What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Howard Stern*** (2 Viewers)

They aren’t in studio now? What are Sal and Richard doing if they aren’t there?
I doubt he'll ever do an in studio show again. Ronnie moved to Vegas, I think Gary is in Florida and I doubt Howard will ever live in NYC again. I don't even know what Richard and Sal are up to. Last I remember, Richard took 3 months off for paternity leave, even though they were all virtual.

End of an era as I cancelled my Sirius this morning. I've listened to Howard for close to 40 years but really tailed off over the past year. For me, the virtual shows just weren't cutting it. I was actually hoping he didn't renew his contract the last time.

I fell behind like a month or two last year and even with his summer off in 2021, I never caught up. I found myself fast-forwarding through so much of the episodes on the app that it just made me realize I wasn't into it anymore. The in studio antics were sorely missed. Too much covid, too much politics, the same celebrity interviews. 

I still love Howard for all the years of entertainment he provided over so many years. It's weird to not know what's going on in the Stern Show world. Maybe I'll check his website to get some recaps since it's tough to go cold turkey.

Baba Booey to ya'll!  :banned:
This is 100% me but it happened last year. Have listened to him for over 20yrs and considered myself a big fan. But I canceled the credit card that was linked to the Sirius account (for other reasons) and found I wasn’t missing the show when I couldn’t hear it any longer.  Over the past year I have not once regretted that decision.   

I listen now and again.  He went on a rant the other day about some rich guy who married a younger, hot woman and was commenting on how could the guy not realize why the woman is with him.  I can't believe Howard is obtuse enough to not realize that he's in the exact same situation.

This is 100% me but it happened last year. Have listened to him for over 20yrs and considered myself a big fan. But I canceled the credit card that was linked to the Sirius account (for other reasons) and found I wasn’t missing the show when I couldn’t hear it any longer.  Over the past year I have not once regretted that decision.   
Once he drooped down days and sirius upped their pricing i was out....  5 years ago maybe?   

Our new car does have 6 months of sirius for free - so its nice to have but still dont listen to Stern...

End of an era as I cancelled my Sirius this morning. I've listened to Howard for close to 40 years but really tailed off over the past year. For me, the virtual shows just weren't cutting it. I was actually hoping he didn't renew his contract the last time.

I fell behind like a month or two last year and even with his summer off in 2021, I never caught up. I found myself fast-forwarding through so much of the episodes on the app that it just made me realize I wasn't into it anymore. The in studio antics were sorely missed. Too much covid, too much politics, the same celebrity interviews. 

I still love Howard for all the years of entertainment he provided over so many years. It's weird to not know what's going on in the Stern Show world. Maybe I'll check his website to get some recaps since it's tough to go cold turkey.

Baba Booey to ya'll!  :banned:
Yep, I quit listening to him when he went political

When I got my Sirius subscription 12 or 13 years ago, I bought the lifetime plan for $299

im thinking they are kicking themselves for offering that since I have really come out on top.  I don’t listen as much as I used to but I do every once in a while. My wife still listens. His interviews with musical guests are still good. 

When I got my Sirius subscription 12 or 13 years ago, I bought the lifetime plan for $299

im thinking they are kicking themselves for offering that since I have really come out on top.  I don’t listen as much as I used to but I do every once in a while. My wife still listens. His interviews with musical guests are still good. 
Really wish I had done this in 2005 when I first subscribed. They now get me for almost $500/yr for 2 subscriptions. Although I negotiate that down every year to about half that price. But that lifetime price only applied to the life of the receiver it was attached to, correct? As in, when the radio dies, so did the subscription? That was my impression,  anyway. The 2 receivers I bought at the time I initially subscribed have both been gone for a looong time.

I still listen sometimes when I'm in the car, but its not very good. I use Sirius more for the music channels anyway.

As for Howard....COVID was basically the excuse he needed to avoid any unnecessary human contact for the rest of his life. He likes having famous friends because it gives him the validation of finally being accepted by the beautiful people...but he doesn't actually want to DO anything.

So now he just gets to sit in his enormous house with his expensive pens...painting water colors, watching women's TV shows and complaining about how everyone else's interests are pointless and stupid.  Then every once in a while he has sex with his trophy wife and goes to sleep at 8:30.  The only downside for him is that his house is filled with like 500 cats (which, no matter how much you love animals...still has to be terrible).

To each their own, I guess. But man....it must be sort of depressing having hundreds of millions of dollars when you lack any of the motivation to actually enjoy it. Just speaks to the miserable person that he is. Imagine if he didn't have Beth and her endless positivity in his life.

Really wish I had done this in 2005 when I first subscribed. They now get me for almost $500/yr for 2 subscriptions. Although I negotiate that down every year to about half that price. But that lifetime price only applied to the life of the receiver it was attached to, correct? As in, when the radio dies, so did the subscription? That was my impression,  anyway. The 2 receivers I bought at the time I initially subscribed have both been gone for a looong time.
Technically, yes, BUT

You are able to transfer the service to 3 new receivers. However, I don’t even use the receiver anymore (still on first one). I just use the app and run it through Amazon echo auto or Bluetooth in my car. 
So, to sum up, the lifetime gives me lifetime to the app as well. Something I don’t think Sirius anticipated when they offered the lifetime plans. I’m not complaining. 

Technically, yes, BUT

You are able to transfer the service to 3 new receivers. However, I don’t even use the receiver anymore (still on first one). I just use the app and run it through Amazon echo auto or Bluetooth in my car. 
So, to sum up, the lifetime gives me lifetime to the app as well. Something I don’t think Sirius anticipated when they offered the lifetime plans. I’m not complaining. 
I burned through my first transition to a new receiver last year.  Their "free" still cost a $70 transfer cost.  Love that I paid the $500 in 2005 but wouldn't have Sirius if it wasn't free at this point.   

I still listen sometimes when I'm in the car, but its not very good. I use Sirius more for the music channels anyway.

As for Howard....COVID was basically the excuse he needed to avoid any unnecessary human contact for the rest of his life. He likes having famous friends because it gives him the validation of finally being accepted by the beautiful people...but he doesn't actually want to DO anything.

So now he just gets to sit in his enormous house with his expensive pens...painting water colors, watching women's TV shows and complaining about how everyone else's interests are pointless and stupid.  Then every once in a while he has sex with his trophy wife and goes to sleep at 8:30.  The only downside for him is that his house is filled with like 500 cats (which, no matter how much you love animals...still has to be terrible).

To each their own, I guess. But man....it must be sort of depressing having hundreds of millions of dollars when you lack any of the motivation to actually enjoy it. Just speaks to the miserable person that he is. Imagine if he didn't have Beth and her endless positivity in his life.

This post exactly encapsulates my thinking about Howard and how miserable he is.  What a waste.

Technically, yes, BUT

I burned through my first transition to a new receiver last year.  Their "free" still cost a $70 transfer cost.  Love that I paid the $500 in 2005 but wouldn't have Sirius if it wasn't free at this point.   

If I understand correctly, I think it has changed recently and you can now transfer an unlimited number of times for only $35 per switch.

https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/prweb/autoredirect/app/ExternalKM/help/SupportCenter/article/KC-2770/Can-I-transfer-my-Lifetime-subscription-to-a-new-radio?

I'm like AcerFC, though.  I just use the app these days anyway and connect to the car when needed there.  My old receiver still works, but it's somewhere in the basement.  

I actually wound up signing back with Sirius when they offered $60 for the year. We have 2 big road trips coming up, so Sirius is a must so my wife doesn't have to keep scrolling on air channels as we go. 

I listen to Howard maybe 10-15 minutes a week since I don't drive too much normally. It's nice to keep up a little and was tough going cold turkey without his show. I used to listen to his entire show every day but this is ok now.

I am back to listening in the car a few times a week since getting a new ride last year. Still find it very funny at times but love when I stumble on replays of Eric the Actor and Gilbert on 101. 

I'm someone who has stuck with Stern pretty loyally for probably 25 years. The best innovation was having the ability to download each show to my phone and listen anytime I want. I do think that he's basically been phoning it in the past few years, but the two-hour actor/musician/comedian interviews are still very much worth the listen and keep me coming back.

HOWEVER, I can't take the daily 30-60 minute updates on his parents and their medical problems. My dad, who's in his 80s, lives with me, and fortunately he's in good shape, but I can definitely see how it's a hardship to deal with ailing, elderly parents. No argument there. But every day is the same routine where he imitates his mother's voice using the megaphone and repeats the same stories a half-dozen times. I end up skipping those entire segments, and then skipping them again at the end of the show when he closes with the same rants. 

Yeah I stopped listening when the show got too political the past few years.  I turned it on last week only to hear Robin flat lie and everyone just rolled with it like she was telling the truth.  They were talking about vaccines and she said something about how Fox News tells everyone not to get vaccinated.  I have watched a lot of Fox News and never once heard that.

Yeah, RIP Fred.

The story of him soiling himself on the train on the way to Gary's car dealership appearance was an all timer

With his dad gone and his mom bedridden, it's probably not his favorite topic.

He did talk about his dad and his glass eye this week. Thought it was interesting

Him still acting like covid is the plague and claiming that anyone living their life is asking for death is a little old

He did talk about his dad and his glass eye this week. Thought it was interesting

Him still acting like covid is the plague and claiming that anyone living their life is asking for death is a little old
Does he go in the studio routinely now or still from home?

Does he go in the studio routinely now or still from home?

He went in for the Springsteen interview and maybe some others....but home most of the time I think

Howard’s always been a huge germ phobe. One of my favorite guest appearances was when Norm McDonald spit a bunch of phlegm on the studio floor, freaking Howard out.

It's hard to listen to the show nowadays. I'll listen to certain segments but those add up to about 20 minutes of entertainment out of a 4 hour show. Used to be a far better ratio.

The slobbering about the Bruce Springsteen interview being some amazing revolutionary moment was bizarre. I don't know anyone under 55 who really cares about Springsteen. Maybe that's his target audience now.

I saw a commercial last night for Nutrisystem and up pops Jason Kaplan...lmao. I knew it was him before they showed his name. So funny.

It's hard to listen to the show nowadays. I'll listen to certain segments but those add up to about 20 minutes of entertainment out of a 4 hour show. Used to be a far better ratio.

The slobbering about the Bruce Springsteen interview being some amazing revolutionary moment was bizarre. I don't know anyone under 55 who really cares about Springsteen. Maybe that's his target audience now.
I'm not big on interviews in general, but I think he really is pretty good at it. I still end up skipping them once in a while when I don't find the person very interesting, but I've ended up listening to a decent number that I thought I wouldn't be interested in just because he helps the person feel comfortable sharing stuff that makes them more human.
I like Bruce, but never considered myself a big fan so I thought about skipping that one, but glad I listened because it was really good. Was driving late at night and the dude got me to tear up talking about singing to his dying friend.

David Letterman's YouTube channel has been uploading clips of his celebrity interviews.

It is something to watch a mid-thirties Howard with his giant glasses, and cheesy 'stache just firing on all cylinders.

On one show he spent the whole segment ranting about how lazy and unfunny Johnny Carson was. Letterman looked genuinely shocked.

used to love howard...listened every day and would even relisten...once Artie left and he never replaced him it was a slow phase out....dont even listen anymore. Some great years though from K-Rock to early Sirius.

He went in for the Springsteen interview
happened to catch most of a pretty lengthy virtual interview with Stern on Morning Joe a few weeks ago.

was a fan 35 years ago but not since so i was surprised to hear him say he hasn't been out of his house for almost 3 years. (comically said he's like a Japanese soldier hiding in the jungle for decades after the war was over).

anyway, he said that because Springsteen insisted that their interview would be better in person he agreed to do that, and that it was surreal having Springsteen in his (Howard's) living room with his guitar, playing and singing. so, if he's to be believed, he apparently had Springsteen come to his home, rather than Howard leave.

anyway, he said that because Springsteen insisted that their interview would be better in person he agreed to do that, and that it was surreal having Springsteen in his (Howard's) living room with his guitar, playing and singing. so, if he's to be believed, he apparently had Springsteen come to his home, rather than Howard leave.
Hmm. I thought the interview was in the Sirius studios. I could be wrong.

Google says you are right, so i'm probably wrong, unless Howard was being "creative". (hope he was, otherwise i'm insane)

was a fan 35 years ago but not since so i was surprised to hear him say he hasn't been out of his house for almost 3 years.
Are you serious? That’s insane. His wife is still with him?
yeah, he's terrified of getting Covid. somebody upthread said he's been a germaphobe for years. wife still with him. she's unusual herself. he said they have adopted out over 1000 cats from their home.

I
he said they have adopted out over 1000 cats from their home.
Come on.
Believe they have like 20+ in their house at any time (between their full time cats and fosters). It's gotten to the point where they have to separate certain ones that don't get along (so they quarantine the "upstairs cats" from the "downstairs cats".

His wife spends hours a day cleaning out litter boxes.

Guess this is the price he pays for having a trophy wife but refusing to leave the house and do anything with her. He gets to stay home and be miserable with his billion dollars and she gets to go out with her friends and have dozens of cats crapping all over the house.

Google says you are right, so i'm probably wrong, unless Howard was being "creative". (hope he was, otherwise i'm insane)
Yeah I'm sure that was just a figure of speech referring to his studio as his own living room. There was plenty of talk about them both being at the studio.
And he didn't mean he literally hasn't left his house in 3 years. He talks about going for walks, visiting his mother, and that kind of stuff. I imagine he didn't do too much outside his house other than that and the office before the pandemic anyway. Now he just doesn't socialize outside the house either (except for at least one Jimmy Kimmel dinner he talked about).

Yeah I'm sure that was just a figure of speech referring to his studio as his own living room. There was plenty of talk about them both being at the studio.
And he didn't mean he literally hasn't left his house in 3 years. He talks about going for walks, visiting his mother, and that kind of stuff. I imagine he didn't do too much outside his house other than that and the office before the pandemic anyway. Now he just doesn't socialize outside the house either (except for at least one Jimmy Kimmel dinner he talked about).

It was definitely in studio. There was a big deal online from a bunch of people that worked at SXM about how locked down everything was that day so no one could get near Howard. Other than that he hasn't been in the studio for 3 years.

Sadly, after a good 30+ years of listening to him, I've pretty much stopped over the last few years. I don't really care about the political stuff, but I'm not really a fan of his interviews and that seems to be what drives 90% of the show now. I don't really need to hear another hour of him talk to Adam Levine or another "friend of the court" about their daddy issues. I think the current batch of writers and on-air staff is pretty hacky too (WTF is with the morning zoo door knock/terrible impressions?). Either way, he's earned the right to do what he wants, it just seems like I've moved out of his core demographic.

It was definitely in studio. There was a big deal online from a bunch of people that worked at SXM about how locked down everything was that day so no one could get near Howard. Other than that he hasn't been in the studio for 3 years.
I’m sure he’s made SXM a ton of money but they have to love having that expensive studio just sitting there.

If I hear 10 minutes a week of his show, that's a lot. The politics and covid over reaction really made it tough to listen to. And I don't really know why, but I don't want to listen to celebrity interviews anymore. They all seem to sound so whiny and privileged and take themselves too seriously. I'd love to listen to a condensed version of just random news stories and the crew busting on each other. The fun stuff.

Technically, yes, BUT

I burned through my first transition to a new receiver last year. Their "free" still cost a $70 transfer cost. Love that I paid the $500 in 2005 but wouldn't have Sirius if it wasn't free at this point.

If I understand correctly, I think it has changed recently and you can now transfer an unlimited number of times for only $35 per switch.

https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/p...sfer-my-Lifetime-subscription-to-a-new-radio?

I'm like AcerFC, though. I just use the app these days anyway and connect to the car when needed there. My old receiver still works, but it's somewhere in the basement.

oh man - reading this now almost a year later... I had no idea you could do this. I had an old radio that I bought the lifetime sub for, but haven't used it in a few years. Just transferred that sub to one of the cars - sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread