What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HVAC duct cleaning (1 Viewer)

Drunken Cowboy

Footballguy
I need to get my HVAC ducts cleaned. Anyone had this done recently. Curious as to the going rate. Also I get a sense upsells are maybe common. If anyone has paid for one any adds worth it; anything purely a scam?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any reason why you feel like you need to do it?

I've been in the HVAC industry for the last 15 years or so and I've never had it done nor would I ever have it done. The only time I would ever consider it is after I built a new house and did it before I moved in. Contractors are notorious for dropping trash and junk into the vents.

At my house all I'll ever do it take the floor vent covers off and shop vac right there since there is an elbow there that will catch food, kids toys, etc. But I would never pay for it.

Just dust? Or mildew?

I cleaned mine out when I moved in with a shop vac, as many extensions as a I could get a hold of, and the brush attachment. That was just for dust though. I also vacuum out the air return under the HVAC every year or so.

I haven't ever done the steam cleaning but have wondered about it.

I've been in the HVAC industry for the last 15 years or so and I've never had it done nor would I ever have it done. The only time I would ever consider it is after I built a new house and did it before I moved in. Contractors are notorious for dropping trash and junk into the vents.

At my house all I'll ever do it take the floor vent covers off and shop vac right there since there is an elbow there that will catch food, kids toys, etc. But I would never pay for it.
what if you have mold?

I was thinking about doing this too. Our home was built in the 1960's and has had only 3 owners including us. My guess is the ducts have never been cleaned. We've lived in our home for about 15 years and I've developed sinus issues and my wife has bronchitis. Could be a coincidence, but to help rule out an environmental factor I was thinking of having this done. I mean, there has to be tons of dust, hair, dead mice, mouse poop, who knows in there after 61 years. That's cool to just leave in there ?

Vents have been blowing dirty air. 

Just dust? Or mildew?

I cleaned mine out when I moved in with a shop vac, as many extensions as a I could get a hold of, and the brush attachment. That was just for dust though. I also vacuum out the air return under the HVAC every year or so.

I haven't ever done the steam cleaning but have wondered about it.
I am worried there might be mildew

That's a whole other thing.

If you (or anybody) suspect mold, call a mold remediation company. Not a duct cleaning company unless they are certified at removing mold.
I agree. If there is mold, it’s a different process. They need to contain the ducts, put them under negative pressure, clean them with an anti microbial solution, and then encapsulate them with an anti-microbial encapsulant.

If your filters are being replaced regularly and seated properly, there really shouldn’t be a lot of dust and dirt in your supply ducts.

I was thinking about doing this too. Our home was built in the 1960's and has had only 3 owners including us. My guess is the ducts have never been cleaned. We've lived in our home for about 15 years and I've developed sinus issues and my wife has bronchitis. Could be a coincidence, but to help rule out an environmental factor I was thinking of having this done. I mean, there has to be tons of dust, hair, dead mice, mouse poop, who knows in there after 61 years. That's cool to just leave in there ?
Don't stir it up.

Great advice

I agree. If there is mold, it’s a different process. They need to contain the ducts, put them under negative pressure, clean them with an anti microbial solution, and then encapsulate them with an anti-microbial encapsulant.

If your filters are being replaced regularly and seated properly, there really shouldn’t be a lot of dust and dirt in your supply ducts.
I change my filters regularly, but I am sure past owners didn't always do this. There definitely is a lot of dust in there 

Mostly true but most ducts are made of sheet metal so they just need to be cleaned, not encapsulated. Typically the only time you encapsulate (fancy word for paint) is on porous materials which cannot or doesn’t make sense to be removed such as wood framing. 

Also, anti-microbial solutions (like microban or benefect) are good but so is peroxide and almost any other cleaner as long as you wipe it down. Bleach literally just turns stuff clear, it doesn’t actually clean anything. Soap and water is even fine. (Obviously you have to get things dry quickly) 

Unless you’re immune compromised the mold stuff is really overblown. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t need to be addressed but in the end it is simply a detailed cleaning. 

Mold is EVERYWHERE already. What makes it grow is humidity/water. 

Oh and when our company did larger molds the ducts were always cleaned. The best company I ever used was called Ductz. They’re franchises so YMMV. 

I would not tell them you have mold. Not because you’re hiding it from them but you don’t actually know if you have mold and there is no sense in jacking up the price before you get started. 

I change my filters regularly, but I am sure past owners didn't always do this. There definitely is a lot of dust in there 
I am usually in Chiefs camp. Provided you haven’t run the furnace/air-handler for long periods of time without a filter at all you’re more than likely fine. 

however, in this case:

I would strongly consider it in a house that old. Chances are some of your ducts and returns are simply wood because in older homes they sometimes used the joists as ducts and there isn’t even sheet metal in there. 

I see ads for it from time to time, but seems unnecessary for most 
I think it’s like anything else. You get what you pay for.

IIRC - the cheapest company I subbed out for ducts that didn’t really need the cleaner was like $200. They just opened the returns and vets and sprayed compressed air and vacuumed.

The best place, Ductz (of Southern Maryland) charged $600+ and did an extremely thorough job, sprayed disinfectant, ran snakes and brushes through and more. 

Mostly true but most ducts are made of sheet metal so they just need to be cleaned, not encapsulated. Typically the only time you encapsulate (fancy word for paint) is on porous materials which cannot or doesn’t make sense to be removed such as wood framing. 

Also, anti-microbial solutions (like microban or benefect) are good but so is peroxide and almost any other cleaner as long as you wipe it down. Bleach literally just turns stuff clear, it doesn’t actually clean anything. Soap and water is even fine. (Obviously you have to get things dry quickly) 

Unless you’re immune compromised the mold stuff is really overblown. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t need to be addressed but in the end it is simply a detailed cleaning. 

Mold is EVERYWHERE already. What makes it grow is humidity/water. 

I don't think you understand how chlorine works. It will kill anything that peroxide will. But I wouldn't use it on ducts with metal exposed because it is corrosive.

I've thought about doing this. I live in the desert though so maybe we have more dust than those in other parts of the country? My only concern is they bang around in there and end up knocking a connection or two loose somewhere. House is about 18-19 years old. Doubt anyone has ever cleaned them.

I've thought about doing this. I live in the desert though so maybe we have more dust than those in other parts of the country? My only concern is they bang around in there and end up knocking a connection or two loose somewhere. House is about 18-19 years old. Doubt anyone has ever cleaned them.
But fundamentally, I expect that dust moves through the ducts and gets caught by the filter.

Our HVAC guy makes a big push for better quality filters ...not the inexpensive 'blue' filters but instead a pleated model that has a higher MERV rating.

But fundamentally, I expect that dust moves through the ducts and gets caught by the filter.

Our HVAC guy makes a big push for better quality filters ...not the inexpensive 'blue' filters but instead a pleated model that has a higher MERV rating.
I only use the pleated filters, do not get the highest rating because that restricts the airflow and makes the unit work too hard.

I've heard the exact opposite from multiple people. Use the cheap filters. The pleated ones don't offer enough air flow and are hard on your system.

@ChiefD ...can you comment on the above two responses regarding air filters?  Avoid pleated ...or avoid just the highest rated pleated filters?
Sure.

The cheap filters will filter out about 5% of the particulate matter in the air - really only large dust particles.

The pleated filters you buy off the shelf will filter about 80%. As you add MERV ratings - the higher the number the more it will filter.

Pleated filters are only a problem if your home is short of return air. If your system is short of return air a pleated filter can restrict air flow, which can cause all sorts of problems.

Most houses can handle at least a Merv 8 pleated filter. All I can say is try it. If you are short of return air you will notice it most during air conditioning season if your system freezes up from lack of air flow.

To make a long story short, I would always use a pleated filter over a cheap filter as long as you have enough return air to handle it.

You can always add an extra return if you need it.  We had our AC dude put in an extra since the one that was there was inadequate.  That made a clear difference.

You can always add an extra return if you need it.  We had our AC dude put in an extra since the one that was there was inadequate.  That made a clear difference.
We had them do this in our upstairs master bedroom when we had new units put in a few years ago. They added both an extra vent and an extra return. The room was extra hot as it had two outer walls. Seems to have helped alot.

Sure.

The cheap filters will filter out about 5% of the particulate matter in the air - really only large dust particles.

The pleated filters you buy off the shelf will filter about 80%. As you add MERV ratings - the higher the number the more it will filter.

Pleated filters are only a problem if your home is short of return air. If your system is short of return air a pleated filter can restrict air flow, which can cause all sorts of problems.

Most houses can handle at least a Merv 8 pleated filter. All I can say is try it. If you are short of return air you will notice it most during air conditioning season if your system freezes up from lack of air flow.

To make a long story short, I would always use a pleated filter over a cheap filter as long as you have enough return air to handle it.
Totally agree

so @ChiefD based on your post I have a question you may be able to handle.

I've been in the same house for 19 years.   I replaced my HVAC unit 7 years ago (maybe 6) - anyway, I never had a problem.

This year - my line would freeze up.  Guy comes out checks everything (of course everything looks great when he shows up).   Line freezes up again.  Of course when guy comes out everything looks great.  We used to keep one tamper closed downstairs in the summer, nver had a problem.  Senior tech comes out checks everything out, says filter is restricting flow.   Change filter - everything seems to work great.  2 weeks go by, it freezes again.

Turn everything off.  Guy comes out again, runs through the system and says everything looks great.  Didnt have an issue the rest of the year.   Did i have a dirty fan, clog somewhere, bad wiring.

The techs cleaned the entire unit outside and the guy inside said I might need a another return. I asked how could that be when i never had an issue until now.

tia

so @ChiefD based on your post I have a question you may be able to handle.

I've been in the same house for 19 years.   I replaced my HVAC unit 7 years ago (maybe 6) - anyway, I never had a problem.

This year - my line would freeze up.  Guy comes out checks everything (of course everything looks great when he shows up).   Line freezes up again.  Of course when guy comes out everything looks great.  We used to keep one tamper closed downstairs in the summer, nver had a problem.  Senior tech comes out checks everything out, says filter is restricting flow.   Change filter - everything seems to work great.  2 weeks go by, it freezes again.

Turn everything off.  Guy comes out again, runs through the system and says everything looks great.  Didnt have an issue the rest of the year.   Did i have a dirty fan, clog somewhere, bad wiring.

The techs cleaned the entire unit outside and the guy inside said I might need a another return. I asked how could that be when i never had an issue until now.

tia
Could be a number of things. Usually a line freezing up could be a couple of things:

1. Restricted filter

2. Low on refrigerant

3. Dirty air conditioner

4. Plugged/Dirty evaporator coil

5. Lack of return air

6. A stuck damper, or a damper where the handle failed and now it's not really in the position you think it is.

I doubt it's #5 since it's just now starting to happen after 6 years.

I would just ask the guys if they checked refrigerant levels (they probably did, especially if they sent out a senior tech). Ask them if they can check the evaporator coil to see if it's dirty. Ask them to check the damper to make sure it's operating properly.

The only other thing I would ask you is:

Have you moved furniture around this year or bought a new piece that is now sitting in front of a return air vent?

The techs cleaned the entire unit outside
Do you ever hose down the metal fins on the coil? Dust, dirt and pollen collect between them. I have to rinse mine off every year after the cottonwood next door releases its seed.

We just went through this...If you have an older Carrier/Bryant/Payne furnace it's probably producing CO2 into your system...

CO2 lawsuit

Users who are viewing this thread