What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I used to wanna be creamated but now I'm just like bury it (1 Viewer)

Funny you say that.   As I get older I think about burial more too.  I used to be like..Meh---roast me I don't care..And now I'm not as sure..Dunno why..

Standing around a corpse for hours quietly whispering is weird to me. 

I don’t want my family and friends last memory of me to be that version of myself. 

That’s me. :shrug:  
Not to mention the absurd expense taken on by your family for the whole thing. Just burn me up please. 

Standing around a corpse for hours quietly whispering is weird to me. 

I don’t want my family and friends last memory of me to be that version of myself. 

That’s me. :shrug:  
Yeah, I suppose the execution may leave a little to be desired.  But there is some purpose, closure for the living or some such.

I personally like the ones that turn into a reunion of sorts and actually end up with some festive moments in the midst of the solemn ones.  Coincidentally, when I think of the ones that have gone that way I think they've all been instances of cremation.  Maybe it's easier in that case than with a coffin sitting there.

You need to go to an Irish wake.
Yeah, this is my plan. My uncle did this a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. Just a bunch of his family and friends drinking and telling stories. The perfect way to go out. 

I'll be cremated and ashes sprinkled on a lake in Minnesota where me and my immediate family fish every year. We've caught so many fish and had so many stories on that lake that it's where I want to be.

And furthermore, it's a place where I know my kids will come to long after I'm gone and tell THEIR kids all of those stories and fun times and hopefully talk about me. Can't think of a better legacy than that. 

The good thing is you won`t know what they do with your body.
Possession is 9 tenths of the law. But it's best to put in writing what one wants regarding end of life care, including funeral wishes, to avoid conflicts between next of kin and make it easier for those who will make end of life decisions. If possible, prepay for your funeral expenses. The Five Wishes is an inexpensive way to do this. Per their web-site, it's legal in most states, the exception being the advance directive portion needs additional steps in 4 or 5 states. The 5 wishes from wiki:

Wish 1: The Person I Want to Make Care Decisions for Me When I Can't

This section is an assignment of a health care agent (also called proxy, surrogate, representative, or health care power of attorney). This person makes medical decisions on your behalf if you are unable to speak for yourself.

Wish 2: The Kind of Medical Treatment I Want or Don't Want 

This section is a living will—a definition of what life support treatment means to you, and when you would and would not want it.

Wish 3: How Comfortable I Want to Be

This section addresses matters of comfort care—what type of pain management you would like, personal grooming and bathing instructions, and whether you would like to know about options for hospice care, among others.

Wish 4: How I Want People to Treat Me

This section speaks to personal matters, such as whether you would like to be at home and whether you would like someone to pray at your bedside.

Wish 5: What I Want My Loved Ones to Know

This section deals with matters of forgiveness, how you wish to be remembered, and final wishes regarding funeral or memorial plans.

https://fivewishes.org/faqs

As a hockey goalie for as long as I can remember,  when I go, I want to be propped up with all my gear on in front of a net. At the entrance is a bucket of sticks and everyone gets one last shot on me. 

Then light up the fires, cremate me and spread some ashes in to the ice in the crease at my local rink. 

As a hockey goalie for as long as I can remember,  when I go, I want to be propped up with all my gear on in front of a net. At the entrance is a bucket of sticks and everyone gets one last shot on me. 

Then light up the fires, cremate me and spread some ashes in to the ice in the crease at my local rink

People trying to dump ashes in Disney's Haunted Mansions has been an issue for years.   Disney has said that anyone caught doing so will get a lifetime ban.  

I'd like to be launched into space...not in an orbit.  Send me in excess of escape velocity and let inertia do the rest.

supermike80 said:
Funny you say that.   As I get older I think about burial more too.  I used to be like..Meh---roast me I don't care..And now I'm not as sure..Dunno why..
I want to star in a zombie movie....as a zombie!

Cremation isn't necessarily cheap either...
How much is it roughly?   Never really thought about it or looked into it. 

Has to be exponentially cheaper than all the embalming, makeup, dress up, fancy casket, transportation to cemetery, tombstone purchase, burial ceremony nonsense.

Has to be exponentially cheaper than all the embalming, makeup, dress up, fancy casket, transportation to cemetery, tombstone purchase, burial ceremony nonsense.
You know people get cremated and still have the services etc.

Yes - full services - burial is more than cremation.

But you can get a no service burial. Closed casket doesnt involve makeup etc.

There are tons of factors.   You can buy a plot, small stone and be buried with no service, etc etc.

Many many factors that play in.   My MiL was cremated but is in a cemetery so we still paid for that

I started down a little rabbit hole after I posted this.  TBH, I am seeing a ridiculous spread of information.  This site puts the cost on average between $4k-$7k.  I have seen much lower and much higher.  There appears to be some regional variation, and of course, there are costs involved with other funeral traditions, not directly connected to the burning part.

Godsbrother said:
People trying to dump ashes in Disney's Haunted Mansions has been an issue for years.   Disney has said that anyone caught doing so will get a lifetime ban.  
I've been curious about how a place like Disney with tens of thousands of visitors a day monitors and enforces those who are banned from entry?  Or MLB or NFL, etc.  Facial recognition at the gate?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been curious about how a place like Disney with tens of thousands of visitors a day monitors and enfgorces those who are banned from entry?  Or MLB or NFL, etc.  Facial recognition at the gate?
when I was in college, my gb and I decided to go to DL with a pocket full of some epic weed... thinking we'd find a spot somewhere in the park to do some inconspicuous quick hitters. my gb's roommate at the time grew up working there and gave us this advice: tom sawyer's island would be a good bet, but there are undercover security everywhere. If they look like they're way too obviously tourists, it's a good bet they're undercover. (obviously before facial recognition or even cell phones). we got inside the park, walked straight to tom sawyer's island and EVERY SINGLE PERSON THERE looked like way too obvious tourists. we had to go back out to the car and smoke there. 

not sure if that answers your question, but it was fun to remember for me.

Godsbrother said:
I don't want people coming to view my body at a funeral home and I don't like the idea of rotting in the ground, taking up valuable real-estate.   Just cremate me and dump my ashes somewhere cool me.
This

And if I am put on display in a funeral home, I will come back and haunt your ###.

Godsbrother said:
:andydufresne: 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread