What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HOF Induction Weekend in Cooperstown (1 Viewer)

Twilight

Footballguy
As some know, I've took the summer off for a huge trip around the country. Well, I finally left my brothers for the slow trip back home. One of the stops I had planned was Cooperstown. Once I found out it was this weekend, I adjusted my trip order to go now. Anybody else going to be there?

I'll think about a trip when Blyleven, Morris, and Olivia are inducted in 2010.

Have fun.

This is goal of mine (to watch an induction), but it has to be of a home town hero.

Do you already have lodging? That's the toughest part about the weekend. Not to mention, traffic is a ##### because the town is a small as Mayberry and it has 1 stop light.

Make sure you take your hacks at the batting cages next to Doubleday Field. It is the only place I've been that has a knuckleball machine and the damn thing hit me with the first pitch!

Fiance's family is heading up to watch Cal get in. They are staying in a tent at a campsite(not with Steve) a few miles outside of town. They brought bikes to take into town to avoid the traffic. Have a good time.

Do you already have lodging? That's the toughest part about the weekend. Not to mention, traffic is a ##### because the town is a small as Mayberry and it has 1 stop light.Make sure you take your hacks at the batting cages next to Doubleday Field. It is the only place I've been that has a knuckleball machine and the damn thing hit me with the first pitch!
I've got a campground reservation about 20 miles outside of town, which isn't bad for reserving it yesterday. :goodposting:

Just pulled into my latest motel after the day in Cooperstown.

What a swarm of people. I arrived just before 7 am and found one of the few streets that allowed parking, saving me a boatload of money (parking was anywhere from $25 to $50!). Even got a promise from a nice retired guy across the street to watch my car for me.

Neat little town that I want to return someday when there aren't tens of thousands of people there. Slowly made my way through the HOF (They set attendance records yesterday). Then I had a 15 minute wait to get into the Museom GIFTSHOP. Yep, a line that stretched through most of the Bust hall just to get into the Giftshop.

Regardless, it was still very cool. It has almost a church feel of respect for the game. But unlike a church, I would have felt wrong NOT having a baseball cap on (Even if I was the only A's fan I saw)

I didn't set up Friday(yes, people were setting up chairs on Friday), so it was literally impossible to see the stage for the Induction Ceremony. You had to watch by Big Screen.

Crowd was probably 60% Baltimore, 30% Padre, with a smattering of the rest thrown in. Very vocal not only for Cal, but for Eddie Murray and the other Orioles introduced. Padre's fans were the same way, but there were a lot less former Padres to cheer.

Half the locals tried to cash in as well. There were numerous lemonade, snack, soda, and water stands in front of most of the houses on the route between the Hall and the induction field. The more successful ones put the little kids front in center.

Luckily, there were threats of thunderstorms, so they did the big Inductions first. The Sportswriter/Announcer awards were probably good speeches, but not what everyone was there to see, so there was a MASS exodus after Cal finished. My parking spot on the North side of town allowed me to avoid most of the traffic as well :shrug:

Pics will be posted in a couple of days

Users who are viewing this thread