What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans forever - Petitioning Tank to stay away from nightclubs and goal line blocking (1 Viewer)

To put the value of Stroud on a rookie contact into some perspective:

Let's start with the obvious positives. In addition to being a wildly entertaining and poised quarterback, C.J. Stroud now has the most valuable contract in all of football. He's owed a total of $12.1 million over the next three years, will have a fifth-year option available after that and isn't even eligible for an extension until 2026. He's going to make less per season than the top quarterbacks are making per game in 2025. You'd probably take Patrick Mahomes over Stroud, but given the contract and his precocious performance as a 22-year-old, Stroud is probably the No. 2 overall pick in a leaguewide roster re-draft.

Actually, here's the rest from that article on the Texans. Think we brought up before that the Texans' roster is older than we tend to think, but this hits on it more clearly:
-----
On the other hand: Did you know the Texans are one of the oldest teams in football? It's true. By snap-weighted age, they are actually the league's fourth-oldest team, with a league-average offense and the fifth-oldest defense. They're essentially identical to the Bills, whose contending window most believe to be shutting because of the age of their roster.

Does snap-weighted age not tell the entire story of how young and valuable Houston's players are at several key positions? Of course. Does it also tell us the players around them are older than you would expect? Yes. Caserio's philosophy over the past few lean years has been to invest heavily in veterans signed to short-term deals, allowing the Texans to fill out their roster with players who won't damage the team's flexibility in the long term.

The problem with doing that now is that a lot of those players need to be replaced, and the Texans don't necessarily have young players ready to step in. They had 26 players line up for at least 40% of the offensive or defensive snaps this season, and 10 of them are free agents this offseason. Many of those players were stopgaps, but stopgaps exist for a reason -- because there's nothing else to take their place. Houston is more ambitious now, and it won't be able to make it to the next level by relying on veterans on low-cost, short-term deals to fill out half of its starting lineup.

In the big picture, a lot of teams would love to be the Texans right now. They don't have their own first- or third-round picks in this year's draft as part of the Anderson trade, but they have picks coming to them from the Browns as the last selections from the Deshaun Watson heist. The Texans might have the league's most exciting core of players on rookie deals and a possible Coach of the Year in DeMeco Ryans. If they can add to that this offseason, they'll be in great shape. After three years of toiling in relative obscurity, though, the stakes for building this roster and taking advantage of Stroud's rookie deal are a lot higher.

Let's start with the obvious positives. In addition to being a wildly entertaining and poised quarterback, C.J. Stroud now has the most valuable contract in all of football. He's owed a total of $12.1 million over the next three years, will have a fifth-year option available after that and isn't even eligible for an extension until 2026. He's going to make less per season than the top quarterbacks are making per game in 2025. You'd probably take Patrick Mahomes over Stroud, but given the contract and his precocious performance as a 22-year-old, Stroud is probably the No. 2 overall pick in a leaguewide roster re-draft.
What do you think each side should want to do here in regards to Stroud's contract status?

What do you think each side should want to do here in regards to Stroud's contract status?

His contract can't be changed until 2026, so nothing for a couple of years.

His contract can't be changed until 2026, so nothing for a couple of years.

Unless he regresses badly the next two years, he’ll almost certainly be extended early in 2026. Keep his base salary pretty low likely for ‘26 & ‘27 with a big signing bonus over 5 years (i think that is the max.) thats kind of been the blueprint for blue-chip young QB’s so far. Gets them paid at a lower overall # since QB salaries keep exploding and also gives the team a few more years before the hefty salary cap #’s kick-in.

This team will need the cap space to fill holes, as the other article said, lots of short-term band-aids especially on defense. They need to continue to draft well and plug a few holes in FA hopefully with some impact guys that end up somewhat worth their big FA contracts.

If I were a Browns fan, I would not enjoy that video. What In the world was their defensive game plan? Have #33 stand motionless in the deep center of the field as uncovered pass catchers stream by him?

Loved Stroud throwing play action from under Center, time after time. The Ravens run D has been uncharacteristically soft this year, but a big part of that is that they really don't care that much. Their game plan seems to be that you're not going to score enough points running the ball to beat Lamar, so go ahead and have some moderate success doing that until you get to the red zone. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Singletary put up good yardage numbers but not score

TE Mark Andrews was not activated off injured reserve Friday, which means he will not play in the Baltimore Ravens' divisional playoff game against the Houston Texans on Saturday.

Tough loss yesterday, guys. Penalties didn't help, but the Texans weren't winning that game even without them.

I love what Houston is doing, though. They have the 5 most important positions locked (HC, QB, CB1, LT, Edge) and have good receivers. Fill in some blanks through the draft & FA, and they are going to be a real headache for the rest of the AFC.

I was kind of prepared for a loss last week. I wasn't as prepared for it this week. This one hurt, mainly for all the shooting themselves in the foot and not keeping it close.

Still, proud of what the team has done as a whole. Just going to take a few days to get past the rest of it though.

I was kind of prepared for a loss last week. I wasn't as prepared for it this week. This one hurt, mainly for all the shooting themselves in the foot and not keeping it close.

Still, proud of what the team has done as a whole. Just going to take a few days to get past the rest of it though.

They gave us hope and fought hard in the 1st half but it was a tough watch after that. Baltimore's Defense is just too good. Much was made about Cleveland but these guys are on another level. Despite all that, I thought CJ played well given all the pressure and limited receiving options. The a** whipping made it apparent how much they miss Tank Dell and that we need to find a better RB.

It was a fun year and think we were all shocked at how well they performed. For the first time in a decade, I'm actually hopeful about this team and really looking forward to 2024/5. With this core we can win much more than the AFC South. Let's hope Sweater Vest doesn't screw this up 🤞

I previously said I thought there was very little chance that Slowick get's hired as a head coach after just one season as OC. That he'd have to really blow a team away with the interpersonal stuff.

Ok I'm starting to get a little antsy here. Dave Canales got hired by the Panthers with just 1 year as an OC as far as I can tell. Second interview with the Falcons for Slowik. Granted that Altanta has interviewed 14 candidates and Slowik isn't the only second interview. Had a second interview with Washington as well. And like Canales having history with the Panthers new GM from a past coaching staff... Slowik has history with Washington's GM.

So Jerrod Johnson, our QB coach, interviewed with Philly for (I believe) their OC position. If Slowik leaves and Johnson hasn't signed with someone else, quite possible he'd end up moving up to OC, was what the radio guys were saying. Had him on for an interview but I only caught the end of it and were talking about Slowik mainly, and how Frank Ross cuts people's hair. Have to say just listening to him he sounded good, sounded like someone that people would respond to well and follow.

The Houston Texans have finalists for Offensive and Defensive Rookie of the Year. QB C.J. Stroud and edge rusher Will Anderson Jr., selected back-to-back with the second and third picks in the NFL draft, are aiming to make it two straight years the winners are from the same team. New York Jets wide receiver Garrett Wilson and cornerback Sauce Gardner won the awards in 2022.

Houston's DeMeco Ryans, Detroit's Dan Campbell, San Francisco's Kyle Shanahan and Baltimore's John Harbaugh are finalists for Coach of the Year along with Stefanski.

Falcons went with Raheem Morris, so there is another one dodged regarding Slowik. But Washington still left, also Seattle.

Pro Football Writers Association named CJ Stroud the Offensive Rookie of the Year and also their Rookie of the Year.

Will Anderson Jr was named their Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Demeco Ryans was named PFWA's Coach of the Year.

Let's hope the AP does the same!

Article on Tank Dell.

Stayed around the team during the rehab. Got a lot of support from the team as well. Walking around now, expects to be cleared for football activity very soon.

Great news. Already looking forward to Season 2 of CJ, Nico and Dell. Barring any serious injuries, I think we'll soon have our own version of Manning, Harrison and Wayne 🤞

Here are Houston's draft picks in the 2024 draft, and where they were acquired if not ours. Picks in each of the first 3 rounds, two 4ths and three 7ths. Sending our 1st to Arizona instead of using Cleveland's netted us 4 extra spots as they are pick 23 and we would be pick 27.

1.23 (23).........(Cleveland for Deshaun Watson)
2.27 (59)
3.22 (86)........(Philly for 2023 4.5 (105) pick)
4.23 (123)......(Cleveland for Deshaun Watson)
4.27 (127)
7.18 (235)......(New Orleans for RB Mark Ingram)
7.27 (244)
7.29 (246).....(Packers via KC for CB Lonnie Johnson)

Exact numbers there could be off based on # of compensatory picks but tried to get them right.

Blurb about a former Texan. Charles Omenihu tore his ACL and will miss the Super Bowl. Poor guy.

Texans OC Bobby Slowik, QBs coach Jerrod Johnson staying in Houston after taking interviews
The Texans offensive coordinator has agreed to stay in Houston for the 2024 season, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Tuesday, per sources informed of the situation.
In other Texans news, quarterbacks coach Jerrod Johnson informed teams interested in hiring him as an offensive coordinator that he plans to return to Houston for the 2024 season, Rapoport added. Johnson conducted OC interviews with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and New Orleans Saints.

Holy crap, just found out Bobby Slowik went to the same college I did. Which isn't unusual for you people who went to big schools, but for us Michigan Tech grads that isn't nearly as common.

Holy crap, just found out Bobby Slowik went to the same college I did. Which isn't unusual for you people who went to big schools, but for us Michigan Tech grads that isn't nearly as common.

Tony Esposito.
Yep, we used to have the Division 1 all time winningest hockey coach. They were national champs back in those days.

Also we had an O-lineman on the Vikings, Joe Berger, until he retired a half dozen years ago.

Tony Esposito.
Yep, we used to have the Division 1 all time winningest hockey coach. They were national champs back in those days.

Also we had an O-lineman on the Vikings, Joe Berger, until he retired a half dozen years ago.
He was enjoyable to watch at MTU... Berger was a beast and a very down to earth guy.... Da UP is a beautiful place!!! I thought for sure Coach Dan @ MTU was gonna have slowik come back to MTU as his OC for next year!!!!

Assuming Garoppolo gets cut by the Raiders, and he's not able to land anything other than a back up deal, do you think the Texans should be interested in him as a backup? He'd have a leg up with the system being derived from San Fran's, and he played reasonably well there, just couldn't stay healthy.

Incidentally Keenum has another year and he'd be a $1.5m dead money hit and $1.9m savings. But Davis Mills would only be a $290k dead money hit but a $3m savings.

I'd prefer Garoppolo as a backup to Stroud over those two. Long as he could be had for backup money which is the first big question, and if the Raiders release him which is the second (but more likely).

Local Houston sports media note. John McClain got laid off by Sports Radio 610. His last appearance will be at 4pm tomorrow with Clint Stoerner and Ron Hughley.

Never pegged you as a Youper.

I'm a troll, but my brother went to college there which first made me aware of Tech. And I ended up following thanks to a good scholarship offer.

(Edit for those following along at home: A Yooper is someone from the UP, Michigan's Upper Peninsula. And Yoopers call those from the Lower Peninsula 'trolls' because they live below the (Mackinac) Bridge.)

Last edited:
Local Houston sports media note. John McClain got laid off by Sports Radio 610. His last appearance will be at 4pm tomorrow with Clint Stoerner and Ron Hughley.
Wow he is a fixture in Houston sports. He was always breaking Texans news and he covered the Oilers back in the day too. I saw him commenting on Earl Campbell in an NFL network feature.

Former Texan note. Former DL player and line coach Anthony Weaver got hired as the Dolphins DC. He's been a line coach with a number of teams including Houston, most recently Baltimore. His first time as a coordinator.

Years back in his playing days, I tailgated with his then-girlfriend, now-wife, and watched the game from his seats in the player's family section. Never got to meet him directly, but saw interviews with him where it doesn't surprise me at all that he's made his way up the coaching tree. Seemed like the kind of guy who people stop and listen to, and who can motivate others. Good for him.

Cross your fingers for Andre Johnson. Find out tomorrow if he makes it into the Hall of Fame. At receiver, he's up against Holt and Reggie Wayne who are also finalists.

Cross your fingers for Andre Johnson. Find out tomorrow if he makes it into the Hall of Fame. At receiver, he's up against Holt and Reggie Wayne who are also finalists

I always felt bad for AJ80 and the carousel of shoddy QBs he had throwing to him - Rosenfels, Delhomme, Schaub, Leinart, Fitzpatrick, etc). YIKES. Despite all of that he still put up great numbers and was extremely loyal to the franchise almost to a fault. Only imagine what could have been if he had Manning or Warner throwing the ball.

Andre Johnson, NFL Hall of Famer!!!!
So happy for Dre. Schaub was solid for a few years, but watching Dre 10 yards behind the defense on those play-action passes Kubiak designed always made me wonder what he'd have been like with a guy like Elway in the same offense. Seemed like he always had to slow down or stop to wait for Schaub's deep ball.

Andre Johnson, NFL Hall of Famer!!!!
So happy for Dre. Schaub was solid for a few years, but watching Dre 10 yards behind the defense on those play-action passes Kubiak designed always made me wonder what he'd have been like with a guy like Elway in the same offense. Seemed like he always had to slow down or stop to wait for Schaub's deep ball.
"And Schaub throws it really deep... 25 yards downfield!"

Demeco was robbed. Stefanski won coach of the year.
Absolutely robbed. We all know who won that award. It’s ok, the future is very bright and he’ll remind the league again next year.

Ouch

Kevin Stefanski and DeMeco Ryans each received 165 points in voting for AP NFL Coach of the Year, but Stefanski won with 21 first-place votes to Ryans’ 20.

No ****? A good friend of mine went to Michigan Tech. He's a legend in his profession (geotechnical engineering). I think he may be a bit older than you are, so I doubt you were there at the same time. His name's Jeff Goodwin.

Users who are viewing this thread