What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Colt plays and wins the Rose Bowl, where does he go? (1 Viewer)

kOOk

Footballguy
Not sure why this thread was locked, differing opinions not allowed here?

How about a hypothetical question, if that's okay. We were wondering this today and would like other takes on it. Say he was indeed held out for what we'll call "precautionary reasons", fear of furthe r injury, etc. Or, just say it never happened, if that makes you feel better.

If he wins that game, where do you think he would have gone and how much more would he have fetched?

Thank you.

Because your post was not only obnoxious, but WAAAAAAY off base. Its very well documented that he did everything he could to get back in the game. Your thread not only deserved to get locked, but the tone of it might deserve more if you're not careful.

ETA: And to answer your question (since it wasn't so obnoxious in this thread): Unless he led some miraculous comeback, I doubt it would have mattered. He did NOT hurt his draft status on the sidelines there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I disagree with almost all of that renesauce, your're overreacting. Okay, I'll give you it being obnoxious. And if that is not allowed here, please show me where. The site would lose about half the people here if so.

You think he did EVERYTHING to get back in the game. I don't. I've seen guys in football with worse injuries have to be dragged out. But I'll let that go because we'll never get anywhere and instead change the question accordingly.

If you would, answer the question, it's a fairly simple one.

How about a hypothetical question, if that's okay. We were wondering this today and would like other takes on it. Say he was indeed held out for what we'll call "precautionary reasons", fear of furthe r injury, etc. Or, just say it never happened, if that makes you feel better.

If he wins that game, where do you think he would have gone and how much more would he have fetched?

Thank you.
You theorized that Colt could have played, yet sat down in the biggest game of his life in order to make money, but also that if he had played and won, he'd have been an almost certain 1st round pick.Surely even you can see how these assertions collide and fall flat.

You think he did EVERYTHING to get back in the game. I don't. I've seen guys in football with worse injuries have to be dragged out.
Sure.You're absolutely right. He could have played. No doubt about it. He just couldn't have been effective as a qb and would have dug an even bigger hole for Texas. He couldn't have thrown or protected the ball and he probably would have been injured worse because he couldn't protect his throwing arm. But he definitely could have played.

Thank you.
You theorized that Colt could have played, yet sat down in the biggest game of his life in order to make money, but also that if he had played and won, he'd have been an almost certain 1st round pick.Surely even you can see how these assertions collide and fall flat.
Not at all. And I don't want to get into that in this thread. But to humor you, I'll answer briefly and as simply as I can. I do think he got hurt. To what degree is the real question. Somewhere a decision was made not to allow him to play. That had to be for fear of getting more hurt. Obviously, they were looking forward, playing it safe, and I understand that, it's their prerogative. However, it is within the realm of possibility, I think, that he could have come back and been okay. And won. Just for fun, say he won it. In that scenario where would he have gone today? He goes A LOT higher. So in an ironic twist of fate, his handlers hurt his draft prospects.

We speculate all the time in here it's fun and it's what it's about. I'm just trying to find out what the difference in money would be. Do you have an idea or not?

I do think he got hurt. To what degree is the real question. Somewhere a decision was made not to allow him to play. That had to be for fear of getting more hurt.
That's the only possibility?
Obviously, they were looking forward, playing it safe, and I understand that, it's their prerogative. However, it is within the realm of possibility, I think, that he could have come back and been okay. And won. Just for fun, say he won it.
So now you aren't sure? You were earlier.
In the biggest game of his life, he left. That's not football. There was no concerted effort to get back on the field that day, no matter what they tried to say about it.
Which is it?
We speculate all the time in here it's fun and it's what it's about. I'm just trying to find out what the difference in money would be. Do you have an idea or not?
First round? Doubtful. More money? Maybe. How much? No way of knowing that. Moot point anyway. It's possible, even to the extent of being much more likely that he would have made more money had he stayed in and had Texas won that game...which makes your theory about why you think he sat out all the more preposterous. There was zero upside to him sitting if he could play. Everyone knew that, including Colt.

Thank you.
Not at all. And I don't want to get into that in this thread. But to humor you, I'll answer briefly and as simply as I can. I do think he got hurt. To what degree is the real question. Somewhere a decision was made not to allow him to play. That had to be for fear of getting more hurt. Obviously, they were looking forward, playing it safe, and I understand that, it's their prerogative. However, it is within the realm of possibility, I think, that he could have come back and been okay. And won. Just for fun, say he won it. In that scenario where would he have gone today? He goes A LOT higher. So in an ironic twist of fate, his handlers hurt his draft prospects.

Sure. If he comes back and wins the game in dramatic fashion maybe he gets drafted in the top 15 of the first. Calculate what one of those guys get and then subtract from it what he signs for in CLE. There's your answer.

the hairy scotsman said:
I do think he got hurt. To what degree is the real question. Somewhere a decision was made not to allow him to play. That had to be for fear of getting more hurt.
That's the only possibility?

More or less, and you know it. If they KNOW there is ZERO chance of further injury then what's there to lose? They were protecting their prospect and Colt wasn't about to try and tough it out . . . not with Daddy calling the shots.

Obviously, they were looking forward, playing it safe, and I understand that, it's their prerogative. However, it is within the realm of possibility, I think, that he could have come back and been okay. And won. Just for fun, say he won it.
So now you aren't sure? You were earlier.No, I'm sure what I think. I was trying to be civil and acknowledge YOUR SIDE , but since your love is unwavering I'm done with that tack.

In the biggest game of his life, he left. That's not football. There was no concerted effort to get back on the field that day, no matter what they tried to say about it.
Which is it?Which is what? All of it. I said he walked. I said that's not football. I said I didn't see any serious effort to at least get him back in the biggest game of his life. And finally, I only heard excuses after, varying ones at that. Still confused?

First round? Doubtful. More money? Maybe. How much? No way of knowing that. Moot point anyway. It's possible he would have made more money had he stayed in and had Texas won that game...which makes your theory about why you think he sat out all the more preposterous. There was no upside to him sitting if he could play. Everyone knew that, including Colt.LMAO at all that, most of it is wrong. He lays an egg in the biggest spotlight of his career and it definitely costs him. And prior, he was as high as he's been.
Here's one, why'd did so many teams pass on him? You must've been devastated, sorry about that.

Routilla said:
Sure. If he comes back and wins the game in dramatic fashion maybe he gets drafted in the top 15 of the first. Calculate what one of those guys get and then subtract from it what he signs for in CLE. There's your answer.
HA! You got me, good answer Rout. :thumbdown:

I don't think the question's unfair.

I know I questioned his heart after that game. And I know that during the run-up to the draft, the local Pittsburgh media was talking about all KINDS of QB prospects (for obvious reasons), and at least a couple of the media voices were openly questioning the kid's heart, and referencing that game. Say what you will about Roethlisberger's sexual proclivities, but he got out on the field and led the team part of this year with his left arm hanging dead in its socket. Hard to imagine McCoy nutting up like that. I don't think it's too big a stretch to imagine that at least a handful of personnel guys around the league were harboring similar thoughts.

I know I questioned his heart after that game. And I know that during the run-up to the draft, the local Pittsburgh media was talking about all KINDS of QB prospects (for obvious reasons), and at least a couple of the media voices were openly questioning the kid's heart, and referencing that game. Say what you will about Roethlisberger's sexual proclivities, but he got out on the field and led the team part of this year with his left arm hanging dead in its socket. Hard to imagine McCoy nutting up like that. I don't think it's too big a stretch to imagine that at least a handful of personnel guys around the league were harboring similar thoughts.
It's pretty difficult to imagine Big Ben would have been playing with his throwing arm hanging from it's socket, though, right? You do get the difference, I'm sure.Hard to play qb if you have nerve damage and can't throw the ball. I've had a nerve injury that was probably less severe than Colt's and I couldn't hit a dart board with a dart from regulation distance using a regular motion. I could try all I wanted, and did. Made no difference. The muscles were there, they just weren't getting the signal from the brain because the pathways were damaged. I had to change the way I did everything...driving, eating, sleeping, brushing my teeth...

That's the kind of spot McCoy was in that night and I'm sure in the months after. Why do some refuse to accept this? It took months of physical therapy followed by more months of time in the gym and exercising at home to get my strength back near 100% in that arm and shoulder. The funny thing was that my injury happened in an instant, coming from something completely innocent, and was painless, but the result was amazing.

I say all this as someone who hasn't always been his most glowing supporter, either. During and after Colt's sophomore season, I saw it as more of a reality check and I never figured he'd ever be a pro qb. His junior campaign was off the charts again and I believe his senior season showed his true level. I thought it would result in him getting drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round (so no I wasn't surprised and certainly wasn't devastated). The last thing I'd ever do, though, is criticize the kid's work ethic, on-field effort, competitiveness, or heart. He didn't get where he is by sandbagging. Not with his physical attributes (or lack thereof). Most serious folks around here thought the same about his draft status. The media overhyped the extremely unlikely possibility of Colt being taken in the 1st round, as they always do with highly regarded skill players, esp qbs. Seriously, did anyone in their right mind think 3 or 4 qbs would go in the 1st round?

I only heard excuses after, varying ones at that.
Link, please.I was at the game. I was 10 feet away when he walked in and out of the tunnel. You can imagine that I followed this story with extreme interest. I never heard any 'varying excuses' from Colt McCoy. If you did I'd be very interested to hear them.

If they KNOW there is ZERO chance of further injury then what's there to lose?
The ball to a fumble or interception? The ability to pass the ball at all? Seriously? What good does it do have a qb in there without the use of his throwing arm...or if you would put such a qb back in the game, what's the point of having a backup qb the likes of Garrett Gilbert, or wasting a scholarship on one at all? You're obviously being purposefully obtuse. Nobody's this dense.

Good points, thanks. McNair comes to mind as well, obviously.It's funny to me how defensive people are to this? Even when I have tried to dance around the notion, it was so preposterous. Look at both attempts at this thread it's like you have the McCoy's in here going nuts. I mean, they LOCKED the other thread, it's ridiculous.

Should I post a replay of the big hit? Or how 'bout him trying a few tosses on the sideline? Oh, wait, he went straight to the locker room with Dad. How often does that happen? After half, I thought surely he'd try to rally his team in some way. Nope, off to the draft instead.

Good points, thanks. McNair comes to mind as well, obviously.It's funny to me how defensive people are to this? Even when I have tried to dance around the notion, it was so preposterous. Look at both attempts at this thread it's like you have the McCoy's in here going nuts. I mean, they LOCKED the other thread, it's ridiculous.

Should I post a replay of the big hit? Or how 'bout him trying a few tosses on the sideline? Oh, wait, he went straight to the locker room with Dad. How often does that happen? After half, I thought surely he'd try to rally his team in some way. Nope, off to the draft instead.
Pretty much what I thought. Nothing new here.

Users who are viewing this thread