What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How can a young kid be so messed up? (1 Viewer)

tri-man 47

Footballguy
I'd first heard of this from my sister: A 9 year old boy (former student of hers) was at a playground a couple days ago with his brother and a friend. A 12 year old boy they didn't know called them over to the sandbox ...and promptly pulled a knife out of the sand and stabbed the 9 y.o. to death. The boys didn't know each other at all. The 12 y.o. walked to a nearby house, asked to use a phone, and calmly called 911 and then waited for the cops to arrest him. He will be tried as an adult.

The victim was a real sweet kid, I hear, and the oldest of 4 boys in a family that has very little. This CNN article has a link to a GoFundMe for those so inclined. TIA

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/06/justice/michigan-boy-stabbing-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I just can't comprehend how a 12 y.o. kid can be so disturbed to do something like this in such a cold-blooded manner. :(

I'd first heard of this from my sister: A 9 year old boy (former student of hers) was at a playground a couple days ago with his brother and a friend. A 12 year old boy they didn't know called them over to the sandbox ...and promptly pulled a knife out of the sand and stabbed the 9 y.o. to death. The boys didn't know each other at all. The 12 y.o. walked to a nearby house, asked to use a phone, and calmly called 911 and then waited for the cops to arrest him. He will be tried as an adult.

The victim was a real sweet kid, I hear, and the oldest of 4 boys in a family that has very little. This CNN article has a link to a GoFundMe for those so inclined. TIA

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/06/justice/michigan-boy-stabbing-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

I just can't comprehend how a 12 y.o. kid can be so disturbed to do something like this in such a cold-blooded manner. :(
Google "mental illness". HTH

Can a 12 year old ever just be evil?

He can be a psychopath or a sociopath and do evil things although most don't. Based on some stuff I read on this the kid sounds messed up emotionally. I am leaning toward some abuse but he could have just been born miswired

People laugh when you talk about video games and the psychological effect they can have. These games do desensitize people to violence. I have no idea if this kid played those kinds of games, but it wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

I am a normal, mentally sound adult and after I played Blacks Ops for a couple weeks I would notice people at work walking behind cubicles and I would think “I could snipe that guy”. Of course, I don’t even own a gun and don’t have mental issues. If I did have issues or was a young child, I could easily see how these games can mess with their minds.

People laugh when you talk about video games and the psychological effect they can have. These games do desensitize people to violence. I have no idea if this kid played those kinds of games, but it wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

I am a normal, mentally sound adult and after I played Blacks Ops for a couple weeks I would notice people at work walking behind cubicles and I would think “I could snipe that guy”. Of course, I don’t even own a gun and don’t have mental issues. If I did have issues or was a young child, I could easily see how these games can mess with their minds.
Can we stop this already? Millions of kids play those games. They don't kill anyone. He did this because he wanted to be arrested and I assume killed by the justice system. It had nothing to do with any video game. This kid is a mess and would be in any era.

Can we stop this already? Millions of kids play those games. They don't kill anyone. He did this because he wanted to be arrested and I assume killed by the justice system. It had nothing to do with any video game. This kid is a mess and would be in any era.
Of course millions play. Millions dont play and have mental issues to go along with it.

Of course millions play. Millions dont play and have mental issues to go along with it.
And what would your point be exactly?

Can't the same be said about books and television?

Or milk. I bet he drank milk.

Besides the obvious mental health issues, you need to look at the home life and parents. I'd have to imagine there was either neglect, abuse, or something terribly wrong to not catch any warning signs or just disregard.

Sure it can.

Totally true. I played a ton of video games when I was younger. Today I can't drive more than 2 blocks without throwing turtle shells and banana peels at other motorists.

And wore clothing.

It's the stupid skinny jeans!

Sure it can.
We should ban Shakespeare on grounds of violence.

Besides the obvious mental health issues, you need to look at the home life and parents. I'd have to imagine there was either neglect, abuse, or something terribly wrong to not catch any warning signs or just disregard.
Sometimes parents don't want to believe what they have on their hands. And even though they won't admit it they do recognize it and then shun the child because at the end of the day he scares them. That could have been the reason for his no one loves me thing. Or that could just be manipulative behavior we would expect from someone with a severe pathology.

And wore clothing.

It's the stupid skinny jeans!
I believe you have nailed it.

I teach middle school so...yes.

Actually I don't believe in "evil".

if you don’t think seeing or doing something repeatedly desensitizes you to the act, you may be the one with mental issues.

if you don’t think seeing or doing something repeatedly desensitizes you to the act, you may be the one with mental issues.
What is your point here? Are you saying you believe video games led what would have been a normal well adjusted boy to kill another child?

Yes we keep hearing this but the reality is violent crimes are down in this country. In fact in 2010 violent crimes were committed at 1/3 the rate they were in 1994. 2012 saw the fifth straight year of declines in the US. Heck less cops were killed by gun violence last year than in 1890. So apparently desensitized or not it isn't leading to a wave of murdering children or anyone else for that matter.

if you dont think seeing or doing something repeatedly desensitizes you to the act, you may be the one with mental issues.
Yes we keep hearing this but the reality is violent crimes are down in this country. In fact in 2010 violent crimes were committed at 1/3 the rate they were in 1994. 2012 saw the fifth straight year of declines in the US. Heck less cops were killed by gun violence last year than in 1890. So apparently desensitized or not it isn't leading to a wave of murdering children or anyone else for that matter.
So we should play more video games?

if you dont think seeing or doing something repeatedly desensitizes you to the act, you may be the one with mental issues.
Maybe we should look for real causes instead of specious ones. And maybe we could actually get some of our mental health infrastructure back that Saint Ronny decided we didn't really need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point. You know who plays a lot of video games? The Japanese. Just look how much violent crime happens in Japan. It's a veritable blood-bath over there.

Maybe we should look for real causes instead of specious ones.
But it's more fun to point fingers.

Maybe we should look for real causes instead of specious ones. And maybe we could actually get some of our mental health infrastructure back that Saint Ronny decided we didn't really need.
The problem with mental health laws is that potential patients also have rights. If they dont think they need help and havent committed a crime, you cant make them get help.

The problem with mental health laws is that potential patients also have rights. If they dont think they need help and havent committed a crime, you cant make them get help.
Not true. Not true at all.

Still need treatment centers. Still need beds to hold people. Most of the people living on the street are suffering from some kind of mental illness.

Still need treatment centers. Still need beds to hold people. Most of the people living on the street are suffering from some kind of mental illness.
Agreed.

Wow... and there are more guns than ever. I guess this means guns reduce violence as do violent video games.

But violent crimes are going down... so what exactly is the problem?

You guys are right. Our violent society has nothing to do with any of this. Carry on.
Be careful switching gears that fast. You might screw up your transmission.

Your original point was about VIDEO GAMES not our society.
Im not switching anything. Kids get their violence through video games more than anywhere else. No, i dont have a link...its just my speculation.
I know, every time I shoot a duck in the face with a shotgun I'm totally surprised that he doesn't just flip his bill back around.

You guys are right. Our violent society has nothing to do with any of this. Carry on.

Im not switching anything. Kids get their violence through video games more than anywhere else. No, i dont have a link...its just my speculation.
I know, every time I shoot a duck in the face with a shotgun I'm totally surprised that he doesn't just flip his bill back around.
:lmao:

What the hell does "get their violence" mean?

And the bold pretty much sums it up. You're just spouting crap at this point.

lol

What the hell does "get their violence" mean?

And the bold pretty much sums it up. You're just spouting crap at this point.
Where do they see or have violence in their lives. I dont think figuring out what "get their violence" means is really that difficult.

Sometimes parents don't want to believe what they have on their hands. And even though they won't admit it they do recognize it and then shun the child because at the end of the day he scares them. That could have been the reason for his no one loves me thing. Or that could just be manipulative behavior we would expect from someone with a severe pathology.
It will be interesting to hear the backdrop on this 12 y.o. and the environment he comes from. Not sure that we'll learn anything new from it (unless it involves skinny jeans).

Users who are viewing this thread