What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hurricane Joaquin - Eagles vs Redskins game possibly affected (1 Viewer)

if the hurricane hits someone is getting screwed, the question is just who and how badly
Break out the skeleton playing a violin. This entire hobby is just a time waster, and we collectively (myself included) sometimes get too caught up in it. Que sera...sera

if the hurricane hits someone is getting screwed, the question is just who and how badly
Break out the skeleton playing a violin. This entire hobby is just a time waster, and we collectively (myself included) sometimes get too caught up in it. Que sera...sera
i mean past the fans

if they move it to a neutral location the home team and their fans get screwed

if they move it up a day both teams and the home team fans are screwed, ditto if they move it back a few days

if they move it to week 8 their bye weeks are not really bye weeks

there's no great solution. Logistics will dictate, and i think week 8 is a real possibility

I remember the Steelers - Dolphins game that was postponed a few years ago. They played it on a Tuesday night and the grass field was a quagmire.

One punt even came down and stuck in the mud - no bounce, no movement at all.

It was a 0-0 game until the Steelers finally gained enough yards to kick a FG for a 3-0 win. Isn't Fedex a grass field ?

I remember the Steelers - Dolphins game that was postponed a few years ago. They played it on a Tuesday night and the grass field was a quagmire.

It was a 0-0 game until the Steelers finally gained enough yards to kick a FG for a 3-0 win. Isn't Fedex a grass field ?
That was in 2004 I believe, it was played Sunday night instead of Sunday afternoon. That was Big Ben's first NFL Start.

Titans and Dolphins ahd a game moved to Saturday a few year ago.

ESPN wouldn't pick up the game, it be on local FOX Stations. They have the license for the game.

Yup FedEx is grass. If they do play in a rain storm, the field will be sloppy as hell. FedEx doesn't have the best reputation as far as field condition.

Yup FedEx is grass. If they do play in a rain storm, the field will be sloppy as hell. FedEx doesn't have the best reputation as far as field condition.
torn acl city.

That was in 2004 I believe, it was played Sunday night instead of Sunday afternoon. That was Big Ben's first NFL Start.

ESPN wouldn't pick up the game, it be on local FOX Stations. They have the license for the game.
i forgot about that one but I was talking about this game in 2007.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/27/sports/27iht-NFL.1.8493504.html?_r=0

i mean past the fans

if they move it to a neutral location the home team and their fans get screwed

if they move it up a day both teams and the home team fans are screwed, ditto if they move it back a few days

if they move it to week 8 their bye weeks are not really bye weeks

there's no great solution. Logistics will dictate, and i think week 8 is a real possibility
I think it's going to hurt one team more then the other no matter what they do. Neutral site, moving it to philly, or pushing it a day or two hurts washington. Playing in a hurricane hurts Philly more I think. Moving it to week 8 hurts both teams, but I think specifically Philly. Not a good situation for anyone, really.

Wasn't that Ricky Williams' first game back? Had a few awesome carries, then got stepped on by Harrison and left the game. I was so pumped to pick up Williams of waivers, finally getting into my lineup. Needed 6 points that night, and got 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil Sheridan
ESPN Staff Writer

Eagles open practice Thursday with Scorpions' "Rock You Like a Hurricane" blaring from the speakers.

Reading comprehension is hard.

This article says the game will be played this weekend, but the where and when has not yet been decided.
My reading comprehension is just fine thank you. The intent of my post was that the game is going to be played on Sunday @ 1pm which is exactly what is stated in the article. While the location is certainly of interest the main thing for those who have players in this game is that you count on them playing vs possibly having to look at other options were the game moved to week 8.

I wish the best for the folks in VA. Good luck. - Ok let's say the storm slides east, it could still dump a ton of rain on the game right? Could be a FF slopfest if played on Sunday anyway.
It's going to be rainy either way. Difference could be normal heavy rains or rains with 30+ MPH winds. NFL teams deal with the former regularly. Heavy winds are what wreaks havoc more than rain

What about playing the game in Philly and then swapping the next Philly/Redskins game. Not ideal but maybe? I don't know if the storm will impact Philly much.
Philly is actually further East and near the coast than DC. Probably not much of a difference weather wise.
Considering potential tracks and the fact that any impact would be felt 1-2 days later, it's an enormous difference. Philly will have some rain Sunday but not much more

What about playing the game in Philly and then swapping the next Philly/Redskins game. Not ideal but maybe? I don't know if the storm will impact Philly much.
Philly is actually further East and near the coast than DC. Probably not much of a difference weather wise.
Considering potential tracks and the fact that any impact would be felt 1-2 days later, it's an enormous difference. Philly will have some rain Sunday but not much more
I don't believe this is correct.

Philly is diagonally northeast 139 miles and if the giant swirl of the hurricane hits one, it will hit the other a short time later. North-South it's not that significant of a distance for such a huge storm.

Map comes up in simple google link here https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1KMZB_enUS529US529&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=philadelphia%20to%20washington%20dc&es_th=1

Insein said:
Severe impact to less active owners maybe. It would be on the news, radio etc.
Do all owners have viable options on the waiver wire for starting players on short notice?

Either way the storm looks to be missing the stadium for the most part. So carry on.

Insein said:
Do all owners have viable options on the waiver wire for starting players on short notice?

Either way the storm looks to be missing the stadium for the most part. So carry on.
Most teams should have planned for byes, and if they don't have back ups that's their fault. the only place i feel sorry is 0 bench leagues. and if anyone loses in Fanduel/Draftkings for not pulling players it's their own fault. Wish it was still legal to play in Washington...

Philly is diagonally northeast 139 miles and if the giant swirl of the hurricane hits one, it will hit the other a short time later. North-South it's not that significant of a distance for such a huge storm.

Map comes up in simple google link here https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1KMZB_enUS529US529&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=philadelphia%20to%20washington%20dc&es_th=1
Good Lord.

Hurricanes tend to bend towards the sea. 139 miles, mostly over land, is at least an 8-12 hour difference for effects. If the hurricane traveled over DC, it would be SIGNIFICANTLY weaker before it ever hit Philly. 130 miles of land to move over is a ton for a hurricane to try to maintain strength.

Philly would be 100X safer than DC in this scenario.

Looks like it doesn't much matter though. Appears likely to have minimal impact.

That wasn't a postponed game, though - that was a Monday night game delayed for 25 minutes due to lightning.

Insein said:

Most teams should have planned for byes, and if they don't have back ups that's their fault. the only place i feel sorry is 0 bench leagues. and if anyone loses in Fanduel/Draftkings for not pulling players it's their own fault. Wish it was still legal to play in Washington...
I did plan for the byes. I have Gronk and Jordan Reed.

I guess it's my fault I don't have a 3rd....

Insein said:

I think most have planned for byes. But if you have, Gronk or Walker and your backup plan is Reed or Ertz/Celek for the bye, then you've got to drop a player you weren't counting on to add an emergency 3rd TE.

I think it'll be moot, but something like this can mess with the lineup of even someone who plans ahead.

ETA--What he said above. :) That's what you get for opening up 25 tabs and reading them one by one as you eat dinner.

renesauz said:
Bri said:
renesauz said:

Good Lord.

Hurricanes tend to bend towards the sea. 139 miles, mostly over land, is at least an 8-12 hour difference for effects. If the hurricane traveled over DC, it would be SIGNIFICANTLY weaker before it ever hit Philly. 130 miles of land to move over is a ton for a hurricane to try to maintain strength.

Looks like it doesn't much matter though. Appears likely to have minimal impact.
The average diameter of a hurricane is 300-400 miles wide.

torn acl city.
Actually sloppy conditions should help avoid extra stress on ligaments as cleats will slip prior to tendons tearing this preventing injuries.

renesauz said:
Bri said:
renesauz said:

Good Lord.

Wow are you being obtuse.

The leading edge of a hurricane hitting DC would hit Philly a minimum of 12 hours later at less than half the strength. The simple geography you spoke of earlier. Philly would get PLENTY of the rain...but not so much of the wind.

renesauz said:
Bri said:
renesauz said:
I don't believe this is correct. Philly is diagonally northeast 139 miles and if the giant swirl of the hurricane hits one, it will hit the other a short time later. North-South it's not that significant of a distance for such a huge storm.

Good Lord.Hurricanes tend to bend towards the sea. 139 miles, mostly over land, is at least an 8-12 hour difference for effects. If the hurricane traveled over DC, it would be SIGNIFICANTLY weaker before it ever hit Philly. 130 miles of land to move over is a ton for a hurricane to try to maintain strength.

Wow are you being obtuse.The leading edge of a hurricane hitting DC would hit Philly a minimum of 12 hours later at less than half the strength. The simple geography you spoke of earlier. Philly would get PLENTY of the rain...but not so much of the wind.
Is your assertion that hurricanes move at ~10 mph???

renesauz said:
Bri said:
renesauz said:
I don't believe this is correct. Philly is diagonally northeast 139 miles and if the giant swirl of the hurricane hits one, it will hit the other a short time later. North-South it's not that significant of a distance for such a huge storm.

Good Lord.Hurricanes tend to bend towards the sea. 139 miles, mostly over land, is at least an 8-12 hour difference for effects. If the hurricane traveled over DC, it would be SIGNIFICANTLY weaker before it ever hit Philly. 130 miles of land to move over is a ton for a hurricane to try to maintain strength.

Wow are you being obtuse.The leading edge of a hurricane hitting DC would hit Philly a minimum of 12 hours later at less than half the strength. The simple geography you spoke of earlier. Philly would get PLENTY of the rain...but not so much of the wind.
Moving over land they slow down and weaken quickly

renesauz said:
Bri said:
renesauz said:

Moving over land they slow down and weaken quickly
:lol:

Time to go back to school, son.

Weaken quickly, yes. Over land tropical storms lose their warm core energy source which is warm ocean water. Winds decrease rapidly but precipitation can maintain its intensity even after it's classified as extra tropical, Slow quickly, not necessarily. Movement speed is completely dependent on upper air patterns so each storm is unique in this respect.

Does the weather downgrade receivers like Matthews and Reed?
If it's just rain, not really. A wet playing surface helps the receiver, who knows where he wants to go, rather than the defender, who has to try to quickly react. But keep your eye on the wind speeds. Excessive wind will significantly hamper the passing game.

If it's just rain, not really. A wet playing surface helps the receiver, who knows where he wants to go, rather than the defender, who has to try to quickly react. But keep your eye on the wind speeds. Excessive wind will significantly hamper the passing game.
The playing surface FedEx Field is atrocious when it conditions are good. If there's enough rain (and it looks like there could be), that place will be a swampy mess. At this point, I would begin downgrading all skill position players and possibly upgrade both defenses.

I wouldn't cut things drastically yet, but probably by about 20%. It's enough to change someone out of your starting lineup if two guys are close, IMO.

The playing surface FedEx Field is atrocious when it conditions are good. If there's enough rain (and it looks like there could be), that place will be a swampy mess. At this point, I would begin downgrading all skill position players and possibly upgrade both defenses.

I wouldn't cut things drastically yet, but probably by about 20%. It's enough to change someone out of your starting lineup if two guys are close, IMO.
Yeah, If it gets to where there's puddling or the turf itself starts coming up, it could be a 13-7 type snoozer. Hopefully it's covered until gametime and the rain isn't crazy heavy on Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread