throwing a tantrum that they aren't being respected by Cutler. A lot of these guys at the local sports desks hold their jobs for decades and bounce from paper to paper or from TV to radio and back again. Its almost like an old boys network.

In Cleveland we've got a group of them that includes Bill Livingston, Bud Shaw, Tony Grossi, Terry Pluto, Mary Kay Cabot, and others. Pluto can be a great writer. I enjoy reading Terry Pluto. And I even think its time for him to go do something else with his life. All of these people have been covering Cleveland Sports since I was a teenager. Its ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
This article comes across as a case of the media thinking it is more important than it really is. Its like the Chicago press is throwing a tantrum that they aren't being respected by Cutler. A lot of these guys at the local sports desks hold their jobs for decades and bounce from paper to paper or from TV to radio and back again. Its almost like an old boys network.In Cleveland we've got a group of them that includes Bill Livingston, Bud Shaw, Tony Grossi, Terry Pluto, Mary Kay Cabot, and others. Pluto can be a great writer. I enjoy reading Terry Pluto. And I even think its time for him to go do something else with his life. All of these people have been covering Cleveland Sports since I was a teenager. Its ridiculous.
I live in Golden, Colorado and NO I'm NOT a Broncos fan, but..I LOVED watching Jay Cutler throw the ball. The hardest position to fill and the most important position on any NFL team, is quarterback. Funny how the Broncos struggling for ten years and all of the fans and media are looking for the next Elway and they go through a bunch of "gimps" at QB, and finally land a guy with a ..HOWITZER..arm who DID prove it on the field, threw for 4.500 yards on a horrible team..then let's him go...I guess the comparison comes to be who will last..the new no head Coach experience 32 year old Coach who made the decision or Cutlers stats and wins and losses with the new team...the jury is out. It's a tough position to be young and to have talent and have everyone thinking that you are "a God", and have to LEARN to be humble...this will happen over time..pretty nice job the Bears taking out the Super Bowl Champ Steelers..."you can't keep a good man down"..God bless Jay Cutler..

Thank you Phil Simms. He was awesome yesterday before the game. The best line was when he told idiots (many of you on this board btw) who say a QB should not throw across his body...Simms said if you cannot throw across the field in the NFL, you have no business being a NFL QB. All of the great QBs can do that, and Cutler is one of those special ones.

Thank you Donkeys. Enjoy Kyle Orton and those wins against the mighty Bengals and Browns.

This article comes across as a case of the media thinking it is more important than it really is. Its like the Chicago press is throwing a tantrum that they aren't being respected by Cutler. A lot of these guys at the local sports desks hold their jobs for decades and bounce from paper to paper or from TV to radio and back again. Its almost like an old boys network.In Cleveland we've got a group of them that includes Bill Livingston, Bud Shaw, Tony Grossi, Terry Pluto, Mary Kay Cabot, and others. Pluto can be a great writer. I enjoy reading Terry Pluto. And I even think its time for him to go do something else with his life. All of these people have been covering Cleveland Sports since I was a teenager. Its ridiculous.
I live in Golden, Colorado and NO I'm NOT a Broncos fan, but..I LOVED watching Jay Cutler throw the ball. The hardest position to fill and the most important position on any NFL team, is quarterback. Funny how the Broncos struggling for ten years and all of the fans and media are looking for the next Elway and they go through a bunch of "gimps" at QB, and finally land a guy with a ..HOWITZER..arm who DID prove it on the field, threw for 4.500 yards on a horrible team..then let's him go...I guess the comparison comes to be who will last..the new no head Coach experience 32 year old Coach who made the decision or Cutlers stats and wins and losses with the new team...the jury is out. It's a tough position to be young and to have talent and have everyone thinking that you are "a God", and have to LEARN to be humble...this will happen over time..pretty nice job the Bears taking out the Super Bowl Champ Steelers..."you can't keep a good man down"..God bless Jay Cutler..
And of course there is the whole karma thing that seems to have come around on the Broncos. John Elway was drafted by the Colts, and then refused to play for them and demanded a trade so he winds up in Denver. Now Denver drafts Jay Cutler and he refuses to play for the Broncos and demands a trade.

And of course there is the whole karma thing that seems to have come around on the Broncos. John Elway was drafted by the Colts, and then refused to play for them and demanded a trade so he winds up in Denver. Now Denver drafts Jay Cutler and he refuses to play for the Broncos and demands a trade.
How come Donkey fans do not call Elway a cry baby for not wanting to play for the Colts? :thumbup:

He's on pace to throw for 4100 yards and 24 touchdowns. Of course he's also on pace to throw 32 ints.

Still, the Bears have played two tough games. We haven't even seen what they will do to the Lions.

How come Donkey fans do not call Elway a cry baby for not wanting to play for the Colts? :rolleyes:
because he's our cry baby, and he wanted to be with us.if you are looking for consistency and rational thoughts, you aren't going to find it. Like I constantly tell my wife - there's a double standard, deal with it.

How come Donkey fans do not call Elway a cry baby for not wanting to play for the Colts? :rolleyes:
because he's our cry baby, and he wanted to be with us.if you are looking for consistency and rational thoughts, you aren't going to find it. Like I constantly tell my wife - there's a double standard, deal with it.
LOL....at least you are honest :bag:

I have not seen a Cutler thread today, so I figured it was about time:

Link

Another Lovie coaching friend fires on Cutler, Mora adds on too

By

Brad Biggs

on September 15, 2009 12:52 PM | Permalink | Comments (1) | TrackBacks (0)

At this point, it's fair to wonder if Lovie Smith shares the same viewpoints as his mentors.

Tony Dungy stepped out this spring and was critical of Jay Cutler's leadership ability, and now Mike Martz, another close friend to Smith who lobbied hard for him to get a head coaching job, has piled on.

Martz and Jim Mora Sr. made pointed remarks about Cutler's postgame press conference Sunday night at Lambeau Field after he threw a career-high four interceptions in a 21-15 loss to the Green Bay Packers. The Bears were 0-for-3 in the red zone and spoiled an all-around defensive effort. Cutler strung together a series of cliches and said miscommunications were partly to blame for the turnovers.

"When I saw that postgame press conference last night, I thought he looked completely immature,'' Mora said on the premier of The Head Coaches on NFL Network Monday night. "He acted like he didn't even care."

What's much more disturbing from the Bears' standpoint, however, is the criticism that came from Martz, who suggests the team is not handling him properly.

"He just doesn't get it,'' Martz said. "He doesn't understand that he represents a great head coach and the rest of those players on that team ... somebody needs to talk to him."

Smith remains close to Dungy and Martz both. It's difficult to imagine they would be critical of the marquee addition to the organization--the replacement for Sid Luckman six decades later--without knowing Smith would be understanding and accepting of their evaluations. Dungy called Cutler's makeup into question before.

"We'll see about his maturity level,'' Dungy said in a teleconference announcing his addition to NBC's coverage in early June. "That's what I would question. And some of the things that happened leading to him leaving Denver ... that would concern me as a head coach. He can make all of the throws, but quarterbacking is much more than just making throws."

Cutler can come across as being brusque in press conferences to uninterested and it's fair to say he was short Sunday night. What Dungy and Martz saw gave them reason to be concerned beyond the mistakes on the field.

``Having always handled my postgame press conferences in a professional way, I'm an authority on these types of things,'' Mora joked, referring to his "playoffs" rant that has become a popular beer commercial. "I just didn't think he was very professional, very accountable. I could give him a tip or two.''

It's going to be interesting to see what Smith's take on the situation is Wednesday. His new quarterback continues to take fire, and this is more friendly fire.
The more things change...

Users who are viewing this thread