What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite New England Patriots Thread (1 Viewer)

Any movement on the OL to wory about?
Nothing to worry about ... but The Patriots release guard Tre' Jackson.

Seems odd that they would give up on the 2015 4th rd pick after 2 seasons. Especially for a team that likes their OL dept.

Seems his injuries (knees?) made him not worth rostering.

I would think the Pats would use one of their first picks (3rd rd?) on OL.

Nothing to worry about ... but The Patriots release guard Tre' Jackson.

Seems odd that they would give up on the 2015 4th rd pick after 2 seasons. Especially for a team that likes their OL dept.

Seems his injuries (knees?) made him not worth rostering.

I would think the Pats would use one of their first picks (3rd rd?) on OL.
Rams released him right afterwards as well so it would appear the kid maybe damaged goods already...

The number of solid backs coupled with their ability to catch out of the back field will give the offense a lot of flexibility. Wishbone anyone?? I can see them lining up multiple backs in the backfield and flexing backs out to receiver positions a lot. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with :popcorn:  

The number of solid backs coupled with their ability to catch out of the back field will give the offense a lot of flexibility. Wishbone anyone?? I can see them lining up multiple backs in the backfield and flexing backs out to receiver positions a lot. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with :popcorn:  
The question will become who do they want on the field in crunch time (if they are all healthy). One would assume they would send out Gronk, Cooks, Edelman, and White on key passing downs. That leaves one spot left for: Hogan, Mitchell, Amendola, Allen, Lewis, Burkhead, and Gillislee.

The question will become who do they want on the field in crunch time (if they are all healthy). One would assume they would send out Gronk, Cooks, Edelman, and White on key passing downs. That leaves one spot left for: Hogan, Mitchell, Amendola, Allen, Lewis, Burkhead, and Gillislee.
Anyone in for the 11 man skill position offense?

QB: Brady

O-Line: Gronk, Allen, Burkhead, Gillislee, and Mitchell

WR: Cooks, Hogan, and Edelman

RB: White, Lewis

...Amendola still doesn't make it on the field. 

As a Dion Lewis owner in multiple dynasty leagues I don't feel good about what his role might be in 2017.  With the White extension and the free agent signings I find it hard to believe that Lewis isn't on another team in 2018.  He would be the easiest to cut from a dead money standpoint but is also very affordable to keep at around $1.5 million for 2017.

As a Dion Lewis owner in multiple dynasty leagues I don't feel good about what his role might be in 2017.  With the White extension and the free agent signings I find it hard to believe that Lewis isn't on another team in 2018.  He would be the easiest to cut from a dead money standpoint but is also very affordable to keep at around $1.5 million for 2017.
Agreed. He is going to have to wow to have a consistent role. He's too similar to James White but with added injury risk.

It's really a scary amount of weapons that gives the offense a LOT of flexibility. 

Given the log jam at rb the Patriots have I wouldn’t be shocked to see Lewis on another team in 2017.

I know this has been debated ad nauseam ...

but I think NE not trading JG yesterday (or today) is the beginning of the end for Brady.

Brady says that he wants to play 4 or 6 more seasons but obviously BB doesn't expect that to happen ... otherwise keeping JG until he can no longer be kept is pointless.

Maybe there has been communication from Brady to BB that he's retiring after this season ... but everything Brady says publicly is conflicting.

... or maybe BB goes full "cold hearted Belichick" and trades a 41 year old Brady after next season. Even though it might be the smart move for the team, I just couldn't see this happening ... or the Krafts allowing it to happen.

but I think NE not trading JG yesterday (or today) is the beginning of the end for Brady.

Brady says that he wants to play 4 or 6 more seasons but obviously BB doesn't expect that to happen ... otherwise keeping JG until he can no longer be kept is pointless.

Maybe there has been communication from Brady to BB that he's retiring after this season ... but everything Brady says publicly is conflicting.

... or maybe BB goes full "cold hearted Belichick" and trades a 41 year old Brady after next season. Even though it might be the smart move for the team, I just couldn't see this happening ... or the Krafts allowing it to happen.
Or maybe they just wanted to have a quality back up and revisit the situation a year from know. A lot can change in a year. Maybe Brady looks mortal or gets hurt. Maybe JG has to play and stinks up the joint. Maybe they opt to trade Garoppolo next year. Maybe the Pats win another title and TB12 retires. There are a lot of potential outcomes.

I think BB is just hedging his bets that a 40yo QB could miss a few games and he doesn't want to derail his chance at a repeat. I think he knows if he bookends his career with another 3 rings in 4 years run then he does down in history as best ever. I think this season means a lot to him.

Plus, they can still get value for Jimmy G by franchise and flipping him in 2018.

Whew lads, with their first pick of the 2017 draft the Pats select Derek Rivers, Youngstown EDGE. Sick pick.

4.6 forty, 2nd fastest 3 cone of all pass rushers in this class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly what they needed with actual elite potential. Freakish like Collins but much better on the line.

Speed Rush

Spider Graph

Was really hoping the Pats would take Rivers, Ebakum or Hendrickson. They will have several shots at Ebakum/Hendrickson i feel like. Carl Lawson, surprisingly still on the board also, potential day 3 target if they wanna dip back in for front 7.

RIP Hendrickson gone to the Saints

Here's who the Pats ended up with out of the "draft" . . . (the pick numbers from trades might be off).

#32 WR Brandin Cooks NOS
#64 DL Kony Ealy CAR
#83 DE Derek Rivers Youngstown State
#85 OT Antonio Garcia Troy
#131 DE Deatrich Wise Arkansas
#137 TE Dwayne Allen IND
#163 RB Mike Gillislee BUF
#183 TE James O'Shaugnessy KCC
#211 OT Conor McDermott UCLA

UDFA (So far)
TE Jake Hollister WyomingWR Cody Hollister Arkansas
DE
 Corey Vereen TennesseeG Jason King PurdueDT Adam Butler VanderbiltOT Cole Croston IowaWR Austin Carr NorthwesternDT Josh Augusta MissouriLB Harvey Langi BYUFS Jason Thompson UtahCB Kenny Moore Valdosta StateCB D.J. Killings Central Florida
OL Greg Pyke Georgia
SS Damarius Travis Minnesota
DB David Jones Richmond
DB Dwayne Thomas LSU
RB LeShun Daniels Iowa
OL Max Rich Harvard
DT Adam Butler Vanderbilt

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Here's who the Pats ended up with out of the "draft" . . . (the pick numbers from trades might be off).

#32 WR Brandin Cooks NOS
#64 DL Kony Ealy CAR
#137 TE Dwayne Allen IND
Any way you cut it, I think this draft will have been one of their best. 3 different kind of DL players (very excited about Rivers), all fit existing molds in NE. 2 Tackles, that they desperately need some depth for. Two TEs, they needed. Someone to replace Blount that we have tons of tape on. Brandin ####### Cooks.

I like the Patriots draft a lot in the short run, but in the long run I’m a little concerned that they aren’t getting quality players on their rookie deals...Yes, getting a stud wr like Cooks for the 32nd pick (a glorified 2nd round choice) is great for the next two years, but if they had taken a rookie at 32 they would have that player under on his rookie deal for a much longer period of time.

The best player of the bunch is Cooks, but the best value may turn out to be Mike Gillislee. The Bills GM got fired for a reason. Gillslee really has the potential to blow up in New England. I think the Patriots getting him for a 5th round choice was highway robbery and yet another example as why the Patriots are the Patriots and the Bills are the Bills.

Kony Ealy may come to NE and live up to his potential or he may not (I betting that he is just another guy) but he also represents good value for the Patriots. They didn’t really give up a 2nd round choice for him, they simply dropped eight spots in the draft.

The Dwayne Allen move was solid, but not spectacular. Allen has potential (great blocker) but is a clear downgrade from Martellus Bennett. Allen will most likely have to perform at a high level for the Patriots as Rob Gronkowski will go down with his annual season ending injury at some point. Remember, the Patriots don’t win the SB without Martellus Bennett last season.

Rivers,Garcia + Wise seem like solid/ decent mid round depth picks, but we won’t really know their worth for at least a couple of years.

I concur that Bayless is an idiot . . . but in this case he may not be wrong. I'm not sure the gap between NE and the rest of the league is quite as large as Bayless suggests, but at least on paper they look to be at the head of the class.

When you consider that . . .

2013 - Went 12-4 and advanced to the AFCCG with half the team injured and others battered
2014 - Won the SB
2015 - Started off 10-0 before the barrage of injuries set in
2016 - Won the SB
2017 - Added Cooks, Gillislee, Burkhead, Clark with Gronk coming back . . . lost Bennett and Blount on offense. Kept most of the defense together and added Gilmore and other pieces while losing Ryan, Long, and Sheard. Also kept the coaching staff intact.

They have a stocked roster, depth, and the best coaching in the game. They should be favorites. They also appear to have better strengths and fewer weaknesses than the other top teams, but we are still 4 months away from playing any live football.

If healthy, they are always a threat to win it all and in the Top 3 teams. The question is . . . can they stay healthy.

I concur that Bayless is an idiot . . . but in this case he may not be wrong. I'm not sure the gap between NE and the rest of the league is quite as large as Bayless suggests, but at least on paper they look to be at the head of the class.

When you consider that . . .

2013 - Went 12-4 and advanced to the AFCCG with half the team injured and others battered
2014 - Won the SB
2015 - Started off 10-0 before the barrage of injuries set in
2016 - Won the SB
2017 - Added Cooks, Gillislee, Burkhead, Clark with Gronk coming back . . . lost Bennett and Blount on offense. Kept most of the defense together and added Gilmore and other pieces while losing Ryan, Long, and Sheard. Also kept the coaching staff intact.

They have a stocked roster, depth, and the best coaching in the game. They should be favorites. They also appear to have better strengths and fewer weaknesses than the other top teams, but we are still 4 months away from playing any live football.

If healthy, they are always a threat to win it all and in the Top 3 teams. The question is . . . can they stay healthy.
Well said.. I'm just curious if they're worthy to be considered biggest favorites of all time. At 3.6:1 currently that's insane. 

I can't find historical data on biggest preseason favorites overall, but the biggest pre-season favorites to win it all since 2001 were at +600, twice the patriots and once the 2006 Colts. 

#32 WR Brandin Cooks NOS
#64 DL Kony Ealy CAR
#137 TE Dwayne Allen IND

UDFA (So far)
DE
 Corey Vereen TennesseeG Jason King PurdueDT Adam Butler VanderbiltOT Cole Croston IowaWR Austin Carr NorthwesternDT Josh Augusta MissouriLB Harvey Langi BYUFS Jason Thompson UtahCB Kenny Moore Valdosta StateCB D.J. Killings Central Florida
OL Greg Pyke Georgia
DB David Jones Richmond
DB Dwayne Thomas LSU
RB LeShun Daniels Iowa
OL Max Rich Harvard

This list is obviously wrong.

I see no one from Rutgers on it.

It is amazing to think about, kept Butler (fingers crossed) added some good weapons, kept jimmy G......... downgraded at TE you could say but at least Allen is good if healthy, Gronk is the best if healthy. It will be an interesting year for sure.

Butler at voluntary workouts. :thumbup:
Yeah... this defense might be pretty dangerous. The offense... well, that goes without saying if they stay healthy. 

I guess winning 12-14 games a year got boring... so maybe they're going for some sort of scoring differential record. 

Yeah... this defense might be pretty dangerous. The offense... well, that goes without saying if they stay healthy. 

I guess winning 12-14 games a year got boring... so maybe they're going for some sort of scoring differential record. 

The defense will be better this year but will probably give up more points. They play some real offenses/QB's this year. The offense will be unstoppable if they manage to hold on to the football (see the first half of the SB as how things can go wrong). And it goes without saying everyone needs to stays healthy. Always a big if. If the defense goes into ball hawking / turnover mode, there will be a few games that will get way out of hand. Like 52-10. For some teams, playing NE will be their Super Bowl, so they will see some best efforts of the season from otherwise mediocre teams (the Jets as an example). I would set the over/under for Gillislee in the game in BUF at 150 yards and 2 TD.

The defense will be better this year but will probably give up more points. They play some real offenses/QB's this year. The offense will be unstoppable if they manage to hold on to the football (see the first half of the SB as how things can go wrong). And it goes without saying everyone needs to stays healthy. Always a big if. If the defense goes into ball hawking / turnover mode, there will be a few games that will get way out of hand. Like 52-10. For some teams, playing NE will be their Super Bowl, so they will see some best efforts of the season from otherwise mediocre teams (the Jets as an example). I would set the over/under for Gillislee in the game in BUF at 150 yards and 2 TD.
TD Mike is going to destroy us this year... Ugh

Like every year?

#32 WR Brandin Cooks NOS
#64 DL Kony Ealy CAR
#137 TE Dwayne Allen IND

UDFA (So far)
DE
 Corey Vereen TennesseeG Jason King PurdueOT Cole Croston IowaWR Austin Carr NorthwesternDT Josh Augusta MissouriLB Harvey Langi BYUFS Jason Thompson UtahCB Kenny Moore Valdosta StateCB D.J. Killings Central Florida
OL Greg Pyke Georgia
DB David Jones Richmond
DB Dwayne Thomas LSU
RB LeShun Daniels Iowa
OL Max Rich Harvard

To update the UDFA list . . .

OL Greg Pyke Georgia ended up signing with BUF.

Pats also added:

LB Ellis Brooks (Arkansas)
OT Andrew Jelks (Vanderbilt)

Users who are viewing this thread