What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Marshall gets traded (1 Viewer)

Verbal Kint

Footballguy
After a surprisingly successful rookie campaign, and a projected top 25 ranking last year Royal was probably one of the biggest busts last year. Now if Marshall is traded, how does that affect Eddie's value going forward?

You would think he would get a boost in value if Marshall is traded. He has always been a team player, so expect Eddie to do whatever he's told, whether that's lining up wide, in the slot, returning punts or not returning punts, etc. I know Kyle Orton is anxious to work more with Eddie in the offseason. If Marshall gets traded, he (Orton) will most definitely be discussing plays, angles and options with Eddie. Keep in mind, if Marshall is not a part of the 2010 plan for Denver, someone else will be brought in to occupy Marshall's role. Denver likely won't let him go without getting someone big in return via the draft i.e Dez Bryant, Arellious Benn or Demaryius Thomas. Either way, expect Royal to play more of a role in the offense in 2010. His 2010 projections could be anywhere from Top 15 to Top 35. I'm thinking more along the Top 25 with a chance to break the Top 20. He seems to be motivated as well. Check out a recent post on his facebook page (below).

U guys have nooo idea how motivated i am to have more catches, yards, and tds this yr than in '08.. and more importantly to help bring a championship back to denv!!!

Not sure if he meant '08 or his down year in '09. He's extra motivated if he did in fact mean the 2008 season.

Last edited by a moderator:
His looks undoubtedly will go up. But there is a reason he disappeared last year and I think it has to do with Orton's inability to throw to a smaller receiver like Royal and his inability to go deep effectively. Royal would be better with a different kind of QB. So, while he becomes a solid WR3, I won't be projecting him higher than that. Also, I expect Denver to make more of a concerted effort to run the ball more in 2010.

His looks undoubtedly will go up. But there is a reason he disappeared last year and I think it has to do with Orton's inability to throw to a smaller receiver like Royal and his inability to go deep effectively. Royal would be better with a different kind of QB. So, while he becomes a solid WR3, I won't be projecting him higher than that. Also, I expect Denver to make more of a concerted effort to run the ball more in 2010.
Ditto, best as a WR3 this year until the Broncos have a better QB. He might benefit more being traded to another team with an established QB.

He won't be relevant until someone besides Kyle Orton is taking snaps in Denver.
And Brandstater is worse. (Talking about being a real QB, not fantasy.)
Kyle Orton has had enough time to prove that he is very pedestrian....time for some new blood....cough brady quinn cough
Personally, I think Kyle Orton is better than what you are saying. But regardless of my thoughts on Orton, what makes you think Brady Quinn is any good? If it's just new blood you want, I'm available. I can throw the ball 40 yards, I'll donate and do a few commericials for the United Way and be a good guy. If it's NFL talent you're looking for, you need to watch for you wish for and hope you don't get it because Brady Quinn blows.

Ditto, best as a WR3 this year until the Broncos have a better QB. He might benefit more being traded to another team with an established QB.
Kyle Orton isn't the problem. The guy can throw the ball just fine. He threw the ball fine in Chicago and he threw it fine in Denver. The problem is Royal, believe it.

I don't think that in 2008 Royal did most of his damage on deep patterns. I think he got a lot of crossing patterns and picked up a lot of RAC yards. That is what I don't understand. Orton has demonstrated that he can't throw the ball deep very well, so but I thought Royal would have actually benefited from that scenario. He obviously didn't. So I haven't a clue what 2010 has in store for him. You would have thought, with the attention Marshall constantly got, that Royal would have been one on one a lot. You would of thought he would have been in a position to have a big year. Not only did he not have a big year, he seemed to fade as the year progressed. Any Bronco homers, am I right about what I thought I saw in 2008 from Royal? Or was he indeed doing his damage on deep patterns?

Last edited by a moderator:
Iwannabeacowboybaby! said:
benson_will_lead_the_way said:
He won't be relevant until someone besides Kyle Orton is taking snaps in Denver.
And Brandstater is worse. (Talking about being a real QB, not fantasy.)
Kyle Orton has had enough time to prove that he is very pedestrian....time for some new blood....cough brady quinn cough
Personally, I think Kyle Orton is better than what you are saying. But regardless of my thoughts on Orton, what makes you think Brady Quinn is any good? If it's just new blood you want, I'm available. I can throw the ball 40 yards, I'll donate and do a few commericials for the United Way and be a good guy. If it's NFL talent you're looking for, you need to watch for you wish for and hope you don't get it because Brady Quinn blows.
Is Cleveland a great organization? No....how many flops have they had....couch, warren, green, etc.I like Quinn because....just like Clausen played in some big games at Notre Dame....which means he is used to the pressure and who did he have around him....not much(unlike Clausen)....even in the NFL....Winslow got traded.....Edwards got traded....a RB(Jamal Lewis)...played behind Anderson b/c of his one year.I don't think its fair to label him as "blows". I believe he has the tools....and would much rather have him than Jamarcus(from that same class).

I don't think that in 2008 Royal did most of his damage on deep patterns. I think he got a lot of crossing patterns and picked up a lot of RAC yards. That is what I don't understand. Orton has demonstrated that he can't throw the ball deep very well, so but I thought Royal would have actually benefited from that scenario. He obviously didn't. So I haven't a clue what 2010 has in store for him. You would have thought, with the attention Marshall constantly got, that Royal would have been one on one a lot. You would of thought he would have been in a position to have a big year. Not only did he not have a big year, he seemed to fade as the year progressed. Any Bronco homers, am I right about what I thought I saw in 2008 from Royal? Or was he indeed doing his damage on deep patterns?
I think mostly he just wasn't on the field.

I think mostly he just wasn't on the field.
No. He was on the field he just didn't get open and/or get thrown to.

Despite his speed, he hasn't been much of a deep threat in either of his years in the league. Orton did sail some balls on him and seems better suited with taller WRs but even with Cannonball Cutler, Royal averaged just a tick over 10ypc. He's a very good possession WR who I think would be better served playing out of the slot a la Welker. He also suffered various injuries through 2009 most notably kneck and head (concussion) injuries.

Despite his speed, he hasn't been much of a deep threat in either of his years in the league. Orton did sail some balls on him and seems better suited with taller WRs but even with Cannonball Cutler, Royal averaged just a tick over 10ypc. He's a very good possession WR who I think would be better served playing out of the slot a la Welker. He also suffered various injuries through 2009 most notably kneck and head (concussion) injuries.
I suspect that you are right, he would be best in the slot. Problem is that if Gaffney is your #1 WR they have got to use Royal on the other side. That is unless they draft and start one or two rookies. Well, we will find out now. The guy just seems to have a lot of talent, but we didn't see much of it last year.

I saw a couple Denver games last year, and Orton skipped balls his way every time he looked at Royal. He'd look for Marshall, wait, keep looking at Marshall, and then finally go through his progression(s). Royal was wide open on a handful of plays, yet Orton threw behind him on two occasions and threw too low on the others. I don't doubt that Eddie has the talent, it is a matter of whether Orton will quick locking in on one receiver (Gafney now?) and spread the ball around.

I think Royal is poised to rebound, and could be a good #2 WR this year if Orton and McDuffus aren't just blowing smoke when they say things like "we need to get Eddie back in the offense"

I was very surprised when Royal had his solid rookie campaign. I remember Royal being a good return guy at Virginia Tech, but he never had more than 500 receiving yards in a college season. There may be many reasons for that, but to me it sends a red flag. As a result, I predicted him as a bust candidate in 2009 - especially with the personnel changes associated with the team. I think he may catch a few more balls this season, but I doubt he ever comes close to matching his rookie year numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread