What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hitler analogies suck. (1 Viewer)

Vlad the Impaler comes to mind. So does Mao-Tse-Dung, Pol Pot, Attila the Hun, Genghis Khan, Tamerlane, most Roman Emperors, Peter the Great, Lenin, Stalin, etc. We have had several nasty characters in the history of the world.

I agree the analogy is overdone to the point of being nauseous though.

Vlad the Impaler comes to mind. So does Mao-Tse-Dung, Pol Pot, Attila the Hun, Genghis Khan, Tamerlane, most Roman Emperors, Peter the Great, Lenin, Stalin, etc. We have had several nasty characters in the history of the world.I agree the analogy is overdone to the point of being nauseous though.
Good list of bad/evil people. I'll add Idi Amin & Moses to that list.

Vlad the Impaler comes to mind. So does Mao-Tse-Dung, Pol Pot, Attila the Hun, Genghis Khan, Tamerlane, most Roman Emperors, Peter the Great, Lenin, Stalin, etc. We have had several nasty characters in the history of the world.I agree the analogy is overdone to the point of being nauseous though.
Moses? Why is that?

Moses? Why is that?
There are several stories in the Old Testament about Moses being a tyrant, one of the worst:They attacked Midian just as the LORD had commanded Moses, and they killed all the men. All five of the Midianite kings – Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur, and Reba – died in the battle. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. Then the Israelite army captured the Midianite women and children and seized their cattle and flocks and all their wealth as plunder. They burned all the towns and villages where the Midianites had lived. After they had gathered the plunder and captives, both people and animals, they brought them all to Moses and Eleazar the priest, and to the whole community of Israel, which was camped on the plains of Moab beside the Jordan River, across from Jericho. Moses, Eleazar the priest, and all the leaders of the people went to meet them outside the camp. But Moses was furious with all the military commanders who had returned from the battle. "Why have you let all the women live?" he demanded. "These are the very ones who followed Balaam's advice and caused the people of Israel to rebel against the LORD at Mount Peor. They are the ones who caused the plague to strike the LORD's people. Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves.Numbers 31:7-18 NLT

Last edited by a moderator:
What did Edwin Moses ever do to you, Hitler?

Here's another:

(Moses) stood at the entrance to the camp and shouted, "All of you who are on the LORD's side, come over here and join me." And all the Levites came. He told them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: Strap on your swords! Go back and forth from one end of the camp to the other, killing even your brothers, friends, and neighbors." The Levites obeyed Moses, and about three thousand people died that day. Then Moses told the Levites, "Today you have been ordained for the service of the LORD, for you obeyed him even though it meant killing your own sons and brothers. Because of this, he will now give you a great blessing." (Exodus 32:26-29 NLT)

Sounds like he's either insane or just a madman (or both), using the name of God to control/use people in such an evil way.

Here's another:

(Moses) stood at the entrance to the camp and shouted, "All of you who are on the LORD's side, come over here and join me." And all the Levites came. He told them, "This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: Strap on your swords! Go back and forth from one end of the camp to the other, killing even your brothers, friends, and neighbors." The Levites obeyed Moses, and about three thousand people died that day. Then Moses told the Levites, "Today you have been ordained for the service of the LORD, for you obeyed him even though it meant killing your own sons and brothers. Because of this, he will now give you a great blessing." (Exodus 32:26-29 NLT)

Sounds like he's either insane or just a madman (or both), using the name of God to control/use people in such an evil way.
Answer: 'Moses was high on hallucinogenic drug when he received Ten Commandments,' claims top academic

:goodposting: Nuttin' more to say.

Thread titles sounds exactly like something Hitler would have said.

Regarding all the mass murderers mentioned in this thread: I could make a very good argument that none of them are analogous to Hitler, because Hitler is unique even among mass murderers, for several historical reasons. But that wasn't my point really; I am referring specifically to American politics and culture and the fact that we have no Hitlers here. It would be just as stupid to compare Bush to Polpot, or Obama to Ivan the Terrible. These sort of comparisons are pretty disgusting, IMO.

With regard to Hitler, historically this comparison has been made by liberals. There is not one Republican president or prominent conservative politician in this country in the last several decades who hasn't been compared to Hitler on a continual basis by progressives. And conservatism in general is compared to fascism. As recently as 2008, I would have stated that this was primarily a liberal phenomenon.

But in the past two years, ever since Obama took office, conservatives have grabbed this revolting analogy and made it their own. Now suddenly it is the Democrats who are the new Hitlers. Just terrible.

Regarding all the mass murderers mentioned in this thread: I could make a very good argument that none of them are analogous to Hitler, because Hitler is unique even among mass murderers, for several historical reasons. But that wasn't my point really; I am referring specifically to American politics and culture and the fact that we have no Hitlers here. It would be just as stupid to compare Bush to Polpot, or Obama to Ivan the Terrible. These sort of comparisons are pretty disgusting, IMO.

With regard to Hitler, historically this comparison has been made by liberals. There is not one Republican president or prominent conservative politician in this country in the last several decades who hasn't been compared to Hitler on a continual basis by progressives. And conservatism in general is compared to fascism. As recently as 2008, I would have stated that this was primarily a liberal phenomenon.

But in the past two years, ever since Obama took office, conservatives have grabbed this revolting analogy and made it their own. Now suddenly it is the Democrats who are the new Hitlers. Just terrible.
yeah, cut it out. we're Stalin.

Regarding all the mass murderers mentioned in this thread: I could make a very good argument that none of them are analogous to Hitler, because Hitler is unique even among mass murderers, for several historical reasons. But that wasn't my point really; I am referring specifically to American politics and culture and the fact that we have no Hitlers here. It would be just as stupid to compare Bush to Polpot, or Obama to Ivan the Terrible. These sort of comparisons are pretty disgusting, IMO.With regard to Hitler, historically this comparison has been made by liberals. There is not one Republican president or prominent conservative politician in this country in the last several decades who hasn't been compared to Hitler on a continual basis by progressives. And conservatism in general is compared to fascism. As recently as 2008, I would have stated that this was primarily a liberal phenomenon. But in the past two years, ever since Obama took office, conservatives have grabbed this revolting analogy and made it their own. Now suddenly it is the Democrats who are the new Hitlers. Just terrible.
translation...blah, blah, blah!No one cares what you think...you're a whacked dude.

Regarding all the mass murderers mentioned in this thread: I could make a very good argument that none of them are analogous to Hitler, because Hitler is unique even among mass murderers, for several historical reasons. But that wasn't my point really; I am referring specifically to American politics and culture and the fact that we have no Hitlers here. It would be just as stupid to compare Bush to Polpot, or Obama to Ivan the Terrible. These sort of comparisons are pretty disgusting, IMO.With regard to Hitler, historically this comparison has been made by liberals. There is not one Republican president or prominent conservative politician in this country in the last several decades who hasn't been compared to Hitler on a continual basis by progressives. And conservatism in general is compared to fascism. As recently as 2008, I would have stated that this was primarily a liberal phenomenon. But in the past two years, ever since Obama took office, conservatives have grabbed this revolting analogy and made it their own. Now suddenly it is the Democrats who are the new Hitlers. Just terrible.
translation...blah, blah, blah!No one cares what you think...you're a whacked dude.
Well, OK you're right. :bs:

Honestly, one of the biggest problems I have with it is that it seems to minimize a lot of the other real atrocities that have occurred in two different ways:

1) By comparing lots of non-atrocities to Hitler/Holocaust, it trivializes real atrocities, including that of the Holocaust. Any person that compares a politician that they don't like to Hitler or a policy they don't like to the Third Reich is essentially mocking the true horror of the Holocaust

2) Elevating the Holocaust over every other evil does a disservice to those evils as well. This principally happens/happened with the horrible slaughters of tens of millions of people by the communists in Russia, China, Cambodia, North Korea, etc. during the 20th century. Up to 120 MILLION people lost their lives due to outright murders, conditions in prison camps and starvation in communist countries. The educated and elite were principal targets and then the poor suffered when there was no food. These evils and many like them seem to be acknowledged with a slight nod followed by "but Hitler, now THERE was a terrible guy!"

Well, OK you're right. :bs:
smart of you to give in, timmy. when an opponent is capable of as insightful & encompassing a criticism as "whacked dude", it's best to recognize that one is rhetorically dominated.

Tim has adopted quite readily to calling liberals progressives. To me, concentrating more power in the hands of the ruling elite is anything but.

Why can't Shaka Zulu get some love in these threads. I know his empire was sketchier, not as large nor as long lasting as some of the conquerers mentioned, but he had game. Hell Ivan the Terrible got a mention. If he had a worse press secretary and was only called Ivan the Petulent would he have gotten a mention. I petition to include Shaka in all future analogies about Hitler, Pol Pot, and Stalin. WE don't have to go as far down as Baby Doc, but certainly Shaka should get some love. Oh... and Saddam and Idi Amin.

Honestly, one of the biggest problems I have with it is that it seems to minimize a lot of the other real atrocities that have occurred in two different ways:1) By comparing lots of non-atrocities to Hitler/Holocaust, it trivializes real atrocities, including that of the Holocaust. Any person that compares a politician that they don't like to Hitler or a policy they don't like to the Third Reich is essentially mocking the true horror of the Holocaust2) Elevating the Holocaust over every other evil does a disservice to those evils as well. This principally happens/happened with the horrible slaughters of tens of millions of people by the communists in Russia, China, Cambodia, North Korea, etc. during the 20th century. Up to 120 MILLION people lost their lives due to outright murders, conditions in prison camps and starvation in communist countries. The educated and elite were principal targets and then the poor suffered when there was no food. These evils and many like them seem to be acknowledged with a slight nod followed by "but Hitler, now THERE was a terrible guy!"
Don't forget the atrocity that was the basis for the term genocide, Armenia, though the Turks might have a different view on that.

675,000 sheep, 72,000 cattle, 61,000 donkeys, and 32,000 young girls

I don't know whether to make muslim jokes or australian jokes, depending on that ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread