What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Healthy eating on a budget (1 Viewer)

MC Gas Money

Footballguy
For several yeats ive learned to eat healthy as a 6 foot 200 pound man for under $200 per month. Thought it would be nice to have a thread where we can share our budgeting tips and tricks to keep those grocery bills low while getting adequate nutrition.

Just had a pretty good haul at the supermarket.

Hummus 10oz. $3.99

Celery bunch $1.99

2 pounds carrots. $0.79 per pound

The hummus and veggies will serve as a light lunch for 2-3 days. Would prefer to make my own hummus but dont have access to a kitchen yet. Considering purchasing a food processor for this purpose

42oz quick oats. $3.99

8oz pure maple syrup. $7.99

24oz raisins. $4.99

2 quart almond coconut milk unsweetened. $3.95

This will serve as a filling breakfast. The syrup is pricey but a tablespoonspoon in a bowl with some raisins and almond milk is enough for a little flavor so the syrup stretches for a while.. Sometimes ill put in a tablespoon of molasses instead if I cant get a good price on maple syrup. Nice filling breakfast that will keep you regular through the day.

Limes. 5 for $1.00.

Like to throw a few slices in my green tea

1 pint blueberries. $1.99

3 red mangos. $0.99 each

These will be good snacks or serve as dessert for 2-3 days

32 oz kefir yogurt drink

I like a few swigs with breakfast for some protein

1 gallon distilled water. $1.19

This is what I will drink every 2 days. I only use tap water for my tea

4 oz unsweetened 100% cacao baking chocolate

$2.19

Ill have an ounce every couple days for a nice boost of iron with no sugar intake because im susceptable to anemia

Total. $41.81. Not bad for at least a weeks worth of food. The canned foods I keep on hand are unsalted beets and large cans of sardines in tomato sauce. The beets make a nice snack ( be sure to drink the juice fot nutrients and to make your poo red, dont worry you dont havr internal bleeding. I thought that the first time). Ill usually have about 8oz of sardines for dinner most nights for some animal protein .

How do you stretch that food budget?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good thread, but I think your prices are low for most areas of the US. Good luck getting blueberries for 1.99/pint in most places.

And I think you need more protein in your diet. Chicken is relatively cheap....especially when purchased frozen and in bulk.

I would starve with that amount of food - 6' 190 lbs. Do you find yourself not being able to concentrate?

Sometimes goodwill/salvation army has juicers/emulsifiers for under $10. Even a good blender will work for making fruit/kale smoothies.

Good thread, but I think your prices are low for most areas of the US. Good luck getting blueberries for 1.99/pint in most places.

And I think you need more protein in your diet. Chicken is relatively cheap....especially when purchased frozen and in bulk.
They were on sale. Berries are usually $4 a pint soI rarely buy them. Im Iin NYC so our food prices are some of the highest in the nation so you have to keep an eye out for good deals. My typical fruit purchases are bananas, apples, kiwis and grapefruits. Ill probably spend another $10 on fresh fruit this weekI dont have access to a kitchen so I cant cook chicken. I get animal protein from the fish or ill buy some deli turkey when its on sale

Not sure where to ask this, but this seems like a good spot. What's the difference between using a regular old blender and say a Ninja? Anything?

I would starve with that amount of food - 6' 190 lbs. Do you find yourself not being able to concentrate?
No. I dont have much of an issue. I crave junk food a lot but you have to just ignore it and know its your brain craving extra food and not your body. I get enough protein from the sardines, beans and oats to keep me full, and I smoke a lot (roll my own so its dirt cheap) and that supresses the appetite

If the prices seem too low its because most of the stuff I buy is on sale. I take a walk through the market every 2-3 days to see what they have going on

Solid list.

FYI Kefir is not a good source of protein and is generally overloaded with sugar.

No. I dont have much of an issue. I crave junk food a lot but you have to just ignore it and know its your brain craving extra food and not your body. I get enough protein from the sardines, beans and oats to keep me full, and I smoke a lot (roll my own so its dirt cheap) and that supresses the appetite
Seems to fly in the face of the spirit of the thread, no? What kills you quicker? The lung cancer or diabetes II?

Oh. I forgot to mention the special snack to help keep you full all day. Popcorn. I have an air popper and it costs pennies to make a huge bowl to snack on. I like it plain

Seems to fly in the face of the spirit of the thread, no? What kills you quicker? The lung cancer or diabetes II?
I smoke organic tobacco and I feel that I eat an antioxidant rich diet that will offset the smoking. Natural tobacco instead of that chemical laced crap isnt nearly as bad for you. If I smoke a newport or marlboro I cant breathe but since switching to organic and eating well im in better health than I have been Iin years. My cardiovascular ability improved too.

You're wasting money buying gallons of water. Fill them yourself at a filter machine.
I buy dustilled because it doesnt have flouride. I plan to buy a distiller one day but they are outside my budget. I found plans online how to build your own stovetop distiller but I dont have access to a kitchen

Buying pre-made humus is like lighting your hand-rolled smokes with Benjamins. You dont really need a kitchen to make it either. Hell, you could mash it up in a bowl with a fork if you wanted.

Buying pre-made humus is like lighting your hand-rolled smokes with Benjamins. You dont really need a kitchen to make it either. Hell, you could mash it up in a bowl with a fork if you wanted.
You are right. Im going to start making it. Im going to look for a cheap little food processor or just get a potato masher and do it in a bowl.

You're wasting money buying gallons of water. Fill them yourself at a filter machine.
I buy dustilled because it doesnt have flouride
Who brainwashed you on this? Obviously not years and years of studies that confirm its advantage to keeping your enamel strong.
Ive been brushing for 5 years with only baking soda and my teeth are healthier and whiter than ever. I used to have a lot of dental issues.

Fluoride may be good for enamel but its a poisonous acid and shouldnt be ingested. Isnt that why you have your patients spit it out?

I dont want this thread to become a fluoride debate. I personally choose not to ingest it and im not trying to convince anyone else otjerwise

Who brainwashed you on this? Obviously not years and years of studies that confirm its advantage to keeping your enamel strong.
Ive been brushing for 5 years with only baking soda and my teeth are healthier and whiter than ever. I used to have a lot of dental issues.

Fluoride may be good for enamel but its a poisonous acid and shouldnt be ingested. Isnt that why you have your patients spit it out?

I dont want this thread to become a fluoride debate. I personally choose not to ingest it and im not trying to convince anyone else otjerwise
You don't want to ingest large quantities just like you wouldn't want to ingest large quantities of ibuprofen either. But in water it's 1 part per million.

if you want to be an anti-fluoride nut, that's fine... but at least buy a decent non-fluoride toothpaste like Tom's of Maine

You don't want to ingest large quantities just like you wouldn't want to ingest large quantities of ibuprofen either. But in water it's 1 part per million
You also wouldn't want to ingest large quantities of water.

Ive been brushing for 5 years with only baking soda and my teeth are healthier and whiter than ever. I used to have a lot of dental issues.Fluoride may be good for enamel but its a poisonous acid and shouldnt be ingested. Isnt that why you have your patients spit it out?

You don't want to ingest large quantities just like you wouldn't want to ingest large quantities of ibuprofen either. But in water it's 1 part per million.

if you want to be an anti-fluoride nut, that's fine... but at least buy a decent non-fluoride toothpaste like Tom's of Maine
Pure sodium bicarbonate has been working just fine for me. I see no reason why you have to come in here calling me nuts. This thread isnt about fluoride. I was just explaining why I buy distilled water

Eating healthy with $200/month shouldn't be that hard.

Sample day:

Breakfast - oatmeal with cranberries and milk (pretty much every day for me)

Lunch - a couple of tuna fish sandwiches with or without baby arugula

Dinner - some chicken thighs (like these way better than breasts - you can live with a little fat), jasmin rice and frozen kale (love this stuff)

Snack - apple

Snack - yogurt

Throw in whatever you want for snack, but those are some of my staple meals. I love jasmine. That stuff is insanely easy to cook in 15 minutes. Just buy it in bulk from costco.

That should cost about 7 bucks for the day.

I smoke organic tobacco and I feel that I eat an antioxidant rich diet that will offset the smoking. Natural tobacco instead of that chemical laced crap isnt nearly as bad for you. If I smoke a newport or marlboro I cant breathe but since switching to organic and eating well im in better health than I have been Iin years. My cardiovascular ability improved too.
I'd be interested to see how this works out for you down the road, like 20-30 years. Not knocking on ya just curious. I smoked 2 packs a day for about 15 years before I finally gave it up. Hoping I've added a few years to the tail end.

Sample day:

Dinner - some chicken thighs (like these way better than breasts - you can live with a little fat), jasmin rice and frozen kale (love this stuff)

Snack - apple

Snack - yogurt

Throw in whatever you want for snack, but those are some of my staple meals. I love jasmine. That stuff is insanely easy to cook in 15 minutes. Just buy it in bulk from costco.

I was to convey that it shouldnt be hard, but many people do find it hard because they cant get over the feeling that they have to stuff themselves.

Sample day:

Snack - apple

Snack - yogurt

I was to convey that it shouldnt be hard, but many people do find it hard because they cant get over the feeling that they have to stuff themselves.
When it comes to personal finance and healthy eating, I have little in common with the general public. Eating healthy kind of sucks, but if you want to look and feel good, you find a routine that works for you and you stick with it. If the goal is to eat healthy for $200/month, its financially not hard to do. Other than the Kale, I buy everything from costco.

Sample day:

Snack - apple

Snack - yogurt

When it comes to personal finance and healthy eating, I have little in common with the general public. Eating healthy kind of sucks, but if you want to look and feel good, you find a routine that works for you and you stick with it. If the goal is to eat healthy for $200/month, its financially not hard to do. Other than the Kale, I buy everything from costco.
It was hard at first but now if I eat anything processed or unhealthy I get ill. This weekend I ate a burger at a BBQ and I had to run inside to throw up. The smell or even sight of fried food makes me nautious. If you stick with it long enough ypur whole system changes and you start craving vegetables instead of bacon or cheetos.

On that thought, why dont they make bacon cheddar cheetos?

For several yeats ive learned to eat healthy as a 6 foot 200 pound man for under $200 per month. Thought it would be nice to have a thread where we can share our budgeting tips and tricks to keep those grocery bills low while getting adequate nutrition.

Hummus 10oz. $3.99

Celery bunch $1.99

The hummus and veggies will serve as a light lunch for 2-3 days. Would prefer to make my own hummus but dont have access to a kitchen yet. Considering purchasing a food processor for this purpose

42oz quick oats. $3.99

24oz raisins. $4.99

This will serve as a filling breakfast. The syrup is pricey but a tablespoonspoon in a bowl with some raisins and almond milk is enough for a little flavor so the syrup stretches for a while.. Sometimes ill put in a tablespoon of molasses instead if I cant get a good price on maple syrup. Nice filling breakfast that will keep you regular through the day.

Limes. 5 for $1.00.

3 red mangos. $0.99 each

32 oz kefir yogurt drink

$2.19

Ill have an ounce every couple days for a nice boost of iron with no sugar intake because im susceptable to anemia

Total. $41.81. Not bad for at least a weeks worth of food. The canned foods I keep on hand are unsalted beets and large cans of sardines in tomato sauce. The beets make a nice snack ( be sure to drink the juice fot nutrients and to make your poo red, dont worry you dont havr internal bleeding. I thought that the first time). Ill usually have about 8oz of sardines for dinner most nights for some animal protein .

Make your own kefir. The stuff you're buying is loaded with sugar and expensive.

If you have an aldi by you shop there. I believe trader joes and them are affiliated and they share the same produce which is good and inexpensive. Easily I shave 40% off of food bill shopping there. Oh the kefir you buy, they have it for half the cost of the normal grocery store price.

Hummus 10oz. $3.99

Celery bunch $1.99

42oz quick oats. $3.99

24oz raisins. $4.99

Limes. 5 for $1.00.

3 red mangos. $0.99 each

32 oz kefir yogurt drink

$2.19

Make your own kefir. The stuff you're buying is loaded with sugar and expensive.If you have an aldi by you shop there. I believe trader joes and them are affiliated and they share the same produce which is good and inexpensive. Easily I shave 40% off of food bill shopping there. Oh the kefir you buy, they have it for half the cost of the normal grocery store price.
I dont believe we have aldi or trader joes in the bronx.

How do I make kefir?

Been on weight watchers with my wife for a few weeks and have recently discovered black beans and rice with salsa. Quick, cheap as hell and quite delicious.

I just bought 20 pints of fresh blueberries on sale at Kroger last week for 1.49 a pint. Divided them up in freezer bags of 4lbs a bag. I go through a 4lb bag a month.

This is the easiest time of the year to eat good. Been doing tons of grilled veggies like zucchini this summer.

Been on weight watchers with my wife for a few weeks and have recently discovered black beans and rice with salsa. Quick, cheap as hell and quite delicious.
Yeah, that's another one of my favorite cheap reasonably healthy meals; jasmine rice, black beans and some cheddar. If you're really watching calories, then no cheddar, but I have calories to spare. You're talking like $1 in supplies if that.

Sample day:

Snack - apple

Snack - yogurt

It was hard at first but now if I eat anything processed or unhealthy I get ill. This weekend I ate a burger at a BBQ and I had to run inside to throw up. The smell or even sight of fried food makes me nautious. If you stick with it long enough ypur whole system changes and you start craving vegetables instead of bacon or cheetos.

Good god. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I just had two angus burgers for lunch. I buy them frozen from costcos. Very tasty burgers. They come out to about a dollar a pop.

Hummus 10oz. $3.99

Celery bunch $1.99

42oz quick oats. $3.99

24oz raisins. $4.99

Limes. 5 for $1.00.

3 red mangos. $0.99 each

32 oz kefir yogurt drink

$2.19

Make your own kefir. The stuff you're buying is loaded with sugar and expensive.If you have an aldi by you shop there. I believe trader joes and them are affiliated and they share the same produce which is good and inexpensive. Easily I shave 40% off of food bill shopping there. Oh the kefir you buy, they have it for half the cost of the normal grocery store price.
I dont believe we have aldi or trader joes in the bronx.

How do I make kefir?
There are Aldi's all over New York, including the Bronx.

Sample day:

Snack - apple

Snack - yogurt

which would you rather eat. the burger or your girlfriends mothers cooking

Sample day:

Snack - apple

Snack - yogurt

It was hard at first but now if I eat anything processed or unhealthy I get ill. This weekend I ate a burger at a BBQ and I had to run inside to throw up. The smell or even sight of fried food makes me nautious. If you stick with it long enough ypur whole system changes and you start craving vegetables instead of bacon or cheetos.On that thought, why dont they make bacon cheddar cheetos?
Good god. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I just had two angus burgers for lunch. I buy them frozen from costcos. Very tasty burgers. They come out to about a dollar a pop.
It was the first time I had greasy red meat in well over a year. Nobody else got sick. As soon as I ate it I was a mess

Sample day:

Snack - apple

Snack - yogurt

It was hard at first but now if I eat anything processed or unhealthy I get ill. This weekend I ate a burger at a BBQ and I had to run inside to throw up. The smell or even sight of fried food makes me nautious. If you stick with it long enough ypur whole system changes and you start craving vegetables instead of bacon or cheetos.On that thought, why dont they make bacon cheddar cheetos?
It was the first time I had greasy red meat in well over a year. Nobody else got sick. As soon as I ate it I was a mess
Just noticed that you've made 1200+ posts in about 2 weeks. That has to be a record.

Sample day:

Snack - apple

Snack - yogurt

which would you rather eat. the burger or your girlfriends mothers cooking
She cooked some better stuff this weekend and I got to make a few things so maybe things are changing. I just dont have the constitution to eat certain things anymore, or to eat full meals. I snack on veggies throughout the day so I get full very fast if I try a full meal

Her cooking never made me ill

I purchased a pound of organic termuric from amazon for $16 dollars. Here is my recipe for turmeric tea if anyone wants to try

1 cup green tea

1 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon blackstrap mollases

Splash of almond and/or coconut milk

Its very tasty and good for you

I just bought 20 pints of fresh blueberries on sale at Kroger last week for 1.49 a pint. Divided them up in freezer bags of 4lbs a bag. I go through a 4lb bag a month.

This is the easiest time of the year to eat good. Been doing tons of grilled veggies like zucchini this summer.
Blueberries dropped to $0.99 at Aldi last week here. I bought a couple dozen and have them in my garage freezer.

Our monthly food budget is a variable $700 for my wife, a 4 year old, 2 year old, and I. I used to personal train, and still work with a few people, that pay cash only. We add whatever I make to the food budget. Start every month with $500 then add part of my personal training earnings.

Breakfast - oatmeal, banana, bagel. I can find each of those components for less than $0.15 per. Costco, Aldi, and Entemann's outlet respectively.

Pre workout - Spinach. We try to buy spinach when it's bogo ($2 per bag) and freeze one. Each lasts more than a week usually.

Post workout - Protein shake. Used to make my own, but now that I workout over lunch that doesn't work. The Costco stuff is like $1.25 per, but I've gotten it on sale for < $1 per before.

Lunch - sandwich (usually turkey or tuna), veggies + hummus. Veggie is usually cucumber or celery. Two cucumbers and a bundle of celery runs me about $2 at Aldi and it lasts a week. I always add spinach, tomato, and some kind of onion to my sandwich, regardless of what it is. Turkey is $2.99/pound at the deli and a 1/2 lb lasts me a week. Tuna varies, but can usually find it for < $1 per. We grow our own tomatoes (cheap!), but there's probably a more cost effective way for us to get onions. I usually just buy one ($1+) whenever we run out of one. Definitely is with hummus, but $6 at Costco for a tub that lasts me a month? That's fine. Because of the Entemann's outlet all of our bread is a $1 per, try to buy the good stuff right after it goes on the shelf then freeze for later use. Get a freebie with each purchase too and they usually have something we plan to use anyway.

Afternoon snack - cottage cheese, fruit. Right now fruit is blueberries because of the above. Tub of cottage cheese is like $6 at Costco, lasts me a couple weeks.

Haven't ever figured out exact cost of everything I eat during the work day, but it's probably less than whatever my co-workers spend on lunch. My wife is not as cost conscious with her at-work food budget, but she's pretty good too. She eats a few more grab and go things like nutrigrain bars and trail mix.

We spend our savings on alcohol and good meat and we try to end each month in the black by $100, so we can go out for a nice meal.

If anyone has a good hummus recipe they came up with please post it.
All you really need is chickpeas (15oz can), tahini (1/4C) and lemon juice (1/4C). After that, its just a matter of preference (or what you have on hand). Look at the pre-made stuff if you need inspiration / ideas.

Cant imagine how much money we're saved over the last 5 years or so making our own rather than buying pre-made. We eat a ton of it.

Users who are viewing this thread