What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Home Theater : Anyone done a 4-panel Matrix TV? (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
Four TV “Matrix” Setup : Need opinions & guidance please!

Hey all!

Looking at building a 4 television “matrix” television wall in the living room of our new home.

- Anyone done one? Glad? Regret? Lessons learned?

- ISO suggestions on how to send live TV feeds to the Matrix controller. I was thinking four FireTV 4K Sticks streaming from YouTubeTV ($19.99 for unlimited feeds @ home).

- Would love guidance on best remote setups to control the system.

Current Gear List (nothing purchased yet).

TVs :
- Four TCL Class W6 TV’s.
Not sure on 55” or 65” yet. Need to measure. Tiny bezel and VESA mount compatible. May need to mount top 2 inverted?

Matrix Controller (choosing):
- Monoprice Blackbird 4K 4x4
- Avico 4x4 4K Matrix Switch

Thoughts? Suggestions? I’m new to this.

Mounts:
These are cheap = https://a.co/d/6Qn0jPZ) but anyone run them? Other suggestions here?

Video Inputs / Feeds:
- Am I insane for thinking Amazon FireTV 4K Sticks sending YouTube TV? Better options? Good ways to run the sticks / remotes?

Anything else I’m probably not thinking of?

Will likely use local installers to hang the TVs and run cable.

Thank you In Advance!

Four TV “Matrix” Setup : Need opinions & guidance please!

Hey all!

Looking at building a 4 television “matrix” television wall in the living room of our new home.

- Anyone done one? Glad? Regret? Lessons learned?

- ISO suggestions on how to send live TV feeds to the Matrix controller. I was thinking four FireTV 4K Sticks streaming from YouTubeTV ($19.99 for unlimited feeds @ home).

- Would love guidance on best remote setups to control the system.

Current Gear List (nothing purchased yet).

TVs :
- Four TCL Class W6 TV’s.
Not sure on 55” or 65” yet. Need to measure. Tiny bezel and VESA mount compatible. May need to mount top 2 inverted?

Matrix Controller (choosing):
- Monoprice Blackbird 4K 4x4
- Avico 4x4 4K Matrix Switch

Thoughts? Suggestions? I’m new to this.

Mounts:
These are cheap = https://a.co/d/6Qn0jPZ) but anyone run them? Other suggestions here?

Video Inputs / Feeds:
- Am I insane for thinking Amazon FireTV 4K Sticks sending YouTube TV? Better options? Good ways to run the sticks / remotes?

Anything else I’m probably not thinking of?

Will likely use local installers to hang the TVs and run cable.

Thank you In Advance!
No, sadly, but as you go through this if no one has any insight here I'd love to hear how it went. I'd love you do this on a smaller scale in my "game room" so "BLACK DOT"

I assume (given the site we’re on) you’ll be doing this for sports?

I don’t have a 4x matrix, but I do have a 3 tv setup. Large 65” in the middle, flanked by smaller TVs on the sides that can be easily moved (really only used during football season). More than that and you don’t really have a “main” screen for watching a movie.

On football Sundays I have redzone on main tv, and the fox and cbs local feeds on the others.

Do you want to be able to have all four TVs show one giant picture?
Yessir!

Either all 4 combine to show one very large image (via the matrix controller), or can run 4 different feeds.
We just bought a lot and plan to build on it in about 4-5 years upon retirement. One if the things I am planning is a sports room with this exact type set up.

Have you thought about one large screen that can divide into 4 through the controller instead of 4 different monitors?

I am not sure if that is possible but it would eliminate the bezel gaps when showing one game.

Interested in what people have to say.

Yessir!

Either all 4 combine to show one very large image (via the matrix controller), or can run 4 different feeds.
We just bought a lot and plan to build on it in about 4-5 years upon retirement. One if the things I am planning is a sports room with this exact type set up.

Have you thought about one large screen that can divide into 4 through the controller instead of 4 different monitors?

I am not sure if that is possible but it would eliminate the bezel gaps when showing one game.

The one large screen idea is in okay but with 85” being the largest practical format, it’s a bit small for the space I have in mind and the ceilings aren’t conducive to projector setups (plus I’ve never seen a projector image that was compatible or QLED/OLED).

I THINK four 55s will work but now I’m wondering if the matrix controllers I linked above will do what I want.

1) Show 4 different feeds
2) Merge all into 1 giant feed.

A response above has me questioning if these will do that. The Reddit post linked above by @massraider makes it seem much more complicated than that.

Yessir!

The one large screen idea is in okay but with 85” being the largest practical format, it’s a bit small for the space I have in mind and the ceilings aren’t conducive to projector setups (plus I’ve never seen a projector image that was compatible or QLED/OLED).

I THINK four 55s will work but now I’m wondering if the matrix controllers I linked above will do what I want.

A response above has me questioning if these will do that. The Reddit post linked above by @massraider makes it seem much more complicated than that.
What about one of the newer ultra-short throw laser projectors? You can get those in a 120".

Yessir!

What about one of the newer ultra-short throw laser projectors? You can get those in a 120".
The room has a lot of natural light in it. I’m nervous any projector is going to be insufficient. Am I misguided there?

Yessir!

The room has a lot of natural light in it. I’m nervous any projector is going to be insufficient. Am I misguided there?
Have to see if you can find one to look at in person, but the laser projectors are much better in light these days.

The one large screen idea is in okay but with 85” being the largest practical format, it’s a bit small for the space
Is 85" the biggest practical due to quality of picture? I am thinking I am going to want 100" (4-50" individual screens)

I am looking to the exact same thing as you have described (ability to show 4 different games or 1 game using all 4 screens) so I will be following this intently.

After peeling back the layers and not feeling 100% comfortable with what I was seeing on the matrix front I said **** it… single screen.

But having seen my pop’s 85” set this past week, I just didn’t think it would be what I was looking for. Then I stumbled into the world of 100” LEDs and frankly I was surprised with what was out there at “reasonable” price points.

Also grabbed these staples:

$4800 all in with mount and mounting included. Will pair with an existing Klipsch 10” Sub.

Going to explore multiscreen options now…

Then I stumbled into the world of 100” LEDs and frankly I was surprised with what was out there at “reasonable” price points.
As far as formatting to get the four separate feeds to quarter up the screen for four games, what do you need for that aspect? Looking at the specs on the TV it didn't really address that (or maybe it did but I am not smart enough to understand it).

Somewhat related, I'm a little disappointed the Samsung (~2022) brains aren't better for picture in picture. They'll do TV and mirror from your tablet, but, not from two different HDMI ports?

How will you split a TV into 4 pictures?
I'd be interested if any TVs on the market do this natively. Like I mentioned above the relatively new Samsung tvs I've got don't even do picture in picture as well as I'd like. Maybe the newest top of the line according to the googles?

But one way for sure to do it is to just use a HTPC. Then your TV just becomes a giant monitor and in Windows 10/11 you can just drag 4 different windows to the four corners, or set it up in display settings that way.

I'd be interested if any TVs on the market do this natively. Like I mentioned above the relatively new Samsung tvs I've got don't even do picture in picture as well as I'd like. Maybe the newest top of the line according to the googles?

But one way for sure to do it is to just use a HTPC. Then your TV just becomes a giant monitor and in Windows 10/11 you can just drag 4 different windows to the four corners, or set it up in display settings that way.
My projector does 2 50s or like a 60/40. Using 2 hdmi

My projector does 2 50s or like a 60/40. Using 2 hdmi
From some more googling:

4 TVs: They use programable HDMI switches that basically have one cable running to the TV for four "matrix" pictures, a game on each tv. And a second cable for one game as a "picture wall".

1TV: There are different software's to divide the TV up and distribute different video feeds to different quadrants. Some sell a controller devise that converts different feeds and makes them available to the network. NetPlay seems interesting because it used Android devices (firestick) to receive the feeds. But I still think you ought to be able to do this all on a HTPC.

I'd go the 1TV route for sure though unless the wall is just too big for the largest TVs out there.

Search for multiveiwer switch on Amazon.

Of course then I'd need a digital TV converter box to covert coax over the air channels to hdmi first.

Pretty simple, but we really like the Samsung TV setup so it's a shame this functionality doest just come native with screens larger than 60"

Got to buy top of the line i guess.

Only certain 2023 Samsung TVs support the Multi View feature. The total number of screens displayed simultaneously will also depend on the model. You can check the list below for details:
  • QN900C/QN800C: up to 4 screens (4K at 60 fps - frames per second)

Correct. Don't get a projector if picture quality is a concern and you'll be watching during the day with limited light control.

ETA - When I say picture quality is a concern, I'm talking about noticing black levels and when dark scenes look washed out. If that's something you don't ever notice and are drawn to bright pictures, then perhaps a short throw projector is an option.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread