What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How long do you sit on rookie WRs (1 Viewer)

johnadams

Footballguy
I've got a couple of dynasty teams and I have a really hard time with drafting rookie WRs. Let me rephrase that. I hate having rookie WRs on my team. I struggle all the time with keeping them on my roster. I've looked at it a variety of ways, but I can't really determine the best balance of being patient vs. having production on your roster. I'm looking for some help in this area.

Well, #1 - you shouldn't have rookie WRs in roster spots where you are expecting production in the current year. If you only have room for less than 6 or 7 WRs on your roster, rookie WRs may not be the way to go. You really don't want to have to start a guy during a bye week or injury situation on your team that may not see the field much that week (especially the first half of the year). Some roster/league set-ups are conducive to a bunch of flyers at the end of the bench - some are. #2 - base your decisions on a guy not by what typical guys do in their career production arc. Dump a guy that you feel you have a good read on and doesn't present any value in the future (via trade or in the lineup).

I'm still sitting on Nelson after these few years...waiting for his time to be a starter... But what I pretty much look for is how they produce with the few touches they get over their first few seasons, or how they do filling in for injured players. If I see some promise, like 3 or 4 catches for 40/50 yards, long bombs once in a blue, a TD here and there maybe, I'll continue to hold on to them until they get a starting opportunity. If I see very litte to nothing after a season or two, it's probably time to cut them lose and make room for some other promising rookie or FA. Rookie or not, they shut put up some game for their team from time to time so you can gauge them in some way. If they're not doing anything, I let them hang out on the wire instead of on my bench.

Maybe longer than their rookies? Besides the proclaimed studs, and some of them are clearly not, the rule is 3 years. I think you have to measure each individual separately according to their skills in conjunction with their current team. I don't think you can use a blanket approach to WRs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most dynasty owners struggle with patience for the guys who have flashed potential but did little as rookies. It is so hard to roster guys like Andre Roberts, Taylor Price, etc when there are decent options on the waiver wire. But, the step from college football (especially if not at the BCS level) to the NFL is huge for WRs.

It seems like there are players who when they come out it is said that they will take a few years to preform well. Then after a rookie year without any big games every writes them off.

More than the receiver himself, I try to figure out why. Wide receivers (especially ones that lack experience) are probably more dependent on supporting cast and factors beyond their control than almost any other position. So what helps me decide who to keep and who to bail on is a blend of VERY subjective factors. This is certainly not a complete list, but

Things that bode well for rookie/2nd/3rd year WR's staying on my roster despite lack of production:

1) Round drafted: I know it SHOULDN'T matter, but to me it does. Think Robert Meachum

2) Aging talent above him: Sometimes it's not a guy's fault. He's just waiting his turn. Think Jordy Nelson.

3) Nagging...but not season ending injuries derailing the learning curve: Think Golden Tate

4) Poor (but improving) supporting cast/system: Think Brandon Gibson

5) Elite System: Think Emmanuel Sanders

6) Catch to target ratio above 60%: Think Mike Thomas

Things that don't bode well:

1) Lack of news/updates. Sounds simple, but if even LOCAL media isn't covering a guy... Think Darrius Heyward-Bey

2) Inability to climb depth chart despite team need. Think Brandon LaFell

3) Catch to target ratio below 53%: Think Legedu Naanee

4) Better young talent above him: Think Blair White

You need to take all of those factors and weight them against other young WR's on the waiver wire. Whenever you can find a better combo of the above than what's on your roster, it's time to bail. Whatever you do, don't keep a guy because you're afraid of being wrong. Ask yourself WHY. If it doesn't add up, move on and live with it. Several years ago, I passed on a waiver wire unknown - some schmuck by the name of Colston because there was no way my second year phenom Mike Williams could be this bad. Because I ignored the above and was afraid of how it would look to everybody else. That's the best I can offer is try to look at why the guy isn't producing and are those factors temporary or do they appear to be long term.

Forgot to add: With rookie WR's specifically, just put the blinders on and forget about him. Whoever said, if you were counting on him for production then you never should have drafted him - they're right. Rookie WR's should be stashed on Developmental and completely forgotten (until they begin doing a Mike Williams 2010 of course).

First rounders are worth hanging onto at into their 3rd season, and I'd try to hang onto second rounders at least into their 2nd season. Beyond that it depends on the specifics (as FantasyTrader says).

Looking at averages, here are some numbers for WRs drafted from 1993-2006 (using the data from this post). 40 of the 56 (71%) WRs drafted in the first round during those 14 years were fantasy relevant at some point in their career, meaning that they finished in the top 36 in at least one season. If we define a breakout season as the first season in his career when a WR made the top 36, 23% (13/56) broke out as rookies, 26% (11/43) of those that did not break out as rookies broke out in their 2nd year, 38% (12/32) of those that did not break out in their first two years broke out in their 3rd year, 15% (3/20) of those that did not break out in their first 3 years broke out in their 4th year, and only 6% (1/17) of those that did not break out in their first 4 years ever broke out; the other 16 WRs never broke out (although Mike Williams still has a chance). Here are those numbers in chart form, along with the numbers for 2nd & 3rd round WRs:

Code:
year	1st rd 	2nd rd 	3rd rd1	23%	12%	4%2	26%	17%	12%3	38%	14%	9%4	15%	8%	5%after	6%	6%	0%
One problem with the definition of breakout that I used is that it says that Todd Pinkston had a 3rd year breakout (since he finished as WR30 that season; he never again made the top 50). What if we only count breakout players who have some real fantasy value? Here's that same chart, where a season only counts as a breakout if 1) the WR finishes in the top 36 that season, and 2) the WR accumulated at least 50 VBD for his career:
Code:
year	1st rd 	2nd rd 	3rd rd1	20%	7%	2%2	16%	10%	6%3	22%	5%	5%4	0%	5%	3%after	6%	0%	0%

Great topic...

First, I only roster rookie WRs if I really believe in them. You can't have roster spots eaten up with 1st year WR fliers - there are always 2nd and 3rd year guys available who you can hold for a shorter time and get the same results.

For the rookies I like a lot, I hold them until the team that drafted them lets them go. Or until I'm sure no one's going to pick them up off the WW.

If you have a limited roster size, it can be tough. I agree with most of what has been posted above.

1) Don't draft a rookie WR if you don't believe in his talent enough to wait at least a year on him.

2) If he is a first round pick, unless he has a bad injury or something, you need to wait until at least the middle of his third season. I have been hanging onto Meachem for this reason.

3) If he is a second or third round pick, evaluate the situation in the off season leading up to his second year. I have Andre Roberts and Damien Williams and like the news I am hearing about them and their situation. Tenn doesn't have much beyond Britt at WR and he has troubles and there is talk of Williams getting more of a shot. Roberts ended the season well and if Breaston leaves he has a shot to become the starter opposite Fitz.

4) After you have watched him play some in the NFL, you need to judge what his ceiling is. Can he be a WR1 or WR2 for you? Or is his ceiling a WR3. Basically, you only have so many slots for long shot guys with potential--and since they are a gamble anyway, it is best to gamble on the big potential rather than the more modest potential. Last season I dropped Earl Bennett not because I don't think he has talent as a possession WR, but because I think his fantasy ceiling is a WR3. There is a talented, young WR who makes more big plays in Knox. I just couldn't justify keeping Bennett anymore.

5) I sort of like the guideline someone above suggested: 1st round NFL picks you wait at least three seasons; second rounders gets 2 seasons; and 3rd or 4th rounders need to show you something that first season.

More than the receiver himself, I try to figure out why. Wide receivers (especially ones that lack experience) are probably more dependent on supporting cast and factors beyond their control than almost any other position. So what helps me decide who to keep and who to bail on is a blend of VERY subjective factors. This is certainly not a complete list, butThings that bode well for rookie/2nd/3rd year WR's staying on my roster despite lack of production:1) Round drafted: I know it SHOULDN'T matter, but to me it does. Think Robert Meachum2) Aging talent above him: Sometimes it's not a guy's fault. He's just waiting his turn. Think Jordy Nelson.3) Nagging...but not season ending injuries derailing the learning curve: Think Golden Tate4) Poor (but improving) supporting cast/system: Think Brandon Gibson5) Elite System: Think Emmanuel Sanders6) Catch to target ratio above 60%: Think Mike ThomasThings that don't bode well:1) Lack of news/updates. Sounds simple, but if even LOCAL media isn't covering a guy... Think Darrius Heyward-Bey2) Inability to climb depth chart despite team need. Think Brandon LaFell3) Catch to target ratio below 53%: Think Legedu Naanee4) Better young talent above him: Think Blair WhiteYou need to take all of those factors and weight them against other young WR's on the waiver wire. Whenever you can find a better combo of the above than what's on your roster, it's time to bail. Whatever you do, don't keep a guy because you're afraid of being wrong. Ask yourself WHY. If it doesn't add up, move on and live with it. Several years ago, I passed on a waiver wire unknown - some schmuck by the name of Colston because there was no way my second year phenom Mike Williams could be this bad. Because I ignored the above and was afraid of how it would look to everybody else. That's the best I can offer is try to look at why the guy isn't producing and are those factors temporary or do they appear to be long term.Forgot to add: With rookie WR's specifically, just put the blinders on and forget about him. Whoever said, if you were counting on him for production then you never should have drafted him - they're right. Rookie WR's should be stashed on Developmental and completely forgotten (until they begin doing a Mike Williams 2010 of course).
Bump because this is such a quality post. Very well thought out and presented, thank you.

I just don't draft them unless I think they're going to step in and play right away. Here are all the rookie WRs I have drafted in the past 3 years or so, off the top of my head:

Hakeem Nicks

Michael Crabtree

Mike Williams (TB) - a lot

Dez Bryant - everywhere I could

AJ Green

That's about it. I didn't even draft DeSean in any dynasty leagues (I did grab him in one redraft) because I wasn't sure if he would play right away. Same with Maclin. I don't know if I would have drafted Britt or not. I would have drafted Brandon Tate if I had kept the picks around where he was going, but only because there are IR spots and his rookie year was supposed to be on the IR.

Bottom line is, I may miss out on a lot of prospects, especially guys after round 2 in rookie drafts, but I don't have to worry about that portion of roster management. I pretty much trade away any and all rookie picks that aren't in the first 8 or so of the first round, usually. I just don't think I want to be drafting (for instance, this year) Jon Baldwin or Greg Little when I can trade 1.08 and a middle of the road WR for a better guy who isn't a rookie.

One instance of this was last season: Traded 1.03 and another mid/late first (can't recall actual pick) for Nicks and Mike Wallace. I would have ended up, probably, with Spiller and Golden Tate or Demaryius Thomas. Instead, I got guys that had already had a year to sort out at least some semblance of NFL talent or not.

Rookie picks are the single most overvalued commodity we have in dynasty fantasy football. NFL teams don't even evaluate talent that well - a ton of our fantasy rookie picks bust. A TON. Why not use that hopeful upside to trade for guys who have already shown SOMETHING for a season or two? This also allows you to minimize the "developmental" spots on your bench and have room for decent depth like Derrick Mason, Santana Moss, etc...and you don't have to worry about getting old because those guys are depth, not your core.

Another example: this year, I would trade any rookie pick outside the top 2 for Jeremy Maclin. He's shown NFL talent. He's young. And I think 1.04 or 1.05 is probably going to get accepted for him (correct me if I am wrong). Would you really rather have Julio, Greg Little, Baldwin, Ryan Williams...over Maclin? I wouldn't.

Would you really rather have Julio, Greg Little, Baldwin, Ryan Williams...over Maclin? I wouldn't.
I agree with your strategy (but I'd rather have Julio). Another example is Harvin - obviously a lot of owners are fed up with him, but he's essentially a more elite (tho shorter) version of Little. The only WRs from last year that are worth more this year are Mike Williams and guys who were barely drafted like Jacoby Ford, David Gettis and Danario. Even guys who showed promise like Benn are worth less in 2011 pick value than what the team originally spent on them. GTate and McCluster are dirt cheap compared to last year.How long you sit on a guy is very situation dependent. You have to be honest about the upside and chance for success. Like Mardy Gilyard was a late 2nd or 3rd rd pick, but you gotta just cut him. He's buried in STL and even if he saw the field it won't be more than as a 3rd or 4th WR. Guys from last year like Taylor Price and Eric Decker are holds. They didn't do anything on the field last year, but they could be 1st or 2nd WRs, and their situations could open up. It's not worth swapping them for an even younger WR who'll also be buried or for a barely rosterable RB (although if they get a bigger deal done as a flier, let them go easily).

Would you really rather have Julio, Greg Little, Baldwin, Ryan Williams...over Maclin? I wouldn't.
I agree with your strategy (but I'd rather have Julio). Another example is Harvin - obviously a lot of owners are fed up with him, but he's essentially a more elite (tho shorter) version of Little. The only WRs from last year that are worth more this year are Mike Williams and guys who were barely drafted like Jacoby Ford, David Gettis and Danario. Even guys who showed promise like Benn are worth less in 2011 pick value than what the team originally spent on them. GTate and McCluster are dirt cheap compared to last year.How long you sit on a guy is very situation dependent. You have to be honest about the upside and chance for success. Like Mardy Gilyard was a late 2nd or 3rd rd pick, but you gotta just cut him. He's buried in STL and even if he saw the field it won't be more than as a 3rd or 4th WR.

Guys from last year like Taylor Price and Eric Decker are holds. They didn't do anything on the field last year, but they could be 1st or 2nd WRs, and their situations could open up. It's not worth swapping them for an even younger WR who'll also be buried or for a barely rosterable RB (although if they get a bigger deal done as a flier, let them go easily).
This is exactly why I created the strategy I have followed the last couple seasons. People spent rookie picks on them last year. What if you had traded those picks last year for Ryan Torain or Rashad Jennings because you like to handcuff? Or for any number of other, similar guys that may have started for you twice all season and you're cutting them now. Because now, if you really actually wanted Decker or Price (or similar), you could trade this year's mid/late round rookie picks to get them. Now - I personally still wouldn't target them, and you will miss out on hit rookies that aren't in the "gonna be a stud super hype" category that go top 5. But I think it minimizes your risk and you actually get more return overall. Not to mention freeing up roster slots and eliminating headaches that comes in the form of guys like Decker who you've held a year...and now gotta hold another one.

Another example: last year, you could have traded the pick(s) used to get those guys for Santana Moss. You could do it this year too. Moss will help you win with a few spot starts. Then you can drop him (or keep him for the same role, or trade him for lower picks which you then trade for.........) and trade this year's picks to get other guys you want to fill a similar role.

ETA: or you get to drop or trade TO/Chad Johnson or somebody, Santana takes that spot, and you have a free spot to trade picks for a player(s) again. Plus you got younger going from TO to Santana and picks to a 25 or 26 year old breakout candidate without a shiny new name and hype from the draft.

I like your post but don't really see Brandon Gibson as a guy who's situation bodes well for him. I'd say he's part of the poor system/cast and the improving is the drafting of Salas/Pettis/Kendricks and whatever they do in free agency. I think I see him how you see Blair White, except I've see more playmaking ability so far from White.

I like your post but don't really see Brandon Gibson as a guy who's situation bodes well for him. I'd say he's part of the poor system/cast and the improving is the drafting of Salas/Pettis/Kendricks and whatever they do in free agency. I think I see him how you see Blair White, except I've see more playmaking ability so far from White.
It's ironic you pointed this out out because, honestly, I didn't feel good about using Gibson's name there. You're right - I think he's a poor example of what I was trying to convey. You also highlighted another important consideration, that several factors can be blended together.

I just don't draft them unless I think they're going to step in and play right away. Here are all the rookie WRs I have drafted in the past 3 years or so, off the top of my head:

Hakeem Nicks

Michael Crabtree

AJ Green

That's about it. I didn't even draft DeSean in any dynasty leagues (I did grab him in one redraft) because I wasn't sure if he would play right away. Same with Maclin. I don't know if I would have drafted Britt or not. I would have drafted Brandon Tate if I had kept the picks around where he was going, but only because there are IR spots and his rookie year was supposed to be on the IR.

Bottom line is, I may miss out on a lot of prospects, especially guys after round 2 in rookie drafts, but I don't have to worry about that portion of roster management. I pretty much trade away any and all rookie picks that aren't in the first 8 or so of the first round, usually. I just don't think I want to be drafting (for instance, this year) Jon Baldwin or Greg Little when I can trade 1.08 and a middle of the road WR for a better guy who isn't a rookie.

One instance of this was last season: Traded 1.03 and another mid/late first (can't recall actual pick) for Nicks and Mike Wallace. I would have ended up, probably, with Spiller and Golden Tate or Demaryius Thomas. Instead, I got guys that had already had a year to sort out at least some semblance of NFL talent or not.

Rookie picks are the single most overvalued commodity we have in dynasty fantasy football. NFL teams don't even evaluate talent that well - a ton of our fantasy rookie picks bust. A TON. Why not use that hopeful upside to trade for guys who have already shown SOMETHING for a season or two? This also allows you to minimize the "developmental" spots on your bench and have room for decent depth like Derrick Mason, Santana Moss, etc...and you don't have to worry about getting old because those guys are depth, not your core.

Another example: this year, I would trade any rookie pick outside the top 2 for Jeremy Maclin. He's shown NFL talent. He's young. And I think 1.04 or 1.05 is probably going to get accepted for him (correct me if I am wrong). Would you really rather have Julio, Greg Little, Baldwin, Ryan Williams...over Maclin? I wouldn't.
Could not disagree more. Rookie drafts are a goldmine for acquiring players before their value pegs. While I like Maclin quite a bit, it's a timid move to opt for him over Julio Jones or Greg Little.

Hakeem Nicks

Michael Crabtree

AJ Green

Could not disagree more. Rookie drafts are a goldmine for acquiring players before their value pegs. While I like Maclin quite a bit, it's a timid move to opt for him over Julio Jones or Greg Little.
How is it a "timid move?" It's a minimization of risk. At this point in their careers, which, between Little and Maclin, do you think has more risk? I think it's Little. He could still be a WR1, yes, but he could be a total bust. I have a hard time seeing Maclin as less than a WR2. If I can trade any pick after 1.05 or so in any given draft for a young guy who looks to have a WR2 floor based on actual NFL experience, and could be even better...I'll take that guy over whoever I can get with the rookie pick all day, every day, and twice on Sundays.Edit: and what do you think the bust rate is for those picks? If you think you're good enough at picking and choosing the guys who won't bust, more power to you. I realize that the professionals who get paid to do so aren't that great at it...and it's their job life. A full-time student who works 40 hours a week in the summer? No way in hell can I put in anywhere near the time that the professionals do, which would seem to vastly decrease the already not so great chances of success.

How is it a "timid move?" It's a minimization of risk.
LOL.... potato, potahto.
You fail to address the larger point. I think there's a difference here between timid and intelligent. Goal of a business? Minimize risk, maximize reward. Goal of NFL teams? Minimize risk, maximize reward. Purpose of scouting? Minimize risk, maximize reward.Less busts means more good players. More good players means more chances of star players. Combined, this is how teams win titles. No different in a fantasy league.

LOL.... potato, potahto.
You fail to address the larger point. I think there's a difference here between timid and intelligent. Goal of a business? Minimize risk, maximize reward. Goal of NFL teams? Minimize risk, maximize reward. Purpose of scouting? Minimize risk, maximize reward.Less busts means more good players. More good players means more chances of star players. Combined, this is how teams win titles. No different in a fantasy league.
But you don't know that you're "maximizing reward" here. Julio and Greg Little have tremendous upside, and could evolve into bona fide #1 fantasy WRs. If they do, and Maclin stays at a very good #2, then you lost out. I'm not saying your strategy is wrong, just that it doesn't necessarily mean that you'll always win out.

LOL.... potato, potahto.
But you don't know that you're "maximizing reward" here. Julio and Greg Little have tremendous upside, and could evolve into bona fide #1 fantasy WRs. If they do, and Maclin stays at a very good #2, then you lost out. I'm not saying your strategy is wrong, just that it doesn't necessarily mean that you'll always win out.
Right, but I think I should perhaps be a bit more clearer. I look at it as a ratio of risk:reward. Maclin has tremendously less risk than a guy like Little. Julio is a bit closer, and I would take Maclin, but wouldn't fault anyone for going Jones.The point is, Little might have a 1:3 chance of doing better than Maclin. He's got a 1:3 chance of being Maclin, and a 1:3 chance of being worse. Maclin has a 1:4 chance of being better, a 5:8 chance of being the same, and a 1:8 chance of being worse.Note: all that off the top of my head, and more for general purpose than the actual two players. I probably should just say Rookie WR and 1st/2nd Year WR who showed consistent promise. But the point is, yes, Rookie WR has a higher chance of being a better fantasy player. But 1 or 2 Year WR has a significantly lower chance of busting out - especially compared to the difference in the two's chances of being better. This is the first time I've tried to articulate this anywhere outside of my head, so let me know if it makes zero sense and I can give it another try.

Right, but I think I should perhaps be a bit more clearer. I look at it as a ratio of risk:reward. Maclin has tremendously less risk than a guy like Little. Julio is a bit closer, and I would take Maclin, but wouldn't fault anyone for going Jones.The point is, Little might have a 1:3 chance of doing better than Maclin. He's got a 1:3 chance of being Maclin, and a 1:3 chance of being worse. Maclin has a 1:4 chance of being better, a 5:8 chance of being the same, and a 1:8 chance of being worse.Note: all that off the top of my head, and more for general purpose than the actual two players. I probably should just say Rookie WR and 1st/2nd Year WR who showed consistent promise. But the point is, yes, Rookie WR has a higher chance of being a better fantasy player. But 1 or 2 Year WR has a significantly lower chance of busting out - especially compared to the difference in the two's chances of being better. This is the first time I've tried to articulate this anywhere outside of my head, so let me know if it makes zero sense and I can give it another try.
makes complete sense. I would also take Maclin over a pick (that I could use to Little, Baldwin, etc). I can see where some people go for the home run and prefer Little but neither choice is a "wrong" answer

It all makes sense to me. I traded my 1.03 for Mendy this year. A couple years ago I traded my entire rookie draft (1.12, 2.12, 3.12, 4.12) for Miles Austin. No regrets on either trade.

The point is, Little might have a 1:3 chance of doing better than Maclin. He's got a 1:3 chance of being Maclin, and a 1:3 chance of being worse. Maclin has a 1:4 chance of being better, a 5:8 chance of being the same, and a 1:8 chance of being worse.Note: all that off the top of my head, and more for general purpose than the actual two players. I probably should just say Rookie WR and 1st/2nd Year WR who showed consistent promise. But the point is, yes, Rookie WR has a higher chance of being a better fantasy player. But 1 or 2 Year WR has a significantly lower chance of busting out - especially compared to the difference in the two's chances of being better.
This intuition is right. Adding a bit to the numbers side:If we just look historically, Little has a small chance of ever achieving fantasy success. Rookie 2nd round WRs bust more than 2/3 of the time. In the remaining ~30% of cases, it gets trickier. From 1985-2000, the 2nd round of the NFL draft produced two stars - Isaac Bruce and Jimmy Smith - out of 58 selections. Productive 2nd round WRs from this era include Pickens, Givens, Muhammad, Toomer, Perriman, Slaughter, F. Anderson, B. Blades, V. Johnson, P. Price, Emanuel, etc. In other words, you are highly unlikely to get a "star" out of the 2nd round. Since 2000, 2nd rounders have done somewhat better. The best of the bunch have been Ochocinco, Boldin, V. Jackson, Jennings, and D. Jackson. Ochocinco and Boldin were legitimate stars and the others are good bets to continue to produce and to put together strong careers. From 2001-2009, 45 WRs were selected in the 2nd round and maybe 4-5 of those players will go on to be stars. There were a few other productive WRs (Chambers, Bryant, Branch) and the rest are either fantasy busts or too young to evaluate.To be charitable to 2nd round WRs, lets call it: 70% bust, 15-20% decent, 10-15% star.Maclin's a 1st round WR who posted quality fantasy numbers during his second season. Historically, he's in good company. Realistic comparisons (1st round WRs who posted good but not great sophomore campaigns after doing nothing as a rookie) include Andre Rison, Herman Moore, Burress, Boston, Conway, Toon, K. Robinson, and Javon Walker.It's hard to quantitatively speculate about the remainder of his career, but I think it's safe to say that Maclin is a much better fantasy prospect. I'd go so far as to estimate that he's worth about 5x as much as Greg Little and I think it's downright crazy to decree that Little has more fantasy "upside". Maclin's a better bet in every conceivable way. He's safer, has a better pedigree, and has at least as high of an upside (just look at his comps vs. Little's comps).

First rounders are worth hanging onto at into their 3rd season, and I'd try to hang onto second rounders at least into their 2nd season. Beyond that it depends on the specifics (as FantasyTrader says).

Looking at averages, here are some numbers for WRs drafted from 1993-2006 (using the data from this post). 40 of the 56 (71%) WRs drafted in the first round during those 14 years were fantasy relevant at some point in their career, meaning that they finished in the top 36 in at least one season. If we define a breakout season as the first season in his career when a WR made the top 36, 23% (13/56) broke out as rookies, 26% (11/43) of those that did not break out as rookies broke out in their 2nd year, 38% (12/32) of those that did not break out in their first two years broke out in their 3rd year, 15% (3/20) of those that did not break out in their first 3 years broke out in their 4th year, and only 6% (1/17) of those that did not break out in their first 4 years ever broke out; the other 16 WRs never broke out (although Mike Williams still has a chance). Here are those numbers in chart form, along with the numbers for 2nd & 3rd round WRs:

year 1st rd 2nd rd 3rd rd1 23% 12% 4%2 26% 17% 12%3 38% 14% 9%4 15% 8% 5%after 6% 6% 0%One problem with the definition of breakout that I used is that it says that Todd Pinkston had a 3rd year breakout (since he finished as WR30 that season; he never again made the top 50). What if we only count breakout players who have some real fantasy value? Here's that same chart, where a season only counts as a breakout if 1) the WR finishes in the top 36 that season, and 2) the WR accumulated at least 50 VBD for his career:
Code:
year	1st rd 	2nd rd 	3rd rd1	20%	7%	2%2	16%	10%	6%3	22%	5%	5%4	0%	5%	3%after	6%	0%	0%
I think this is really helpful information. I'm working with a somewhat different set of data (mostly 1985-2000 and with 1st and 2nd round WRs lumped together) and a different WR baseline (WR30) but what I've seen matches up well with this. In terms of career prospects, it seems to me like the average career fantasy values of unproductive young WRs depreciates by about half for each season they are in the league. So, for instance, a rookie WR is worth about twice as much as a 2nd year guy who has done nothing (all other considerations being equal) and a 3rd year guy who hasn't broken out is worth half again, or about 1/4 of the original value. The actual numbers from 1985-2000, baseline WR30, for all WRs drafted in the first 2 rounds:1st year 0 VBD production : average of ~70 career VBD points per player

2nd year still no production: average of ~35 career VBD points

3rd year still no production: average of ~20 career VBD points

4th year still no production: average of ~5 career VBD points

I think that ZWK's right to state that you should hold onto 1st round WRs for about 1 extra season and I'd also guess that his "2 years for 2nd rounders, 3 year for 1st rounders" is pretty close to perfect.

Maclin over Little doesn't seem controversial at all. That would seem to be the consensus actually. Maclin just went 3.12 in a dynasty startup draft (the rookie draft is separate). Even with devys as part of the rookie draft, I doubt you could trade the 4th or 5th pick for him (and I think Little will go 7th or so in our league, not 4th).

As for Julio Jones, I think its much closer. You could make a good argument for either guy. Both are pretty similar in age. Both actually seem pretty safe to at least give you WR 2 or 3 production. I think Maclin's a little safer due to the fact he's already done it. However, I think Julio probably has more upside due to (1) his size and (2) the fact he should be the undisputed #1 in Atlanta in a couple years (Roddy is 31) whereas Maclin will likely always be co#1 with DJax.

Personally, I like Jones a little more, but I could see it either way and it would depend in part upon the other options you have at WR, if you are a top contender this year, etc as you are likely sacrificing some production in 2011 for potentially higher production in future years.

Maclin over Little doesn't seem controversial at all. That would seem to be the consensus actually. Maclin just went 3.12 in a dynasty startup draft (the rookie draft is separate). Even with devys as part of the rookie draft, I doubt you could trade the 4th or 5th pick for him (and I think Little will go 7th or so in our league, not 4th).As for Julio Jones, I think its much closer. You could make a good argument for either guy. Both are pretty similar in age. Both actually seem pretty safe to at least give you WR 2 or 3 production. I think Maclin's a little safer due to the fact he's already done it. However, I think Julio probably has more upside due to (1) his size and (2) the fact he should be the undisputed #1 in Atlanta in a couple years (Roddy is 31) whereas Maclin will likely always be co#1 with DJax.Personally, I like Jones a little more, but I could see it either way and it would depend in part upon the other options you have at WR, if you are a top contender this year, etc as you are likely sacrificing some production in 2011 for potentially higher production in future years.
It devolved into Maclin over Little, but I don't think that was the point (it wasn't mine). The point was, in most drafts, I trade any pick from 1.04 on for a guy with a profile similar to Maclin: Previous draft pick, showed some promise after a season or two...rather than take a receiver who you have to wait a season or two for and has a higher bust chance.

Sometimes it depends on who the QB is.

Held Gettis hoping Luck came out and got drafted by Carolina. With Scam Newton there, I drop Gettis as soon as our draft starts.

Marcus Easley would be someone I held longer than normal (in the 6 of 6 spot) to see if they get a real NFL QB.

Good topic, and some awesome responses here.

zwk, az prof, and wdcrob had 3 great posts in a row.

I usually wait 3 years, if I can. If I cant, it means I need to manage my roster better. Either:

A. I need to deal some 2 for 1 combos

Or

B. I need to deal the picks for future, ie, a current 3 for a 2.

I always try to have room on my august roster, bc someone always seems to cut a decent prospect for a freshly drafted rookie. In order to do this, you really have to try and, maneuver up in rookie drafts to free up some room, or, trade for future picks, then try and move up and bundle picks.

Dillard was the classic case here for me. A second round rookie pick, bloom loved him, but being hurt, I knew I could safely cut him and he would not be rostered. Being hurt I could justify it.

A non 1st rounder this year, I think you have to hold onyo for 3 years is greg salas. Solid qb situation, and a glut of wrs right now on that roster. Avery and alexander health issues justify holding onto him for an extended time period.

Great topic but I have a slightly different problem. Our dynasty league has huge rosters and player contracts. You can put up to 5 years on any player and I struggle to figure out how many years to put on wideouts. I have Andre Roberts for 3 more years and I can't just drop him because I lose the 3 years for other players.

yeah, great topic, I was searching for that kind of discussion (and made a thread in another forum for it with less response) so good work @johnadams and all the people who contributed some nice advice and opinion.

To keep this topic interesting we shouldn't focus on a specific player or situation (should I drop/add him, move pick X for player X) but rather keep it "theoretical" with examples like on the top of the post.

Let's keep the discussion rollin' and relinquish on details that doesn't fit the general idea of this thread.

to add two points to FantasyTraders helpful list:

Things that don't bode well:I would add

- season ending/threatening injuries/health concerns (Demaryius Thomas)

the point "4) Poor (but improving) supporting cast/system" on the positive list could also be transferred to the don't bode well list.

- Rookie on a pass-unfriendly team /poor supporting cast/system (like TEN, SF or OAK just 160 and 204/194 complete passes* by comparison IND:450 complete passes or NO: 448 complete passes, so it's a big gap between 160/450 passes and a big gap for opportunities)

*passing attempts would have the same results

I just repeat the points from FantasyTrade into their negative forms but they could be helpful as well.

Great topic but I have a slightly different problem. Our dynasty league has huge rosters and player contracts. You can put up to 5 years on any player and I struggle to figure out how many years to put on wideouts. I have Andre Roberts for 3 more years and I can't just drop him because I lose the 3 years for other players.
Don't put your years on rookie wideouts. Wait a year or two and get them through FA or trades. Contract leagues make it even more crucial that you avoid busts - which means avoiding risk.

Does anyone want a rookie at all this year, period. With the lockout and little team traing, and with rookies having very little as far as info on the plays, not a good combo for rooks this year. STAY AWAY!

Does anyone want a rookie at all this year, period. With the lockout and little team traing, and with rookies having very little as far as info on the plays, not a good combo for rooks this year. STAY AWAY!
If we're talking about dynasty leagues, which is what this thread is about, of course you do still want rookies with good potential. To look at them through a rookie year only prism would show a real lack of understanding of the career curve of players and the point of having rookies on your roster. Except for the rare RB here and there, you should not be relying on rookie year production in this or any year.

If we're talking about dynasty leagues, which is what this thread is about, of course you do still want rookies with good potential. To look at them through a rookie year only prism would show a real lack of understanding of the career curve of players and the point of having rookies on your roster. Except for the rare RB here and there, you should not be relying on rookie year production in this or any year.
True, but I am confused with your last line, as you can expect certain rookies to produce in certain situations.This was more or less a simple statement regarding rookies this year. You would draft rookies as you do every year. But I traded all my rookie picks, as I want nothing to do with this years rookies. I dont play to win titles in 3 years from now, I try to win now. This years rookies would not help me with that, but thats why people have different styles.

If you have a limited roster size, it can be tough. I agree with most of what has been posted above.

1) Don't draft a rookie WR if you don't believe in his talent enough to wait at least a year on him.

2) If he is a first round pick, unless he has a bad injury or something, you need to wait until at least the middle of his third season. I have been hanging onto Meachem for this reason.

3) If he is a second or third round pick, evaluate the situation in the off season leading up to his second year. I have Andre Roberts and Damien Williams and like the news I am hearing about them and their situation. Tenn doesn't have much beyond Britt at WR and he has troubles and there is talk of Williams getting more of a shot. Roberts ended the season well and if Breaston leaves he has a shot to become the starter opposite Fitz.

4) After you have watched him play some in the NFL, you need to judge what his ceiling is. Can he be a WR1 or WR2 for you? Or is his ceiling a WR3. Basically, you only have so many slots for long shot guys with potential--and since they are a gamble anyway, it is best to gamble on the big potential rather than the more modest potential. Last season I dropped Earl Bennett not because I don't think he has talent as a possession WR, but because I think his fantasy ceiling is a WR3. There is a talented, young WR who makes more big plays in Knox. I just couldn't justify keeping Bennett anymore.

5) I sort of like the guideline someone above suggested: 1st round NFL picks you wait at least three seasons; second rounders gets 2 seasons; and 3rd or 4th rounders need to show you something that first season.
Although I'm sure it's obvious to some, upside is one of the main things I look at when it's time for cutdowns. For instance, if I think a player's skill set will likely leave him as a slot receiver/#2 receiver on a needy team I'll be okay cutting bait. Damian Williams is a name that comes to mind. I like him as a player, but for fantasy I doubt he'll ever be a guy I could start on a weekly basis. Or if a player has flashed the raw talent to become a team's #1 WR without production, I'll risk holding on a little bit too long, such as Sidney Rice after his first two years. Some younger examples like Emmanuel Sanders and Jacoby Ford are guys I'll be sticking with even if they don't reach expectations this year.

Which would you have rather had last year ? Boldin or Dez Bryant ? Who would you have rather had in 1998 highly regarded Robert Brooks or Carl Pickens or some rookie kid named Randy Moss ?

Everything depends on everything. No set answer for a vet vs a rookie. I traded up to make sure I landed Randy Moss in 1998 in my rookie draft. That ended up being critical to my success the last 14 years. Robert Brooks had an ok career and Pickens had a few great years and both were rated higher then Moss at the time but the very next year who was rated higher ? For the next 10 years ?

Which would you have rather had last year ? Boldin or Dez Bryant ? Who would you have rather had in 1998 highly regarded Robert Brooks or Carl Pickens or some rookie kid named Randy Moss ?

Everything depends on everything. No set answer for a vet vs a rookie. I traded up to make sure I landed Randy Moss in 1998 in my rookie draft. That ended up being critical to my success the last 14 years. Robert Brooks had an ok career and Pickens had a few great years and both were rated higher then Moss at the time but the very next year who was rated higher ? For the next 10 years ?
Where did Moss and Bryant go in rookie drafts though?It's like you didn't even read. Here, try this. It's not about whether or not you draft the #1 rated wideout on a yearly basis. It's about how long you should hold onto prospects, and it became a bit of a debate on whether or not you should draft those late first an beyond prospects to begin with.

I can't recall any issues with your posting before, but dude...the past week or so you have really sucked. WTF happened?

Users who are viewing this thread