What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm calling it now: Brees/Colston will lay eggs (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

[scooter]

Footballguy
Brees and Colston have led me to my league's #1 seed, a playoff bye, and the Total Points championship. And while simultaneously thanking them for those feats, I'm also telling them to take a seat on my bench.

That's right, I'm benching them.

Why? Well, it's really only a hunch. But there is some historical reference here: just about every year, there is a QB who comes out of nowhere to put up huge fantasy points. And usually that QB brings a WR along with him. Some specific examples include Culpepper/Moss in 2000, Vick in 2002, and Volek/Bennett in 2004. But guess what? All 3 of those QBs bombed in the playoffs -- likely costing their owners fantasy championships!

I'm not going to let that happen to me. Brees has been playing above his head, and it's time to come down. And he's taking Colston down with him. (Plus, I don't believe Colston is fully healed from his injury). Well, I'm not going to let Brees bring me down too.

I'm replacing Colston with Jerricho Cotchery.

And I'm replacing Brees with Steve McNair. McNair hasn't exactly been a stud, but at least I can count on him to give me some consistent points.

Calling the shots: Brees -- 165/0/2. Colston -- 3/35/0

There you go. Flame away. But don't cry "fishing" because it's the truth. Bump this baby on Monday!

Sometimes it's possible to overthink a situation. I believe this may be one of those instances.

Good luck to you.

I hope you are not doing this :wall: for the entire off season.

It's possible that it works out but it's a real bad move. I can see the Cotchery move but the McNair one is a head scratcher. It's your team and you'll be a genius if it works and an idiot when it fails.

I can see the Colston benching but why bench Brees for McNair? You're telling me McNair has been more consistent than Brees? Thats nonsense. And do you seriously think the Ravens are gonna have to pass much vs Cle?

1st rule: Play who got you there.

2nd rule: Especially if they are hot.

3rd rule: 1 to 2 games is luck. Brees is a trend. His luck wont' run out.

Good luck to you though.

Last edited by a moderator:
i can SORT of understand benching Colston, just because of the slow week last week (his only one back from injury)... but benching Brees now is insane.

know what i think?? i think you posted this, honestly thinking it has merit. which it MIGHT. but you'll end up starting Brees anyway, so that if he does go off, you'll win your game. if he doesn't, at least you can bump this thread and beat your chest a bit. win/win for you.

nice try

i have brees and colston and the only thing i am worried about is them getting up via 3 or 4 non passsing tds and then shutting it down against a bad team

Why? Well, it's really only a hunch. But there is some historical reference here: just about every year, there is a QB who comes out of nowhere to put up huge fantasy points. And usually that QB brings a WR along with him. Some specific examples include Culpepper/Moss in 2000, Vick in 2002, and Volek/Bennett in 2004. But guess what? All 3 of those QBs bombed in the playoffs -- likely costing their owners fantasy championships!

Flawed analysis, period.In 2004:

Week 14: vs KC - Volek threw for 426 yds and 4 TDs (plus 24 rush yds)

Week 15: at Oak - Volek threw for 492 yds and 4 TDs (plus had a 1 yd rush TD)

Edit to add:

Culpepper in 2000:

Week 14 vs Det - 25 rush yds, 160 pass yds, 1 TD pass

Week 15 at StL - 37 rush yds, 221 pass yds, 3 TD passes and 1 TD run

Week 16 vs GB - 42 rush yds, 335 pass yds, 3 TD passes and 1 TD run

Vick in 2002:

Week 14 at TB (the year they won the SB) - 15 rush yds, 125 pass yds, 1 pass TD

Week 15 vs Sea - 101 rush yds, 240 pass yds, 2 TD passes

Week 16 vs Det - 132 rush yds, 337 pass yds, 2 TD passes

FWIW, I'm starting Bush, Colston and Devery Henderson this week.

Over Evans, CTaylor, Moose, and S. Holmes.

I might be making a big mistake with CT if he's healthy.

Possibility that you are a genius...17%

Possibility that you are an idiot...83%

The race is not always to the swift, or the battle to the strong...but that's the way to bet.

i have brees and colston and the only thing i am worried about is them getting up via 3 or 4 non passsing tds and then shutting it down against a bad team
Washington has only given up 4 TDs on the ground the entire year.I have a hunch this week that someone will lose in the playoffs.

[scooter] - good luck! The one obvious reason your prediction may come true is that Bush/Deuce may run all over the Skins so badly, they won't have to throw.

I am going up against Brees but I can counter with Colston and Henderson. I'm stuck real bad picking between the two but I'm definitely going with Colston against undersized Skins dbs. I just hope Taylor doesn't light him up and put him out.

This is one matchup where starting both Saints WR is appealing. Does this strategy work when I can counter his QB with both starting WRs? Or is that a losing proposition on my part?

I could easily see Baltimore pitching a shutout this weekend, McNair won't have to throw that much at all. I can see benching Colston, but Brees will throw at least one TD, if not two this weekend, and there is no way he doesn't get at least 200 yards. He throws deep way too much to not at least hit that mark.

Washington defense is better against the run than against the pass. On the other side, they have an offense that will put up 14-17 points over the course of the game against the Saints defense. Brees will have another 300+ and 2TD+ game this weekend.

Good luck guy. Hope you aren't :shock: on Monday morning.

I wouldn't bench Brees if my backup was Peyton ManningNi
:shrug: I'm doing exactly that...PManning has outscored Brees only once over the last 6 weeks in my league. I know there's a time to follow your gut, but playoffs? I'm following the trend...Peyton, meet the bench.

I'd bet the farm against this prediction. There are reasons OTHER than those you stated to have lingering about Colston, but Brees is and has been an absolute ROCK this season. In fact, contrary to the supposed logic of your post, I knocked off the Peyton Manning and DAL D led team last week (in the playoffs) thanks to Drew Brees. You're already wrong.

Possibility that you are a genius...17%Possibility that you are an idiot...83%
Possibility that his prediction is wrong, somebody bumps this thread, then he comes back says "Joke's on you, I changed my mind at the last minute and won my matchup" just like happens in every other similar thread -- 90%

Gotta tell you I am a Brees owner, and my opponent this week starts Deuce. I clicked on this thread with apprehension thinking that there would be a good case of why Brees won't play well against the Skins. Well, I am happy to report that after reading every post in this thread, I am now more convinced that Brees will blow up and Deuce will not kill me.

I admire and respect the decision. Going with the better matchup. Good luck :sadbanana: See Greg Jennings for level of play after a high ankle sprain.

clearly you haven't watched the Redskins try to defend the pass this year.

I think a handful of us could put on some gear and compile at least 250 yds passing against them.

They can't cover the deep ball, they can't cover the crossing route....Williams likes to bring the heat and leave Rogers and Springs out there in single coverage and both continue to get burned. Sean Taylor - falls for every playaction fake. If he weren't a superfreak of an athlete, his nickname would be Toast.

I really hope you're right because I play against Brees and McAllister this weekend.

The only chance I see at a subpar Brees start (which is still solid), is the chance of a Saints "letdown" game after such a huge performance Sunday. I could see them playing somewhat flat. Other than that, I couldn't possibly have a worse matchup than WAS.

:crossing fingers:

You play your hunch and I'll look a few numbers

Washington def = 25 TD passes allowed (worst in the league)

99.8 opponent QB rating against (worst in the league)

five interceptions (fewest in the league)

just 15 sacks (worst in the league).

That defense against the hottest passing offense in the league right now! :excited: :whistle:

i can SORT of understand benching Colston, just because of the slow week last week (his only one back from injury)... but benching Brees now is insane.know what i think?? i think you posted this, honestly thinking it has merit. which it MIGHT. but you'll end up starting Brees anyway, so that if he does go off, you'll win your game. if he doesn't, at least you can bump this thread and beat your chest a bit. win/win for you.nice try
:unsure:

Invitations to "Flame Away" are not part of the Shark Pool approach of "Be Excellent to each other".

This one is closed as it is obviously a fishing trip.

MW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread