What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Do You Make The Perfect Taco? (1 Viewer)

My wife always gets a kick out of me asking her to make some authentic Puerto Rican food for dinner and I ask for tacos* 

*She's Puerto Rican and when I say "gets a kick out of it" I mean might stab me one day
I bet her tostones game is on point, right?  Does she use the Adobo when making pork chops?

Yeah, taco snobbery is the worst. I agree. Celebrate your taco as flour or corn or a blend or masa. Soft, fried or hard. With chicken or beef or pork or tongue or picadillo or carnitas or cabrito. With or without cheese. And with onions and peppers or not. Along with whatever veggies inspire you. How can such a beautiful food divide us?
In the summer we'll do a street taco buffet outside with the kids. Usually on a Saturday where we hit the farmers market. I'll marinate the chicken and grill it up, and then cut up a bunch of veggies: lettuce, tomato, sweet corn, onions, radishes, peppers - usually a whole mess of stuff. We go nuts throwing different things in there. 

There is a place close to my work where I can get fresh made tortillas. Those days are pure heaven. 

I shall defer to your experience. 

Alas, we are not you. I consider myself a fortunate man. My younger years were spent serving many touring acts of various persuasions and skill and styles and music as they traversed the fly over country in the early 80’s through the mid 90’s. I was a younger fella then, but we served food and drink and took care of road crews and musical acts and developed quite the reputation as a welcome respite on a daily grind of basic food and sundries.

We cared. We took a tour rider and turned it into an experience. We made people feel at home for a brief 24 hour period. My formative years were spent watching rock stars backstage peacock themselves for their muse and their loins. But that’s a whole ‘nother story.

I imagine you in your life you have made your way to a part of the world where the taco was a religion. And I stand aside and hope that one day in my life I can get “there.”

But when I was but a wee boy, a single mom served a simple taco in a hard shell because that was all she knew. Meat was a luxury in those days, and salsa was a dream that the Mexican boys on my soccer team talked about but never gave me the recipe.

So “my” taco is my taco, just like others here enjoy the tacos of their lifespan.

I hope one day to enjoy an authentic taco, but until then.....my taco must suffice. If you may, please lead me to “your” taco.

I am your disciple.
i'm not really a snob, just a butthole. shell tacos are fun, easy, tasty, just behind grilled cheeses as a thing i wanna eat ten of as soon as i bite into one. it's just that what they're based on is one of the great food experiences to be had and jackhole me wanted to make the distinction.

many societies across the world - central Africa, central Asia, central America, India - use their bread as their eating implement. you make bowls & platters of good goop, grab a naan or roti or lavash or injera or tortilla or whatever kind of flatbread you got and scoop some up, put some raw onion or lime or pickles on top and woomph

when i moved to New Mexico in the 70s, it was more Mexican than New. i dated a Chicana early on and her whole family delighted in setting my pasty Irish tongue on fire and stomach on spew with their concoctions. the abuelitas (li'l ol' ladies) would would howl to sneak some serious heat or organ meat or pigface past me. but there was also harvest feasts, goat roasts, Christmas tamales etc that showed me how much cultures who dont have much else put a lot of care and celebration into their foods.

to this day, i HATE spending $20+ on a Mexican entree because the whole point of the cuisine was making due with corn, beans, squash & scrap meat or daily catch. they did it by turning the peppers & tomatoes & herbs that grow well in the desert into marinades, sauces & relishes to give some flavor to their bottom food. and that's what's at the heart of a good taco.

grind some of it up and marinate that bottom meat or catch before cooking, grind some more up with tomatoes and fry it in hot oil to make a smooth salsa to pour over whatever form you eat it and then chop everything else (with fruit if you can) up to put fresh or pickled on top . got cheese or crema, too? bring it on. i guess it dont matter if it's a shell, a warmed tortilla (double em up so the good stuff dont leak out) or your sandal you eat it with - just dig that spicy buenocity!

My wife always gets a kick out of me asking her to make some authentic Puerto Rican food for dinner and I ask for tacos* 

*She's Puerto Rican and when I say "gets a kick out of it" I mean might stab me one day
Just don't follow up the Puerto Rican tacos suggestion with a viewing of West Side Story.

Tacos de pollo. Made them yesterday. Marinate the chicken thighs in a small amount of oil and a generously coating of Tajin. Hit them a splash of apple-cider vinegar about an hour before going on the grill. Something magical happens when you combine Tajin + chicken skin + grill. Chop up the chicken, grill some tortillas, and serve with lightly sauteed onions, cilantro, guac, and pico. The perfect tacos.
Tajin is amazing.  I put that on grilled chicken, pork chops, potatoes and grilled vegatables (zucchini, peppers, onions asparagus).  Stuff is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread