What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm starting Laurence Maroney over _______ . (1 Viewer)

If I get him, over LeSean McCoy in one, FWP in another

Why, no, I don't have any RB depth, why do you ask?

I might start him over Steve Slaton (I already have enough Texans starting for me - Schaub + A. Johnson), but I'm a bit worried about Belichick pulling a fast one on us and giving BenJarvus Green-Ellis the bulk of the carries out of the blue.

I might start him over Steve Slaton (I already have enough Texans starting for me - Schaub + A. Johnson), but I'm a bit worried about Belichick pulling a fast one on us and giving BenJarvus Green-Ellis the bulk of the carries out of the blue.
You should be. I'm contemplating starting The Lawfirm this week straight up. Maroney still looked tentative to me last week and I know that he isnt well respected on the team. It will take a few more days to get a better sense of things but I'm sure that the backs will split carries anyhow. I have more faith in Benjarvis then I do in Maroney to justify playing time.

Dropped McCoy for him as I needed the help this week and can't afford to lose.

Will be starting him at my flex spot over Edwards, D Brown, and Burleson most likely.

Ok, here's the thing. I know the matchup looks GREAT on paper. And you would expect the Patriots to run right? Well, a couple of season ago when I had Maroney, they were in this exact situation. The team they were going to play was dead last in rushing.

So what did Belichick do? He came out throwing. And throwing. And throwing. Maroney didn't even see the field in the 1st half. Needless to say, I got burned. The point is, Belichick, just like his injury reports, can NEVER be trusted. He does the exact OPPOSITE of what people think he's going to do. Plus, the game is in London, so I'm not sure what to expect here. I know Wimbley stadium field conditions are not that great, so does that help the passing game or running game? I would think the running game.

Starting him over M. Bush as a bye week replacement. If Belichik decides to screw me by throwing the ball all over the yard, I will personally fly to London and shove a fistful of peas and mash down his throat.

If they asked me (and sadly no one has), given their predicament with a shortage of competent receivers, they should play Maroney and Faulk at the same time out of the shotgun with Moss/Welker/Watson. Maroney is excellent at YAC and with all the other options could run or receive out of that set.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen Maroney "play" over the last couple years. I've also seen the Patriots share the load amongst several rb's.

I won't play him unless I absolutely had no other options whatsoever. I don't care how bad the Buccaneers are - Maroney is worse.

Good luck to those who end up giving him a go this week.

I've seen Maroney "play" over the last couple years. I've also seen the Patriots share the load amongst several rb's. I won't play him unless I absolutely had no other options whatsoever. I don't care how bad the Buccaneers are - Maroney is worse.Good luck to those who end up giving him a go this week.
I certainly have no man love over the years for Maroney, and given the number of NFL teams on bye and the number of backs with injuries, Maroney is not a bad play this week. FWIW, FBG has him ranked 12th in the early weekly rankings.

I've seen Maroney "play" over the last couple years. I've also seen the Patriots share the load amongst several rb's. I won't play him unless I absolutely had no other options whatsoever. I don't care how bad the Buccaneers are - Maroney is worse.Good luck to those who end up giving him a go this week.
I certainly have no man love over the years for Maroney, and given the number of NFL teams on bye and the number of backs with injuries, Maroney is not a bad play this week. FWIW, FBG has him ranked 12th in the early weekly rankings.
With injuries/bye weeks I could understand some teams rolling him out. And it is an incredible matchup. I'd rather have him blow up on my bench than fizzle in my lineup.

I've got Adrian Peterson and Cedric Benson so he's staying on my bench. I hope he has another good game, though, and gives me some confidence in starting him when Peterson and Benson are on bye...

Right now I have Hightower in at flex in my PPR league, but with his tough matchup against NYG, am considering plugging Maroney in there instead. Will probably waffle back and forth until kickoff.

hotlanta said:
Ok, here's the thing. I know the matchup looks GREAT on paper. And you would expect the Patriots to run right? Well, a couple of season ago when I had Maroney, they were in this exact situation. The team they were going to play was dead last in rushing.

So what did Belichick do? He came out throwing. And throwing. And throwing. Maroney didn't even see the field in the 1st half. Needless to say, I got burned. The point is, Belichick, just like his injury reports, can NEVER be trusted. He does the exact OPPOSITE of what people think he's going to do. Plus, the game is in London, so I'm not sure what to expect here. I know Wimbley stadium field conditions are not that great, so does that help the passing game or running game? I would think the running game.
Field conditions are something to keep an eye on. Weather.com calling for light rain the next three days, but partly cloudy on Sunday with a high of 58.Last year, the weather was ok and the Saints beat the Chargers 37-32. Good day for running & passing.

Rivers: 341 yards 3 TDs 1 INT

Tomlinson: 105 yards on 19 carries

Brees: 339 yards on 3 tds 0 INTs

McCallister: 55 yards on 18 carries and 1 TD

Thomas: 28 yards on 3 carries

In 07 it rained, the field was a mess, and the Giants and Dolphins ran all day. Passing game was really ineffective.

Manning 59 yards (on 8 for 22 passing)

Jacobs 23/131/0

Lemon 149 yards (on 17 for 30 passing)

Chatman 79 yards on 16 attempts.

Oh and Maroney is starting for me because Rice is on bye (over Beanie and Felix).

hotlanta said:

Field conditions are something to keep an eye on. Weather.com calling for light rain the next three days, but partly cloudy on Sunday with a high of 58.Last year, the weather was ok and the Saints beat the Chargers 37-32. Good day for running & passing.

Rivers: 341 yards 3 TDs 1 INT

Tomlinson: 105 yards on 19 carries

Brees: 339 yards on 3 tds 0 INTs

McCallister: 55 yards on 18 carries and 1 TD

Thomas: 28 yards on 3 carries

In 07 it rained, the field was a mess, and the Giants and Dolphins ran all day. Passing game was really ineffective.

Manning 59 yards (on 8 for 22 passing)

Jacobs 23/131/0

Lemon 149 yards (on 17 for 30 passing)

Chatman 79 yards on 16 attempts.

Oh and Maroney is starting for me because Rice is on bye (over Beanie and Felix).
If I remember right, the field conditions weren't all that great last weekend when Maroney (and Brady) had their good games that prompted this thread... just a thought.With that said, I have 6 players on bye and my only other option is Lance Moore, who I would feel equally good with. I'm rolling the dice with Maroney, though, hoping that NE can resurrect his career like they have so many others'. As I've read on many sites, the Patriots are ranked 12th (or so) in rushing, averaging 123 yds/game, and are ranked 6th (???) in rushing TDs, and their RBBC has been cut in half with Taylor and Morris out. I like the odds here.

I remember before the season many people felt Cedric Benson sucked, and wouldn't ever touch him again. Perhaps this is the chance Maroney needed to redeem himself. If not, I drop him next week to fill another bye slot. But if he does do well, and continues, I've hit gold. In my opinion, it's this type of gamble that wins championships.

Not pretending to know what the "correct" answer is here.......I just have a feeling this is the watershed moment for Maroney. Either he takes this and runs with it and never looks back, or it's the end of him having a chance to be relevant in NE.

Doesn't mean he can't re-establish somewhere else after he leaves NE, but this to me this is his make or break moment with the Pats. Curious to see if BB even gives him the chance to sink or swim, or if it's pass all nite and BJG mixed in enough to make Maroney irrelevant again.

Not pretending to know what the "correct" answer is here.......I just have a feeling this is the watershed moment for Maroney. Either he takes this and runs with it and never looks back, or it's the end of him having a chance to be relevant in NE. Doesn't mean he can't re-establish somewhere else after he leaves NE, but this to me this is his make or break moment with the Pats. Curious to see if BB even gives him the chance to sink or swim, or if it's pass all nite and BJG mixed in enough to make Maroney irrelevant again.
:nerd:

Started him over Reggie Bush in .5 PPR, need a TD from LM please

edit, there it is!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread