What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (2 Viewers)

Some of the sports talk people in town are jumping off of rooftops and going out of their minds. Some are predicting Tampa will have 10 more wins than NE this year. Not 10 wins. Ten MORE wins. As in 14 for Tampa and 4 for NE. If nothing else, this team will be so much more interesting to watch this year. 

Just added a big (340 big) O-lineman from Michigan...never gonna complain about that type of pick in the 6th round...gotta get deeper in that unit and hopefully a guy like this along with the two last year help accomplish that.

The Patriots scored 13 points in their most recent SB win. They lost SB’s scoring 14 and 17 points. Sure, Nick Foles had the game of his life and they lost to the Eagles. Overall, the defense has been pretty stout in the postseason. 
Nice pickin Dave, yep they only scored 13 points in their last SB win and their stout def "only" gave up 41 in their last SB loss. Which is worse only scoring "13" when your opponent scores 3 or giving up 41 when your offense scores 34? 

Now your turn, and you go all the way back to 2007 and 2011; ok I go back to 2006 afccc when their stout def gave up 38 to indy (the jabar gafney, reche caldwell era) to lose a game they were leading 21-3

Was the def stout in their last 2 SB wins?

How about the 31 pts given up to KC in the 2018 afccc?  

Not sure how you define "stout" (<21 ?) but if you look back at their last playoff game of every season in the 2000's you will find many games where the def was not what i or anyone else would call "stout". Some good efforts and some pretty bad efforts, some of them wins some losses.

Last edited by a moderator:
.... so far I'm not surprised they haven't taken a QB .... they'll grab some kid late that is barely on the radar ... but I am surprised they haven't taken an O-line yet.

To me, that was a major issue last season affecting both the run and passing game. Unless they're thinking everyone comes back healthy at the position?

No round 4 picks and only one round 5 pick. Going to be slim picking by the time they are able to make some hay in the 6th round.
Well, looks like they were listening. Got several warm bodies at O-Line on day 3.

Unfortunately Dante Scarnechia wont be there to polish these turds this time.

Gandalf said:
Yes baffling. The only answer I can think of is that Belichick wants to show the world he can turn Stidham into another Brady, thus proving it was him and not Brady who was responsible for all those Super Bowls. Or he has developed dementia...
The K may turn out to be the next Gostkowski, but he could have been had in the 7th round. This guy was not on most radars.

Would have preferred they take a shot at a WR (Proche I think was on the board possibly and was a prototypical patriot) or a QB in rounds 4-7. Clear need areas were WR and QB yet nothing. 

Media hyped up that QB from Florida Intl Morgan I believe. Was annoyed when the Jets of all teams grabbed him in the fourth. Maybe Bill was waiting for Morgan in the fifth.

NE_REVIVAL said:
Nice pickin Dave, yep they only scored 13 points in their last SB win and their stout def "only" gave up 41 in their last SB loss. Which is worse only scoring "13" when your opponent scores 3 or giving up 41 when your offense scores 34? 

Now your turn, and you go all the way back to 2007 and 2011; ok I go back to 2006 afccc when their stout def gave up 38 to indy (the jabar gafney, reche caldwell era) to lose a game they were leading 21-3

Was the def stout in their last 2 SB wins?

How about the 31 pts given up to KC in the 2018 afccc?  

Not sure how you define "stout" (<21 ?) but if you look back at their last playoff game of every season in the 2000's you will find many games where the def was not what i or anyone else would call "stout". Some good efforts and some pretty bad efforts, some of them wins some losses.
Yes.

They held the Rams to 3 points in the most recent SB win.

In the 34-28 win over Atlanta, the defense actually did a really good job, holding the Atlanta offense, which had scored 80 points in their first two playoff games, to 21 points (remember that 7 of Atlanta's points came off of Brady's pick-6), and of course made the game-changing play in the 4th quarter, the strip sack and fumble recovery when it was 28-12.  Maybe stout is not the right word for that game, but the defense deserves more props for that game for which they are given.

Well, looks like they were listening. Got several warm bodies at O-Line on day 3.

Unfortunately Dante Scarnechia wont be there to polish these turds this time.
That is a real x-factor in this rebuild...the days of turning college wrestlers and UDFA's into solid starters could be over...it's amazing when you look back at the past 20 years how many productive O lineman they have had and no doubt Dante was the driving force behind it...I am glad they added three rookies to go with the two they drafted last year, they also seem to have hope for the kid they got from Baltimore...it's gonna be real important for a couple of these kids to step-up...they can't have a situation like they did at LT last year, that was a disaster...with Thuney's contract, Andrew's medical situation, Wyn'ns reliability and Cannon starting to regress this unit needs to be deep this year.

Can anyone - anyone at all - explain to me the Belichick plan during this draft? I want to understand so I don’t lose my mind. Or do we all just root for Brady and Gronk and return to this team after they retire? 
Plan is to win games 6-0, 9-7 and 15-10 ... all the way to the SB

I am not really sure how “gone” Dante actually is. He retired before but they still used him as a consultant. He wasn’t there all the time, but he was there a lot. IIRC, he was around for a lot of training camp, worked one on one with guys in almost a private lesson setting, and was usually there once a week during the season. 

The first year he was “gone” was 2014, and they won the SB. Hopefully he still is involved part time again. 

Just reading that 2 years ago, 3rd rd pick Anfernee Jennings almost lost his leg after suffering a knee injury with artery damage and blood clots.

Why does BB love guys with bad knees? I don't think this kid fell because of the knee either ...

on the contrary, one could argue this was a reach looking at his stats, draft grade, and skill set.

Just reading that 2 years ago, 3rd rd pick Anfernee Jennings almost lost his leg after suffering a knee injury with artery damage and blood clots.

Why does BB love guys with bad knees? I don't think this kid fell because of the knee either ...

on the contrary, one could argue this was a reach looking at his stats, draft grade, and skill set.
BB has said several times the 2nd and 3rd rounds are the places to take risks. Guys that potentially could have had first round talent but fell for a variety of reasons. That’s how he views things, and he certainly his results have varied. 

Can anyone - anyone at all - explain to me the Belichick plan during this draft? I want to understand so I don’t lose my mind. Or do we all just root for Brady and Gronk and return to this team after they retire? 
It seems pretty obvious to me.

They had issues on offense the second half of last year. Edelman hobbled, Sanu transitioning mid year and Harry was an injured rookie.  The tight ends sucked and the running game was hindered because James white was their second best receiver but defenses just covered him like a wideout and when they had a different back in there, especially on an early down, it signaled they were more likely to run.  They got away with it when the team was healthy and the defense was playing at a historic level against bad teams but when they ran into the second half of the schedule and started getting injuries it was just a bad double whammy.  

This year they'd already lost Brady and they can't do anything about that, so they are going to go back to game manager mode at quarterback.  They took multiple tight ends instead of wide receivers because even if they added depth behind Harry, Edelman and Sanu - or slightly improved on them - they wouldn't be that much better on offense.  If stidham emerges as studham, great, invest at receiver. Until then they need to protect him and threaten with the running game.  That's why they spent relatively early picks on tight ends - they want to be able to use eleven personnel or even go big once in a while.  

That's not a sexy sounding offense.  But Michel looked a lot better in 2018 than last year, maybe he bounces back. In liked Damien Harris a lot coming out but we didn't get to see him.  White is a young quarterback's best friend. It's not a bad group if you're just trying to manage games.  It's just not very good. 

So they need defense.  They lost 4 starters on defense.  They spent 3 early picks replacing them.  Not all of those picks will work out, but they took high upside guys who fit what belichick wants.  Small school players are almost always boom/bust picks in the second round.  But they got some potential pass rush and some potential coverage to complement the guys they were able to retain and should be a strong defense again this year.  It's not realistic to think they'll be as good as they were the first half of last year, but they could and probably should still be among the top defenses in the league.  

Replacing gostkowski was important in all that.  They need field position and they need a reliable kicker, and they are saving millions this way.  

I think they intend to make a run this year.  And if they miss it will be because they didn't improve at quarterback.  But realistically, how often do second or third round quarterbacks pan out?  They're almost all busts.  You can name a lot more Geno Smiths than Drew Brees or Russell Wilsons. And they'll need to give whoever they start a lot of practice reps in a year when there's going to be issues getting people practice reps. It's just not realistic to have a camp competition this year. They've seen enough of stidham to say that he's their starter. Even though he might not end up having that high a ceiling they clearly think he's capable of managing games and taking a few shots.  Anything else you'll only find out by seeing him on the field.  If he plays well enough, he'll earn another shot.  

If he doesn't, but they're still in contention, they may still be able to lure a veteran who missed out on a starting gig. If you're Cam or Dalton, and don't get scooped up soon, you're probably not signing as a million dollar a year backup now.  You're waiting for injuries or failed starters. It's not unreasonable to hope one will still be around in October if the pats are 2-3 and stidham looks terrible.  

And worst case scenario, they get a good draft pick next year and take a shot at a qb then.  They obviously didn't think Fromm and Love were so good that they needed to reach on one this year to find out. 

If this does end up being a rebuild year, at least they peeled the bandaid and ate most of their dead money this year.  Next year they are wide open. 

I don't think this is a bad team in 2020. I'm not expecting a superbowl run but they could surprise.  

I'm fine with the Patriots not drafting a quarterback.

If a QB prospect isn't somebody who can potentially be a franchise QB, then it's a wasted pick in the Patriots current situation.

Too many teams reach and use high draft picks on quarterback prospects that never pan out but are given multiple years as a starter.

Going with Stidham/veteran and hoping for the best in the 2021 draft looks like the best option.

Develin retired, I think Keene was drafted as part of a replacement committee  
Expected but still too bad about Develin...helluva career for a UDFA out of Brown...he definitely got the most out of his talents and was a key member of three title teams.

It seems pretty obvious to me.

They had issues on offense the second half of last year. Edelman hobbled, Sanu transitioning mid year and Harry was an injured rookie.  The tight ends sucked and the running game was hindered because James white was their second best receiver but defenses just covered him like a wideout and when they had a different back in there, especially on an early down, it signaled they were more likely to run.  They got away with it when the team was healthy and the defense was playing at a historic level against bad teams but when they ran into the second half of the schedule and started getting injuries it was just a bad double whammy.  

This year they'd already lost Brady and they can't do anything about that, so they are going to go back to game manager mode at quarterback.  They took multiple tight ends instead of wide receivers because even if they added depth behind Harry, Edelman and Sanu - or slightly improved on them - they wouldn't be that much better on offense.  If stidham emerges as studham, great, invest at receiver. Until then they need to protect him and threaten with the running game.  That's why they spent relatively early picks on tight ends - they want to be able to use eleven personnel or even go big once in a while.  

That's not a sexy sounding offense.  But Michel looked a lot better in 2018 than last year, maybe he bounces back. In liked Damien Harris a lot coming out but we didn't get to see him.  White is a young quarterback's best friend. It's not a bad group if you're just trying to manage games.  It's just not very good. 

So they need defense.  They lost 4 starters on defense.  They spent 3 early picks replacing them.  Not all of those picks will work out, but they took high upside guys who fit what belichick wants.  Small school players are almost always boom/bust picks in the second round.  But they got some potential pass rush and some potential coverage to complement the guys they were able to retain and should be a strong defense again this year.  It's not realistic to think they'll be as good as they were the first half of last year, but they could and probably should still be among the top defenses in the league.  

Replacing gostkowski was important in all that.  They need field position and they need a reliable kicker, and they are saving millions this way.  

I think they intend to make a run this year.  And if they miss it will be because they didn't improve at quarterback.  But realistically, how often do second or third round quarterbacks pan out?  They're almost all busts.  You can name a lot more Geno Smiths than Drew Brees or Russell Wilsons. And they'll need to give whoever they start a lot of practice reps in a year when there's going to be issues getting people practice reps. It's just not realistic to have a camp competition this year. They've seen enough of stidham to say that he's their starter. Even though he might not end up having that high a ceiling they clearly think he's capable of managing games and taking a few shots.  Anything else you'll only find out by seeing him on the field.  If he plays well enough, he'll earn another shot.  

If he doesn't, but they're still in contention, they may still be able to lure a veteran who missed out on a starting gig. If you're Cam or Dalton, and don't get scooped up soon, you're probably not signing as a million dollar a year backup now.  You're waiting for injuries or failed starters. It's not unreasonable to hope one will still be around in October if the pats are 2-3 and stidham looks terrible.  

And worst case scenario, they get a good draft pick next year and take a shot at a qb then.  They obviously didn't think Fromm and Love were so good that they needed to reach on one this year to find out. 

If this does end up being a rebuild year, at least they peeled the bandaid and ate most of their dead money this year.  Next year they are wide open. 

I don't think this is a bad team in 2020. I'm not expecting a superbowl run but they could surprise.  
We better hope the defense scores a lot...

Local radio guys all over Bill Belichick for another questionable draft class.

One thing that is not being talked about, Chargers deserve a big fat bouquet for trading for that #23 pick.

... because if NE was not able to trade that pick, you just know they would have taken that same Div 2 Safety in that spot that they took in round 2.

Obviously NE's draft board is very different than the other 31 teams. Which is fine. They value character and intelligence over skill set and speed. Whatever...

... but I wonder why they don't use this to their advantage and get their guys late ... around where everyone else has them going.

Sometimes feels like they have no idea where these players are projected to go when they are drafting them a full round or two too early.

NE Draft day trades 2020

1) NE gives 1.23 ... to LAC for 2.05 and 3.07

Love this deal. Trade back and get your guy Kyle Dugger ... and picked up an early 3rd.

2) NE gives 3.07 and  3.27 ... to BAL for 2.28 and 4.23

Gave up a full round to move up 11 picks and draft Josh Uche. Ok, fair enough. Only 9 starts in his college career ... but that's because of his bad knee (meniscus & stress factor)  :rolleyes: . Belichick obviously concerned someone had their eye on him.

3) NE gives 3.36, 4.33, 5.27 ... to LVR for 3.27 and 5.14

Now here is where is starts to get weird. Pats swap 5ths and give a 4th for the right to move up 9 slots at the end of the 3rd round.

... GAVE UP A 4th ...which is what they got for Gronkowski ... to move up 9 slots ... to draft TE Devin Asiasi. Not Gronkowski for Asiasi ... Gronkowski to move up 9 slots.

First list that I googled has Asiasi ranked 9th in this TE draft class. With only one TE off the board to that point ...

was a trade up necessary to draft the 9th best prospect at the position? Did they really think Asiasi was about to be "scooped up" by someone else in the next 9 picks? Would they have been crushed if they had to settle for another TE ... like maybe the 2nd or 3rd best TE in this draft class?

4) NE give 4.19, 4.23 and 6th   ... to NYJ for 3.37

Now they're just getting silly. Give up another 4th and next years 6th to move up 1/2 a round and draft TE Dalton Keene. Not on the list of top 10 TE prospects. 

... yet they felt obligated to give up a 4th and 6th to move up and get this guy as the 4th TE off the board (or 1st FB if you'd rather) . 

Again, were other teams eyeing this guy that NE couldn't wait for him to fall to 4.19? Suppose it was house money with Gronk coming out of retirement and fetching you a bonus 4th rd pick ... but does that mean you just piss it away?

5) NE gives 212 and 213 ... to IND for 182

Fair enough this late

I love how good BB is at accumulating draft picks.  ... but it seems like he is content to just gift them away on draft day. So strange.

almost feels like BB owes "favors" to these other franchises ... "yeah Raiders, we got you good on that Randy Moss deal 15 years ago ... have some draft picks

To simplify it this, I've taken out the almost identical 3.36 and 3.37 picks from both sides:

This is what NE had after the first 2 trades and prior to the next 2 trades: 4 picks

2021 6th

after the next 2 trades: 2 picks

Maybe I'm missing something here but if not, any draft pick value chart is going to show this as lopsided as hell.

BB has said several times the 2nd and 3rd rounds are the places to take risks. Guys that potentially could have had first round talent but fell for a variety of reasons. That’s how he views things, and he certainly his results have varied. 
This has certainly been their m.o.

This year, Div 2 safety and both LB's with knee issues in college. Very strange strategy to "take risks" with your first 3 picks.

One could argue that ALL of the picks in the late rounds are risks as the odds of them contributing are typically much less than an early round pick.

Seems like they're swingin for the fences and popping up more times than not. "Can "o corn!"

NE Draft day trades 2020

1) NE gives 1.23 ... to LAC for 2.05 and 3.07

Love this deal. Trade back and get your guy Kyle Dugger ... and picked up an early 3rd.

2) NE gives 3.07 and  3.27 ... to BAL for 2.28 and 4.23

Gave up a full round to move up 11 picks and draft Josh Uche. Ok, fair enough. Only 9 starts in his college career ... but that's because of his bad knee (meniscus & stress factor)  :rolleyes: . Belichick obviously concerned someone had their eye on him.

3) NE gives 3.36, 4.33, 5.27 ... to LVR for 3.27 and 5.14

Now here is where is starts to get weird. Pats swap 5ths and give a 4th for the right to move up 9 slots at the end of the 3rd round.

... GAVE UP A 4th ...which is what they got for Gronkowski ... to move up 9 slots ... to draft TE Devin Asiasi. Not Gronkowski for Asiasi ... Gronkowski to move up 9 slots.

First list that I googled has Asiasi ranked 9th in this TE draft class. With only one TE off the board to that point ...

was a trade up necessary to draft the 9th best prospect at the position? Did they really think Asiasi was about to be "scooped up" by someone else in the next 9 picks? Would they have been crushed if they had to settle for another TE ... like maybe the 2nd or 3rd best TE in this draft class?

4) NE give 4.19, 4.23 and 6th   ... to NYJ for 3.37

Now they're just getting silly. Give up another 4th and next years 6th to move up 1/2 a round and draft TE Dalton Keene. Not on the list of top 10 TE prospects. 

... yet they felt obligated to give up a 4th and 6th to move up and get this guy as the 4th TE off the board (or 1st FB if you'd rather) . 

Again, were other teams eyeing this guy that NE couldn't wait for him to fall to 4.19? Suppose it was house money with Gronk coming out of retirement and fetching you a bonus 4th rd pick ... but does that mean you just piss it away?

5) NE gives 212 and 213 ... to IND for 182

Fair enough this late

I love how good BB is at accumulating draft picks.  ... but it seems like he is content to just gift them away on draft day. So strange.

almost feels like BB owes "favors" to these other franchises ... "yeah Raiders, we got you good on that Randy Moss deal 15 years ago ... have some draft picks
Yeah I don't mind him taking this guys out of leftfield that are off the radar, it's when they give up excess capital for them. And it's like they are every jumping 40+ spots or something, it's always these little dink and dunk 7-12 spot move ups. I don't get it. But can't argue the results I guess ...

Yeah I don't mind him taking this guys out of leftfield that are off the radar, it's when they give up excess capital for them. And it's like they are every jumping 40+ spots or something, it's always these little dink and dunk 7-12 spot move ups. I don't get it. But can't argue the results I guess ...
I remember some heated discussions both regionally and nationally about BB's relatively poor drafting record in recent years. It's hard to argue that they have done well the past several drafts. But at one point they had been to 4 out of 5 SB's and won 3 of them. So half the people were suggesting his draft record was so bad that NE should consider firing him, while the other half were suggesting they should waive the waiting period and just put him in the HOF as soon as he hangs 'em up. In this type of debate, it's possible for both to be right. Several other teams had hit on some key players and hadn't won anything, while NE hit on no one yet kept winning. Grading drafts as soon as they are completed is nothing but guess work, and it can take a few years to tell who were worthwhile selections and who were busts.

It is a very simple formula...when BB the GM gives BB the Coach the right the roster they win Championships when he doesn’t they don’t.

Boston said:
It is a very simple formula...when BB the GM gives BB the Coach the right the roster they win Championships when he doesn’t they don’t.
That’s a bit simplistic way of looking at it. Another way is that when the team has been healthy they have usually at least been in the Super Bowl (at least over the last ten years). Who knows what coulda, woulda, shoulda happened in the years they missed out. But the years they were healthy they advanced pretty far or won. I am not sure that had anything to do with BB the GM. 

For example, if the OL stayed intact all year, if Develin / Harry / Sanu didn’t get hurt. If Brown and Gordon stayed on the roster. Would we still be saying how anemic their offense was last year? Is that a BB the GM issue? Sure, one could argue that relying on Brown and Gordon was asking for trouble. But with those players would you look at that offense and conclude they would not be able to love the football?

That’s a bit simplistic way of looking at it. Another way is that when the team has been healthy they have usually at least been in the Super Bowl (at least over the last ten years). Who knows what coulda, woulda, shoulda happened in the years they missed out. But the years they were healthy they advanced pretty far or won. I am not sure that had anything to do with BB the GM. 

For example, if the OL stayed intact all year, if Develin / Harry / Sanu didn’t get hurt. If Brown and Gordon stayed on the roster. Would we still be saying how anemic their offense was last year? Is that a BB the GM issue? Sure, one could argue that relying on Brown and Gordon was asking for trouble. But with those players would you look at that offense and conclude they would not be able to love the football?
I don't think it is simplistic at all...yes, injuries can be a major issue as it is for every team (and BB usually builds his roster better then most to withstand it) but there have been years where they have had glaring needs that were not addressed and you knew it right at the start of the year...last year at TE was one of them...the year they lost at Indy when their WRs were putrid was another and there were many years in-between the titles where they had suspect CBs or a suspect pass rush and it was very easy to see that it had the chance to cost them right at the beginning of the year...overall BB is an excellent GM but I do think he sometimes thinks his coaching can overcome big flaws talentwise and in all honesty he will overcome that during the regular season but the playoffs can be a different story (which shows how high I am judging him right now)...also, the fact that TB12 has been the QB has put them in a position to overcome a lot and that is no longer the case, that can never be underestimated...so, this is a long way of getting back to yes, I do think it is pretty simple...if BB the GM is right on the Stidhams, D2 safeties and N'Keal Harrys of the world they will continue to challenge for titles but if not they are going to take a big step backwards because the TB12 break glass when needed option is no longer around. 

I don't think it is simplistic at all...yes, injuries can be a major issue as it is for every team (and BB usually builds his roster better then most to withstand it) but there have been years where they have had glaring needs and you knew it right at the start of the year...last year at TE was one of them, the year they lost at Indy when their WRs were putrid and there were many years in-between the titles where they had suspect CBs or a suspect pass rush and it was very easy to see that it had the chance to cost them right at the beginning of the year...overall BB is an excellent GM but I do think he sometimes thinks his coaching can overcome big flaws talentwise and in all honesty he will overcome that during the regular season but the playoffs can be a different story (which shows how high I am judging him right now)...also, the fact that TB12 has been the QB has put them in a position to overcome a lot and that is no longer the case, that can never be underestimated...so, this is a long way of getting back to yes, I do think it is pretty simple...if BB the GM is right on the Stidhams, D2 safeties and N'Keal Harrys of the world they will continue to challenge for titles but if not they are going to take a big step backwards because the TB12 break glass when needed is no longer around. 
Some things are simple, some things are not. Last year, BB tried to work to bring Gronk back and couldn't. It is said NE was close to agreeing to terms with Jared Cook, but he refused to sign with NE unless Gronk was totally out of the picture. Gronk took his time in deciding and ultimately retired, and by then Cook had moved on. There really weren't any suitable options on the market or the horizon then. I agree that by the time the season rolled around that TE was a huge chasm and a never ending pit of despair. He should have at least drafted another body as a tight end. But he almost had either Gronk or Cook. Unfortunately both fell through. That's different than BB just deciding to ignore the position and not even try to bring in anyone else.

BB will be the first to tell you that injuries happen and that's not an acceptable excuse. But if the OL and Develin stayed healthy, they had Brown / Gordon / Edelman / Sanu at receiver and Gronk back at TE . . . how would the offense have fared? Leave Gronk out of it . . . they should have had a much more potent offense than that.

Trust me, I fully acknowledge has had any number of poor draft picks, strange decisions, and things that didn't make much sense then or now. (My initial comments were aimed at the 2010's not prior in terms of how far they advanced with health / injuries being one of the biggest determining factors of post season success.)

Regardless of all that, IMO, it made more sense to stick with Stidham for $833K this year than having to guarantee Brady $50-60 million . . . especially when he didn't want to be there anymore. We may have to agree to disagree on how  much Brady would continue to able to be the "break glass when needed" player that he was previously. I don't think he added that much to the offense last year. The defense allowed in the teens or fewer points in 13 games last year. The only game they lost of those was against the Titans in the playoffs. The point being Brady, Stidham, or another QB should be able to scratch out enough points to win those type of games. (If you want to suggest that the defense won't be allowing as few points this year due to being weaker, having a tougher schedule, or having more turnovers on offense, I won't fight you on any of those as potential possibilities.)

As I mentioned in one of the threads, I don't think that with better health and the skill position players they have on offense, that combination could in itself make the offense move the ball better than last year. It's no secret at this point that NE is going defense, special teams, run game, conservative passing to try to win, with the hopes of getting opponents to cough up the football. I agree that that strategy can only get them so far and they will need Stidham to step up and have a scoring drive when they have to have it on occasion. But I don't think they need him to pass for 4800/32 to be able to win games. Another thing I expect will be a benefit to NE will be that they could end up being a lot harder to game plan against. With a lot of different faces on the field, teams will have a harder time figuring out what they will do on both sides of the ball. 

We will have to wait and see how things will be with regard to receiver separation. Sanu and Edelman probably should have been sitting last year because they were so banged up. Harry was up against it having to get integrated into the offense mid-season. Meyers worked well with Stidham in the preseason, so maybe there is something to work with there. And if Lee is healthy, he might be able to chip in. A walking zombie could do more than the TE position did last year, so the rookies should be able to best last year's TE output (which isn't saying much). If any of that works out better than last year, that would give White more chance to operate with some space out of the backfield. And maybe forgotten man Harris can do something. Yes, I am fully aware, there are about a dozen ifs in all of that. But we could see receiving totals like we saw in the early 00s when they had no one with standout numbers but 8 guys with 400+ yards receiving.

Bottom line, we have no idea how well they will do, and they could win 6 games or 12 games and either one wouldn't shock me.

For me, it's not who Bill is taking as much as WHERE he is taking them.

You like guys with bad knees? Fine. Sometimes you get a Derick Rivers, sometimes you get a Sony Michele.

and 2 LBs this year. We'll see.

But if You want the #9 TE and a FB? By all means, have them. But don't piss away 2 4th round draft pick to move up and draft them where no other GM was even considering either one. (Allegedly)

But like Bill says ... There's lots of ways to build your roster.

Bill Belichick = greatest coach ever

Bill Belichick = average GM

You like guys with bad knees? Fine. Sometimes you get a Derick Rivers, sometimes you get a Sony Michele.

But if You want the #9 TE and a FB? By all means, have them. But don't piss away 2 4th round draft pick to move up and draft them where no other GM was even considering either one. (Allegedly)

Yeah it certainly seems like a lot of these guys would have been there if they were just patient

I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong. Sure, his drafting record is all over the map. But he got guys like Seymour, Mankins, Wilfork, Mayo, Solder, Jones, Hightower, and McCourty in the first round. Guys like Gronk, Light, Jimmy G, Collins, Vollmer, Branch, Chung, and Thuney in Rounds 2-3. And in later rounds players like Brady, Edelman, Cannon, Koppen, Samuel, White, Flowers, Hernandez, etc. Yes, BB also has a long trail of bums he drafted that did absolutely nothing in the league (so do a lot of other teams and GM's). No need to list the names, I am well aware.

As a comparison, the Colts have been lauded for having great drafts and selected tons of impact players over the same timeframe as NE has been good. With all those great players that they have taken, they have won 1 SB . . . and that was 14 years ago. Drafting is only one piece of the puzzle.

BB has made masterful trades and acquisitions over the years. He added guys like Moss, Welker, Dillon, Revis, etc. Taken guys that were nobodies in other organizations and made them productive in NE. Found UDFA's and outcasts that became huge contributors. He has gamed the compensatory pick system into the gift that keeps on giving every year. Most importantly, he has managed the salary cap better than anyone else ever has . . . I don't think that is even debatable . . . everyone else is vying for second place in the salary cap management category. No one else has been able to get as much out of a team for what they were paying players. And he's been able to do that for decades.

If people want to say Brady has been playing at a deep discount, go ahead and say it (it's not really true, though). Brady has taken most of his money over the years in either upfront signing bonuses or by converting salary into bonuses to shift cap dollars . . . meaning that his low annual salaries completely exaggerate how much money he made. People would see his salary listed as $13 or $14 million when other QB's were getting $27 or $28 million and say he was playing for 50% of the market. Except NE already paid him $10 million in cash, added incentives, or gave him additional bonus money . . . none of which was listed as salary. In reality, Brady was making $23 or $24 million and taking a slight discount.

There was a different thread where we went through and recalculated what Brady made over the course of his career, and he usually was averaged $3-4 million a year under what he could have been making. That difference doesn't go far in staffing a roster. That probably allowed the Patriots to have a better special teamer or a better backup lineman. But it wasn't anywhere near the flexibility that people have been raving about for years. Yes, Brady helped the team out along the way, but it's not like he was taking WAYYYYYY less money as is the perception.

If you want to say that BB = average drafter, I can get on board with that much more easily than I can BB = average GM.

Come-on Bossman, he may drive us crazy with some of the stuff you hit on but he is better then average...I mean who else has figured out the key to winning championships is obtaining as many Rutgers players as possible...in all seriousness, for 20 years he has been doing a great job with the salary cap...little tight this year but next year and the following years they are in great shape...also, I think the most underrated part of what he has done is he is almost perfect when letting guys walk, it is very rare when he has been wrong with the timing of letting guys go no matter how many times people have panicked about losing someone...as far as UDFA's he has done some amazing work and he has done a very good job at identifying guys who were under-utilized on their former teams...I just think there are times (and you are kind of touching on it) when it feels like he is going out of his way to be different or to zig when the media is telling him to zag...every GM misses on a ton of draft picks, I just hate when he makes one like Tavon Wilson, Ras-I-Dowling, Jordan Richards or Damion Easley...guys with huge question marks that he reaches for when he absolutely does not have to and then they are complete busts...that drives me crazy...just make the easy pick, you don't have to try to go outside of the box just to do it...the good news for BB the GM is by having BB the Coach and TB12 the QB they have been in a great position to overcome some of these misses, the question is now that Brady is gone just how much smaller has that room for error got?  We are gonna find out this year because this team is the most vulnerable they have been since the first Super Bowl team...if Stidham is not the answer and this draft class and the other young players of the past two draft classes doesn't hit they have a chance to take a very big step backwards...very big.

I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong. Sure, his drafting record is all over the map. But he got guys like Seymour, Mankins, Wilfork, Mayo, Solder, Jones, Hightower, and McCourty in the first round. Guys like Gronk, Light, Jimmy G, Collins, Vollmer, Branch, Chung, and Thuney in Rounds 2-3. And in later rounds players like Brady, Edelman, Cannon, Koppen, Samuel, White, Flowers, Hernandez, etc. Yes, BB also has a long trail of bums he drafted that did absolutely nothing in the league (so do a lot of other teams and GM's). No need to list the names, I am well aware.

As a comparison, the Colts have been lauded for having great drafts and selected tons of impact players over the same timeframe as NE has been good. With all those great players that they have taken, they have won 1 SB . . . and that was 14 years ago. Drafting is only one piece of the puzzle.

BB has made masterful trades and acquisitions over the years. He added guys like Moss, Welker, Dillon, Revis, etc. Taken guys that were nobodies in other organizations and made them productive in NE. Found UDFA's and outcasts that became huge contributors. He has gamed the compensatory pick system into the gift that keeps on giving every year. Most importantly, he has managed the salary cap better than anyone else ever has . . . I don't think that is even debatable . . . everyone else is vying for second place in the salary cap management category. No one else has been able to get as much out of a team for what they were paying players. And he's been able to do that for decades.

If people want to say Brady has been playing at a deep discount, go ahead and say it (it's not really true, though). Brady has taken most of his money over the years in either upfront signing bonuses or by converting salary into bonuses to shift cap dollars . . . meaning that his low annual salaries completely exaggerate how much money he made. People would see his salary listed as $13 or $14 million when other QB's were getting $27 or $28 million and say he was playing for 50% of the market. Except NE already paid him $10 million in cash, added incentives, or gave him additional bonus money . . . none of which was listed as salary. In reality, Brady was making $23 or $24 million and taking a slight discount.

There was a different thread where we went through and recalculated what Brady made over the course of his career, and he usually was averaged $3-4 million a year under what he could have been making. That difference doesn't go far in staffing a roster. That probably allowed the Patriots to have a better special teamer or a better backup lineman. But it wasn't anywhere near the flexibility that people have been raving about for years. Yes, Brady helped the team out along the way, but it's not like he was taking WAYYYYYY less money as is the perception.

If you want to say that BB = average drafter, I can get on board with that much more easily than I can BB = average GM.
As usual i agree with much of what u r saying but it so often seems u just cant leave well enuf alone and keep coming back to the same narrative/theme, again and again and again (must denigrate brady some how some way). I dont know who the straw men are (claiming huge discounts) nor do I want to argue semantics over deep discount or way less. I would only point out that 3-4 mil a yr is a significant amount of money every yr to help get 1 or 2 or more players that can make a difference on a team. If the BB/Brady era has taught me anything it is little things mean a lot, you know like all the little things brady does that bledsoe couldn't/wouldn't. Signing FAs like Phifer, Pleasant, Vrabel and many others over the yrs can make a difference.

I agree BB not a great drafter, but very good to great GM,  but disagree that taking a couple\few mil less doesn't really help and call bs on that.

As usual i agree with much of what u r saying but it so often seems u just cant leave well enuf alone and keep coming back to the same narrative/theme, again and again and again (must denigrate brady some how some way). I dont know who the straw men are (claiming huge discounts) nor do I want to argue semantics over deep discount or way less. I would only point out that 3-4 mil a yr is a significant amount of money every yr to help get 1 or 2 or more players that can make a difference on a team. If the BB/Brady era has taught me anything it is little things mean a lot, you know like all the little things brady does that bledsoe couldn't/wouldn't. Signing FAs like Phifer, Pleasant, Vrabel and many others over the yrs can make a difference.

I agree BB not a great drafter, but very good to great GM,  but disagree that taking a couple\few mil less doesn't really help and call bs on that.
The way BB values special teamers that 3-4 mil is that much more important to him...it allows him to get those binkies he loves so much.

Power rankings = click bait. I whole heartedly admit to that and understand that. So far this off season, in perusing the bevy of power rankings out there, I have seen the Patriots ranked as high as #7 (Yahoo and Sporting News) and as low as #24 (someone from Bleacher Report). And of course, all things in between.

Andy Dalton released.

Does BB really believe in Stidham? We may find out if Dalton is available for peanuts. Apparently, JAX also interested so that could drive the price up a bit.

Andy Dalton released.

Does BB really believe in Stidham? We may find out if Dalton is available for peanuts. Apparently, JAX also interested so that could drive the price up a bit.
I don’t believe NE is all that interested. Today’s rumor started from a CIN reporter.

Dalton doesn't make much sense. NE is in a perfect position to be a major underdog in a prove-it year for a few key, young players. Roll with it and give them a chance to grow and develop together. 

With the deadline for qualifying free agents now passed, NE will earn 3rd, 4th, and 4th round compensatory picks next year for losing Brady, Van Noy, and Collins. 

Colin Cowherd predictions for the AFC East. Bills and Jets tie for first. Dolphins a game back. Patriots not even close to everyone else. 

Users who are viewing this thread