What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How will the NFL handle scheduling the remainder of football this year? (1 Viewer)

How will the NFL handle scheduling the remainder of football this year?

• variation on option 1, where both teams are credited with a win.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
They players probably still want to play and get paid, that's something to consider.
Another big obvious issue is Hamlin. God forbid the worst news comes out, say Saturday. You think the Bills will play this weekend? Prolly not. It would be a forfeit if they didn't.
Everyone needs to get back to playing, but the outcome/timing of whatever happens with Hamlin is gonna play a role.

As much as I agreed with stopping the game Monday night....I struggle with the continued discussion or thoughts of Buffalo not playing this weekend, regardless of Hamlers outcome.

People die. People die at work. Sometimes people die in crazy impactful ways at work. It's always happened, and it always will. If it happens at a mom and pop store with 5 employees all super close...it's perfectly reasonable to shut things down for a couple weeks. If it happens in a business with 150 employees and hundreds of thousands at stake? They take a couple of days. When it happens to a trillion dollar business with many millions at stake....you move on with a few allowances for the few employees most affected.

They made a mistake not re-scheduling for Wednesday night, and now there's no easy fix. I expect they'll use winning percentages and just move on.

I sincerely hope this kid comes out of this. But we can't let the world stop.

@ProFootballTalk
says on
@937theFan
he got wind from high level NFL people that the following NFL schedule could happen:

Week 19 Bengals/Bills NFC wild card playoffs AFC playoff bye week
Week 20 AFC wild card playoffs NFC playoff bye week
This would alleviate the "solution" I posted earlier where the NFC champ would get the bye week before the Super Bowl and the AFC champ would not.

I don't know if this was discussed in this thread earlier but putting it out there that the NFL won't move a single playoff game without approval and total support from their TV partners. Saying that I got no idea if the TV partners have a preference, what kind of programming they have lined up, etc,etc, just saying any discussion that might involve changing times and dates on playoffs is not going to be a unilateral NFL decision.

They players probably still want to play and get paid, that's something to consider.
Another big obvious issue is Hamlin. God forbid the worst news comes out, say Saturday. You think the Bills will play this weekend? Prolly not. It would be a forfeit if they didn't.
Everyone needs to get back to playing, but the outcome/timing of whatever happens with Hamlin is gonna play a role.
I know this is unpopular and everybody hates having this pointed out, but Damar Hamlin's health is immaterial to what happens to the season going forward. If the league could give Hamlin a full recovery by cancelling the playoffs altogether, of course they should do so. But they can't. I feel like a bunch of people are stuck in the "bargaining" stage right now, and that's not how this works.

All of us are going to die. If I was a player on a playoff team, I would not want approach old age wondering what would have happened if we hadn't given up on the season with one week left to go, all to "support" a teammate who gained absolutely nothing from our little gesture one way or the other.

To be totally clear, Damar Hamlin's health is clearly and obviously the most important aspect of this story, but that's outside of the league's control. What is under their control is how the schedule plays out. That's what they should focused on.

As much as I agreed with stopping the game Monday night....I struggle with the continued discussion or thoughts of Buffalo not playing this weekend, regardless of Hamlers outcome.

People die. People die at work. Sometimes people die in crazy impactful ways at work. It's always happened, and it always will. If it happens at a mom and pop store with 5 employees all super close...it's perfectly reasonable to shut things down for a couple weeks. If it happens in a business with 150 employees and hundreds of thousands at stake? They take a couple of days. When it happens to a trillion dollar business with many millions at stake....you move on with a few allowances for the few employees most affected.

They made a mistake not re-scheduling for Wednesday night, and now there's no easy fix. I expect they'll use winning percentages and just move on.

I sincerely hope this kid comes out of this. But we can't let the world stop.
I'm sympathetic to your take here...and I had a similar initial reaction....but I think a Wednesday reschedule would have faced withering criticism from all sides...similar to what would have happened if the NFL did not take a week off after 9/11.

It's a delicate topic for sure....and I'm happy folks haven't blasted each other in this thread. If we can't come to concensus, imagine how hard it is for the billionaires to.

I know this is unpopular and everybody hates having this pointed out, but Damar Hamlin's health is immaterial to what happens to the season going forward. If the league could give Hamlin a full recovery by cancelling the playoffs altogether, of course they should do so. But they can't. I feel like a bunch of people are stuck in the "bargaining" stage right now, and that's not how this works.

All of us are going to die. If I was a player on a playoff team, I would not want approach old age wondering what would have happened if we hadn't given up on the season with one week left to go, all to "support" a teammate who gained absolutely nothing from our little gesture one way or the other.

To be totally clear, Damar Hamlin's health is clearly and obviously the most important aspect of this story, but that's outside of the league's control. What is under their control is how the schedule plays out. That's what they should focused on.

How do you know they haven't already decided? There is no "fair" solution here. My "guess" is that the NFL has already decided that BUF @ CIN does not exist. They will have played one less game than every other team. Any other solution will make a messy situation even messier and for what? It still will not be a fair solution. To squeeze this game in somewhere is going to put some at an advantage and others at a disadvantage.

There is no scenario the Bills should want to play a make up game against Cincy while the rest of the AFC rests. Nor the Bengals for that matter.

This was not a week off for them. They practiced, played half a quarter and went through emotional trauma.

They both play week 18 then Week 19 they play each other while the other playoff teams rest?

The Bills would allow their future opponent a week of rest so they had a CHANCE at home field and a week of rest.

The Bengals would allow their future opponent a week of rest so they had a CHANCE at a home game.

No thanks (if they get any say in the matter)

And there's rumblings Buffalo doesn't play this weekend, so i'll ask 1 more question for enquiring minds.
Should Buffalo watch KC win Sat Night and knowing that winning % might be the final verdict which would make the game vs the Patriots meaningless and rather than play it like preseason and risk injuries to anyone on the field, just dial down into the mental health vein and inform the NFL that you all will be ready to roll when Wildcard weekend starts? Just tell us where we are flying into, looks like Jacksonville possibly...you catch my drift?
Why risk further injuries if Sunday doesn't count? You can't just play scrubs, there still will be starting players that shuffle into the game, all things considered, they can make their own Bye week this week and just get ready for JAX/TEN
Wait. Are you saying the Bills may opt-out of playing this Sunday and take the forfeit?

For what it is worth, the Bengals' players at the very least gave a passing thought to not playing.

Link

There is no scenario the Bills should want to play a make up game against Cincy while the rest of the AFC rests. Nor the Bengals for that matter.

This was not a week off for them. They practiced, played half a quarter and went through emotional trauma.

They both play week 18 then Week 19 they play each other while the other playoff teams rest?

The Bills would allow their future opponent a week of rest so they had a CHANCE at home field and a week of rest.

The Bengals would allow their future opponent a week of rest so they had a CHANCE at a home game.

No thanks (if they get any say in the matter)
I think you are way underestimating the value of having to play one less playoff game.

It will boil down to BUF either wanting to play a regular season game to potentially not have to play a playoff game. Or not play a regular season game and have to play an extra playoff game. Sure, it’s possible they would end up having to play both the regular season game AND an extra playoff game. But I would suggest most NFL teams would welcome the opportunity to get a playoff bye and HFA through the playoffs.

Last edited:
They were going to take game checks from players that were ruled out for Covid and had no jab. They will absolutely not pay healthy players that refuse to play regardless of the PR.

And there's rumblings Buffalo doesn't play this weekend, so i'll ask 1 more question for enquiring minds.
Should Buffalo watch KC win Sat Night and knowing that winning % might be the final verdict which would make the game vs the Patriots meaningless and rather than play it like preseason and risk injuries to anyone on the field, just dial down into the mental health vein and inform the NFL that you all will be ready to roll when Wildcard weekend starts? Just tell us where we are flying into, looks like Jacksonville possibly...you catch my drift?
Why risk further injuries if Sunday doesn't count? You can't just play scrubs, there still will be starting players that shuffle into the game, all things considered, they can make their own Bye week this week and just get ready for JAX/TEN
Wait. Are you saying the Bills may opt-out of playing this Sunday and take the forfeit?

For what it is worth, the Bengals' players at the very least gave a passing thought to not playing.

Link
If they don’t finish the Bills game, there really isn’t a lot of incentive for CIN to play BAL. if the Bills game is declared a tie or no contest, CIN wins the division. They also could no longer get the 1 seed. If I were Burrow, I’d want to sit out the Ravens game,too. Rest up for the playoffs.

The league is most definitely focused on that.
However, you can't force a team to play

Also, I think we all need to recognize that now that this Pandora's box has been opened, it will be opened again in the future. The next time a player suffers a spinal cord injury -- and there will be a next time -- this game is going to be invoked as a precedent for shutting it down. That's workable if the league has a parsimonious procedure in place for dealing with a canceled game. It can't be the league making it up as they go along every 3-4 years.
I think this incident was different than most injuries as the Hamlin was in cardiac arrest and his life was being saved on the field. I think suspending the game that night was the right call and necessary given that scenario. The look on players & coaches faces was unlike anything I had ever seen before in relation to an on field injury.

However, now that Hamlin is stable (even though still critical condition) this now shifts to be more like a paralysis situation which hasn't caused this kind of turmoil.

This is a very unfortunate situation but at this point it seems to fall in line with other serious injuries that players risk all the time and teammates play through all the time. It's why I think the game should have been played tonight once Hamlin was deemed to be in critical yet stable condition early Tuesday.
Everybody keeps saying that this situation is unprecedented, but not only is it not unprecedented, it's not even unprecedented for the Buffalo Bills. What's unprecedented is the decision to postpone the game. Somebody should have thought one step ahead before making that decision.
Safe to say the Bills played again the following week?
Great link, forgot about Everett, glad he recovered to at least live a normal life
Guy was paralyzed at the start of his rehab
Yes of course. Nobody thought twice about finishing that game and playing the following week. This thing where we expect adults to become non-functional in the face of tragedy is an extremely recent development. Brett Favre was universally lionized when he started a game after his dad died. Back in the olden days of 2020, Josh Allen was universally lionized for starting a game the day after his grandmother died. That's what we should expect from people. Not this type of thing.
Question IK if you don't mind

What happens if that's a 1:00 game on CBS this past Sunday?
-ESPN, Primetime, Suzy Kolber and Adam Schefter exchanging tissues back and forth, Joe Buck being Joe Buck in the booth
I'm not trying to make light of the injury, simply wondering what happens? Is the game stopped in the same manner? I want to believe so but I'm not totally sure and I don't know if I see the same Dominique Foxworth rant on Tuesday Morning like what i saw on Get Up yesterday.

They're not going to Jacksonville. Bills would have a home game.
Good Point...2, 3, same thing Wildcard weekend but certainly has greater impact in the Semi Round

Last edited:
Problem with having a week 19 with only Buf/Cin creates every team gets a bye week except Buf/Cin
Yes, but if I'm the Bills, I'd rather give everyone else a week of rest in exchange for a "free playoff win", homefield throughout, and a week of rest - or even the chance of it.

Also, I think we all need to recognize that now that this Pandora's box has been opened, it will be opened again in the future. The next time a player suffers a spinal cord injury -- and there will be a next time -- this game is going to be invoked as a precedent for shutting it down. That's workable if the league has a parsimonious procedure in place for dealing with a canceled game. It can't be the league making it up as they go along every 3-4 years.
I think this incident was different than most injuries as the Hamlin was in cardiac arrest and his life was being saved on the field. I think suspending the game that night was the right call and necessary given that scenario. The look on players & coaches faces was unlike anything I had ever seen before in relation to an on field injury.

However, now that Hamlin is stable (even though still critical condition) this now shifts to be more like a paralysis situation which hasn't caused this kind of turmoil.

This is a very unfortunate situation but at this point it seems to fall in line with other serious injuries that players risk all the time and teammates play through all the time. It's why I think the game should have been played tonight once Hamlin was deemed to be in critical yet stable condition early Tuesday.
Everybody keeps saying that this situation is unprecedented, but not only is it not unprecedented, it's not even unprecedented for the Buffalo Bills. What's unprecedented is the decision to postpone the game. Somebody should have thought one step ahead before making that decision.
IMO the NFL (on some level) really did give the "5 minute warmup" message, They wanted to finish the game but then the coaches and players decided to go to the locker rooms and not finish instead. What would the NFL do if they ordered the players to finish the game and they refused?

Goodell should make a decision tomorrow. It doesn't matter which bad choice he makes, just make one.

If things play out in such a way that BUF-NE is meaningless for Buffalo
How could that be? If KC wins, then the 2 and 3 seed could be a toss up between Cin and Buf. Cincy may have the tie-breaker, but even so, the Bills play at the same time, so they won't be able to pull starters unless Baltimore is routing Cinci, right?

Problem with having a week 19 with only Buf/Cin creates every team gets a bye week except Buf/Cin
Yes, but if I'm the Bills, I'd rather give everyone else a week of rest in exchange for a "free playoff win", homefield throughout, and a week of rest - or even the chance of it.
agree with this take, plus if we wanna go down this rabbit hole of logic then BUF and CIN just got an extra bye week late in the season. emotionally not, physically 5 minutes of usage.

I'll try and do this as delicately as possible

I'm Sean McDermott, let's pretend
"Hi Roger Goodell, so you want to go with overall winning % even though KC will have the advantage by simply playing 1 more game than us, same number of losses and we won H2H match up against them earlier in the season?"

Goodell: "Yep, that's what I'm saying"

"Ok Roger, well we just landed back here in Buffalo after a long night at the hospital and many of the players are still pretty distraught. I think it would be in their best interest from a mental health standpoint if we don't take part in the games this weekend and use that time to be mentally prepared for the opening round of the Playoffs, you can see the video and looks on their faces less than 48 hours ago, this is a fluid situation we have going on here, not sure you understand the bond these 52-53 are going thru right now."

Goodell: "Uh huh...I'll have to get back to you on that, let me speak with Dawn Aponte, she was at the game that night."
Click...
Goodell: "Sean, are you there...hello Coach McDermott?"

That's my POV on it
Even better…we will show up, make a mockery of the game by kneeling every play and sitting down on defense. Maybe kicking field goals through our own goal posts or running out of our own end zone a few times. Sounds like a fun Sunday stroll doesn’t it Roger?

IMO the NFL (on some level) really did give the "5 minute warmup" message, They wanted to finish the game but then the coaches and players decided to go to the locker rooms and not finish instead. What would the NFL do if they ordered the players to finish the game and they refused?

Goodell should make a decision tomorrow. It doesn't matter which bad choice he makes, just make one.
I'm pretty sure there is no TNF game this week so Goodell has a lot of time between now and kickoff Sat at 4:30
That's his leverage right now and I don't think he wants to rush or lock himself in to a decision yet.

I still think a Wed(today) game, a MNF or TNF game next week and then just push Playoff game back from Sat/Sun to a 1st ever Wildcard Monday Night Football likely In the Jungle of Cincinnati, ratings bonanza but they waited so long to act right away this week. Now that its passed, i doubt we hear much until they absolutely have to release a statement.

KC wins, Buffalo loses not much to discuss
KC loses, Buffalo wins not much to discuss
I think Goodell would like to see how the games play out this week and see if that 1 game is going to hold everything back or not.
Obviously there are several other scenarios involving Playoff teams and the top 1-2-3 seeds in the AFC and the ripple effect down to the WIldcards

But I agree with you that most folks would like a speedy answer.

If they don’t finish the Bills game, there really isn’t a lot of incentive for CIN to play BAL. if the Bills game is declared a tie or no contest, CIN wins the division. They also could no longer get the 1 seed. If I were Burrow, I’d want to sit out the Ravens game,too. Rest up for the playoffs.
Yeah. There are a lot of scenarios like this. If the NFL doesn't announce what will happen with the Buf/Cin game before this weekend's games there will be a lot of "Well, heck, if I knew that before this week 18 game I would have done things differently.

Link
Which means the decision on the game HAS TO be made prior to the Cincinnati vs Baltimore game. The league can’t wait till that outcome (or the outcome of other week 18 games) to decide what to do with the last week 17 game.

Link
Exactly and that is what i was trying to play out thru the metal health circuit. I feel the teams could put some pressure on the league that they are traumatized and need a little more time to fully heal and put a quality product on the field Wildcard Weekend...like it or not, 2 out of 3 teams from Cinci-Buff-KC have to play host Wildcard Weekend, they can't all be 1-Seeds.

The fact 2 of the 3 teams I just listed were involved in the MNF game we keep discussing is a major part of the issue of course.
That's why I was asking earlier, what happens if this was a 1:00 game this past Sunday on CBS when 8-9 other games were rolling?
I'm not sure the week unfolds the same way

I think you're almost certainly right. In my charitable interpretation of things, it goes like this:

Ref: We had a long stoppage of play, but the ambulance has left the stadium.
NFL: Thanks. Okay coaches, tell your players to get limbered up. We'll resume in 5 minutes just like we always have.
McDermott and Taylor: Hey, hold on a sec. This was way worse than a normal injury. Trust us -- our players aren't prepared to play, and they won't be any time tonight.
NFL: Are you absolutely sure?
McD/T: Yep. Our players are really messed up right now.
NFL: Okay, fine. Let's call it a night and we'll sort it out in the morning.

This is fine, and would be a good example of an organization working well. We weren't there and didn't see what happened on the field. I'll defer to the professionals, who I trust.

But that was Monday night. Everybody should be okay by now. I get that some players are still grieving, but we're firmly into "life goes on" territory now. Honestly, if this were any team but my own, I would have no problem saying that you play on Sunday or you forfeit, and that includes your game check. Blue collar workers show up for work the next day when somebody dies on the job. Pro athletes are extremely well compensated and can do the same.

They were going to take game checks from players that were ruled out for Covid and had no jab. They will absolutely not pay healthy players that refuse to play regardless of the PR.
Along these lines, did the players get paid for the “game” Monday night?
I'd imagine since they showed up and played a game, they get their check. It doesn't specify it has to be 60 mins. Just that they're on the active roster and show up to the site.

Along these lines, did the players get paid for the “game” Monday night?
I would assume so. The situation on Monday night was outside of their control.
Also, the coaches called it. Not the players. At least they better say that

I still have yet to hear a good explanation as to why anything else would be preferable to Option 1, beyond that it would be "unfair". As has been discussed many times, any option is going to be unfair to someone, so not sure that should be the criteria. So why not go with the cleanest solution?

I still have yet to hear a good explanation as to why anything else would be preferable to Option 1, beyond that it would be "unfair". As has been discussed many times, any option is going to be unfair to someone, so not sure that should be the criteria. So why not go with the cleanest solution?
Because the team with the most to lose (BUF) doesn’t get a chance to be the 1 seed, earn a bye, play one less playoff game, and have HFA. My opinion would change if BUF opts NOT to play the game and doesn’t care about that. But as of now, BUF would have the most to lose (in addition to being the team with the injured player and most emotional baggage).

That will push Buffalo out as the 1-Seed if KC wins Sat Night and they already beat KC earlier in the year to top it off.

KC 14-3
Buf 13-3

And if that is what the NFL is going to do, some of us are suggesting that Buffalo and perhaps other teams could not take the field this weekend.

As I write it out though, it's hard to imagine Buffalo or Cinci not taking the field Week 18
But we hear rumblings that perhaps the Bills should sit this one out and just get ready to host Wildcard Weekend

How many players can Buffalo declare OUT for Sunday and sign guys off the street to step in? Buffalo can make this painful for Goodell if they want
What's in it for Orchard Park, Super Bowl 75?
They're never hosting a Super Bowl in Buffalo
Goodell can't threaten them with much

I promise you the stupid Chiefs will lose on Saturday. So I would just take them out of any potential playoff seeding discussion.

Because the team with the most to lose (BUF) doesn’t get a chance to be the 1 seed, earn a bye, play one less playoff game, and have HFA. My opinion would change if BUF opts NOT to play the game and doesn’t care about that. But as of now, BUF would have the most to lose (in addition to being the team with the injured player and most emotional baggage).
I'm a Bills fan, and I rather just settle for the #3 seed than squeeze in another game either (a) on a short turnaround or (b) while all of our potential opponents get a bye and we don't. If you back up a little and think it through, I think you'll agree. Your team won lots of road playoff games. They're not unwinable or anything.

That will push Buffalo out as the 1-Seed if KC wins Sat Night and they already beat KC earlier in the year to top it off.

KC 14-3
Buf 13-3

And if that is what the NFL is going to do, some of us are suggesting that Buffalo and perhaps other teams could not take the field this weekend.

As I write it out though, it's hard to imagine Buffalo or Cinci not taking the field Week 18
But we hear rumblings that perhaps the Bills should sit this one out and just get ready to host Wildcard Weekend

How many players can Buffalo declare OUT for Sunday and sign guys off the street to step in? Buffalo can make this painful for Goodell if they want
What's in it for Orchard Park, Super Bowl 75?
They're never hosting a Super Bowl in Buffalo
Goodell can't threaten them with much
I don't see this happening. The Bills will probably bench most of their starters if week 18 is engineered in a way that doesn't matter to Buffalo, but the Pegulas do not seem to be the type of owners who burn the house down over a questionable decision by the league.

I'm a Bills fan, and I rather just settle for the #3 seed than squeeze in another game either (a) on a short turnaround or (b) while all of our potential opponents get a bye and we don't. If you back up a little and think it through, I think you'll agree. Your team won lots of road playoff games. They're not unwinable or anything.
There is a HUGE advantage to have to only win three games vs. four. How many times did NE win the SB without a bye? Zero.

There is a HUGE advantage to have to only win three games vs. four. How many times did NE win the SB without a bye? Zero.
Yeah, but how many times did the Patriots have to squeeze in a makeup game while everybody else got the week off? You know what I mean. The Bills came tantalizing close to the SB twice on the road in the last two years. We'll take it.

Yeah, it's unfair. It sucks for Buffalo. You know what else would be unfair? Forcing them to play an extra game while the rest of the league is on bye. Like I said, anything they do will be unfair in some fashion.

I still don't understand why fairness should be the most important criteria. I can imagine plenty of things -- especially of the "act of God" variety -- that would make a situation unfair. It was unfair that, after Katrina, the Saints had to play their entire season away from New Orleans, including a "home" game against the Giants in Giants Stadium. No one was talking about shifting around the entire season in order to make things fairer. I suspect the main reason we're focusing on that here is that the immediate consequences of this unfairness are more readily apparent, compared to the Saints situation when the decision was made at the beginning of the season and no one really knew how it would play out.

I'm not saying you ignore fairness completely -- for example, I think it would be far less fair to declare the Bengals the winner based on their 7-3 lead, although I might not feel that way if Hamlin had collapsed in the 4th quarter of a 48-3 game. I'm just saying it shouldn't necessarily be the No. 1 priority, especially when it's impossible to achieve anyway

Yeah, it's unfair. It sucks for Buffalo. You know what else would be unfair? Forcing them to play an extra game while the rest of the league is on bye. Like I said, anything they do will be unfair in some fashion.

I still don't understand why fairness should be the most important criteria. I can imagine plenty of things -- especially of the "act of God" variety -- that would make a situation unfair. It was unfair that, after Katrina, the Saints had to play their entire season away from New Orleans, including a "home" game against the Giants in Giants Stadium. No one was talking about shifting around the entire season in order to make things fairer. I suspect the main reason we're focusing on that here is that the immediate consequences of this unfairness are more readily apparent, compared to the Saints situation when the decision was made at the beginning of the season and no one really knew how it would play out.

I'm not saying you ignore fairness completely -- for example, I think it would be far less fair to declare the Bengals the winner based on their 7-3 lead, although I might not feel that way if Hamlin had collapsed in the 4th quarter of a 48-3 game. I'm just saying it shouldn't necessarily be the No. 1 priority, especially when it's impossible to achieve anyway
Stuff like this is the reason why I'm willing to say that I'd just as soon have the Bills handed a loss and be done with it. It's not "fair" but it's unfair in a way that everybody can accept as a precedent. To be clear, I would prefer a coin toss. This is an acceptable alternative though.

Yeah, but how many times did the Patriots have to squeeze in a makeup game while everybody else got the week off? You know what I mean. The Bills came tantalizing close to the SB twice on the road in the last two years. We'll take it.
I also suspect that how the Bills respond to the Hamlin situation -- positively or negatively -- will have far more impact on their fate this year than home games or byes

I think you're almost certainly right. In my charitable interpretation of things, it goes like this:

Ref: We had a long stoppage of play, but the ambulance has left the stadium.
NFL: Thanks. Okay coaches, tell your players to get limbered up. We'll resume in 5 minutes just like we always have.
McDermott and Taylor: Hey, hold on a sec. This was way worse than a normal injury. Trust us -- our players aren't prepared to play, and they won't be any time tonight.
NFL: Are you absolutely sure?
McD/T: Yep. Our players are really messed up right now.
NFL: Okay, fine. Let's call it a night and we'll sort it out in the morning.

This is fine, and would be a good example of an organization working well. We weren't there and didn't see what happened on the field. I'll defer to the professionals, who I trust.

But that was Monday night. Everybody should be okay by now. I get that some players are still grieving, but we're firmly into "life goes on" territory now. Honestly, if this were any team but my own, I would have no problem saying that you play on Sunday or you forfeit, and that includes your game check. Blue collar workers show up for work the next day when somebody dies on the job. Pro athletes are extremely well compensated and can do the same.
You're more charitable to the NFL than I am.

I agree with you, this Sunday it's time to suit up and play.

I’m pretty sure 32 franchises would pick having to win 2 home games to get to the SB over having to win 3 games including one on the road to get to the SB. Having the other teams getting an extra week of rest before the playoffs would be irrelevant as you wouldn’t be playing the first weekend anyway.

I’m pretty sure 32 franchises would pick having to win 2 home games to get to the SB over having to win 3 games including one on the road to get to the SB. Having the other teams getting an extra week of rest before the playoffs would be irrelevant as you wouldn’t be playing the first weekend anyway.
But you don't know you won't be playing that first weekend if you agree to this. You have to factor in "we're playing a full-on NFL game against a top-shelf team to determine whether you play three additional games or four." It's not unreasonable to say "just give me the three games."

But you don't know you won't be playing that first weekend if you agree to this. You have to factor in "we're playing a full-on NFL game against a top-shelf team to determine whether you play three additional games or four." It's not unreasonable to say "just give me the three games."
IMO, if that’s a team’s mind set, they aren’t winning the SB.

I think the NFL kicked the can down the road by saying that the game would not be completed this week. They are waiting to see how W18 shakes out and see how important the BUF/CIN game really is to the overall playoff seeding before deciding if they will finish the game. If it is critical to seeding I think they play the game. I voted for Option 2 based on this scenario.
This is my guess.

Users who are viewing this thread