What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (3 Viewers)

I’m the new Patriots GM
1. Trading the 1.03 and pick 68 for Justin Jefferson and the 1.11
2. Trading pick 34 for Justin Fields
3. Taking Olu Fashanu with the 1.11

First 3 rounds coming out of the draft with Fields, Jefferson and Fashanu.

Hire me now lol

Fields still needs a lot of work as a QB. There's a reason the Bears may be moving on from him and going with a different QB. He's better than what we have right now, sure, but I'm not sure about the premium it would take for him. That 34th pick could be anything but remember, Fields is entering his 4th year of the rookie contract, with the 5th year option likely to get picked up, which would cost around $25 million. You're giving up 4 years of cost control for Fields who you'd also have to give a new contract to.

Jefferson is a stud but he's looking to be the highest paid WR ever. Why not use that 1.03 on Marvin Harrison Jr. instead, get him for 5 years cheap before having to pay him. Also no way the Vikings giving up JJ just to move up 8 spots and get a 3rd rounder. Would be nice though!

In what reality do those picks get u JJ? Much less the 1.11 back.
JJ isn’t pulling a top 5 pick and a 30 million dollar a year contract. If that’s the case you’re better off drafting Harrison and getting him on a five year rookie deal. This puts his value right around the 1.11-1.12.

What if they take Marvin Harrison Jr. and not go QB?
I'm okay with it. Any QB they draft this year is going to get slaughtered behind that offensive line. We've already seen a first round QB fluster and fail under duress when there's no time to throw and no one to throw it to. I'm all for fortifying the receiving and blocking, even if it means more mediocre QB play from a veteran FA signing like Brissett for a season or two. The team needs an overhaul all across the board, and I'd rather whatever young QB is brought in be in position to succeed. Could always draft the QB and redshirt them for the first year, but I prefer maximizing that rookie contract whenever possible. I see a lot of discourse from my fellow Pats fans with a "draft a QB at 3 no matter what" approach, so I get my opinion may not be a popular one. I just feel more strongly about MJH as an NFL WR prospect than I do of, say, Jayden Daniels as an NFL QB prospect.

I'm okay with it. Any QB they draft this year is going to get slaughtered behind that offensive line. We've already seen a first round QB fluster and fail under duress when there's no time to throw and no one to throw it to. I'm all for fortifying the receiving and blocking, even if it means more mediocre QB play from a veteran FA signing like Brissett for a season or two. The team needs an overhaul all across the board, and I'd rather whatever young QB is brought in be in position to succeed. Could always draft the QB and redshirt them for the first year, but I prefer maximizing that rookie contract whenever possible. I see a lot of discourse from my fellow Pats fans with a "draft a QB at 3 no matter what" approach, so I get my opinion may not be a popular one. I just feel more strongly about MJH as an NFL WR prospect than I do of, say, Jayden Daniels as an NFL QB prospect.

I think draft a QB at #3 no matter what is a foolish strategy but I also think passing on one at #3 if you have them graded as a franchise-level QB is bad strategy as well…if you can get this position settled without having to give up any assets to do it allows you to move forward with so much more flexibility but it all revolves around the talent evaluation of the new regime.

I still think the best strategy for a major rebuild is to embrace losing and build up the rest of the team first AND THEN add the QB as one of the last puzzle pieces. That way, you can get the max out of the rookie contract and put out a legit offense for that guy to work with. Doing it that way, you will likely have multiple years with high draft picks and can continue to restock the talent base. Even if they happen to pick a rookie at #3 that is talented and could develop into a franchise QB, I suspect it would take years to get the team back to serious contention. However, given the poor OL and lack of weapons, I expect whoever they roll out there behind center is going to get killed and put up terrible numbers. They likely would have no way of knowing how good that QB could turn out to be, and they run the risk of destroying his confidence. IMO, they might be able to get to 6-8 wins with better QB play . . . but that probably hurts them more than helps them.

I would rather see them lose and get better draft picks in an attempt to build a serious contender rather than them trying to be a middle of the road team that could maybe be in the mix for a wildcard spot (and then get crushed in the playoffs). I know people will point to the Texans, but IMO, they were a more talented team than the current NE team and then hit home runs at QB and OT on top of it. They also play in a weaker division, so sure, it's possible to turn things around quickly . . . but a lot has to break right for that to happen. I would not be opposed to them trading down from #3 to #8 or #11 and even trading down again to compile more picks. Picking better players would also help.

Last edited:

if they don’t go QB I would rather trade down assuming they can get one of those sweetheart offers…if they did go Harrison then it is TBD based on what they do at QB and O-line…just so many holes on this offense.

Agree. I'm not convinced Harrison is significantly better than Nabers or Odunze either. Have a feeling all three of those WRs will have serious impact so maybe trade down and see if one of them are still around. If not, gain a pick or two, grab an OT.

Still think this all starts with ranking C. Williams, Maye, Daniels...among themselves, but also other top QB picks recently...T. Lawrence, CJ Stroud, B. Young, etc. If they are all at the top of the heap, I'd go QB. If not, trade down. Regardless of the decision, have trust in your new process and make the decision with confidence.

Just for ha-ha's, here were guys that were the third QB off the board and still Top 10 picks . . .

Anthony Richardson (4)
Trey Lance (3)
Justin Herbert (6)
Josh Allen (7) followed by Josh Rosen (10)
Ryan Tannehill (8)
Blaine Gabbert (10)
Akila Smith (3)

Every draft is different, but it's not often that there are multiple evenly rated QBs at the top, and rarer still that they all work out. If "their guy" falls to them, then great, but I wouldn't take a QB just because they need a QB. I'm not really sold on any of the rookie QBs this year. When I heard Mitchell Trubisky was a player comp for Drake Maye, that didn't win me over. Ditto for a Jayden Daniels player comp of Tyrod Taylor. I'd be happier with more picks than reaching for a QB (even if it is a QB driven league).

Every draft is different, but it's not often that there are multiple evenly rated QBs at the top, and rarer still that they all work out. If "their guy" falls to them, then great, but I wouldn't take a QB just because they need a QB. I'm not really sold on any of the rookie QBs this year. When I heard Mitchell Trubisky was a player comp for Drake Maye, that didn't win me over. Ditto for a Jayden Daniels player comp of Tyrod Taylor. I'd be happier with more picks than reaching for a QB (even if it is a QB driven league).

Who are the top 3 OTs and are any of them "generational talents"?

Joe Alt (Notre Dame) and Olumuyiwa Fashanu (Penn State) are generally considered the top two OT prospects. Both are projected to go in the top 5-7 picks. There are probably 5 other tackles projected to go in the first round. Not sure if any of these guys are considered "generational talents," but they certainly would be an upgrade over the options they have on the roster.

Not to beat a dead horse and sound extra negative, but NE is essentially having the same guys that scouted and contributed to draft prep for the last few drafts calling the shots. I get that people will say it was BB that picked all the wrong players, but I openly wonder if the same people can suddenly end up with better picks than Bill did. I guess we'll see who they end up with and how things play out.

Once they cut J.C. Jackson, they will have $90ish million in cap space for next year and $190 million in cap space for 2025. They could go sign an entire new team if they wanted to. The problem is, who will be on the market that's worth adding (and potentially overpaying)?

Not to beat a dead horse and sound extra negative, but NE is essentially having the same guys that scouted and contributed to draft prep for the last few drafts calling the shots. I get that people will say it was BB that picked all the wrong players, but I openly wonder if the same people can suddenly end up with better picks than Bill did. I guess we'll see who they end up with and how things play out.
Wolf did say today that they are moving towards more of a "value" type player ranking system.

That would be a breath of fresh air. Maybe they will now have a clue that a guy that you can get in round 4 shouldn't be drafted in round 2.

The same guys may be around, but I wonder with Bill gone, maybe this could be a refreshing change. And more productive one.

Would be a slight miracle if they could get anything for him...maybe one of those player + 7th rounder for a 6th rounder deals that seem to be pretty common...BB re-doing the contract for him was one of many of the recent headscratchers he had the past 4 years:

Would be a slight miracle if they could get anything for him...maybe one of those player + 7th rounder for a 6th rounder deals that seem to be pretty common...BB re-doing the contract for him was one of many of the recent headscratchers he had the past 4 years:

There's plenty of reasons to pile on BB, but I'm not sure this one should be that high on the list. In his first season in NE, Parker ranked near the top of the league in yards per reception and yards per target. He just didn't get targeted much, they didn't try hard to get him the ball, and he missed some time with injuries. He got a two-year extension at $5.4 million a year (which compared to the landscape of what receivers make is not all that much). Parker's contract ranks 58th among WRs. It wasn't a Jonnu Smith fiasco by comparison.

There's plenty of reasons to pile on BB, but I'm not sure this one should be that high on the list. In his first season in NE, Parker ranked near the top of the league in yards per reception and yards per target. He just didn't get targeted much, they didn't try hard to get him the ball, and he missed some time with injuries. He got a two-year extension at $5.4 million a year (which compared to the landscape of what receivers make is not all that much). Parker's contract ranks 58th among WRs. It wasn't a Jonnu Smith fiasco by comparison.

Absolutely worth piling on…not at the top of the list (which is sad because there are a lot more) but definitely part of the pile…he gave this stiff a contract extension because he was pouting and he continued being what he is…a guy who had 64 receptions-943 yards-3 TDs…oh, and by the way that was his total for 2 years.

Absolutely worth piling on…not at the top of the list (which is sad because there are a lot more) but definitely part of the pile…he gave this stiff a contract extension because he was pouting and he continued being what he is…a guy who had 64 receptions-943 yards-3 TDs…oh, and by the way that was his total for 2 years.
His contract is at the level of a low-end NFL veteran WR2/WR3. In the grand scheme of league player signings, this is not even a foot note in the discussion of horrible signings, overpays, or stupid decisions. They signed Parker for less money than the contract he was on with MIA after the market / pay scale for WRs had gone way up by then . . . meaning he was under market value. If you want to suggest they shouldn't have kept or extended him, fine. But he was not overpaid. He accounts for 2% on the team's salary cap.

The better question is why they didn't target him more or get him the football. When he was actually targeted, his production was the same or better than it was in MIA when his total counting stats were way better. Except he saw 35-40% of the targets as he did when he was with the Dolphins. Does that make Parker "a stiff" or does that make him underutilized? It's clear you weren't a fan of Parker, but maybe all the other offensive issues played a role in Parker putting up pedestrian totals? OL issues, play calling issues, QB issues, no time for plays to develop issues, etc. all factored into it.

Put another way, most other teams (or fan bases) would not have much consternation about a WR making $5-6M not putting up huge numbers. Not sure why Patriots Nation should have agita over this one either. They acquired Parker for a 3rd round pick with a 5th coming back. They didn't invest much to get him, they didn't have to pay him a ton when they brought him in, and they didn't pay him a ton on an extension. Keeping Parker around or not did not impact NE only winning 4 games. Feel free to call him a bum and a terrible roster decision if you want, but I don't see it that way.

His contract is at the level of a low-end NFL veteran WR2/WR3. In the grand scheme of league player signings, this is not even a foot note in the discussion of horrible signings, overpays, or stupid decisions. They signed Parker for less money than the contract he was on with MIA after the market / pay scale for WRs had gone way up by then . . . meaning he was under market value. If you want to suggest they shouldn't have kept or extended him, fine. But he was not overpaid. He accounts for 2% on the team's salary cap.

The better question is why they didn't target him more or get him the football. When he was actually targeted, his production was the same or better than it was in MIA when his total counting stats were way better. Except he saw 35-40% of the targets as he did when he was with the Dolphins. Does that make Parker "a stiff" or does that make him underutilized? It's clear you weren't a fan of Parker, but maybe all the other offensive issues played a role in Parker putting up pedestrian totals? OL issues, play calling issues, QB issues, no time for plays to develop issues, etc. all factored into it.

Put another way, most other teams (or fan bases) would not have much consternation about a WR making $5-6M not putting up huge numbers. Not sure why Patriots Nation should have agita over this one either. They acquired Parker for a 3rd round pick with a 5th coming back. They didn't invest much to get him, they didn't have to pay him a ton when they brought him in, and they didn't pay him a ton on an extension. Keeping Parker around or not did not impact NE only winning 4 games. Feel free to call him a bum and a terrible roster decision if you want, but I don't see it that way.

Not the first time we have disagreed but we do…sorry but giving up a #3 and then giving in to him when he was pouting is just another example of the moves that contributed to this team being in the situation they are currently in…obviously it is not as bad as Jonnu, Agholor, Juju or not addressing the O or O line correctly last off-season but it is another in a long line of wasted move.

Not the first time we have disagreed but we do…sorry but giving up a #3 and then giving in to him when he was pouting is just another example of the moves that contributed to this team being in the situation they are currently in…obviously it is not as bad as Jonnu, Agholor, Juju or not addressing the O or O line correctly last off-season but it is another in a long line of wasted move.
Or trading a second for Sanu . . . or giving AB how many millions to play in one game . . . or drafting Harry / Thornton / Chad Jackson / Bethel Jackson . . . or bringing in Ocho Cinco . . . or expecting Flash Gordon to stay on the straight and narrow. You get my point. They have a long history of some curious moves at the WR spot. Extending Parker might not even make the Top 10 of poor WR decisions.

Let it be noted that Jonnu and Agholor looked like football players when they moved on to the Falcons and Ravens. Not studs or anything like that, but they actually generated some marginal stats and found the end zone a few times. Jonnu was recently cut, but my point remains...NE's offense has been were offensive players go to disappear in recent years.

Or trading a second for Sanu . . . or giving AB how many millions to play in one game . . . or drafting Harry / Thornton / Chad Jackson / Bethel Jackson . . . or bringing in Ocho Cinco . . . or expecting Flash Gordon to stay on the straight and narrow. You get my point. They have a long history of some curious moves at the WR spot. Extending Parker might not even make the Top 10 of poor WR decisions.

I absolutely get your point but that doesn’t mean Parker is not part of that…especially when my original point was it was a head-scratcher not that it was among BB’s worst decisions…unfortunately that is a very tough list to crack.

I thought last years draft class was excellent.
Other than a "less than average" kicker in round 4, I thought those were solid picks everywhere else.
Hopefully whoever was scouting last year is still there and they can repeat that.

If they are sold that whoever is there at #3 (be it Maye or Daniels) has the potential to be a franchise-level QB I think this is the smart way to build because you just don't know if you will get this opportunity again...it fills by far the important part of the rebuild and allows for flexibility going forward as you will not be forced to have to trade any assets or use big $ to get a QB...I think Brissett would be the perfect-fit as the vet and I wouldn't mind if they took another dice roll at QB in the 6th or 7th round:

If they are sold that whoever is there at #3 (be it Maye or Daniels) has the potential to be a franchise-level QB I think this is the smart way to build because you just don't know if you will get this opportunity again...it fills by far the important part of the rebuild and allows for flexibility going forward as you will not be forced to have to trade any assets or use big $ to get a QB...I think Brissett would be the perfect-fit as the vet and I wouldn't mind if they took another dice roll at QB in the 6th or 7th round:

A lot of chatter now that the "plan" is to a) Draft a QB at 3, b) Sign a veteran QB (Brissett, Flacco, etc.), and c) Sit the rookie QB for a year while the vet gets beat up.

I'm good with that plan.

You still have draft ammo to grab an OT and WR in rounds 2 and 3. Maybe grab a pass catching RB mid rounds. Plenty of cap space to resign key players and maybe also go after OT J. Williams.

Embrace losing and mediocrity next year while building for the future.

A lot of chatter now that the "plan" is to a) Draft a QB at 3, b) Sign a veteran QB (Brissett, Flacco, etc.), and c) Sit the rookie QB for a year while the vet gets beat up.

I'm good with that plan.

You still have draft ammo to grab an OT and WR in rounds 2 and 3. Maybe grab a pass catching RB mid rounds. Plenty of cap space to resign key players and maybe also go after OT J. Williams.

Embrace losing and mediocrity next year while building for the future.

Yup...right now it is all about stopping the bleeding...anyone expecting a quick turnaround is beyond delusional...the whole O is one big hole and there is no way it can be rebuilt to a playoff-level O in one offseason...I like the plan that is being floated...after that it is nailing the draft and bringing in some solid professionals in free agency with their cap space but not sacrificing future cap space when they are hopefully closer to being a playoff contender...next off-season I think they will be in a better spot to aim a little higher in free agency as well as maybe trading down and picking-up more picks...if they can nail the QB position this off-season they will have a ton of flexibility going forward.

A lot of chatter now that the "plan" is . . .
I haven't devoted my utmost attention to all things Patriots Nation like I have in the past, but the chatter that I have heard is literally all over the map and that there isn't a clear plan / direction. From trading the pick, keeping the pick and taking a QB, keeping the pick and NOT drafting a QB, signing a free agent QB as a starter, signing a free agent as a backup, to signing Kirk Cousins AND drafting a QB at 3. I haven't seen a unified front on what people think they will do. And I have also heard it both ways that if they stay put and draft a QB, half say that player will start while the other half suggest he would sit. I also have heard that they may prefer one QB over the other two, and if "their guy" isn't still on the board they may be more likely to move down. Who knows at this point?

As for the post above, not sure if the offense continues to be a mess that they will be able to tell if they "nail the QB position." After Mac's rookie season, I think a lot of people thought at the time that they found their long-term QB of the future. The offense imploded since then, so not sure they will be able to rebuild the offense to a good enough point to know they have a real solution at QB. They could easily end up with a Wilson / Lance / Young / Trubisky situation on their hands at QB unless they hit paydirt on A LOT of roster spots on offense.

I’ve been back and forth with my thoughts on what they should do. I feel CW and DM have been at the top since at least mid season and Daniels put himself in that group. So my opinion is if Maye is there, run to the podium. If Daniels is the one that’s left over, it’s time to field offers or consider a pivot.

I’m very curious what they do in free agency.

My concern for free agency is that every team got an infusion in cap dollars and NE isn't exactly a destination team to go to. Unless they overpay, I don't think they will be able to woo many top free agents (not that there are a ton of them to begin with). The Pats have 3 of the top 25 free agents in Brown, Dugger, and Onwenu. They also have Henry, Uche, and Bourne. If they DON'T bring those guys back, those are just more spots they have to address an bring guys in to replace them.

It will be a tough sell to lure guys to NE when the QB is TBA, the offensive scheme / system is TBA, whoever the play caller will be will have very limited experience, and there really isn't anyone on offense that someone will say, "man, I want to play with that dude . . . he's an unreal talent." Free agency starts weeks before the draft does, so they won't really be able to answer a lot of the personnel questions if asked. Their best selling point is money. I suspect I will cringe at some of the contracts they will end up handing out . . . but they have to start somewhere.

I’ve been back and forth with my thoughts on what they should do. I feel CW and DM have been at the top since at least mid season and Daniels put himself in that group. So my opinion is if Maye is there, run to the podium. If Daniels is the one that’s left over, it’s time to field offers or consider a pivot.

Overall I hope they go the middle-class route this off-season…get some solid vets that can help change the culture for the young players coming in as well being able to play like a solid professional…if there are some diamond-in-the rough youngsters that they like I would pay a little extra for them and hope you get lucky like they did with a player like Vrabel back in the day…I don’t want to see them tie-up legit money on players that are not part of the long-term solution…as far as their FA’s I think Onwenu should be the main priority and worthy of a big contract..I would like to see Jennings and Mac Wilson back as you can probably retain both at reasonable prices and they both seemed to figure it out last year…Henry is the interesting one…first of all not sure if he wants to be back or is looking to play for a proven winner at this point of his career…if he wants to be back I would give him a solid contract…they have the cap space, zero TEs on the roster and he is supposed to be a leader…he would only help a young QB…as for the others I am Ok with letting them walk…Duggar is the big name and I am sort of indifferent on him…again, they have plenty of cap space so if the contract isn’t foolish it won’t hurt to have him come back but I also won’t lose any sleep if they let him walk.

Last edited:
What about trading from 3 to 9 and getting Fields plus?
There’s been speculation that CHI would take the Pats’ 3rd rounder for Fields. Why would the Bears want to give up a bunch of picks to move up? The rumor for a while was NE might move back to 8 with ATL or 11 with MIN. They could still trade the 3rd for Fields.

The new regime is said to be interested in Baker Mayfield (essentially since the main guys now are the ones that drafted him).

Part of my concern in having $100+ million to spend is who are the free agents that are available and would they want to come to NE?

For example, offensive tackle is one of their biggest needs. The #2 ranked FA OT is Trent Brown, the #3 ranked FA OT is Mike Onwenu, and the #7 FA OT is Jermaine Elumenor (who was below average as a part-time started in NE once already). The #1 rated OT on the market is 33-year-old Tyron Smith, and is there much point to bring in someone in that is closer to the end of the line than the beginning? I doubt they can fix their tackle situation in free agency . . . and most Pats fans would love to have Brown off the roster. Onwenu is projected to have a market value of 4/$55M. He made under $3M last year. Paying him 5X more doesn't make the line any better.

At WR, lots of folks are suggesting the Pats need to sign Michael Pittman. Given the WR market, he will probably get 4/$100-110M. Why would he pick the Pats over other suitors? Higgins is likely staying in CIN (unless he's traded). Mike Evans is 31 and will also want a similar amount per year (and someone will probably give it to him). Next choice would be Calvin Ridley, who Spotrac pegged with a 4 year/$68M market value. There's a decent drop off after that (Marquise Brown, Boyd, Mooney, Samuel, Davis, Chark). NE also had the #2 and #5 rated FA tight ends . . . and Dalton Schultz is the #1 rated one available.

The point being, I don't see a ton of quality options for them to target (and who knows who would want to come here on the team the way it stands currently). IMO, this is a great off season to be an ok-level free agent, as teams will be flush with money and there aren't a ton of great free agents. Guys are going to get overpaid . . . and NE will be in the mix to overpay them. This could very easily turn into 2021 all over again.

My concern for free agency is that every team got an infusion in cap dollars and NE isn't exactly a destination team to go to. Unless they overpay, I don't think they will be able to woo many top free agents (not that there are a ton of them to begin with). The Pats have 3 of the top 25 free agents in Brown, Dugger, and Onwenu. They also have Henry, Uche, and Bourne. If they DON'T bring those guys back, those are just more spots they have to address an bring guys in to replace them.

It will be a tough sell to lure guys to NE when the QB is TBA, the offensive scheme / system is TBA, whoever the play caller will be will have very limited experience, and there really isn't anyone on offense that someone will say, "man, I want to play with that dude . . . he's an unreal talent." Free agency starts weeks before the draft does, so they won't really be able to answer a lot of the personnel questions if asked. Their best selling point is money. I suspect I will cringe at some of the contracts they will end up handing out . . . but they have to start somewhere.
Yeah I can't picture the top FAs coming. You can forget about M. Evans, C. Ridley...K. Cousins, B. Mayfield, etc. I think I'm fine with that to be honest, but I'd still like them to plug homes with decent talent and at prices that aren't ridiculous.

Again, embrace the suck for a year, but don't act like you're not building (like some Red Sox team I know).

What about trading from 3 to 9 and getting Fields plus?
There’s been speculation that CHI would take the Pats’ 3rd rounder for Fields. Why would the Bears want to give up a bunch of picks to move up? The rumor for a while was NE might move back to 8 with ATL or 11 with MIN. They could still trade the 3rd for Fields.
The key to moving back to 8 or 11 will be JJ McCarthy. If Wolf and gang see little difference between say, Maye/Daniels/McCarthy, then trade down.

I just recorded the combine for today. Definitely want to see McCarthy/Nix/Penix throw.

McCarthy weighed in at 219. A bit larger than expected apparently.

The new regime is said to be interested in Baker Mayfield (essentially since the main guys now are the ones that drafted him).
Wolf and Van Pelt have ties to him.

That said, I can't imagine he'd be interested.

The only QBs I can imagine being interested are Brissett and Flacco. Beggars can't be choosers.

Part of my concern in having $100+ million to spend is who are the free agents that are available and would they want to come to NE?

For example, offensive tackle is one of their biggest needs. The #2 ranked FA OT is Trent Brown, the #3 ranked FA OT is Mike Onwenu, and the #7 FA OT is Jermaine Elumenor (who was below average as a part-time started in NE once already). The #1 rated OT on the market is 33-year-old Tyron Smith, and is there much point to bring in someone in that is closer to the end of the line than the beginning? I doubt they can fix their tackle situation in free agency . . . and most Pats fans would love to have Brown off the roster. Onwenu is projected to have a market value of 4/$55M. He made under $3M last year. Paying him 5X more doesn't make the line any better.

At WR, lots of folks are suggesting the Pats need to sign Michael Pittman. Given the WR market, he will probably get 4/$100-110M. Why would he pick the Pats over other suitors? Higgins is likely staying in CIN (unless he's traded). Mike Evans is 31 and will also want a similar amount per year (and someone will probably give it to him). Next choice would be Calvin Ridley, who Spotrac pegged with a 4 year/$68M market value. There's a decent drop off after that (Marquise Brown, Boyd, Mooney, Samuel, Davis, Chark). NE also had the #2 and #5 rated FA tight ends . . . and Dalton Schultz is the #1 rated one available.

The point being, I don't see a ton of quality options for them to target (and who knows who would want to come here on the team the way it stands currently). IMO, this is a great off season to be an ok-level free agent, as teams will be flush with money and there aren't a ton of great free agents. Guys are going to get overpaid . . . and NE will be in the mix to overpay them. This could very easily turn into 2021 all over again.
Yup.

I'm hoping for:

* Resign: Onwenu, Henry
* OT: J. Williams (Cinci)
* WR: Lower tier like T. Boyd or C. Samuel (although he can't seem to stay on the field). Maybe Mooney.
* QB: J. Brissett
* RB: Looks like another terrible year for RBs. Could be able to get some surprising talent here cheap. For example, I wonder if they could get T. Pollard cheap and have him go back to his old slasher role while Rhamandre remains the hammer.

Then rounds 1-4, grab your QB, load up on OT/WRs/TE, get a 3rd down RB later.

The Pats and Hunter Henry are said to be too far apart in terms of a new contract, and Henry is expected to sign elsewhere in free agency. The team is said to be interested in Austin Hooper.

Initial reports had the Pats interested in Baker Mayfield, but many feel that having to pony up $40M for a bridge QB would not make much sense. Besides Flacco and Brissett, they are said to be considering Minshew.

Mike Evans is said to only be considering teams, while Pittman and Ridley seem primed to resign with their current teams. Not many big impact receivers on the market beyond those guys.

Given the state of the roster, if they aren’t in love with whichever QB falls to 3, think it’s wise for them to bring in Flacco and Brissette (saw you earlier post) and either draft MHJ or trade down. Either way, that’s a better plan based on the state of your team IMO.

This is a team specific take because I’m a Washington fan and would want the opposite- take whichever one drops to 3. Could be wrong but that’s how I feel.

Marvin Harrison Jr is an immediate top 5 WR in the NFL and guaranteed future HOF. Best WR in the draft since Calvin Johnson. Any team in the top 3 that passes on both a QB and MHJ should fire their GM and associated staff.

The Pats and Hunter Henry are said to be too far apart in terms of a new contract, and Henry is expected to sign elsewhere in free agency. The team is said to be interested in Austin Hooper.

Initial reports had the Pats interested in Baker Mayfield, but many feel that having to pony up $40M for a bridge QB would not make much sense. Besides Flacco and Brissett, they are said to be considering Minshew.

Mike Evans is said to only be considering teams, while Pittman and Ridley seem primed to resign with their current teams. Not many big impact receivers on the market beyond those guys.
With Evans now signing with TB, you'd have to think a Baker deal with TB is coming in short order. Too expensive anyway.

Now there's chatter the first 4 picks could be QBs. McCarthy stock climbing. One mock already placing McCarthy to the pats.

Users who are viewing this thread