What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Imagine you are a HS football star- Which U did you commit to? (1 Viewer)

Chadstroma

Footballguy
If (or when) you were a big time football star in HS which school would you pick and why? Assume you get offers from all your top schools that you would consider.

For myself, it is easy. Notre Dame.

It is easy because it has everything plus I am a big fan. It is a big time school and program with a long rich history. You have a national stage and can make your name for yourself for the NFL draft. You also earn a degree that carries weight in the real world as well. Big and committed alumni for networking and opportunities after football.

The only negatives that I can think of other locations that would be more appealing as a college student (UCLA/USC, Miami, Florida, etc) and ND does not exactly rank on top in terms of numbers of hot girls.

I would pass on places like Miami and LA, just because there are MUCH MUCH bigger fish in those ponds. I would stay maybe somewhere temperate, 2-a-days in the horrible conditions in the South would be ####ty, but I guess it's hot everywhere in the Summer. I have to think somewhere like Norman or Lincoln would be good. I just hate the South despite having lived here most of my adult life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would pass on places like Miami and LA, just because there are MUCH MUCH bigger fish in those ponds. I would stay maybe somewhere temperate, 2-a-days in the horrible conditions in the South would be ####ty, but I guess it's hot everywhere in the Summer. I have to think somewhere like Norman or Lincoln would be good. I just hate the South despite having lived here most of my adult life.
So... Nebraska?

So... Nebraska?
Well, just thinking that I want to max my chances of moving to the next level but I might also want to be the biggest thing for miles around. I also enjoy changes of seasons. So yeah somewhere in the Midwest but not too far North might be good.

That said, Hawaii was just mentioned and that might tick enough boxes since it's pretty weather all year long.

i'd probably go to a major B10 program- I like football season to feel like football season.. plus there is plenty of exposure and prime time opportunities

The 40 year old me says whoever can get me the best education. Of course, that rarely, if ever comes into play for the stud athlete. Probably somewhere like Stanford. This of course assumes you can hack it academically.

UTNA

All joking aside you have to pick something like Arizona, Arizona State, UNLV, USC or something with ridiculous weather and ridiculous females, right?

I don't know if Pepperdine has a football team. Assuming it doesn't, my honest answer would be Harvard or Stanford. Of course if I were really good and looking for short term rewards then usc, ole miss, Alabama, Oregon, and asu would all be great options because of their programs and the likely notoriety their programs get you. Weather makes the third factor there.

Harvard, or some other elite school. If I'm good enough to play in the NFL, they will find me. If not, I have a Harvard degree to start my life with.

My answer would depend on which position I play. One, what's the depth chart look like? Am I going to be able to play immediately or at least by Soph year? Two, some schools are more well known for producing NFL talent at particular positions.

I don't know if Pepperdine has a football team. Assuming it doesn't, my honest answer would be Harvard or Stanford. Of course if I were really good and looking for short term rewards then usc, ole miss, Alabama, Oregon, and asu would all be great options because of their programs and the likely notoriety their programs get you. Weather makes the third factor there.
pepperdine is the dream i have for my son.

For me, the 18 year old me would have chosen to play in Happy Valley for Joe Paterno and Penn State. Great teams, hot women, one of (if not the) largest alumni bases in the country with an opportunity to play in the NFL as I would be on TV constantly.

Now? I might still go with PSU, but I might widen my search to Alabama, Texas A&M and Wisconsin.

Harvard, or some other elite school. If I'm good enough to play in the NFL, they will find me. If not, I have a Harvard degree to start my life with.
Stanford.

Same respected school without feeling like a dbag when you tell people your alma mater.

I'm dropping my answer and going with this.
IIRC, Ivy League schools don't offer athletic scholarships.
Harvard is a placeholder for whatever elite school I would want to attend. I have no idea what I'd want to go in to if I went back in time to being 18 again and having the world as my oyster.

Besides, I'm taking the basic premis of the original post that I'm an elite talent. I'm sure if I could get into Harvard, they'd find a way to get me an academic or need based scholarship.

Harvard is a placeholder for whatever elite school I would want to attend. I have no idea what I'd want to go in to if I went back in time to being 18 again and having the world as my oyster.

Besides, I'm taking the basic premis of the original post that I'm an elite talent. I'm sure if I could get into Harvard, they'd find a way to get me an academic or need based scholarship.
Yes, I was more in the "or other elite school" camp. Stanford seems like a solid choice.

My answer would depend on which position I play. One, what's the depth chart look like? Am I going to be able to play immediately or at least by Soph year? Two, some schools are more well known for producing NFL talent at particular positions.
This. Though as much as I'd like to think I'd stay loyal to my hometown Badgers a young, probably very cocky version of myself, may have a different opinion once I got on campus at a place like Gainesville or Austin.

Stanford's your go-to, given your criteria.

I knew a lot of elite-athlete/mediocre-students who went there. Less so in the ivies, where the best athletes in the big sports were not elite but were still decent (not elite) students.

My top 3

USC/Texas/Michigan

Total package of tier 1 athletics/academics/sorority video quality.

Gun to my head I'd probably go Texas, but it would be close.

Stanford's your go-to, given your criteria.

I knew a lot of elite-athlete/mediocre-students who went there. Less so in the ivies, where the best athletes in the big sports were not elite but were still decent (not elite) students.
The shortlist is probably something like this:

Standford

Norte Dame

Northwestern

Duke

Obviously there are more to consider, but these I think would be tops from an academic standpoint with a football team which would be, while not a power, not a laughingstock either.

Incredible campus and good school. I wish 17 year old me would have explored it.

USC without a doubt. Hot chicks, great weather, great football program and ranked 25th for academics in US News.
OVER RATED! clap clap clap clap clap OVER RATED!!!

Unless you do film or other entertainment related programs.
Tied for 25th in business with coincidentally ND
OVER RATED!
We talking about USC's business program now or ND's football team?

Incredible campus and good school. I wish 17 year old me would have explored it.
Most beautiful campus anywhere.

USC without a doubt. Hot chicks, great weather, great football program and ranked 25th for academics in US News.
OVER RATED! clap clap clap clap clap OVER RATED!!!

Unless you do film or other entertainment related programs.
Tied for 25th in business with coincidentally ND
OVER RATED!
chicks are prude

Take it from a Californian...UCSB is where it's at.

Most beautiful campus anywhere.
I visited Pepperdine my senior year of high school but saw the cars in the parking lot. I didn't grow up wanting, but I knew there would be a whole different scene on the cliffs of Malibu. Holy crikey. That place was beautiful. So, incidentally, was Occidental's campus.

As for the question, I'd probably choose Orgeon or Miami, and maybe USC. I wouldn't really worry about a degree that much. It's what you do when you're there that counts. I'd more worry about how much the athletic department would encroach upon my schoolwork.

USC sold that land to Pepperdine I was told. If so, that was dumb. Let's see, Watts or Malibu? We'll take Watts!

I visited Pepperdine my senior year of high school but saw the cars in the parking lot. I didn't grow up wanting, but I knew there would be a whole different scene on the cliffs of Malibu. Holy crikey. That place was beautiful. So, incidentally, was Occidental's campus.
You expected an empty parking lot?

Would depend on the coaching, facilities, campus, teammates, girls. Absolutely impossible to say.

It seems like it'd be pretty ####### cool to play for a bigtime SEC school though.

Users who are viewing this thread