What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How The Democratic Party Left The White Working Class Behind (1/15 23:48 PST) (3 Viewers)

It is not about being scared, it is about being marginalized.  The feeling right now is if you speak up you will be deleted.  Big tech has created this unilateral censorship where they have complete control over content and there is zero recourse.  And now these big tech monopolies are using their powers to openly squash competition and the Democrat party is cheering it on wanting more.  It is a Fascist dream to have that kind of control over speech.  
Just wait until Big Tech turns on the the voice of the left.  That will happen someday.

You are correct, its about being marginalized.  

5) and 6) Do you want the least qualified people to lead us? Because restricting people's earning capacity for their entire lives is how you assure that only morons ever run for office. I want smart, qualified, big-picture minded leaders. People of substance.  I want Obama and Clinton and Roberts and Scalia. And, despite disagreeing with them, I want Rumsfeld and Cheney and Nixon too. What I don't want is more Palins or Gaetzes, which is all you'd get if you told people that helping lead the country would require losing your (and your children's!?) right to earn a living for life. 

And the 5 page rule is more lowest common denominator populist nonsense. What problem is this suggestion even trying to fix? Are people really clamoring for simpler laws? Simple laws require more judicial interpretation, not less, and I guarantee you think judicial interpretation is a bad thing. 

Just wait until Big Tech turns on the the voice of the left.  That will happen someday.

You are correct, its about being marginalized.  
Exactly.  All of those in favor of what's going on are only doing so because it benefits them on a MASSIVE scale.  Were these companies controlled by Conservatives and silencing liberal voices you better believe they would be out in the streets rioting.

That's why I always chuckle when someone defends this behavior because it's ALWAYS those that are benefitting from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
3) If we end foreign aid we instantly lose influence around the world. And, from my understanding, foreign aid accounts for a little more than 1% of our annual spending. While I don't believe "it's only 1%" is a valid reason not to consider trimming an expense, I'd imagine most foreign policy experts would say 1% is cheap for the influence and security it buys. Certainly it's far cheaper, in dollars and blood, than direct military intervention. Overall, I think the suggestion to end all foreign aid is naive, a simple, populistic solution to some very complex problems. 

I can see your perspective and I respect it. So IIRC, in 2019, foreign aid totaled about 40 billion dollars.

So right now, I'll have to turn into Suit And Tie Gekko more than 2 Glocks And A Cigar Gekko. Part of the problem with our government is refusing to accept The Paratrooper Problem. Paratroopers have to carry everything in that they need. ( Let's try to see this as an objective point)  Those guys in the 101st during D Day couldn't rely on anything they didn't have strapped to them upon their drop. What's the saying? Grams turn into Ounces and Ounces turn into Pounds. Meaning it all adds up.

It's a functional mistake, IMHO, to say anything is "just X percent"  We all root from football fandom, and would we want our home teams to say, we'll it's just a 7th round pick or it's just 2 million in wasted cap space. Anyone who thinks like that doesn't stay in those jobs very long. Do they miss on picks and miss on FA signings? Sure, but no one takes the approach that anything should go to waste/excess. Ultimately the problem with the deficit is a resource management game. Same as the NFL. I've said this for years in the Shark Pool, teams who fail the resource management side of the franchise will have lost the season before the first snap in the first game is ever taken.

40 billion dollars is a lot of help for schools, youth sports, libraries, job creation, critical infrastructure, etc, etc. It won't help every problem, but it's a start.

Also I believe it matters less as a monetary shot in the arm as much as a new mindset for the American people. We clean our house first, then we can worry about everyone else.

As for national security, that's also important. It's just that we can't keep spending our grandchildren's money at this rate. We can't just keep printing money at this rate. Cuts have to come from somewhere. Is this drastic? Yes. But the larger question is America in a financial situation where some form of drastic is a clear unavoidable reality?

I respect your points, I suppose we see different fish that need to be fried first.

7) I could get on board with requiring American companies to hire American workers, and I won't bicker with the details (50% of workers, 80% tax,etc.).  I do think Americans will be shocked at how little they can afford when every product they buy is Made in the USA. Our standard of living will drop drastically if we have to pay living wage Americans to make everything. 

I also think this proposal pointlessly keeps Americans in menial manufacturing jobs when it might be more forward tHinking to steer the population (perhaps through your mandatory service progtam) to higher paying, better value creating tech jobs. It doesn't make a ton of sense to pay Americans $10 an hour to lace Nikes, keeping that worker in poverty and making Nikes more expensive, when you could train that American for a $30 job, pay a foreigner $0.50 an hour and keep us all in Nikes. 

I also have to say that your proposals for a non-free enterprise America, a land where we don't throw around our international weight, where people have to work for free for a few years, where many individuals and businesses are heavily regulated and taxed, is surprising coming from a pistol wielding alpha load dropper like yourself. 

White working class voters left the Dems in the 60s and 70s, not the other way round in the 80s and 90s.  Then, as now, under Trump, they decided they care more about maintaining an advantageous social hierarchy than cooperating with the people who BUILT the middle class, but who also insisted that it include everyone

4) I'm far too over qualified and opinionated on criminal justice to engage with your suggestions. I'll simply point out that stripping Americans of citizenship for criminal offenses is unconstitutional, and not something that states would ever agree with. Further, a system that ignores the possibility of rehabilitation and redemption is un-American and flies in the face of our value. This is particularly true for the white working class demographic you are defending here. Lastly, your draconian suggestions are inconsistent with what we know about criminal deterrence, human nature, and brain science. Your suggestions would make our society immeasurably worse. 
Would people vote for it?

The Constitution can be amended. It's not an easy process by any stretch.

Rough numbers, Americans pay about 80 billion a year to house about 2.3-2.4 million prisoners overall. In CA, it costs about 12 billion annually and each prisoner costs about 75K a year. This doesn't even begin to factor the cost to society at large ( the impact of crime on the average American, the long term negative impact to communities, the cost burden passed onto the average consumer by theft, fraud, shrinkage, etc, etc)

I did make the distinction of "major crimes"  I would like to think a college aged shoplifter might have a chance to turn it around.  However someone who has committed murder or a rapist or the like, why bother? (Well, to my opinion, why bother, everyone else could see it differently)

Something I learned from a mentor early in life was this - If people don't like what they are getting from you, if they want to be ungrateful, then give them nothing, then they can see how the #### they like that instead.

There are people all over the world who would prize American citizenship. It's not perfect here, but I've traveled the entire world and I assure you, despite the flaws of the US, it's a lot safer and more opportunity here than most of the rest of the world. If some people don't value the life of an American citizen, then give them nothing, and see then how the #### they like that instead.

If I could get the overall national cost of prisons to be about 10 billion a year, saving 70 billion for better schools, job creation, youth sports, music programs. museums, parks, more teachers, etc, etc and I've shipped out rapists, murderers, child abusers, arsonists,drug dealers, etc, etc into some far off hellhole in the middle of nowhere, I don't see too many citizens complaining.

Lots of parents here on the forums right? Want to live at home while you go to college? You gotta live by the parents rules. You want to do your own thing? Pay your own rent. get your own place. Pay your own insurance. See how hard and brutal the world is out there. Play by the rules, follow the program, or GTFO. If parents can do this to their older kids for their own good, then America can do this to murderers and rapists.

What I suggest is not constitutional right now. If enough people support it, it could happen. You could argue enough people would never support it and you have a good point. And I could argue once masses of people face near homelessness, a collapsing economy, many businesses that will never recover and facing the pandemic, spending 75K on some serial rapist for the rest of his scumbag life doesn't sound like such great public policy.

As for lining up convicted child molesters to face expedited capital punishment and facing firing squads, I don't think you'll find as much resistance as you might believe in the general public. Then again, I also suggested building a rail gun and firing convicted child molesters into the sun, which is simply far more cinematic in nature and I think would be a much easier sell.

You are saying this suggestion is illegal and immoral. My thought process is present it to the American people at large and see what they say and if they would vote for it. Because if they would and do, you might keep saying it's immoral, but it would then no longer be illegal.

Hard choices need to be made for America to survive financially for the long haul. Sorry, 75K a year on murderers isn't money well spent in my book. You, of course, may feel differently and I respect your right to do so.

White working class voters left the Dems in the 60s and 70s, not the other way round in the 80s and 90s.  Then, as now, under Trump, they decided they care more about maintaining an advantageous social hierarchy than cooperating with the people who BUILT the middle class, but who also insisted that it include everyone
So "You're racist" once again?  This is getting old and worn out.

The middle class includes all kinds of people nowadays.  We're not in 1950 anymore.  This is 2020 - MANY minorities are in the middle class.  Just because there are a bunch that don't want to take advantage of the opportunities provided to them doesn't mean the system is racist.

5) and 6) Do you want the least qualified people to lead us? Because restricting people's earning capacity for their entire lives is how you assure that only morons ever run for office. I want smart, qualified, big-picture minded leaders. People of substance.  I want Obama and Clinton and Roberts and Scalia. And, despite disagreeing with them, I want Rumsfeld and Cheney and Nixon too. What I don't want is more Palins or Gaetzes, which is all you'd get if you told people that helping lead the country would require losing your (and your children's!?) right to earn a living for life. 

And the 5 page rule is more lowest common denominator populist nonsense. What problem is this suggestion even trying to fix? Are people really clamoring for simpler laws? Simple laws require more judicial interpretation, not less, and I guarantee you think judicial interpretation is a bad thing. 

My take on American politicians are they all are

1) Somewhere on the spectrum of narcissists/sociopaths/psychopaths/BPD/on the functional autistic range

and

2) Straight up grifters

I don't think anyone can do much about No#1, I think you have to be part sadist to want a job like this, where you are loved and hated at the same time and have no privacy. But I think one can create a functional pathway to limit/prevent No#2.

I like to think this kind of policy might encourage those who have established a first successful career elsewhere outside of politics to look at a 2nd career in politics as they've become older and hopefully wiser.

Put it this way, my solution doesn't have to be the be all / end all solution, but personal political graft is a problem. The pay for influence is not just influence, it's to shape public policy. What pays for that public policy? Usually our tax dollars. So it's not just public policy as much as it's a way for grifter politicians to covert our tax dollars into their own greedy pockets.

My suggestion is not perfect, but how is the traditional feeder system for politics working out for all Americans?  Maybe having some more outsiders to the political establishment is not such a horrible thing.

How about a compromise? More than 5 pages, but something less than asking Congress to take a 5000 page document and read it in half a day and vote on it knowing refusing to vote on it will kill any chance they have at reelection in their own districts and this was all done on purpose by Pelosi and three other people who wrote the Bill without any input from even the rank and file in her own party. Something that carves out trillions of dollars of our grandchildren's money and will shape public policy for decades to come, all to be decided in a few hours of time. How about we settle on a middle ground to that?

4) I'm far too over qualified and opinionated on criminal justice to engage with your suggestions. I'll simply point out that stripping Americans of citizenship for criminal offenses is unconstitutional, and not something that states would ever agree with. Further, a system that ignores the possibility of rehabilitation and redemption is un-American and flies in the face of our value. This is particularly true for the white working class demographic you are defending here. Lastly, your draconian suggestions are inconsistent with what we know about criminal deterrence, human nature, and brain science. Your suggestions would make our society immeasurably worse. 
Also 100% not aligned with the teachings of Christ. If Christians feel persecuted because their cultural hegemony is being eroding then going Saudi or North Korean seems unwise. 

I completely agree that our prisons are overpopulated and too costly. But, rather than the solution being mass deportations and executions, my solution would be to put fewer people in prison, for lesser periods of time. 

You are correct about prison costs. Prison is much more expensive, and a poorer investment, than education. Most crime is rooted in poverty, poor education, and lack of opportunity. Spend more money on education to have less crime in the first place. Spend more money on education and vocational training for criminals, make probation supervision rehabilitative rather than a shortcut back to prison, and you'll save on prison costs while creating happy law abiding tax paying ex-cons. 

7) I could get on board with requiring American companies to hire American workers, and I won't bicker with the details (50% of workers, 80% tax,etc.).  I do think Americans will be shocked at how little they can afford when every product they buy is Made in the USA. Our standard of living will drop drastically if we have to pay living wage Americans to make everything. 

I also think this proposal pointlessly keeps Americans in menial manufacturing jobs when it might be more forward tHinking to steer the population (perhaps through your mandatory service progtam) to higher paying, better value creating tech jobs. It doesn't make a ton of sense to pay Americans $10 an hour to lace Nikes, keeping that worker in poverty and making Nikes more expensive, when you could train that American for a $30 job, pay a foreigner $0.50 an hour and keep us all in Nikes. 

I also have to say that your proposals for a non-free enterprise America, a land where we don't throw around our international weight, where people have to work for free for a few years, where many individuals and businesses are heavily regulated and taxed, is surprising coming from a pistol wielding alpha load dropper like yourself. 

Jordan Peterson: What Kind of Job Fits You?

2,979,903 views •May 11, 2017

Jordan Peterson talks in this video about jobs and IQ levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu__97bVyOc

I think some of the population could be steered to tech jobs, I don't think there are enough tech jobs to practically go around for everyone in the US and frankly many to most people in the US may simply be ill suited towards that work. Jordan Peterson's video covers some of this. I find it sad the left and the MSM want to "cancel" Peterson but he simply refuses to fit into their woke myopic narrative.

Also, maybe a drop in the standard of living for many Americans won't be such a horrible thing. There is a value in simplicity and minimalism. Now whether most of America is willing to embrace that or not is a huge question, but something has to change. Our economy can't keep going in this direction, even without the pandemic.

I'd also like to believe a spirit of positive nationalism and dignity through work can encourage people to help some, not all, to build these companies forward into being competitive in the international marketplace.

As for "menial" work. Not everyone is meant to be a CEO. Or even a tech god. Or a doctor. Or racking up a six figure salary.

In terms of compulsory service, people would be paid. Certainly not Google Tech Lead money, but still be paid. The idea of a "Public Service Corps" would also be something for adults as well.

There is dignity in dollars and dignity in honest work, some might find parts of that menial, but things are what we make of them. Small steps first. I believe helping to restore dignity in many American subcultures is start.

I offer no perfect answers, I offer suggestions to help further the discussion. What is clear is the current system is broken, we have to change, maybe drastically in some cases, or we can all die instead.

I completely agree that our prisons are overpopulated and too costly. But, rather than the solution being mass deportations and executions, my solution would be to put fewer people in prison, for lesser periods of time. 

You are correct about prison costs. Prison is much more expensive, and a poorer investment, than education. Most crime is rooted in poverty, poor education, and lack of opportunity. Spend more money on education to have less crime in the first place. Spend more money on education and vocational training for criminals, make probation supervision rehabilitative rather than a shortcut back to prison, and you'll save on prison costs while creating happy law abiding tax paying ex-cons. 
As if we don't already spend enough on education.  good grief.  Every year they get more and more and our students are getting dumber and dumber.

For example, here in WI the Milwaukee Public School District alone has a 1.2 billion dollar budget and yet MPS gets worse and worse every year.  More students DON'T graduate as the budget increases every year.

Also 100% not aligned with the teachings of Christ. If Christians feel persecuted because their cultural hegemony is being eroding then going Saudi or North Korean seems unwise. 
Lol.  I totally agree. My original response had the words Judeo-christian, protestantism, and North Korea. 

VIDEO: Denzel Washington " Don't blame the system it starts at home "

1,917 views •Jun 10, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NvspsMwu7I

I've answered many of your concerns/questions. You've brought up specific points and I wanted to respond in kind and address them in a direct way.

Now my turn - What would you suggest would be good specific bi-partisan ways/public policy/changes to address the concerns and needs of this disenfranchised group? ( I.E. poor white Christians in rural areas )

I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleansing_of_the_Temple

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+2%3A13–16&version=NIV

Jesus, before Passover, made a whip, and drove money changers ( loan sharks apparently) and various grifters from the temple because they were using "his Father's house" as a cheap undignified corrupt black market environment that poisoned the common people around them.

So, Biblically speaking, Jesus cleaned house and expelled undesirables when they made the community around them suffer.

Do you want to roll some more teachings of Christ at me tonight?

As if we don't already spend enough on education.  good grief.  Every year they get more and more and our students are getting dumber and dumber.

For example, here in WI the Milwaukee Public School District alone has a 1.2 billion dollar budget and yet MPS gets worse and worse every year.  More students DON'T graduate as the budget increases every year.
Well here our budgets keep getting cut.

You have to pay for extra curricular activities out of your own pocket now

I fully agree with Denzel that it starts at home, and more specifically, that the absence of a father/breakdown of the traditional American family unit plays a huge part in our societal problems, particularly in the criminal justice context. 

The overwhelming majority of people in the criminal justice system grew up impoverished, without a father figure, often without a mother, often in homes wracked by crime, substance abuse, and mental health problems. Without a doubt, it started at home. But now what? Do we as a society want to pay $75,000 per year to lock them up? Do we execute them for ending up exactly where we would have predicted? Or do we want to do the cheaper, more humane thing and provide education, opportunity, and encouragement? And, do we want to encourage and reward those young men to be fathers to their own children? More incarceration/deportations/executions make the cycle worse, not better. 

As far as my own suggestions, my only "expertise" is in criminal justice, and I've given the broad strokes of my suggestions there. These recommendations would benefit impoverished meth- and opiate-riddled white communities just as well as urban cocaine- and heroin-riddled black communities. 

I'm not an economist, and have no experience with rural white Christian communities. But, I can relate their plight to the young unemployed masses in the middle east. These young men have no promise of employment or prosperity. They are angry, desperate, and vulnerable to opportunists selling hate. In the middle east they are told to blame the US, jews, and other Muslim sects. Here at home they are told to blame the media, minorities, and immigrants. In reality, it's not any of those groups. It's the economy and wealth inequality. We need a new social compact that guarantees health, education, and opportunity. We need a living wage for all, and by that I mean a wage that allows a single parent working a single 40 hour job to raise children.  We need a drastically different tax structure with far steeper margins for the super rich, say 40% for income over a 500,000, 50% on over a million, and 75% on income over 5 million.  And yes,we need to provide jobs. 

Trump mobilized the Dems to show up.....the dude couldn't get out his own way for four years.  I guess it's prolly his narcissism, and lack of self awareness.......I think the lesson is too much D baggery and zero humility loses elections.
There are a lot of Biden voters who would love to see a strong conservative R to vote for instead.

the rover said:
Why is this spamming allowed to continue?  
What I'm going to do now is walk across the aisle and invite you into the larger conversation here. Right now, in this thread, I'm going to treat you in a manner that I'd want those on the left to treat my conservative brothers here on site in general.

What would you suggest would be good specific bi-partisan ways/public policy/changes to address the concerns and needs of this disenfranchised group? ( I.E. poor white Christians in rural areas )

What I'm going to do now is walk across the aisle and invite you into the larger conversation here. Right now, in this thread, I'm going to treat you in a manner that I'd want those on the left to treat my conservative brothers here on site in general.

What would you suggest would be good specific bi-partisan ways/public policy/changes to address the concerns and needs of this disenfranchised group? ( I.E. poor white Christians in rural areas )

Since your entire premise is based on misrepresentations based on the first link you provided, I’ll pass.   I’m not interested in your disingenuous takes, and I don’t think anyone else would get away with the spamming you do on these forums.  People get banned for slightly off-color jokes, but this flies for some reason.   The last thing I’m going to do is encourage you to post more.

I’d hesitate to say Democrats “left behind” white working class voters. Education polarization is happening all over the world and the US is no exception. In every OECD country, college educated folks are realigning with center left parties as working class voters move to center right parties. Democrats should obviously try to persuade WWC voters back to their side as they are an incredibly important voting bloc, but that’s easier said than done. In the UK for example, Jeremy Corbyn aggressively focused on economic and class issues in an attempt to renew Labour’s strength with working class voters, and he ended up presiding over the largest increase in education polarization in UK history. He flipped some of the richest parliamentary districts while the Tories flipped some of the poorest ones. There are some very deep, profound shifts that Democrats are fighting against here.

And you wonder why people don't engage you in conversation.....
Hmmm...I had just assumed Tim was talking about his own response.  His answer to poor whites feeling disinfranchise by the Democrats is to tell them he is tired of listening to them, essentially telling them to shut up.  That does qualify as one of the worst posts ever.  

I’m okay with the 5 page rule so long as there is no rule on how tiny the font can be. 

There are a lot of Biden voters who would love to see a strong conservative R to vote for instead.
There is a great NYTDaily podcast on Friday with freshman R House Representative from Michigan named Peter Meijer. He sounded totally reasonable. An Iraq war veteran who was in the Capitol on 1/6. He voted to certify the election. And he also voted to impeach. Definitely the type of Republican I can get behind. 

• Love
Reactions: JAA
How about a compromise? More than 5 pages, but something less than asking Congress to take a 5000 page document and read it in half a day and vote on it knowing refusing to vote on it will kill any chance they have at reelection in their own districts and this was all done on purpose by Pelosi and three other people who wrote the Bill without any input from even the rank and file in her own party. Something that carves out trillions of dollars of our grandchildren's money and will shape public policy for decades to come, all to be decided in a few hours of time. How about we settle on a middle ground to that?
Yes, this should be addressed, imo.  I think requiring that bills actually be read by those voting on them makes sense, though I’m not exactly sure how to enforce that. It may have been MT that suggested a rule requiring the reading of all bills out loud on the floor.  But I can read a document much more quickly than reading it out loud. 

Folks that agree with the silly premise of this thread are not going to be pleased by the news that Biden is about to propose a new path to citizenship bill for this nation’s 11 million undocumented immigrants: 

https://www.theblaze.com/news/biden-immigration-reform-plan-pathway-to-citizenship

So awesome. Hope to heck he can get this done. 
You think the premise of this thread is silly?  I can assure you that the premise that white working class whites folks in rural areas do indeed feel that they are being left behind and that the Democratic Party is not looking out for their interests is anything but silly. And the Democratic Party that I support would be one that focuses on reaching out to these populations, to work to improve their lives as well. 

Seriously?

the topic is a good talking point, but the sheer volume of posting makes it impossible to digest. Have a thought for the reader. Save some stuff for talking points after some readers are engaged. 

You are not a dummy. Intelligence comes through, but either post a blog or let others be involved in discussion. 
I was going to write the same thing. It’s too bad he’s a nonsense poster because this is a good topic. 

You think the premise of this thread is silly?  I can assure you that the premise that white working class whites folks in rural areas do indeed feel that they are being left behind and that the Democratic Party is not looking out for their interests is anything but silly. And the Democratic Party that I support would be one that focuses on reaching out to these populations, to work to improve their lives as well. 
IMO we need to start with these ideas that I bolded.   No, it's not silly that group of people feel like they are being left behind.   I guess my question is that what they feel or is that reality?   I also get from the tone of a lot of replies in this thread that people want to push back against liberals because they are making everything about color, but then they are asking what we can do about the "white" working class.  You know - making it about color.  

What I think the big problem is that we have been too effectively put against each other.  There is 0 excuse for people in a country as great as ours to be struggling for food, needing housing, lacking access to education, etc, etc.  It matters not the race of the people, I think it's about the 1% making rules for themselves and basically running both sides of the political spectrum.   What has happened is we have gotten away from looking at people at the bottom as a whole and how do we lift them up and gone to fracturing that group of people up and the two sides fighting for their votes so they can get elected, but not really doing a ton for that group as a whole from either side (though I would argue that one side of the spectrum seems to try a little harder).  

Yes, the Democratic Party should work to improve the lives of everyone, including the rural poor and working class.  

One thing ib didn't see addressed (but maybe it was covered by people i have on ignore) is the role that organized labor plays in improving the pay and working conditions for the working class. Yes, some unions have been corrupt and most don't want to work for the greater good, but rather the good of their members only.  But organized labor is an effective tool to reduce the pay gap between the lower paid workers and upper management. 

The wealth gap in this country is growing and globalization is partly driving that, but it's not the only reason and it's not intractable.  Democrats should fight to reduce this gap, but that means the working poor shouldn't be afraid of democratic socialism.  

Hmmm...I had just assumed Tim was talking about his own response.  His answer to poor whites feeling disinfranchise by the Democrats is to tell them he is tired of listening to them, essentially telling them to shut up.  That does qualify as one of the worst posts ever.  
Lol. Missed you jon! Glad you’re back. 

The way you’re framing it is not silly, though it’s an old topic and has been discussed as length. The way that the OP framed it, on the other hand...

IMO we need to start with these ideas that I bolded.   No, it's not silly that group of people feel like they are being left behind.   I guess my question is that what they feel or is that reality?   I also get from the tone of a lot of replies in this thread that people want to push back against liberals because they are making everything about color, but then they are asking what we can do about the "white" working class.  You know - making it about color.  

What I think the big problem is that we have been too effectively put against each other.  There is 0 excuse for people in a country as great as ours to be struggling for food, needing housing, lacking access to education, etc, etc.  It matters not the race of the people, I think it's about the 1% making rules for themselves and basically running both sides of the political spectrum.   What has happened is we have gotten away from looking at people at the bottom as a whole and how do we lift them up and gone to fracturing that group of people up and the two sides fighting for their votes so they can get elected, but not really doing a ton for that group as a whole from either side (though I would argue that one side of the spectrum seems to try a little harder).  
Sure. Let’s go with working class folks in rural areas. That’s a majority but not exclusively white population, but your point is well taken. The reason that the race issue is relevant is the perceived focus of the Democrat Party on marginalized minority populations, which creates a feeling of exclusion for marginalized white populations. I’d like to see the Democratic Party make more efforts to reach out to rural Americans to address their concerns, not because they can win votes there, but because it’s the right thing to do. 

I read a couple of the articles in OP and gotta be honest, sure felt like a closeted support of UBI and M4A.  That seemed to be the overall complaint, so to speak, “where’s mine?!”.  Which I’m not dismissing or disagreeing with, but the whole we’re falling behind too and someone needs to look out for us sounds like a supportive stance for such programs. 

I read a couple of the articles in OP and gotta be honest, sure felt like a closeted support of UBI and M4A.  That seemed to be the overall complaint, so to speak, “where’s mine?!”.  Which I’m not dismissing or disagreeing with, but the whole we’re falling behind too and someone needs to look out for us sounds like a supportive stance for such programs. 
He makes his views clear in the post I regard as the worst ever in this forum, when he calls for an end to all foreign aid, mass deportation, a promotion of fascism for young people, and the legalization of prostitution so that those of us who lack the OP’s manliness will be distracted by sex and be disinclined to riot. 

He makes his views clear in the post I regard as the worst ever in this forum, when he calls for an end to all foreign aid, mass deportation, a promotion of fascism for young people, and the legalization of prostitution so that those of us who lack the OP’s manliness will be distracted by sex and be disinclined to riot. 
I’m talking the articles in the OP, not the poster and his views 

23 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Expand  
Sure. Let’s go with working class folks in rural areas. That’s a majority but not exclusively white population, but your point is well taken. The reason that the race issue is relevant is the perceived focus of the Democrat Party on marginalized minority populations, which creates a feeling of exclusion for marginalized white populations. I’d like to see the Democratic Party make more efforts to reach out to rural Americans to address their concerns, not because they can win votes there, but because it’s the right thing to do. 
One issue that I don't know how to fix is the concerns of the "poor rural white who really isn't poor by objective standards and is mad for other reasons"

It's not like all those hardcore Trump supporters who feel marginalized are unemployed and living in rented trailers. How many nice pickups have you seen with Trump flags waving in the back? There's a slew of seemingly normal / employed / middle-class people angry because they are convinced that "this isn't the America I grew up in". They don't like LBGTQ issues "shoved down their throat" (to hear them put it). They are more afraid of the "what WILL Dems do?" bogeyman than anything (coming for our guns / full-scale socialism / etc). They are angry over symbols, like kneeling for the flag, and Aunt Jemima being taken off the syrup bottle. And to talk to them is to wildly bounce between these topics and actual issues that matter.

A lot of these folks do not have the will to think deeper on these issues. My hardcore right neighbor is fully on the "why is Aunt Jemima racist and Little Debbie isn't?" train, and it cannot be explained to him at any level. And things like that are a big reason he leans so hard to the right and is so accepting to the rest of the message. 

It's frustrating. Like I said, there's no talking about it, as these folks are all over the place with their anger - I try to explain to my neighbor why AJ is now seen as a not-so-good stereotype, and within thirty seconds, the conversation on his end is about typical right-media talking points, like BLM riots, one minute later Hunter Biden and China make an appearance, and in four minutes (if I make it that far), Hillary's e-mails will still get a mention.   

How do we fix that? How do make some of these people realize "America is changing, and that's ok"

Leaders on both sides need to worry about the day when the poor on both sides figure this out.  We came close with Bernie.  We need someone younger to take the issue and run with it.

One issue that I don't know how to fix is the concerns of the "poor rural white who really isn't poor by objective standards and is mad for other reasons"

It's not like all those hardcore Trump supporters who feel marginalized are unemployed and living in rented trailers. How many nice pickups have you seen with Trump flags waving in the back? There's a slew of seemingly normal / employed / middle-class people angry because they are convinced that "this isn't the America I grew up in". They don't like LBGTQ issues "shoved down their throat" (to hear them put it). They are more afraid of the "what WILL Dems do?" bogeyman than anything (coming for our guns / full-scale socialism / etc). They are angry over symbols, like kneeling for the flag, and Aunt Jemima being taken off the syrup bottle. And to talk to them is to wildly bounce between these topics and actual issues that matter.

A lot of these folks do not have the will to think deeper on these issues. My hardcore right neighbor is fully on the "why is Aunt Jemima racist and Little Debbie isn't?" train, and it cannot be explained to him at any level. And things like that are a big reason he leans so hard to the right and is so accepting to the rest of the message. 

It's frustrating. Like I said, there's no talking about it, as these folks are all over the place with their anger - I try to explain to my neighbor why AJ is now seen as a not-so-good stereotype, and within thirty seconds, the conversation on his end is about typical right-media talking points, like BLM riots, one minute later Hunter Biden and China make an appearance, and in four minutes (if I make it that far), Hillary's e-mails will still get a mention.   

How do we fix that? How do make some of these people realize "America is changing, and that's ok"
I was thinking about BB's post more and was going to reply in a very similar way to your post above.   

I realize that I am not providing solutions and probably more just talking out loud and asking more questions, but what was going through my head is that I think we need to unpack more why they feel they are being left behind.  I don't think we are talking about economically 100%, and that is what you are bringing up.  

I fully agree with what BB posted above in that the Democratic Party needs to talk to the rural Americans more and listen to why they feel like they are being ignored.   Now are we talking about ignored in that they are lacking education, their manufacturing jobs are drying up and going overseas, the opiate problem is spiking - that's one thing, and that part I am in full agreement on.  Are we talking about they feel left behind on views you bring up above about LBGTQ issues, guns, abortion,etc..  Not sure there is anything that could be done on that front honestly.    These are two separate things, but my gut feeling is when you include the Christian part of the White Christian part of the OP, a couple those things are directly tied to that.  My take is that when they say they feel like they are being left behind it's more about their core values and ideas about these topics and not the economic part.  

Also, I think we need to do a better job of discussing and picking apart policies.   Is a particular policy focusing more on minorities by design, or is it a policy that that is targeting poor and uneducated, and that happens to include a larger % of minorities in that group?   

Users who are viewing this thread