What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Headed to Germany and Austria Tomorrow (1 Viewer)

garmisch and Innsbruck possible?

en route from Salzburg to fussen

I'll check them out, thanks for heads up.
we did a very large driving tour of Germany, Austria, Switzerland in 99. hit everything on your list, plus. loved everything.

i could do 1 night in Heidelberg, 1 night in Rothenberg (my favorite town)...check out the Christmas market and night watchman's tour.. 1-2 nights in Salzburg.

we did a very large driving tour of Germany, Austria, Switzerland in 99. hit everything on your list, plus. loved everything.

i could do 1 night in Heidelberg, 1 night in Rothenberg (my favorite town)...check out the Christmas market and night watchman's tour.. 1-2 nights in Salzburg.

so you would just do one night in Heidelberg and Rothenberg and add another city or two? Seems like a lot of trains.

so you would just do one night in Heidelberg and Rothenberg and add another city or two? Seems like a lot of trains.
you're not wrong. it is a lot of movement via train. we had a car, which made it much easier in some ways.

Except Frankfurt..,it kind of sucked 😂

yeah, just our landing spot...we have friends flying in for the Colts game that we might hang out with our last night but that's the only tentative plan for Frankfurt, just seems like a boring city with relatively little culture/things to do.
In Rothenburg just walking around the town is awesome. There was a walking tour when I went there at night that was very cool and a bit corny but still neat and worth doing.

Salzburg also just amazing to walk around as well. The old brewery there is amazing and worth the trip. Can’t remember the name but it is the main one and is like 500 years old or some shiit. We saw a classical concert in the castle on top of the town and that was a cool experience. The hot dog in the wall place. There are copies but there is one original one you go to.

Heidelberg I honestly don't remember too much but it was a cool setting. Maybe a schnitzel place that was in an old bank or something,

Never been to Fussen but if it’s in Bavaria region Im sure it’s cool!

Probably too early for the Christmas Markets but if they have any of those set up they are super fun too. They will melt your cynic heart like those Who’s in Whoville did the grinch.

I've only been to Salzburg among those cities, but it's really an amazing city. Heard great things about Heidelberg.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend downloading the "Rick Steves Audio Europe" app. He gives great step by step walking tours around various cities that you can listen to as you explore. I did it for Salzburg a few years back, and I'd be surprised if he doesn't have tours of at least a few of the other cities.

Last edited:
Except Frankfurt..,it kind of sucked 😂

yeah, just our landing spot...we have friends flying in for the Colts game that we might hang out with our last night but that's the only tentative plan for Frankfurt, just seems like a boring city with relatively little culture/things to do.
Salzburg also just amazing to walk around as well. The old brewery there is amazing and worth the trip. Can’t remember the name but it is the main one and is like 500 years old or some shiit. We saw a classical concert in the castle on top of the town and that was a cool experience. The hot dog in the wall place. There are copies but there is one original one you go to.
This is called Augustinerbrau - brewery started by Monks in 1621. I mentioned in my previous post.

Was stationed in Heidelberg for 3 years. Loved it. Obviously Heidelberg castle. Hit the downtown walkway. It's a no car stretch of shops and restaurants. Classic Germany. U traveling by car, train or tourist bus? Hitler bad. Hitler did create the Autobahn and great train system which is good. Sure it was for troop and supply movement but we get to enjoy it now. Miss driving 130 down that road and always having someone jam by u. Frankfurt has tons to do. Great museums. Sounds like your set on locations, but Berlin is wonderful. Have fun bro.

Last edited:
Was stationed in Heidelberg for 3 years. Loved it. Obviously Heidelberg castle. Hit the downtown walkway. It's a no car stretch of shops and restaurants. Classic Germany. U traveling by car, train or tourist bus? Hitler bad. Hitler did create the Autobahn and great train system which is good. Sure it was for troop and supply movement but we get to enjoy it now. Miss driving 130 down that road and always having someone jam by u. Frankfurt has tons to do. Great museums. Sounds like your set on locations, but Berlin is wonderful. Have fun bro.

we are attempting everything by train. on the flight now

we are attempting everything by train.
Absolutely works. Trains in Europe rock. We would buy quarterly train passes. Jump on the Heidelberg train with booze and no destination. End up wherever. It was always so random. Luved it. Be safe man. World is shady anymore. We rolled in packs of 5 or more back then.

Absolutely works. Trains in Europe rock. We would buy quarterly train passes. Jump on the Heidelberg train with booze and no destination. End up wherever. It was always so random. Luved it. Be safe man. World is shady anymore. We rolled in packs of 5 or more back then.

yeah, safety is of more concern than normal...we are purposely avoiding large city touristy type stuff for the most part. Salzburg is the largest city aside from one night in Frankfurt before we leave.

I'll definitely be on the lookout though.

Day 3 of trip

Rothenburg was awesome. So far Heidelberg has been too. We are doing an extra night in Salzburg and one night in Vienna per wife's requests....Fussen wil have to wait.

Trains from small town to small town not as easy as anticipated, we actually had a car break down on us which the locals have said is not uncommon due to lack of train car upkeep....I can see why people choose to drive. No regrets, just something worth noting if you are considering coming here.

The food has been better than expected and I'm somewhat snobby...we have found excellent places for lunch and dinner every day and night.

Last edited:
Day 3 of trip

Rothenburg was awesome. So far Heidelberg has been too. We are doing an extra night in Salzburg and one night in Vienna per wife's requests....Fussen wil have to wait.

Trains from small town to small town not as easy as anticipated, we actually had a car break down on us which the locals have said is not uncommon due to lack of train car upkeep....I can see why people choose to drive. No regrets, just something worth noting if you are considering coming here.

The food has been better than expected and I'm somewhat snobby...we have found excellent places for lunch and dinner every day and night.
Good to hear the trip is going well.

I love German food after a trip I took there and think it’s underrated. It’s heavy on the meats and potatoes but they always have some pickled vegetable or something to help the stomach

We had good meals in Salzburg and Vienna so I’m sure you'll be good there as well.

Last edited:
We have one night in Frankfurt if anybody has a suggestion...currently on train from Vienna to Frankfurt. We come back home Sunday.

OP, I seem to recall another FFA poster here mentioning a non-traditional German food that they loved when visiting Germany — a middle eastern “wrap” called doner kabob? My post isn’t to encourage you to specifically try that (you do you), but since you only have ~ 1 day left there, get a local delicacy there that you may not be able to get where you live — enjoy!

:captainobviousover:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread