What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hiring guys -- a question (1 Viewer)

Dickie Dunn

Footballguy
I recently put in an application at a startup company that fits my skills and experience pretty well.

I just went back on the job site today and saw that the same company has posted another position -- exact same qualifications, requirements, etc. The only difference is the subject area of focus of the job.

Both jobs would be good matches for me, I believe.

My question is: Would it be overkill to submit a resume for the second job, knowing I applied for the other one not long ago? (That job still is posted too, FWIW.) Obviously the resume would be exactly the same ... how much would you change the cover letter? I have to assume both jobs go through the same hiring person (it's not listed on the site).

I don't want it to seem like I am just blanket-applying for every job that opens here (though I guess there is a sliver of truth to that), because I legitimately would be interested in the company and both positions and I think I could do equally well at either. It's just that one was posted first.

Thanks in advance!

As other's have said, at this point some personal contact would be best.  You can start by saying you applied for the other job and noticed this announcement is very similar and that you would have interest in either position.  It starts a dialogue and shows them you are paying attention.  Doing anything more than a blind resume submittal to "HR" can only help. 

Most of the time companies get tons of resumes submitted for a position and have to weed through all of them with nothing more than a quick look.  Things are easily lost.  Finding a way to personalize your submittal (sending direct to a hiring manager, talking with the HR manager for clarification, going into the office and submitting by hand to hopefully talk with someone, etc) are all far superior to just emailing a resume to a job posting. 

Good Luck.

Thanks for the replies, definitely appreciate it.

As I mentioned ... the original job listing still is posted, so I assume they haven't gotten to the interview portion yet (I applied within the last month). I just happened to notice the second position when I went back today to see if the original job still was posted (there was no application deadline listed on either one).

I do know someone who works at the new place, but not in a hiring position. I know he would vouch for my credentials as far as doing either job, but just wanted to clear that other part up as well.

:thumbup:

Thanks for the replies, definitely appreciate it.

As I mentioned ... the original job listing still is posted, so I assume they haven't gotten to the interview portion yet (I applied within the last month). I just happened to notice the second position when I went back today to see if the original job still was posted (there was no application deadline listed on either one).

I do know someone who works at the new place, but not in a hiring position. I know he would vouch for my credentials as far as doing either job, but just wanted to clear that other part up as well.

:thumbup:
It doesn't matter if he is in the hiring position.  He can find out who is in the hiring position.  If he has good standing in the company he is your in and you should give him your resume and ask him to get it to the right person.  This is a much better way of getting your foot into the interview door than just submitting a resume through standard channels. 

Gally said:
It doesn't matter if he is in the hiring position.  He can find out who is in the hiring position.  If he has good standing in the company he is your in and you should give him your resume and ask him to get it to the right person.  This is a much better way of getting your foot into the interview door than just submitting a resume through standard channels. 
This.

If you have an in, take it. I hire a lot of people, but I give HUGE preference to someone if one of our folks vouches for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread