What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you decompress from a stressful day? (1 Viewer)

Chadstroma

Footballguy
Today I got a loan closed that was the most stressful loan I have ever dealt with in 20 years of banking/lending. Numerous times it looked like it was dead and then we figured out something... a uncooperative seller and listing agent hoping for it fall through so the seller keeps the earnest money and the realtor sells it in dual agency for a buyer he lined up... numerous minor missteps or issue from the client, realtor, and title with all looking at us to correct it.... and it went literally right up to the last minute on the deadline. We got it done... moved heaven and earth.

Wow....

All to say that I am coming off a stressful day. There are some things I normally do to feel better but not available to me right now for various reasons.

What do you do coming off a stressful day?

Today I got a loan closed that was the most stressful loan I have ever dealt with in 20 years of banking/lending. Numerous times it looked like it was dead and then we figured out something... a uncooperative seller and listing agent hoping for it fall through so the seller keeps the earnest money and the realtor sells it in dual agency for a buyer he lined up... numerous minor missteps or issue from the client, realtor, and title with all looking at us to correct it.... and it went literally right up to the last minute on the deadline. We got it done... moved heaven and earth.

Wow....

All to say that I am coming off a stressful day. There are some things I normally do to feel better but not available to me right now for various reasons.

1. Play some video games
2. Take a nice long hot shower or bath
3. Have a good time with the wife if the mood should strike you
4. Watch a good ball game
5. Watch a great movie

In other words just move on.

Change into comfy clothes (t-shirt and hoop shorts are my go-to) and lay on my bed, watch some sports or mindless show and scroll through social media or play games on my phone.

Also like the idea of exercise followed by a long hot shower.... need to do this more.

Depending on the day/evening, some beers and/or cocktails with friends also hits the spot.

Sitting out at the park watching my son practice with his flag football team also calms me down (especially if he's listening to his coach and doing what he's supposed to do!)

Go for a walk. Smile and say hello to other people that you come across on the walk. If you dont work tomorrow- unwind with a drink or an edible when you get back home

Walk in the neighborhood, if your neighborhood has a decent walkability score.

Meditate

Lose yourself in cooking dinner while listening to relaxing music

Exercise

TV/Video game

Hot shower/bath

Board game/cards with spouse/friends

On a work day….
-Hot shower to wash off the day
-A good meal
-comfy cloths
-melt into a TV show or movie

Weekend….
-go for a spirited canyon drive
-time with the family
-put my headphones on and get to woodworking in my shop.

Walk the dog, every day. Most days with the wife. If she’s not available, a good podcast or comedy on Pandora. The number one best thing we have going by our house is a 3 mile greenway where you’re surrounded by trees and a creek. You’ll walk by about a dozen people.

I’ll sit and read for half an hour or so with a back massager rolling.

I used to have a drink or three, haven’t done that in six weeks now.

Last edited:

Wow....

I had a similar closing last month. Seller/condo developer fired his real estate broker mid stream. Broker liened the property, basically saying you can fire me, but you still have to pay me. Lots of delays in the construction, with everyone pointing fingers. As a result, buyer and seller also hated each other. Then, as soon as buyer found out seller wanted to close early, buyer announced they would only close on the very last contract date. Then their wire didn't hit by the end of business on the last contract date. Seller wants me to cancel the deal. Everyone else wants me to complete the deal. I'm trying to be Switzerland. Ugh.

Anyway in answer to your direct question, I walk the dog down to the tiny little beach about a quarter mile from the house, sometimes with a beer. Almost never anyone else there.

I've recently discovered meditation. It is -awesome-. A lot of people think that it is a religious thing or that you have to be sitting on some TIbetan mountain top and have your mind go completely blank, and that if you don't do that, that you're "doing it wrong." A lot of people also think that when you meditate you're supposed to be having these huge existential, life-changing moments of epipihany. While, that might happen with time & practice, for the vast majority of people, meditation can be done to help us deal with our own, mundane, day-to-day thoughts and emotions.

There is so much "background noise" in our minds, that we just push off to the side, because we're busy doing something else at that moment that the thought arrives. We might be at work, or driving, or eating, or watching a game or whatever, but we have all of these thoughts build up, and "clog up" our mind. We never give them the attention they crave, and sort of like fat clogging our veins, the thoughts clog up our minds. When we walk around with these clogged up minds, we are constantly, mentally distracted, even if we don't realize that we are.

When you meditate, you allow yourself to just focus on what you're thinking and feeling. This doesn't have to be anything overly deep or emotional, it could be something really simple. For example, if you've been thinking that you want to re-start a hobby that has gotten away from you over the past few years. You might meditate, and find that your thoughts and feelings bring up the idea that "I really -do- want to start playing golf again." Maybe after you meditate, you take action, and go play golf that weekend, or maybe, it was just enough, at this moment, to realize that you do in-fact want to start playing golf again, and it isn't just some passing thought in your head.

Now, when you're out living your life, there is a good chance that 1) You will be more present because, you probably won't have that "I should start playing golf again" thought, pop-up in your head during a meeting or while you should be focused on the task in-front of you. and 2) There is a better chance you'll -actually- go play golf again, instead of just thinking or talking about it, because you gave attention and time to that thought and feeling while you meditated.

There doesn't have to be some huge existential life changing revelation or teleportation to Nirvana. Keep it simple and don't have huge expecations for it. Give it a shot. If you're consistent, it will make you feel better, you'll be more present and more aware of yourself.

A couple drinks/ preferably with some friends
Go out to dinner with my wife
A nice long walk
Just go to bed

Users who are viewing this thread