What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Homemade French Fries (1 Viewer)

Just curious about the reasoning behind some of the instructions.

Why peanut oil?

Why pre-cook and then cook?
Peanut oil has a high smoking point, so you can burn it hotter without it degrading*

Pre-cooking allows a soft, moist inside and a nice crunchy skin from the final cook. It really makes a huge difference you will immediately notice. At the lower temp you are cooking the potato, but it does not brown and looks unappetizing. Later at high heat, you get the browning and desirable crunchiness.

* I prefer duck fat, lard or tallow, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Winner... Just used a small sprinkle of Lawry's and the family annihilated em with burgers...

Pre-cook like you said, let them sit in the freezer for 20 mins, then final cook... Amazing!

1) You can't give exact cook times without more exact dimensions of the fry thickness.  Think steak fry vs shoestring fry.

2) Any rube knows the presoak and double fry. We didn't reinvent the wheel here.

Meh. 

Iced salt water is the key.
This (cool water works fine). Soak them for an hour, strain, and then add fries slowly, and constantly mix with a fork. That's all I ever do and people rave about my fries.

ETA - I only use Crisco shortening.

Just bought a propane fryer and making these with my famous cheeseburgers today. ??
Sweet! I am doing these today for about 35 people. Gonna be frying all afternoon.

Just be careful in that first phase to keep your oil at 260 degrees. If you aren't paying attention to the propane that oil can get to 450 degrees really quick and it takes forever for hot oil to cool down enough.

Have fun - report back. Enjoy fry nirvana.  :banned:

ChiefD said:
Sweet! I am doing these today for about 35 people. Gonna be frying all afternoon.

Just be careful in that first phase to keep your oil at 260 degrees. If you aren't paying attention to the propane that oil can get to 450 degrees really quick and it takes forever for hot oil to cool down enough.

If you want to cool it down fast, just throw some ice in there.

DO NOT DO THIS, WATER IN HOT OIL WILL BOIL OVER AND HURT YOU.

Peanut oil has a high smoking point, so you can burn it hotter without it degrading*

Pre-cooking allows a soft, moist inside and a nice crunchy skin from the final cook. It really makes a huge difference you will immediately notice. At the lower temp you are cooking the potato, but it does not brown and looks unappetizing. Later at high heat, you get the browning and desirable crunchiness.

* I prefer duck fat, lard or tallow, but that's a whole 'nother discussion.
Homemade french fries cooked in duck fat is crack on a plateHomemade french fries cooked in duck fat is crack on a plate

I used to work at a place that made homemade french fries and then tossed them with a touch of sea salt and a touch of white truffle oil 

ChiefD said:

If I get it to 260 and turn the flame down low, should it stay around the right temp? I'm using a shallow pot with maybe a gallon of oil.

Hey man, the French were there for us through some lean times. Plus, good wine, cheese and BJ's. I say we can safely give a shout out to the French on a day like this.
Pommes Frites at Paul Bert are double fried in duck fat I believe.  Double fry gets them real crispy.  gb the French.

If I get it to 260 and turn the flame down low, should it stay around the right temp? I'm using a shallow pot with maybe a gallon of oil.
I usually use a low flame to bring it up slowly and then leave the flame as is. If anything, I may actually turn it up a tick once the first drop goes since the oil will lose some temp at first.

And I use the same type of pot.

I usually use a low flame to bring it up slowly and then leave the flame as is. If anything, I may actually turn it up a tick once the first drop goes since the oil will lose some temp at first.

And I use the same type of pot.
Holy crap, I assumed you'd be using the big turkey pot for that quantity. Throw some pics of those fries up on imgur tonight and I'll do the same. happy 4th gb :banned:  

I enjoy joking around but this isn't funny. You're a #### for even jokingly saying this.  DO NOT DO THIS!  It's very dangerous and will likely get you burned. 
:lol: I edited it. The average FBG has an IQ high enough to realize this was a joke.

You're right, though. I am kind of a ####.

big fry chiefd knows hvac and he knows fries that my friends is what you call a renasance man right there take that to the bank bromigos 

As a Belgian (where the "french" fry was invented), I know a thing or two about the delicacy and intricacy involved in correctly frying starchy vegetables, and the OP is spot on and has a certified Stamp of Approval from a Belgian™.  

Only thing left out is the huge dollop of homemade mayonnaise like you get from roadside Friktots in Belgium.  Only way to properly eat them.
I also enjoy my frites with Andalouse sauce for a little kick...

hey chiefd have you ever thought about getting some real hotties from down the block to make your homemade fries than you can call them ho made homemade fries and it would blow peoples socks right off and across the room take that to the bank bromigo 

Users who are viewing this thread