What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How should I deal with my Commish? (1 Viewer)

greedygoat

Footballguy
Our waiver wire order was selected radomly at the beginning of the year. It works like most waiver wires, once you're able to claim a player off of waivers you go to the back of the line for any future waiver wire claims. This is for players claimed off of waivers, not regular drop/adds.

We switched to cbssportsline this year to host our league. When you go to add a player, the pool of players to choose from are all the players in the minors & majors. We're not supposed to add minor leaugers, but it's not stated in our rules because our old website did not give us the ability to do so. Everyone knows we're not supposed to add these players because the commish posted a message on our homepage's ticker "Please do not pick up players in the minors".

Needless to say 2 owners added minor leaguers when they should not have. The commish ordered them to return those players to the pool. Last week I accidentally added a player who was in the minors and instead of asking me to return the player to the pool the commish sends out this message "This has been discussed ad nauseum and i am quite sick of going over this situation. YOU CAN NOT PICK UP MINOR LEAGUERS - PERIOD. As of and including this move, if you pick up a minor leaguer, you will lose your waiver priority spot and go to the back of the pack for waivers, you will also lose that particular move".

No vote, no warning, just laying down the law. He could have very easily said from this point forward this is what will happen and I would have been fine with it. My issue is with him saying "as of and including this move" this is how it's going to be. I feel as though I am being punished, without warning, for doing something 2 owners had previously done this year without any punishment. What do you guys think? What should I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't this what commishes are for?
My problem with this case is that the commish very easily could have said "from this point forward this is what will happen if you do this..." Instead he is saying "As of AND INCLUDING this move".

My problem with this case is that the commish very easily could have said "from this point forward this is what will happen if you do this..." Instead he is saying "As of AND INCLUDING this move".
Seeing as you're the third guy to break the rules, Im going to guess your leaguemates are going to agree with him. You can try to explain it to the league that it was a legitimate mistake, but unless they're on your side you're SOL.

:wall:

I just wandered over here to see how the BB forum was going and I run into this thread.

"From now on" rules and penalties often come up, especially in young leagues. The need for a league vote to ratify a new rule/penalty can vary from league to league.

...But a retro-active rule or penalty always warrants a :goodposting:

Addai's post says it all.And what the hell do you mean, you "accidently" picked up a minor leaguer? :shock:

Addai's post says it all.And what the hell do you mean, you "accidently" picked up a minor leaguer? :hot:
Since when did a commisioner's job entail pulling penalites out of his a@@?Regardless of wether or not g.g. acidently picked up a minor leaguer or not, there was no penalty for doing so on the books...and two previous offenders were not penalized."From this point forward..." :goodposting:

And this is exactly why we do not allow owners to add/drop or trade on their own.

I see your point, but follow the rules set forth by the league and you won't be the one to be made an example of next time. You might not like it but I would take the medicine on this one. \

Dumb system. Player pool should be the whole universe. Too hard to manage without F' up's. He's asking for his own troubles. In any event, owners need to be responsible for knowing what they are doing. Sounds like you caught your commish on the wrong day to piss him off. Tough break. If you push it I'd imagine you'll get the, "Well if you don't like it there's the door" speach.

Sounds like you caught your commish on the wrong day to piss him off. Tough break. If you push it I'd imagine you'll get the, "Well if you don't like it there's the door" speach.
This is what I'm expecting to see in my inbox tomorrow.

Sounds like you caught your commish on the wrong day to piss him off. Tough break. If you push it I'd imagine you'll get the, "Well if you don't like it there's the door" speach.
This is what I'm expecting to see in my inbox tomorrow.
You never explained how you "accidently" picked up a minor leaguer.
Can't think of a way he could do that unless he was just picking up some random guy. All the sites I know require a fair amount confirmation before making an add. If he was just picking up some random guy than he was wasting his waiver priority anyway.

Dumb system. Player pool should be the whole universe. Too hard to manage without F' up's. He's asking for his own troubles. In any event, owners need to be responsible for knowing what they are doing. Sounds like you caught your commish on the wrong day to piss him off. Tough break. If you push it I'd imagine you'll get the, "Well if you don't like it there's the door" speach.
:yes:

Breed said:
To sum up......dumb rule...dumb league...dumb commish...dumb transaction
I have zero problem with the rule. Its not at all hard to determine who is on a MLB roster these days. takes 2 minutes on dialup.

Breed said:
I have zero problem with the rule. Its not at all hard to determine who is on a MLB roster these days. takes 2 minutes on dialup.
It seems that the rule isn't in question, it's the penalty being arbitrarily doled out because the commish is tired of calling owners on it that sucks. :thumbdown:

Breed said:
It seems that the rule isn't in question, it's the penalty being arbitrarily doled out because the commish is tired of calling owners on it that sucks. :goodposting:
I was commenting on the one part I don't find dumb.Like I said earlier, the league as a whole can easily override the commish, yet it doesn't seem like any of them care to do that. I personally don't have that much sympathy here, the OP is obviously in the wrong as well as the commish.

actually, the goat is in my league and i am the commish of said league.

the plyer in question is roger clemens.......

its not that i want to be the bad guy, but cbs has its limitations. our al only league is a keeper leaguer, with minor leaguers off limits at all times, except when they are in major league camps in spring training and even that can get dicey. this rule/problem didnt exist at tq stats cause minor leaguers were not in the player pool. unfortunately, ever player, dead or alive is in the pool. basically, we need to govern ourselves.

on prior occasions minor leaguers were picked up too early......people aimlessly anticpating philip hughes, etc. it would force me to reverse the move, but the player i dropped would then go on waivers for 3 days, as cbs does not let me send these guys back to the FA pool. theoretically, if you are #1 in the waiver pool, you could pick up a minor leaguer a day early, then you have waiver rights to that player 1st. there had to be a penalty and someone needed to be made an example of...........you still have the same shot at getting clemens in actuality, but you're now last to pick up others' crappy drops.

:thumbup: :lmao: :lmao:

actually, the goat is in my league and i am the commish of said league.the plyer in question is roger clemens.......its not that i want to be the bad guy, but cbs has its limitations. our al only league is a keeper leaguer, with minor leaguers off limits at all times, except when they are in major league camps in spring training and even that can get dicey. this rule/problem didnt exist at tq stats cause minor leaguers were not in the player pool. unfortunately, ever player, dead or alive is in the pool. basically, we need to govern ourselves.on prior occasions minor leaguers were picked up too early......people aimlessly anticpating philip hughes, etc. it would force me to reverse the move, but the player i dropped would then go on waivers for 3 days, as cbs does not let me send these guys back to the FA pool. theoretically, if you are #1 in the waiver pool, you could pick up a minor leaguer a day early, then you have waiver rights to that player 1st. there had to be a penalty and someone needed to be made an example of...........you still have the same shot at getting clemens in actuality, but you're now last to pick up others' crappy drops. :thumbup: :lmao: :lmao:
You made a good call. F'er tried to circumvent a rule he has a firm grasp of - perhaps should have penalized him even moreso.

actually, the goat is in my league and i am the commish of said league.the plyer in question is roger clemens.......its not that i want to be the bad guy, but cbs has its limitations. our al only league is a keeper leaguer, with minor leaguers off limits at all times, except when they are in major league camps in spring training and even that can get dicey. this rule/problem didnt exist at tq stats cause minor leaguers were not in the player pool. unfortunately, ever player, dead or alive is in the pool. basically, we need to govern ourselves.on prior occasions minor leaguers were picked up too early......people aimlessly anticpating philip hughes, etc. it would force me to reverse the move, but the player i dropped would then go on waivers for 3 days, as cbs does not let me send these guys back to the FA pool. theoretically, if you are #1 in the waiver pool, you could pick up a minor leaguer a day early, then you have waiver rights to that player 1st. there had to be a penalty and someone needed to be made an example of...........you still have the same shot at getting clemens in actuality, but you're now last to pick up others' crappy drops. :thumbup: :lmao: :lmao:
You made a good call. F'er tried to circumvent a rule he has a firm grasp of - perhaps should have penalized him even moreso.
i am taking 50% of his winnings as a tip. i also will drunk dial him randomly....... :lmao:

Regardless of the rule-sidestepping, any reprecussions need to be spelled out ahead of time. And if it is too much of a pain to try to enforce said rule (ala outlawing players in the minors), maybe the rule needs to be tossed.

Regardless of the rule-sidestepping, any reprecussions need to be spelled out ahead of time. And if it is too much of a pain to try to enforce said rule (ala outlawing players in the minors), maybe the rule needs to be tossed.
agreed......but until minor leaguers are allowed, something had to be done. :thumbup:

agreed......but until minor leaguers are allowed, something had to be done. :bye:
So you penalize only the most recent offender because his was the move that broke the proverbial camels back?Creating a penalty mid-season might fly in my FF league, but not without notice and most certainly not retroactively to include the most recent offender.

agreed......but until minor leaguers are allowed, something had to be done. :thumbup:
So you penalize only the most recent offender because his was the move that broke the proverbial camels back?Creating a penalty mid-season might fly in my FF league, but not without notice and most certainly not retroactively to include the most recent offender.
This was obviously an intentional violation of the rule. Such an infraction deserves a penalty, notice or not.

Don't you think NOT allowing minor leaguers is dumb? I sure as hell do. Allowing minor leaguers to be picked up would solve a lot of unnecessary monitoring and headache. I commish a 12 team dynasty league, where you can sign anyone in the universe at any time, and I must say it's the best league I'm in by far. Everyone loves the format. 34 roster spots, start 13 pos, and 9 pitchers (3 must be SP) 5x5 H2H Weekly, where winning categories counts as wins (example, if I win 6 cats to 4 cats one week, then lose 3-7 the next, I have a 9-11 record after those two weeks).

Last edited by a moderator:
agreed......but until minor leaguers are allowed, something had to be done. :lmao:
Don't you think NOT allowing minor leaguers is dumb? I sure as hell do. Allowing minor leaguers to be picked up would solve a lot of unnecessary monitoring and headache. I commish a 12 team dynasty league, where you can sign anyone in the universe at any time, and I must say it's the best league I'm in by far. Everyone loves the format. 34 roster spots, start 13 pos, and 9 pitchers (3 must be SP) 5x5 H2H Weekly, where winning categories counts as wins (example, if I win 6 cats to 4 cats one week, then lose 3-7 the next, I have a 9-11 record after those two weeks).
You've got an enormous bench. My keep 2 NL only league has 10 teams and we starter 13/9. We have 2 bench spots and 2 DL spots. With such a short bench, those spots are extremely valuable. Having to waste one all year on a prospect just isn't realistic. So you cant get a prospect until after he's played in an MLB game and is on a MLB roster. Just because it doesn't make sense for your league, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense in any league.

agreed......but until minor leaguers are allowed, something had to be done. :stalker:
You've got an enormous bench. My keep 2 NL only league has 10 teams and we starter 13/9. We have 2 bench spots and 2 DL spots. With such a short bench, those spots are extremely valuable. Having to waste one all year on a prospect just isn't realistic. So you cant get a prospect until after he's played in an MLB game and is on a MLB roster. Just because it doesn't make sense for your league, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense in any league.
True, but I also don't have the monitoring headache either. Yes, our format is designed in the dynasty concept, so minor leaguers is a necessity, but if he wants to get relief of having to roster monitor he should dump that rule. We also did away with the DL process and added 4 roster spots, because that too was a headache. There was always a controversy where a player would go on the DL by MLB, but CBS hadn't put that player on the DL. Both of these problems are no longer a commish nightmare for me, and the league likes it.

agreed......but until minor leaguers are allowed, something had to be done. :banned:
True, but I also don't have the monitoring headache either. Yes, our format is designed in the dynasty concept, so minor leaguers is a necessity, but if he wants to get relief of having to roster monitor he should dump that rule. We also did away with the DL process and added 4 roster spots, because that too was a headache. There was always a controversy where a player would go on the DL by MLB, but CBS hadn't put that player on the DL. Both of these problems are no longer a commish nightmare for me, and the league likes it.
Its not the big a deal for us. First off, the league policies itself. Everyone knows the rules, and plenty of us know the important prospects. Plus, yahoo has a NA tag for everyone not on a MLB roster. Second, we do a blind auction once a week for WW pickups, so its easy to keep track of FA moves.

So... how does the league deal with call-ups then?

Is it a game of quick-draw? If so, that seems to put a premium on the speed at which an owner can respond to call-up news, rather than on speculating talent, which is ultimately where it should be.

Users who are viewing this thread