What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If the Eagles move up to draft Mariota, what team fits Foles? (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
It's hard for me to believe that Foles can go from what he did 2 years ago to his current value. I think some teams are bound to go after Foles should they move up for Marcus Mariota, such as the Bills, Jets, maybe the Bengals, Houston, maybe the Titans, Bears if they are tiring of Cutler, Bucs, Cardinals, and Rams if they give up on Bradford.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would the Eagles move up? Because of Kelly's Oregon connect?

And even if they made that move they are ready now to win, why wouldn't they just keep Foles? Foles is in the last year of his deal and is relatively cheap.

And even if they made that move they are ready now to win, why wouldn't they just keep Foles? Foles is in the last year of his deal and is relatively cheap.
Yea, welcome to the last 3 weeks of talk radio here in Philly. Utter nonsense.

There's a sucker born every minute. If a team is this public about something, you can bet real money that they have absolutely zero intention of going that way on draft day. Teams love to perpetuate myths publicly prior to the draft. Better still if the media is helping them perpetuate myths.

He's so young and has shown enough and has experience...if he will accept a backup job or battle for position, every team would want Foles. He only makes 660k in 2015

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/20/report-chip-kelly-already-plotting-to-move-up-for-marcus-mariota/
I'm glad you believe everything you read. :thumbup:
Right back at ya! :whoosh:

Pretty sure the Eagles would need to offer a crazy haul of picks, something on the order of 3 #1's, 2 #2's, and a player to move from #20 to #1.

And although it is possible Mariota slides, it won't be more than one or two picks, given how rare elite QB prospects are and how shallow this class is.

There's a sucker born every minute. If a team is this public about something, you can bet real money that they have absolutely zero intention of going that way on draft day. Teams love to perpetuate myths publicly prior to the draft. Better still if the media is helping them perpetuate myths.
Agreed. i wouldn't believe it at this point. Is it possible? sure, but definitely take these things with a grain of salt.

He's so young and has shown enough and has experience...if he will accept a backup job or battle for position, every team would want Foles. He only makes 660k in 2015
Foles doesn't need to accept a backup job. Have you looked at some of the starting qb's in the league?

Foles doesn't need to accept a backup job. Have you looked at some of the starting qb's in the league?
True true. I was just saying if he would then everyone would want him. It's not like Brady, Rodgers, Brees etc are stepping aside for him.

I would imagine the Eagles get many interested teams AND that their fans call them names for trading away a good cheap backup if Mariota is the plan

True true. I was just saying if he would then everyone would want him. It's not like Brady, Rodgers, Brees etc are stepping aside for him.I would imagine the Eagles get many interested teams AND that their fans call them names for trading away a good cheap backup if Mariota is the plan
The idiots that want Mariota here can't even remember Foles name.

Yeah I don't understand why the Eagles would trade Foles regardless of Mariotta, he's pretty cheap as a bridge if nothing else.

Plus how much would it cost the Eagles to move up that high? Look how much it cost the Skins to move up 2 spots. Can't imagine what it would take.

Yeah I don't understand why the Eagles would trade Foles regardless of Mariotta, he's pretty cheap as a bridge if nothing else.

Plus how much would it cost the Eagles to move up that high? Look how much it cost the Skins to move up 2 spots. Can't imagine what it would take.
According to the morons here, TB would do it for a 2 firsts and Cox. Completely unrealistic. We would need at least 3 firsts (+this years), 2 seconds and possibly a player. Totally not worth it.

If he falls to 20, that's one thing. Trading up is a fantasy.

The Redskins trade isn't a barometer of anything. It's pretty well recognized as an extreme outlier.

That being said, it would still cost way too much to move up from 20 to top 5, especially for a team that has many holes on D.

The Redskins trade isn't a barometer of anything. It's pretty well recognized as an extreme outlier.
Well recognized by who? Some dorks on a message board or sports radio?

I guarantee you if a team is trying to move up like that again for a potential stud QB, that's the cost.

It isn't out of the realm of possibility that Mariota falls in this draft. NFL executives are already comparing him to Colin Kaepernick as a prospect. Hard to imagine that he slips past the Jets and Bears, but stranger things have happened.

I guarantee you if a team is trying to move up like that again for a potential stud QB, that's the cost.
As I've said many times, as long as they remain somewhat equal, the value of two QBs available is different than one.

Trading to get the second pick today is totally different than trading to get the second pick once one is off the board.

RG3 was a very unique talent (still might be I suppose) with the running ability and athleticism. The entire NFL history seems to lend toward pocket QBs or those that run just a little, but if you get the right GM...a guy like Vick or Randall or Akili Smith or Kordell or McNabb or Young or RG3...it gets em' going and they think they're the greatest prospect ever.

Still can't believe no GM drooled over Major Harris.

Anyway, I think the Redskins just fell in love and went in knowing they were giving up too much but at the same time getting their guy who would be oh so worth it.

The Raiders made some odd picks in other years and people got on them for the picks.

I love a GM going nuts for a player. It can have terrible consequences, but as a fan it absolutely intrigues me when that happens. I went from hmm wonder if RG3 will be good to oh I am totally checking this guy out first chance I get.

Kelly and Mariota have this love for each other. That might be the extra bit that propels them to go from sane trade to wow they gave up what?

If I'm the Bucs GM I am pointing out that the Eagles are on the 2015 schedule and asking Kelly how it's going to feel to lose to Mariota. Whatever deal he was close to going for but thought was too expensive...that might be the bait to get him to bite.

If Mariotta is considered a top 5 pick, I would argue he is also a "unique talent." Only takes one sucker to believe that for it to be true, ask the Raiders.

That being said, it would still cost way too much to move up from 20 to top 5, especially for a team that has many holes on D.
Depending on the talent and team needs of the team picking, some moves that large have actually ranged from relatively cheap to somewhat reasonable in the past.

Jacksonville traded two 3rds and a 4th to move from 26 to 8 in 2008.

Atlanta traded a 1st, 2nd, and two 4ths to move from 27 to 6 in 2011.

I'd be shocked to see Mariotta get drafted in the top 5 after his performance in his final collegiate game. His workouts/combine would need to be off the charts IMO.

I know there are QB-starved teams out there, but I just don't see it with this guy. Time will tell.

If I'm correct, I could see him falling to the 14-18 range and I think most teams would take a shot at that point if they needed a QB project. In this case, it's pretty easy to see a scenario where Philly moves up at a relatively modest cost.

It isn't out of the realm of possibility that Mariota falls in this draft. NFL executives are already comparing him to Colin Kaepernick as a prospect. Hard to imagine that he slips past the Jets and Bears, but stranger things have happened.
Considering how far Bridgewater fell, MM very well could fall to 20.

And then while it's much more likely that, even if Philly drafts MM, they keep Foles, there will be a lot of teams interested.

On the very small chance that Foles got traded, most likely it would be to a team that prioritizes their qb to manage the game and not make mistakes (as opposed to needing him to press to win). Buffalo would be the ideal fit but also Houston and st. Louis fit that mold.

As I've said many times, as long as they remain somewhat equal, the value of two QBs available is different than one.

Trading to get the second pick today is totally different than trading to get the second pick once one is off the board.

RG3 was a very unique talent (still might be I suppose) with the running ability and athleticism. The entire NFL history seems to lend toward pocket QBs or those that run just a little, but if you get the right GM...a guy like Vick or Randall or Akili Smith or Kordell or McNabb or Young or RG3...it gets em' going and they think they're the greatest prospect ever.

Still can't believe no GM drooled over Major Harris.

Anyway, I think the Redskins just fell in love and went in knowing they were giving up too much but at the same time getting their guy who would be oh so worth it.

The Raiders made some odd picks in other years and people got on them for the picks.

I love a GM going nuts for a player. It can have terrible consequences, but as a fan it absolutely intrigues me when that happens. I went from hmm wonder if RG3 will be good to oh I am totally checking this guy out first chance I get.

Kelly and Mariota have this love for each other. That might be the extra bit that propels them to go from sane trade to wow they gave up what?

If I'm the Bucs GM I am pointing out that the Eagles are on the 2015 schedule and asking Kelly how it's going to feel to lose to Mariota. Whatever deal he was close to going for but thought was too expensive...that might be the bait to get him to bite.
It's like buying a car, you never let the dealer think you have to have that particular car. If you do, you're already screwed.

It's hard for me to believe that Foles can go from what he did 2 years ago to his current value. I think some teams are bound to go after Foles should they move up for Marcus Mariota, such as the Bills, Jets, maybe the Bengals, Houston, maybe the Titans, Bears if they are tiring of Cutler, Bucs, Cardinals, and Rams if they give up on Bradford.
It's hard for me to believe that the Eagles are ready to throw Foles away already. What's his record as a starter? Why isn't he a guy that you can win a Super Bowl with? Who on earth would roll the dice on an unknown if you have a playoff caliber QB in the fold.

As a fan of a team that has true QB troubles (Redskins), this all just shows that you Philly fans (and maybe Chip Kelly) are nuts. You need to just roll with Foles and use your # 1 pick to bolster the defense...

I hope to God that Mariotta is there at 5 and Redskins can get a few # 1's + Foles for the pick.

(Cue the remarks about the Redskins taking Philly's trash here) But seriously, why aren't you guys happy with the very good QB that you have?

It's hard for me to believe that the Eagles are ready to throw Foles away already. What's his record as a starter? Why isn't he a guy that you can win a Super Bowl with? Who on earth would roll the dice on an unknown if you have a playoff caliber QB in the fold. As a fan of a team that has true QB troubles (Redskins), this all just shows that you Philly fans (and maybe Chip Kelly) are nuts. You need to just roll with Foles and use your # 1 pick to bolster the defense...

I hope to God that Mariotta is there at 5 and Redskins can get a few # 1's + Foles for the pick.

(Cue the remarks about the Redskins taking Philly's trash here) But seriously, why aren't you guys happy with the very good QB that you have?
A recent poll on CSN Philly showed people want to keep Foles. It was about 75% keep Foles. The vocal minority here includes both radio stations pushing this supposed deal though. One has made t-shirts. Its getting a little out of hand.

It's hard for me to believe that the Eagles are ready to throw Foles away already. What's his record as a starter? Why isn't he a guy that you can win a Super Bowl with? Who on earth would roll the dice on an unknown if you have a playoff caliber QB in the fold. As a fan of a team that has true QB troubles (Redskins), this all just shows that you Philly fans (and maybe Chip Kelly) are nuts. You need to just roll with Foles and use your # 1 pick to bolster the defense...

A recent poll on CSN Philly showed people want to keep Foles. It was about 75% keep Foles. The vocal minority here includes both radio stations pushing this supposed deal though. One has made t-shirts. Its getting a little out of hand.
Thanks for that clarification. It's good to know that it's not most fans. I was starting to wonder what I was "missing."

Texans, Titans, Bills, Cardinals, Redskins, Jets, Bucs, Browns, Rams Would all be upgraded with Foles at QB.

The guy asked a hypothetical question that only Pizzatyme and Fruity Pebbles bothered to answer.

It only took the 2nd post to derail it.

No wonder the Shark Pool is made fun of.

ETA: And Da Guru :hifive:

Bills, Texans, Bears, or Bucs would be a fit.

Thanks for that clarification. It's good to know that it's not most fans. I was starting to wonder what I was "missing."
And FWIW Shady said he and a majority of the locker room want and think Foles will be the starter next season as well.

I like how no one is actually discussing the hypothetical posed in the OP's question. Anyways, I can see the Cards, Titans, Texans, Bills, Browns, Chiefs, and maybe some others being interested.

Also any smokescreen here is most likely being pushed by teams with picks #2 thru #5. They want other teams to move up before "the Eagles move up for Mariota".

Because the hypothetical question is in the same vein as "The Patriots should Trade Brady to the Texans."

Because the hypothetical question is in the same vein as "The Patriots should Trade Brady to the Texans."
No it's not. There are varying degrees of ridiculousness.

The Eagles releasing/trading Foles is certainly plausible regardless of Mariotta being an Eagle.

No it's not. There are varying degrees of ridiculousness. The Eagles releasing/trading Foles is certainly plausible regardless of Mariotta being an Eagle.
How so?
Because it appears to some that Chip Kelly doesn't want Foles as his QB.
It appears to some morons yes. Since he got there they've said it. Yet Kelly is 20-13 as a coach. 14-4 with Foles and 6-9 without.

The Eagles releasing/trading Foles is certainly plausible regardless of Mariotta being an Eagle.
Releasing, now that's crazy.

What I see as possible is a 3-way trade where another team gives their 1st to the Bucs (for Foles) and the Eagles give their 1st+ to the Bucs.

Releasing, now that's crazy.

What I see as possible is a 3-way trade where another team gives their 1st to the Bucs (for Foles) and the Eagles give their 1st+ to the Bucs.
Eh, whatever. You have to cover your bases six ways from Sunday around here else someone will jump on you.

Report: Eagles plotting to move up to grab Marcus Mariotaby Larry Hartstein | CBSSports.com
Wed, 21 Jan 2015 9:43 AM ETThe Eagles will try to move up from their draft slot at No. 20 to snag quarterback Marcus Mariota and reunite him with coach Chip Kelly, who coached Mariota for his first two years at Oregon, reports The Star-Ledger.

The paper quoted a source familiar with the team's plans: "Can it happen? I don't know, but they're going to try."

Kelly recruited Mariota, once called him "the most talented kid I coached in college," and correctly predicted Mariota would win the Heisman when he saw him as a freshman, the paper noted.

Mariota could go as high as No. 1 overall and likely won't fall out of the top five, so Philly might have to give up as many as three first-round picks -- or a similarly rich package of picks and players -- to pull it off, per the paper. However, Kelly is now in control of personnel, answering only to owner Jeffrey Lurie.

"That makes it a little easier," the source told the paper. "There isn't anyone in Kelly's way."

Such a blockbuster move would show the Eagles are not committed to Nick Foles as their long-term starter. Foles was exceptional in 2013, throwing 27 touchdowns and two interceptions, before a so-so 2014 season that was cut short by a broken collarbone.

Users who are viewing this thread